GDS International

GDS International CEO Oliver Smart
Oliver Smart

Open Culture

I worked at GDS International

Pros

Good for those who love a challenge in sales.

Cons

If you don't like an open office environment, it's not for you.

MOST HONEST AND INSIGHTFUL REVIEW YOU WILL EVER NEED TO READ ABOUT GDS INTERNATIONAL

Former Employee - Industry Business Lead in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Industry Business Lead in New York, NY

I worked at GDS International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Hours: 8:15-5pm. 15 min break at 10am and then again at 3pm. Hour lunch from 12-1pm.

Warning: YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE YOUR OWN LAPTOP FOR THE JOB. They have no internal computers on job site. Must use personal laptop.

Location: In the Trump Building on Wall St.

Salaries:

Industry Business Lead (IBL) - They sell Sponsorships to CEOs, CMOs (they hold the budget), and SVP of Sales. Base salary $50k

Delegate Acquistion - They get the end users to come to the events. Base salary $45k

Business Anaylst - They just book meetings for their pod leader to try and pitch to make a sale. Base salary $40k

Health benefits are good and they pay for it fully.

Not bad salaries for those 3 positions. I was an IBL so my reveiw will mostly be from the perspective of that position.

It is very true you need to "blag" how its called in the office in order to get CEO's cell phone numbers. I found this skill (although maybe you can say unethical as you're lying) to be a great way to get a hold of people and a great learning tool. Not just for business, but personal life as well. I don't see whats negative about the cell phone blagging, so out of everything about this company, they have taught me this skill in which not many people know and is useful in other sales gigs and life.

Opportunity after acquring CEO's cell phone numbers to actually speak to them.

I like how the headsets eliminate all noise but your voice. This allows someone on your team to listen to your call who is more experienced and tell you verbatum what to say on the phone. It's tough at first, but if you cancel out the person on the phone and just listen to your team member or management it's not that bad. I found that to be very creative on GDS's part.

Cons

For an IBL you MUST make at least one sale in your first 3 months or you will be fired, end of story. You will get compensated via a severance of your biweekly salary and paid your accrued vacation days when they let you go which is nice.

I complained many times how I didn't have enough companies to my pod leader and the trainer and management. They all said, "Oh I can show you tons of companies you haven't found yet." So I said, "Ok great! Can you please help me find them then." Not ONCE was I ever assisted. See how I work? When I say something, I want to back it up to the best of my ability but not management. Pure shame they do not hold an integrity for themselves.

GDS's entry level sponsorship package of a whooping $56,500 cannot afford sponsorship b/c for 95% of the companies you will call that is their entire budget for the year! All the big companies (1000 employees and up) are already taken, so you're cold calling the high hanging fruit in hopes that someone else isn't calling them and that they actually have funds to do a sponsorship. Then of course you're cold calling, which is extremely hard. Most of the time you're dealing with rejection. I believe cold calling is a dying art and the only sales jobs that are worth having are the ones where the leads come to you through traffic on a company website, not cold calling.

You need to learn how to be more of a teacher and less of a company that uses their employees as a wet towel looking to wring it dry until they can get as much profit as possible and then let them go. If they get this concept, they can go to newer heights, but until then, they will constantly be a chop shop where people come and go monthly. I am not exaggerating.

Lord of the Flies- Survival of the Unfittest

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at GDS International

Pros

Persistence is a skill that is most definitely learned here. Music in the workplace is also a plus. Slightly above average vacation length.

And if you don't mind breaking( really I think incinerating is a more apt term) the rules of common courtesy and ethical professional behavior you can make a good bit of money. This is the ideal place for people who have not experienced a professional working environment. If you have not seen things done right you are more easily taught to do and say what is wrong.

Cons

The lack of structure and integrity prevents the company from reaching goals and maintaining a happy and productive workforce.

There is little to know account ownership. Sales persons are often calling the same leads. The customer management system may as well be non-existent. The "training program" is poorly planed (I'm being very kind here).

Most definitely the most unprofessional, immature and negative workplace experience I have ever had. "Off color " remarks and behavior are not only tolerated but egged on. Interoffice "relation"ships are overly abundant and constantly cause problems in the office. And if you should have the audacity to rebuff a coworkers advances be prepared to endure open ridicule and insults(from the individual and his cohorts). Also be prepared to stoop to their level to defend yourself.

