GE Aviation

Updated October 30, 2014
3.7

GE Aviation President and CEO David L. Joyce
David L. Joyce

Pros
  • Great place to work and lots of opportunities for personal growth and development (in 11 reviews)

• Work-life balance is great, at least in my department (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to achieve any work-life balance, even at the beginning of your career (in 19 reviews)

• Large company and you can be lost in the shuffle if you do not "buddy up" to the powers in charge (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

109 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company which is dominating the marketplace in terms of technology and backlog.

Current Employee - Communications and Marketing in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Communications and Marketing in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Smart people, mature leadership team, incredible CEO, High performance, excellent media team

Cons

Hard to get beyond a point based on meritocracy. Too much of mutual admiration. We are good but not as good as we believe.

Shake it up a bit. Go beyond the tried and trusted. You will be surprised. Also, more humility and less "bullying" should be tolerated. People invest a lot of time and effort and take pride in their work but some people get away with just being rude and obnoxious with others since they are in the "good graces" of the Comms leader. Also, lots of investment in youth at the expense of experience which leads to sense of entitlement.

GE Aviation Response

Nov 22, 2014Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your transparent feedback! We appreciate your response and will certainly include your feedback and advice in looking at ways to improve our company. Thanks!

Exposed to various groups to work on projects as an Co-op/Intern

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Decent pay as an Co-op/Intern
    -Real life work that impacts the business on daily basis
    -Opportunity to apply to their prestigious EEDP program
    -Good support group for interns

Cons

-As seen any big company, flow of information is very restricted.

-Keep up the good job so far.

GE Aviation Response

Great feedback and advice! GE has recently made some steps into exactly what you are recommending. This is good feedback to encourage that we are moving in the right direction however have room for ... More

Great place to work

Current Employee - Assembly Mechanic (Union) in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Assembly Mechanic (Union) in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, overtime, and duties are not strenuous

Cons

Generation gap and some conflict between older and younger workers

Put people in positions that have experience, rather than running a company with 22-28 year olds

GE Aviation Response

Oct 24, 2014Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your response. We appreciate platforms like Glassdoor to help us make GE better.

Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of great engineering experience that will prove valuable in the future
    Many resources to accomplish a variety of tasks
    Was given many projects, but only if I kept asking for more work
    Good people to look up to in higher management

Cons

Big corporate environment where many on my team worked only as much as they had to
    Impersonal to the point that my boss consistently mistakenly called me the wrong name, even after I completed many projects by the end of the internship
    Upward mobility is highly subjective according to other employee feedback and not laid out well
    Often left waiting for others to complete their portion of the task, which causes projects to fall behind schedule

Program Manager

Current Employee - Program Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- You will learn alot
    - You will be able to do as much as you can

Cons

- Dont pay the best
    - Stress will be high
    - Bureaucracy!
    - Change is slow

Great Experience! Well Structured Company that makes every employee happy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone you work with is always willing to help no matter how busy they might be with their own work.

Cons

If you do not take network and take initiative to meet other employees you might get stuck in a small group and not know what is going on elsewhere in the company.

Improve retention rate on interns

GE Aviation Response

Sep 30, 2014Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you so much for your review. We value the feedback on this site. There are good things going on at GE... thank you for pointing that out!

Excellent Launch Pad

Current Employee - Edison Engineering Development Program in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are extremely competitive; this was the highest offer I received out of every Aerospace & Defense company I had an offer from (including Boeing, P&W, and Northrop Grumman).

Technical education is a huge focus--I came in with my Master's degree, but there are plenty of good programs to get a graduate degree while you work (e.g. you can get paid your full salary while going to school full-time).

Amount of volunteer events and fundraisers is absolutely ridiculous (in a good way). It's hard to choose what to even go to.

Cons

Senior management can feel a bit far away--you will get Q&A sessions with them but only occasionally. It's hard to see the business from their perspective sometimes.

Covering an engine test will destroy your life and schedule for a week or two.

Try and explain the business from your viewpoint more often. We won't understand the decisions that you make unless we have the same information as you.

