GDS International Reviews

Reset
3.4
GDS International CEO Oliver Smart
Oliver Smart

Pros
  • Nice people (for the most part), ping pong tables, and Christmas vacation (in 4 reviews)

• The NYC office is located directly on Wall St in the Trump Building (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No clear direction with job roles, upper management (in 4 reviews)

• Borderline boiler room sales floor (in 4 reviews)

1. The Real Deal

Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at GDS International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have had the pleasure of working with GDS International now for 1 year and 2 months. Reading through some the reviews there are many negative things that are said that I do not believe to be true. Though this job is not for everyone the nature of job is a stepping stone to be successful no matter what you do. Depending on your role, its primarily SALES and in this role we are expected to produce. I've been on the chopping block within this organization and have used that as a factor to make me do better. The training is great, the real world experience is second to none it is "The best business school I've never paid for" with tremendous support from all of my colleagues it is an office that lifts each other up as it has for me when I couldn't do it any more. Sure there is turnover unfortunately some were let go and others couldn't handle the reality that the phone didn't dial themselves so they quit, and sure there are things that I don't like but its not unique to GDS International but with every job I've had. If there was better product offering out there I'd be working there and not here, having attended some of our summits they have a product that is truly what they say it is, however it is up to the employees to make the projects we work on flourish. For any of those who read I recommend you follow what your heart tells you and no others - just a word of advice

Cons

As with any job there are things that we dislike with our current employers here is what I say. I'd like to close my own deals instead of priming them up for a Senior Salesperson, Refrigerator is never cleaned I swear some the food there has been than longer than I, I appreciate if other employees would respect existing client relationships, no email/templates on CRM/Outlook, commission brackets Bronze,Silver,Gold I rather get paid a flat commission instead of having to qualify for a higher bracket. Mild micro management.

Advice to Management

Better Opportunites for us to grow opening some additional offices in attractive cities LA or Texas

2. Room for Improvement

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at GDS International full-time

Pros

Great company with high earning potential, management needs to work on corporate culture and business ethics

Cons

Corporate culture and business ethics are lacking

Advice to Management

please improve corporate culture and business ethics

3. My Time at GDS

Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at GDS International (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to learn sales, also a very fun place to work, solid camaraderie between employees. Good Bonus options for sales comish and lots of fun prizes and trips to be won.

Cons

Micro Management, Out dated sales approach, also sometimes the product was not as good as we promised

Advice to Management

Stick to events and stay out of the print space, the GDS mags were by all accounts a weak product.

5. Senior Sales Executive

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at GDS International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great place to learn the basics of sales and how to engage with senior decision makers at Fortune 1000 companies. - GDS is a meritocracy and you're able to move up pretty quickly provided you deliver results. - The majority of the people you work with are great and motivated to do well. - Great opportunities for relocation and travel.

Cons

- Products - Micro management - Short sightedness

Advice to Management

- Good sales people DO NOT make good managers / leaders - Train managers on how to get the best out of their teams

6. k

I have been working at GDS International

Pros

great work environment to be in

Cons

majority of what you make is based on your sales skills, which isnt a bad thing, motivates you

7. Sales Manager

Former Employee - Account Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Director in New York, NY

I worked at GDS International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ping Pong tables, ability to travel, immerse yourself in new industries, opportunity to make money and learn some unique sales skills. You will learn how to sell to CEO's. Some fun people work here and like to hang out for drinks after work.

Cons

Questionable sales approach/ethics, If you are in sales a lot of your success depends on the event you are selling sponsorship for and the section of clients you can pitch. A good amount of turn-over. Benefits and compensation structure changed at least 3 times in 3 years while I was there. There seems to be a disconnect between the UK and NYC offices.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees feedback. If they have recommendations or feel that other processes could be put in place to succeed at a higher level then maybe take the time to hear them out.

8. Have your stuff together

Former Employee - Delegate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Delegate in New York, NY

I worked at GDS International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Jenn is a great manager. You need to have confidence, and bring your A game each day. I was successful in every sales role I have had besides this one. The product is basically how well you can sell yourself to people on the phone the first 25 seconds. If you're good at finance, you should stick to finance. This is not about selling a product as much as it is about selling yourself. They will give you an opportunity to stand out, and if you can't sell quick (3 months) you won't make it. I had unusual circumstances which distracted me from having organized leads and the right focus at work, but if you have the mental aptitude and confidence to keep swinging and a good phone personality you can get deals done. It's not easy though, organization and repetition with a little attitude and you might can do it. I didn't pan out more because of my disorganization outside of work. Don't trust your delegate co-workers when it comes to leads until you're baller enough to not care if they take one.

Cons

Difficult to crash through the same folks in the industry who get called on each season, each day. Product is not tangible - other than the solutions provided to the attendees. It's truly a people thing - pitching on personality not offering up a Lambo against a Cruze. Not the most honest lines given to open up the phone call, but that's any sales gig that doesn't really have a tangible product and you have to create initial interest to these big wigs "cheese" so it makes sense.. All in all, i think it truly depends on your work-ethic and ability to be okay with selling a product you don't know too much about.

