GE

GE Reviews in Albany, NY

Updated Jul 4, 2014

GE Chairman & CEO Jeffrey R. Immelt

Jeffrey R. Immelt

Pros
  • Provides ample opportunity for growth in career , work -life balance is encouraged(in 123 reviews)

• Lots of opportunities to advance if you're willing to move around a lot(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Also most of the people i know who work here don't have much work life balance(in 132 reviews)

• Can be long hours but if you are good at planning your day, you will be more than fine(in 76 reviews)

101 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Place to work

Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) Schenectady, NY

ProsInnovation starts right at GE. Pay is great. Demographically equal.

ConsBuzz words get old. Use of acronyms is crazy at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo comment.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

GE is one of the best places to work

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee) Schenectady, NY

ProsVery good company for long term career development and growth. They invest in employee development and have plenty of job opportunities to challenge you over your career.

Conssalary increases are low unless you change jobs frequently (2-3 years), can be very bureaucratic and has pockets of if it's not invented hear, it has no value.

Advice to Senior Managementneed to value long term employees more. They have significant work experience that can avoid future issues

GE Strategist responded to this review

Jun 9, 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback. We do feel that GE is a great place to work as well however we always want to improve. This form of feedback is so helpful as we strive to always make GE better!

Mechanical Engineering Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Schenectady, NY

ProsGreat exposure to different projects, engineers I worked for/with were willing to give interns and co-ops challenging assignments.

ConsCreating an identity in such a large, corporate environment. I enjoyed working here but will aim to be employed in a smaller business (of course, any business us smaller than GE!).

Advice to Senior ManagementThe intern program was great, keep it up!

GE Strategist responded to this review

May 21, 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We enjoy gathering this feedback to make improvements at GE!
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great experience

Intern (Former Employee) Niskayuna, NY

Prosgreat opportunities to work with talented engineers/scientists on interesting projects

Consneeds some time to get used to the environment. 3-month internship is so short.

Um, evil empire anyone?

Ops Leader (Current Employee) Schenectady, NY

ProsGood paycheck for the job I guess and neat to learn new processes. Very historic area as well, so you can poke around locally or hope over to Boston or NYC.

ConsUnion is pretty hardass about everything and our pay is pitiful in comparison.
    Pretty bureaucratic, surprised me how little salaried folks know each other from other departments. Also surprised me how many problems we see on incoming parts and how fly by the seat of the pants everything is. I thought that wouldn't be the case with GE.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffice culture is pretty sterile, how about focusing on making production happen? Enforcing the contract and etc.

Very Social Culture, Poorly Organized

Sourcing Leader (Current Employee) Schenectady, NY

ProsSmart people, full of overachievers - can be cut-throat.Doing a good job is not enough. Someone else will take credit if you dont. Culture is always changing. Trying to streamline.
    Lots of growth opportunities, you are expected to move up every two years. Great opps for women and minorities. Lots of public services also. People are very responsive and expect you to be as well. Pay is low for country but high for the depressed area. People are very friendly, almost family like, once you are in and they know you're name.

ConsWork with union can be frustrating. Expect long hours and little to no appreciation. Lots of bureaucracy. IT is very behind and networks are slow and it takes forever to do simple tasks. Too many meaningless Reorgs with too many levels of high paid managers and no one to do the actual work. Busy work can be redundant and a bit ridiculous at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop Down Leadership is Needed. Vic Abate is doing this and was very needed. (Keep up the good work). Union needs to go if GE wants to stay competitive in long term. Lower level managers are given way too much power and take advantage of it without being properly training in people and leadership skills. HR needs more transparency and more support for employees. Also - invest in IT and find ways to recognize your people at all levels - positive feedback and regular recognition would go a long way. Better more relevant training is very needed, especially for the plethora of it programs that dont interact and one must use.

Unfortunate Waste of 6 of my Best Career Years

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) Schenectady, NY

ProsThe money was good for the area.

ConsNo matter how hard you work, if you're not one of the "chosen ones" you probably will not get the training needed to advance. To me, it seemed corrupt, far too competitive, and strategically controlled to benefit very few carefully chosen individuals. Not for me. Many others were unhappy but wouldn't dare say so for fear of retaliation, despite the "most ethical company" reputation they have somehow "earned."

Advice to Senior ManagementA little fairness goes a long way.

Good or bad depending on the manager

Engineer (Current Employee) Schenectady, NY

ProsGood name
    Access to other GE companies

ConsSome managers may not favor minorities
    Too many managers
    Managers focused on keeping their jobs and not benefit the company

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate some layers of managers

Innovative company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Niskayuna, NY

Prosgreat pay and benefits, facility comply with all OSHA safety standards.

Consworked a rotating shift for continuous operation of laboratories and facilities which meant nights and weekends.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

While providing excellent experience in a large corporation, the culture was overall very stressful and highly demanding

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Schenectady, NY

ProsGE was great company with regards to training, gaining experience, and flexible work arrangements when needed.

ConsThe bureaucratic red tape blocked new and innovative ideas from being worked quickly, internal politics were often very frustrating to work around, and communication between management was severely lacking to the point where collaboration was very difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people who get the work done on what their needs are. The employees work very hard and do want the best for the company. But they want to work smarter, not harder.

Worked for GE? Contribute to the Community!