GE Aviation Response

Aug 26, 2014Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Great feedback and advice! GE has recently made some steps into exactly what you are recommending. This is good feedback to encourage that we are moving in the right direction however, have room for ... More

Opportunities for any career path

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership training. Product ownership. Interfacing with customers and suppliers. Can take a variety of career paths from purely technical to project management to team management.

Cons

Site access issues. Multiple logon domains. Really this company is going to give you what you put into it. Like anywhere, it's up to you to manage your career and get the opportunities you want.

Constantly seek to sharpen and challenge your engineers, especially young ones, technically. Too often I hear engineers complaining that they are process managers and not product developers.

GE Aviation Response

Aug 19, 2014Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your feedback on this site. We know we always have room for improvement at GE. Transparent reviews and feedback like this will help us to continue to improve. We appreciate your pros ... More

An enormous and high-tech company committed to education and leadership development

Current Employee - Edison Engineering Development Program in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best part about GE is the people who work there. I've never come across such a vast collection of industry experts who truly care about the company, the product, and one another. Nearly everyone is friendly and eager to help you get questions answered, and develop and grow as a professional, while you are expected to deliver your share of the work on time with minimal oversight. Equally important is the commitment they have to education. Through the various development programs, which were largely pioneered here, one can quickly accelerate their growth as an industry and business professional while seeing multiple components of the business to find a niche, building technical depth, and in some cases earning a paid Master's degree simultaneously.

Cons

While large organizations are rife with opportunity, they can also face many obstacles which come with enormous growth- these include disorganization of information, productivity hindered by complex layers of bureaucracy, and a seemingly long climb to the top, compared with more entrepreneurial organizations. While there are many elements in motion to simplify day-to-day work and recognize and train talent, it is easy to get lost at a company like this if you don't stay on your toes. GE is very traditional and conservative; however, I sense more openness recently to new ideas and ways of thinking. Hopefully this is indeed a trend.

Higher level management should meet with young people at the organization to discuss ways to improve the business, recruit and retain new talent, and develop more efficient and modern tools for employees to use which leverage technology to get things done. While this company is big on innovation, I think more risks could (and should) be taken to really push the status quo instead of increase it incrementally over long periods of time, and inject truly groundbreaking technology into the industry. In other words, I believe GE is capable of innovating at an exponentially higher level than we currently do. Be bold. Change the world. We certainly have the capital and the internal infrastructure to do it.

GE Aviation Response

Going into my 3rd year of the Edison program (directly hired out of undergrad)

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

GE provides a stable job and a program to help new hires gain experience in the engineering world. The program allows you to rotate into any position you find interesting every year, though I hear they have plans to cut that down. Stability trumps everything here: if you are looking for a place to settle down, have kids, and then retire with little risk and no excitement or adventure, this is the place to do it.

Cons

1)The pay is well below industry standards, but they justify it by saying "you get to work on something interesting, so we can pay you less". This excuse will be used directly to you in "All Hands" meetings.
    2)GE Aviation is in the Midwest (on Ohio, of all places), and thus you will constantly be surrounded by mediocrity. If you are ambitious and have the drive to be "a step above", this is definitely not the place for you. In Cincinnati, you will constantly be surrounded by people who praise mediocrity. Be prepared to be surrounded by people who:
    -Hang out with their high school friends (why meet new people? I'm OKAY with these ones)
    -Work at GE forever, though they aren't passionate about it (why find a new job? I'm okay with this one)
    -Marry the first person who won't dump them (Why meet someone new? I'm okay with this person)
    -Live in Ohio, forever (why see new places? I'm okay with this place).
    This mentality is poisonous. and is constantly within everything that happens.
    3)This is, of course, a big company that doesn't care about the employees. Remember: the second you stop producing for them, the second they forget about you completely.

The front-line managers have all been great - they know their stuff, they put in the hours, and they really care about the team. Upper management doesn't really care about anything outside of the bottom line, and everyone knows that you have to suck the power-teet to grab the attention of the execs to move up.