GCM Grosvenor

Updated November 14, 2014
Updated November 14, 2014
3.2

Michael J. Sacks

fun people in a growing department

Former Employee - Computer Science Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Computer Science Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at GCM Grosvenor as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I got to work on my own project as well as work with a team on the applications they were developing. Everyone was so willing to help me whenever I needed it.

Cons

The internship program in the software dev department is still in its infancy; there were organizational roadblocks that could've made things easier.

It would have been nice if I were allowed to indicate what type of software development I'm interested in working on; they just placed me wherever they wanted with whatever projects they wanted. Obviously I want to contribute the best I can but receiving some more of my feedback would have been nice.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GCM Grosvenor full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Small company with big companies goals. Talented and committed IT staff, great people to work with. Innovative and forward thinking.

Cons

Limited work schedule flexibility. Sr level associates sould be empowered to lead and make decisions more rather than take direction.

Finance Associate

Current Employee - Finance Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Finance Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GCM Grosvenor full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing company. Wall Street Firm without the Wall Street culture

Cons

Little potential for promotion or salary increase

Great

I have been working at GCM Grosvenor

Pros

very smart people, who are eager to succeed. The commitment to clients is the overwhelming theme of the organization and no expense is spared to deliver. Great location in the heart of the city. Beautiful building and artwork.

Cons

upward mobility is limited if not part of inner clique. Departments are arguably silo'd

High standards, culture of excellence

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GCM Grosvenor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart, motivated people who are here to do great work. Collaborative atmosphere and a staff that is eager to learn make for a great working environment. Management cares about its people and the benefits are great.

Cons

If you need a lot of hand-holding or think you can get by putting in a minimal amount of effort, you will not last long.

Interns and new associates are given most of the attention regarding development and training, I would expand this to include everyone to identify and develop new leaders within the organization.

Culture and people make Grosvenor a great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GCM Grosvenor full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Grosvenor is an exciting place to be right now. Asset raising is strong and there are a lot of opportunities for strong performers. Generally speaking, the leadership of the firm is comprised of extremely talented people. The job is fast paced and demanding, but that is what keeps it exciting.

Benefits are excellent. Even as the firm grows, managment has done a great job of maintaining the culture.

Cons

The organization is relatively flat, which can be difficult for those who come from firms where promotion schedules are more standardized.

As the firm grows, continue to maintain the culture. Grosvenor has been able to retain its best people in large part because of the culture and the "people first" approach to managing the business.

The real picture of GCM Grosvenor

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at GCM Grosvenor full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only possible pro is compensation, which can go either way. If you find yourself in the "in" crowd, you won't have to much of a problem. They often won't question what you are working on, and being completely lazy and doing nothing is somewhat accepted here.

Cons

Biased opinions, lack of leadership, bullish people, arrogant individuals. The IT department at GCMLP has a lot to be desired. There is a clear lack of respect for management. It is worse than high school in most cases. You are either part of the "in" crowd or you are not. Rather than have productive discussions about improving processes, it often comes down to a "it's my way or I will interrupt you until you concede". Overall it lacks any sort of collaboration, consistency, or even growth. As on person said "This place is worse than high school"

My advice goes directly to those people in management outside the loop. You need to evaluate heavily who you put in charge. Ask yourself if these "leaders" you put on teams are actually doing what they should. Do they respect your authority? From my personal experience, they clearly do not. At this point you have a bunch of wasted time, and wasted money.

Great company, outstanding culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GCM Grosvenor full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Challenging work environment with a lot of smart people, great opportunities for career advancement, management is very accessible and interested in employees well being, business outlook is improving

Cons

If you need constant direction, this may not be the place for you

Maintain firm's strong culture

Great place to work!

I have been working at GCM Grosvenor full-time

Pros

Positive culture with really nice people. Senior management is accessible and cares about the firm's employees. It's a small firm with a mid-western feel where they hire a lot of smart and capable people.

Cons

The bar is set really high, so make sure you understand what expectations are from your team/manager.

Continue to encourage a healthy work environment.

Software Development - Anything but an example of doing things right

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at GCM Grosvenor as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a place where screaming and cursing at each other, putting down other team mates, and pointing fingers at others for your own failures is the norm than consulting in the Software Development is the place for you.

Cons

- The software development department claims to be Agile but the free-for-all process among the teams that changes on a daily basis is anything but.
    - People are moved around often and expected to learn new processes and new technologies without any support from management.
    - No on boarding process. You either sink or swim and since you are viewed as a expendable consultant you can be let go at any moment depending on the mood of management that day.
    - Lack of leadership and cocky attitudes from management/leaders
    - Teams are shoved into small rooms with no windows, closed doors, no trash cans and and anything but a breath of fresh air all in the name of 'collaboration'.

Grow up. If you want people to act like adults set an example. Take responsibility for the failures of the software development department instead of trying to blame every consultant who comes through your rotating door.