GE Aviation

GE Aviation President and CEO David L. Joyce

David L. Joyce

92 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fantastic Place to Learn and Grow

GE Aviation Co-Op (Former Employee)
Cincinnati, OH

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern for more than a year

ProsThe best reason to work at GE Aviation is the excitement of the product that they make, the relevance of jet engine technology, and getting to work with very reliable, intelligent, and talented people. My time spent at GE (as a co-op) was very fun and exciting. There is so much to learn from GE Aviation.

ConsThere is ALWAYS work to do. Work/life balance can be hard to maintain. Sometimes people can seem stressed.

great and interesting in meeting new people

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat benefit in knowledge and get the best out of excellent people

Consleadership training, training in general work environment.

Advice to Senior Managementpromoting faster

Fine

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern for less than a year

ProsReally big name, great company to have on your resume

ConsUnless you are an engineer, good luck getting promoted. Engineers > GOD here.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart valuing other assets- supply chain management professionals should not be overlooked by a guy with an engineering degree. Valuable, not interchangeable.

Very easy to get pigeon holed into one job and get stuck there if you don't play the game.

Engineering Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for more than a year

Pros-Biggest company in the world, lots of potential for advancement
-After hours classes, development opportunities

Cons-You have to be good at playing the corporate game to advance, doing your job well doesn't matter as much as drinking the kool-aid.
-Developing yourself with offered courses / development programs is great but doesn't guarantee you will get noticed or even acknowledged.
-work is very structured, little room for innovation (imagination at work, yea right). tasks become repetitive and monotonous and soul crushing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like people and not a metric on a sheet of paper. Cut the 9-blocker horseshit, when everyone in your group is performing at a top level, you can afford to reward all of them. Don't be a coward.

Front-row seat to engine development

Lead Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe product couldn't be more challenging and exciting, and the singular industry goal of relentlessly improving fuel economy adds a feel-good factor for someone with a disposition toward environmental stewardship (if we're all gonna fly and burn up all this fuel, lets optimize the machine). I've never worked with so many people who are uninterruptedly driven and goal-focused. The people I've worked with have broad technical aptitude (but my impression is that this has come at the expense of depth in the last decade or two). My work has been interesting, and my direct management has allowed me the space to really learn something, and work toward the basic understanding necessary to build the path from technical problem identification, to physical understanding, to prediction and solution. It's been fun.

ConsThere is a buzzword and initialism culture, which makes it difficult to understand one another. At first, I thought that I was the only one who couldn't understand what most people here mean half the time, but I've come to realize that this is pervasive. Imprecise language plagues this place and makes technical misunderstandings common. For someone whose work requires a lab bench and some lab equipment, the facilities can be painfully lacking and often so poorly maintained that its not feasible to do routine lab work (at least not well). There is a culture among many important people (i.e. not my immediate management, but those who hold the purse strings) that, through their attitude and through funding decisions, disrespects science and physical understanding, but wishfully wants the technical progress that enables anyhow. This sets the conditions for a sometimes slow, painful, and expensive learning process through trial and error, while deeper more broadly-applicable lessons could have been learned with a more deliberate front-end program aimed at understanding. Finally, don't assume management will necessarily allow you to pursue another opportunity within GE, even if that advances your career in the direction you want, and even if that other organization is inviting you to apply. The business can be greedy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTechnology development through brute-force is not always the most useful path.

It was a great summer experience that will be hard to follow by other companies in the Corporate Finance World.

Financial Management Program (Former Employee)

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern for less than a year

ProsGE Aviation in Cincinnati gave me the opportunity to explore a new city, interact with people from all over the country, gave me exposure to an industry that has pretty distinct features in comparison to other industries, and helped me learn about the accounting model of the firm.

ConsIt's difficult to know where you will be in the next six months, and because mobility is such a big part of GE culture, don't expect to stay in one place for too long.

Great job, will be here for a very long time

Test Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for more than a year

ProsLeading edge of the aviation industry, I get to work with incredibly talented individuals, good pay, good benefits and the stability of a big name like GE is nice.

ConsCan sometimes be top heavy, I think the management structure could probably be reworked a bit, as with any large corporation sometimes things move slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf simplification is the name of the game then make it easier for the lower level engineers to get ideas up the food chain faster. Simplify the simplification processes.

Great opportunities for leadership and growth - it's up to you to make it to happen

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat training/mentoring opportunities abound - at all career levels
Great teaming environment - teams focused on success for the project/program/business
Significant opportunities to make a business impact -

ConsHard to balance home-work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to stop using metrics for everything - they tend to drive the wrong behavior

It was a worth while experience. Very educational.

Engineering Co-Op (Former Employee)

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern for less than a year

ProsLearned a lot about engineering process and experience trumps any lesson that is offered in a traditional classroom. The people were friendly and willing to help, especially early in the co-op.

ConsWhile people were willing to help, there was a fair bit of gossipy backstabbing and competition to win over the managers favor. It's to be expected in most cooperate environments, though.

Fantastic Company with Lots of Opportunity

Infra Business/Operations Co-op (Current Employee)
Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat company to work for, lots of opportunities to network and lots to learn. The people are some of the brightest you will ever meet.

ConsCo-ops don't have much choice in their assignments.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive co-ops more say based on what they are interested in pursuing.

Worked for GE Aviation? Contribute to the Community!

GE Aviation Videos

GE Aviation – Why Work for Us?

At GE Aviation, we are imagination at work. Whether we’re manufacturing components for our GEnx engines or driving innovation in fuel and noise reduction, the GE Aviation teams are dedicated to turning imaginative ideas… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GE Aviation reviews and ratings in Cincinnati, OH — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GE Aviation CEO David L. Joyce. All 92 reviews posted anonymously by GE Aviation employees.