GE Aviation

GE Aviation Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated Jul 14, 2014

GE Aviation President and CEO David L. Joyce

David L. Joyce

Pros
  • There's lots of opportunities to grow as an engineering student(in 14 reviews)

• Work-life balance is great, at least in my department(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to achieve any work-life balance, even at the beginning of your career(in 14 reviews)

• Large company and you can be lost in the shuffle if you do not "buddy up" to the powers in charge(in 10 reviews)

26 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Thinking Forward To Maintain Plant

Maintenance Mechanic Supervisor (Current Employee) Exeter, NH

ProsThinking Forward To Maintain Plant

Conscommunications with productions needs and maintenance Shifting Mechanical / electrical manpower supporting

Advice to Senior ManagementOperations and Maintenance Teamed

GE Aviation Recruitment Marketing Leader responded to this review

Jul 24, 2014

Thank you so much for your review and advice. We will certainly consider this feedback as we always look to improve.

Product Definition Engineer Intern

Product Definition Engineer Intern (Current Employee) Lynn, MA

ProsPay, co-workers, fun, management and social

ConsSame thing every day but it is okay

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Learn a lot as an Intern

Test Systems Design Engineer (Former Employee) Lynn, MA

ProsGreat people, interesting work, good pay and benefits. LOT of learning.

ConsGovernment bureaucracy brings everything to a standstill

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Intern Experience

Engineering Co-Op (Former Employee) Lynn, MA

ProsGE Aviation has a great co-op/intern program with lots of opportunities for networking and a great support system. I was quickly trained and given plenty of responsibility.

ConsThere was a lot of red tape in terms of onboarding (including getting set up on the computers and network). Site is large, which means lots of time wasted walking from building to building.

Internship in the rotation parts manufacturing plant in Lynn, MA

Manufacturing Intern (Former Employee) Lynn, MA

ProsI had exposure to the real products that were produced and opportunities to see other parts of the business and the processes for ensuring conformance to strict parameters.

ConsThe site has a majority of union workers and is very dependent on their cooperation. There is tension between the engineering management and the union workers - there is no balance of trying to work harder and being recognized.

Ungrateful, uncaring, disposable pawns of big business

Maintenance (Current Employee) Lynn, MA

ProsThe pay is ok, benefits are good compared to compatible companies. Working conditions are ok, some flexibility in work schedule.

Conscontinued degradation of pay and benefits, job overload,

Advice to Senior Managementtreat employee's as people

Great Benefits, Nice People, Solid Work

Performance Engineer (Former Employee) Lynn, MA

Pros+Industry-leading benefits. I almost believe they treat their employees too well!
    +GE is a household name, and GE Aviation credentials look great on a resume.
    +Managers care for your career and work with HR to lay out a plan for your advancement.
    +You have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge technology and interact with worldwide customers.
    +GE will often allow for flexible work arrangements or even working from home and telecommuting on occasion.

Cons-Customer focus is not all it could be. Being one of the biggest names in Aerospace comes with a sense of complacency.
    -Working with a unionized shop is incredibly frustrating.
    -The Edison program gives new hires a good chance to get exposed to many types of work, but it is difficult to get anything meaningful done during rotations.
    -There is some deadwood in the organization, and incompetent Engineers are often passed around or left alone rather than encouraged to seek employment elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementScrutinize the Edison program to make sure that you're hiring quality engineers. It's easier to weed out the deadwood early before it takes root. Weeding out long-term under-performers is bad for morale, but getting rid of them early and showing that you are committed to bringing in the cream of the crop is a boost to permanent employees.

Focus on the customer. Employees should be willing to work late or off-hours to get products out the door to save the customer money. Eventually someone else will come along and challenge GE's dominance if the company doesn't stay focused on delighting customers.

Intership Experience: Tase of Huge Company

Co-Op (Former Employee) Lynn, MA

ProsOverall a very good 6 month experience
    Worked as an intern - many opportunities for assignments across the US
    Large company so many opportunities for different roles as an intern
    Get a taste of navigating a very large organization
    Got an interesting perspective of Union v. Management relationships

ConsSize of organization makes changes and getting follow up difficult
    Worked in shop/operations environment - highlighted conflicting goals/incentives between functions - created hostile relationships occasionally
    Union Shops - Saw direct supervisors/management suffer as a result of Union policies

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the intern program going.

GE Aviation provides its employees with a vast amount of opportunities while being reasonable and flexible.

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Lynn, MA

ProsFlexibility, Salary, Work Environment (GE Culture), Security

ConsElectrical Engineers wouldn't have the most opportunity for technical work in electrical engineering at Aviation. GE Energy is better.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to try to give interns good, sustainable, and technical work.

Great first internship

PIC Intern (Former Employee) Lynn, MA

Pros-Everyone wants you to succeed. Made some great contacts. Eventually given serious work

Cons-Some serious down time, a lot of busy work at the start. The "adjustment period" is way too long and you get bored.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your interns have work to do before requesting one from HR

Worked for GE Aviation? Contribute to the Community!