Fabricating information (aka lying) to obtain potential client's personal cell phone numbers is common(daily) practice. Practically every deal closed begins with this not so innocent corruption of one's value system. Once one becomes accustomed to being rewarded for doing something so blatantly wrong, it's almost understandable that this dishonesty and disregard for what is right spreads to other areas.

Sales persons are told what to say to the prospect...word for word, in real time as the target is on the line. This might be a tool that would be useful in a training atmosphere. However it is almost always used. It serves to keep sales persons dependent and insecure. Most of the sales persons don't really know how to execute a sales call on their own successfully(again these "mimics" are charged with training new hires). Hmmmm.

There is definitely a "stroke the golden goose" mentality i.e. those who are bringing in deals have carte blanche to run amok, no matter how repugnant and clearly wrong their behavior is. So if you are new. Watch. Your. Back.
    You'll be the only one doing so. Most others will be sharpening their knives

Change happens from the top down. Be an example not a part of the problem.

An actual dedicated training department would be helpful.

Though I can understand the (financial) rationale of relying on employees who are no way qualified to properly train someone properly. I many cases these "trainers" have barely any experience in the roles themselves and are expected to continue to meet their own goals while "training" someone else. And they are not pleased about it. Misinformation does occur.

It's a total recipe for disaster, a highly toxic work environment and ill trained mostly naive new hires churned through the mix trained by those who have manage to survive(at the expense of their moral and professional integrity).

A real culture shift needs to occur in order for the business to thrive. In it's current incarnation it's simply a factory for turning easily influenced inexperienced sales persons into narcissistic, easily influenced, somewhat experienced sales persons with eroded value systems. No added value there!

Delegate

Current Employee - Delegate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Delegate in New York, NY

I have been working at GDS International full-time

Pros

Nice people (for the most part), ping pong tables, and Christmas vacation

Cons

Management is very inconsistent and you will hear different agendas from each one. If you want to sit on the phone every second of every day cold calling and maybe getting 4 people on the phone, then you will love it here. You will build no skill set at all and employees are swatted out like flies. The company does not care about its employees and this is no place to start. It's certainly not a place for career and its barely a job.

Not a great place to work

Current Employee - Delegate Acquisition Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Delegate Acquisition Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at GDS International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

In the Donald Trump Building on Wall st. You might earn a decent income.

Cons

No lead split, so it's a free for all. No CRM so on numerous occasions multiple account managers will reach out to the same lead. Management has no structure and you will get different answers from your 4 bosses. Expect to be micro-managed. Management is very disrespectful, causing a toxic work environment. Most importantly the organization lacks morals and ethics in the manner that they instruct you to source top executive's cell phone numbers.

Treat others how you would like to be treated. Using a letter split on leads will help to maximize coverage, prevent managers from contacting the same leads and not scare away a lead who is receiving 20 call from 5 different sales reps from the same company. Ethics and morals in the business world!!!!

Work with great people, but limited career potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at GDS International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to meet and work with c level executives among all industries. Great travel opportunities. Work with some of the greatest people, fun environment.

Cons

No clear direction with job roles, upper management. Salaries aren't great and poor career advancement

Not much guidance

I worked at GDS International

Pros

Give you the opportunity to work on your own

Cons

Had to constantly cell phone source for C-Level Executives

Understand the difficulty of reaching a CEO of a company

GDS

I have been working at GDS International

Pros

Great place, fun people, good experience

Cons

bad chain of command for the whole company

Wrong Values, Wrong Practices and a Good Product

Former Employee - International Sales Executive in Miami Beach, FL
    Former Employee - International Sales Executive in Miami Beach, FL

I worked at GDS International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Young and nice people.

Cons

The company has a long list of wrong doing that they don't let you know until 1 week after you are hired. You have to lie to get CEOs cellphone number. They suggest you pay for a service that pretend you are someone else on the phone. You have to lie to clients on a daily basis.

Invest on your people and improve then rather than discarding them as if they are nothing.

International Account Executive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at GDS International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very interactive work environment - Ping pong tables, vending machines, smoke breaks every 2 hours.

Cons

The most unprofessional work environment I've ever seen or heard of. Unfair and unethical management. Company is full of lies and deceit to get potential clients. Company partakes in illegal solicitation in order to get in touch with CEO's and other Executives.

GDS recycles employees like its their job. Someone gets fired and hired every single day. No job security. Boiler room environment. Lots of interoffice dating and affairs.

Its like working in a big Fraternity house.