GE Aviation

Updated October 30, 2014
3.8

GE Aviation President and CEO David L. Joyce
David L. Joyce

Pros
  • Great place to work and lots of opportunities for personal growth and development (in 11 reviews)

• Work-life balance is great, at least in my department (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to achieve any work-life balance, even at the beginning of your career (in 19 reviews)

• Large company and you can be lost in the shuffle if you do not "buddy up" to the powers in charge (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

114 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Opportunities for any career path

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership training. Product ownership. Interfacing with customers and suppliers. Can take a variety of career paths from purely technical to project management to team management.

Cons

Site access issues. Multiple logon domains. Really this company is going to give you what you put into it. Like anywhere, it's up to you to manage your career and get the opportunities you want.

Constantly seek to sharpen and challenge your engineers, especially young ones, technically. Too often I hear engineers complaining that they are process managers and not product developers.

GE Aviation Response

Aug 19, 2014Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your feedback on this site. We know we always have room for improvement at GE. Transparent reviews and feedback like this will help us to continue to improve. We appreciate your pros ... More

An enormous and high-tech company committed to education and leadership development

Current Employee - Edison Engineering Development Program in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best part about GE is the people who work there. I've never come across such a vast collection of industry experts who truly care about the company, the product, and one another. Nearly everyone is friendly and eager to help you get questions answered, and develop and grow as a professional, while you are expected to deliver your share of the work on time with minimal oversight. Equally important is the commitment they have to education. Through the various development programs, which were largely pioneered here, one can quickly accelerate their growth as an industry and business professional while seeing multiple components of the business to find a niche, building technical depth, and in some cases earning a paid Master's degree simultaneously.

Cons

While large organizations are rife with opportunity, they can also face many obstacles which come with enormous growth- these include disorganization of information, productivity hindered by complex layers of bureaucracy, and a seemingly long climb to the top, compared with more entrepreneurial organizations. While there are many elements in motion to simplify day-to-day work and recognize and train talent, it is easy to get lost at a company like this if you don't stay on your toes. GE is very traditional and conservative; however, I sense more openness recently to new ideas and ways of thinking. Hopefully this is indeed a trend.

Higher level management should meet with young people at the organization to discuss ways to improve the business, recruit and retain new talent, and develop more efficient and modern tools for employees to use which leverage technology to get things done. While this company is big on innovation, I think more risks could (and should) be taken to really push the status quo instead of increase it incrementally over long periods of time, and inject truly groundbreaking technology into the industry. In other words, I believe GE is capable of innovating at an exponentially higher level than we currently do. Be bold. Change the world. We certainly have the capital and the internal infrastructure to do it.

GE Aviation Response

Great feedback and advice! GE has recently made some steps into exactly what you are recommending. This is good feedback to encourage that we are moving in the right direction however have room for ... More

Going into my 3rd year of the Edison program (directly hired out of undergrad)

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

GE provides a stable job and a program to help new hires gain experience in the engineering world. The program allows you to rotate into any position you find interesting every year, though I hear they have plans to cut that down. Stability trumps everything here: if you are looking for a place to settle down, have kids, and then retire with little risk and no excitement or adventure, this is the place to do it.

Cons

1)The pay is well below industry standards, but they justify it by saying "you get to work on something interesting, so we can pay you less". This excuse will be used directly to you in "All Hands" meetings.
    2)GE Aviation is in the Midwest (on Ohio, of all places), and thus you will constantly be surrounded by mediocrity. If you are ambitious and have the drive to be "a step above", this is definitely not the place for you. In Cincinnati, you will constantly be surrounded by people who praise mediocrity. Be prepared to be surrounded by people who:
    -Hang out with their high school friends (why meet new people? I'm OKAY with these ones)
    -Work at GE forever, though they aren't passionate about it (why find a new job? I'm okay with this one)
    -Marry the first person who won't dump them (Why meet someone new? I'm okay with this person)
    -Live in Ohio, forever (why see new places? I'm okay with this place).
    This mentality is poisonous. and is constantly within everything that happens.
    3)This is, of course, a big company that doesn't care about the employees. Remember: the second you stop producing for them, the second they forget about you completely.

The front-line managers have all been great - they know their stuff, they put in the hours, and they really care about the team. Upper management doesn't really care about anything outside of the bottom line, and everyone knows that you have to suck the power-teet to grab the attention of the execs to move up.

Good

Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

challenging, good support for women

Cons

long work hours, too much emphasis on meeting quarterly numbers

na

Jul 24, 2014Recruitment Marketing Leader

Thank you so much for your transparent feedback. We are always looking to simplify and improve the experience for your career at GE.

Engineering Co-op with GE Aviation - PIC

Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Controls Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, lots of younger people and events to get to know co-workers. Always busy at work.

Cons

Lots of hoops to jump through when getting company access to software or files.

Jul 24, 2014Recruitment Marketing Leader

We appreciate your feedback. We will certainly consider this feedback as we always look to improve.

This is a great company to work for if you want to live a comfortable life and nothing more.

Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fair compensation
    Works hard on continuous improvement
    Leadership courses
    Pay for grad school 100%
    Decent benefits

Cons

Overworked
    Work/Life Balance
    Promotions seem based more on favoritism than merit
    Positions are fairly narrowly scoped due to the company size making job satisfaction difficult at times

Treat everyone fairly

Jul 24, 2014Recruitment Marketing Leader

We appreciate your review. It is so helpful to have feedback such as this to make GE a better place to work. Thank you for the transparent outline and thoughts.

Great company for personal development

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Established company culture and a big push for personal development and leadership growth

Cons

Very slow processes, especially HR related such as onboarding

GE Aviation Assembly and Quality Internship

Current Employee - Assembly Co-op in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Assembly Co-op in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive pay, flexible schedule, numerous co-op events and career advancement opportunities. Overall the opportunities with GE are endless and their approach for harboring in new talent is great.

Cons

I am sure that overall the GE work environment is friendly and encouraging, because I have read many positive reviews and heard first hand about people's positive experiences with the co-op program. However, my particular experience has been more negative than positive. I have been placed far from my preferred field, and the culture around the "office" tends to be a constant battle between hourly and salary employees, with both parties focusing on the negative rather than working together to move forward.

Co-op office: place interns in a department they have interest in.

Fantastic Place to Learn and Grow

Former Employee - GE Aviation Co-Op in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - GE Aviation Co-Op in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The best reason to work at GE Aviation is the excitement of the product that they make, the relevance of jet engine technology, and getting to work with very reliable, intelligent, and talented people. My time spent at GE (as a co-op) was very fun and exciting. There is so much to learn from GE Aviation.

Cons

There is ALWAYS work to do. Work/life balance can be hard to maintain. Sometimes people can seem stressed.

great and interesting in meeting new people

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great benefit in knowledge and get the best out of excellent people

Cons

leadership training, training in general work environment.

promoting faster