Advice to Management

It's the nature of the job, sales is sales. I think Jenn is extremely compassionate and gives you the opportunity to stand out. She's a human being, not just a company head - meaning she does care about you, and will help you on a personal/work level. You're not splitting atoms here, you either sell or you don't. I think anyone with good personal confidence and determination can succeed here. I failed, and in another life with different outside work situation(s) i think i would at least bat average. I wouldn't etch a career here unless it was in MGMT but it's a great gig for lots of people, if anything a great experience on the real world.. Keep supporting folks and if it doesn't pan be honest with the product vs. the salesperson. Best of luck!

Most unethical company

I have been working at GDS International full-time

Pros

If you have the ability to make a lot of money at gds. Everyone is a lot of fun and your coworkers can become your family. A lot of incentives for sales and employees get out early on almost every Friday. Healthcare is basically free.

Cons

Favoritism. Managers are biased and pick their favorites. Senior members of staff are racist and sexist.

Advice to Management

Be careful of what you say. People are always listening and you don't want to work for a company that doesn't appreciate you. Be more professional.

Fun company culture with lack of transparency.

I worked at GDS International

Pros

There is room to make sizable commissions. The company takes out employees for 'team building' every couple months, aka parties. Good summer hours and European holiday schedule is quite nice, along with MUFTI (casual dress days). Training is also pretty in-depth.

Cons

The means by which GDS employees have to generate leads is unethical. Using fake names, numbers and insane tactics to contact CEOs is actually one of the more fun aspects of the job, but can make it difficult to look yourself in the mirror some days. The starting base salary is laughable in most cases. Some employees are great workers and generate most of the revenue, while a large portion of the office does absolutely nothing all day.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture fun and upbeat, but find a way to improve the overall lack of ethics throughout the organization.

MOST HONEST AND INSIGHTFUL REVIEW YOU WILL EVER NEED TO READ ABOUT GDS INTERNATIONAL

Former Employee - Industry Business Lead in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Industry Business Lead in New York, NY

I worked at GDS International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours: 8:15-5pm. 15 min break at 10am and then again at 3pm. Hour lunch from 12-1pm. Warning: YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE YOUR OWN LAPTOP FOR THE JOB. They have no internal computers on job site. Must use personal laptop. Location: In the Trump Building on Wall St. Salaries: Industry Business Lead (IBL) - They sell Sponsorships to CEOs, CMOs (they hold the budget), and SVP of Sales. Base salary $50k Delegate Acquistion - They get the end users to come to the events. Base salary $45k Business Anaylst - They just book meetings for their pod leader to try and pitch to make a sale. Base salary $40k Health benefits are good and they pay for it fully. Not bad salaries for those 3 positions. I was an IBL so my reveiw will mostly be from the perspective of that position. It is very true you need to "blag" how its called in the office in order to get CEO's cell phone numbers. I found this skill (although maybe you can say unethical as you're lying) to be a great way to get a hold of people and a great learning tool. Not just for business, but personal life as well. I don't see whats negative about the cell phone blagging, so out of everything about this company, they have taught me this skill in which not many people know and is useful in other sales gigs and life. Opportunity after acquring CEO's cell phone numbers to actually speak to them. I like how the headsets eliminate all noise but your voice. This allows someone on your team to listen to your call who is more experienced and tell you verbatum what to say on the phone. It's tough at first, but if you cancel out the person on the phone and just listen to your team member or management it's not that bad. I found that to be very creative on GDS's part.

Cons

For an IBL you MUST make at least one sale in your first 3 months or you will be fired, end of story. You will get compensated via a severance of your biweekly salary and paid your accrued vacation days when they let you go which is nice. I complained many times how I didn't have enough companies to my pod leader and the trainer and management. They all said, "Oh I can show you tons of companies you haven't found yet." So I said, "Ok great! Can you please help me find them then." Not ONCE was I ever assisted. See how I work? When I say something, I want to back it up to the best of my ability but not management. Pure shame they do not hold an integrity for themselves. GDS's entry level sponsorship package of a whooping $56,500 cannot afford sponsorship b/c for 95% of the companies you will call that is their entire budget for the year! All the big companies (1000 employees and up) are already taken, so you're cold calling the high hanging fruit in hopes that someone else isn't calling them and that they actually have funds to do a sponsorship. Then of course you're cold calling, which is extremely hard. Most of the time you're dealing with rejection. I believe cold calling is a dying art and the only sales jobs that are worth having are the ones where the leads come to you through traffic on a company website, not cold calling.

Advice to Management

You need to learn how to be more of a teacher and less of a company that uses their employees as a wet towel looking to wring it dry until they can get as much profit as possible and then let them go. If they get this concept, they can go to newer heights, but until then, they will constantly be a chop shop where people come and go monthly. I am not exaggerating.

RSS Feed </> Embed