GE Aviation

GE Aviation Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

GE Aviation President and CEO David L. Joyce

David L. Joyce

Pros:
  • "There's lots of opportunities to grow as an engineering student"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Work-life balance is great, at least in my department"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Difficult to achieve any work-life balance, even at the beginning of your career"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Large company and you can be lost in the shuffle if you do not "buddy up" to the powers in charge"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to have worked. Retired with good benefits.

Electronic/Mechanical Maintenance and Repair (Former Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsGood pay, working conditions, and benefits.

ConsNothing negative to say about GE.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood company. No advice.

Great Intern Experience

Engineering Co-Op (Former Employee)
    Lynn, MA

ProsGE Aviation has a great co-op/intern program with lots of opportunities for networking and a great support system. I was quickly trained and given plenty of responsibility.

ConsThere was a lot of red tape in terms of onboarding (including getting set up on the computers and network). Site is large, which means lots of time wasted walking from building to building.

Learning Experience

Test Engineer (Former Employee)
    Peebles, OH

ProsGreat Work life balance Encouraged by management to try new things and get involved in The Community. Good Compensation and benefits

ConsBecause we're here in Peebles, we don't feel as connected with what's going on in other locations, and we sometimes feel like we get the short end of the stick

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very easy to get pigeon holed into one job and get stuck there if you don't play the game.

Engineering Designer (Current Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

Pros-Biggest company in the world, lots of potential for advancement
    -After hours classes, development opportunities

Cons-You have to be good at playing the corporate game to advance, doing your job well doesn't matter as much as drinking the kool-aid.
    -Developing yourself with offered courses / development programs is great but doesn't guarantee you will get noticed or even acknowledged.
    -work is very structured, little room for innovation (imagination at work, yea right). tasks become repetitive and monotonous and soul crushing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like people and not a metric on a sheet of paper. Cut the 9-blocker horseshit, when everyone in your group is performing at a top level, you can afford to reward all of them. Don't be a coward.

Quality Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompensation and Benefits are Good..

ConsSome Operational Leaders needs more people skills...

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Front-row seat to engine development

Lead Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsThe product couldn't be more challenging and exciting, and the singular industry goal of relentlessly improving fuel economy adds a feel-good factor for someone with a disposition toward environmental stewardship (if we're all gonna fly and burn up all this fuel, lets optimize the machine). I've never worked with so many people who are uninterruptedly driven and goal-focused. The people I've worked with have broad technical aptitude (but my impression is that this has come at the expense of depth in the last decade or two). My work has been interesting, and my direct management has allowed me the space to really learn something, and work toward the basic understanding necessary to build the path from technical problem identification, to physical understanding, to prediction and solution. It's been fun.

ConsThere is a buzzword and initialism culture, which makes it difficult to understand one another. At first, I thought that I was the only one who couldn't understand what most people here mean half the time, but I've come to realize that this is pervasive. Imprecise language plagues this place and makes technical misunderstandings common. For someone whose work requires a lab bench and some lab equipment, the facilities can be painfully lacking and often so poorly maintained that its not feasible to do routine lab work (at least not well). There is a culture among many important people (i.e. not my immediate management, but those who hold the purse strings) that, through their attitude and through funding decisions, disrespects science and physical understanding, but wishfully wants the technical progress that enables anyhow. This sets the conditions for a sometimes slow, painful, and expensive learning process through trial and error, while deeper more broadly-applicable lessons could have been learned with a more deliberate front-end program aimed at understanding. Finally, don't assume management will necessarily allow you to pursue another opportunity within GE, even if that advances your career in the direction you want, and even if that other organization is inviting you to apply. The business can be greedy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTechnology development through brute-force is not always the most useful path.

Great experience, not seeking full-time hire though

ProsGreat work experience. Give interns legitimate projects

ConsSeemed like the typical big american company.

It was a great summer experience that will be hard to follow by other companies in the Corporate Finance World.

Financial Management Program (Former Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsGE Aviation in Cincinnati gave me the opportunity to explore a new city, interact with people from all over the country, gave me exposure to an industry that has pretty distinct features in comparison to other industries, and helped me learn about the accounting model of the firm.

ConsIt's difficult to know where you will be in the next six months, and because mobility is such a big part of GE culture, don't expect to stay in one place for too long.

Strother Field site has great people to work with - a true team environment

Lead Quality Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsMeaningful work - supply engines for commercial & military use
    Great experience with a variety of customers and regulatory bodies
    Opportunity to travel for training and audits

ConsOften stressful, time crunched work
    Long hours - minimum of 10 a day
    Multiple layers adds to complex work environments and expectations

Great job, will be here for a very long time

Test Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cincinnati, OH

ProsLeading edge of the aviation industry, I get to work with incredibly talented individuals, good pay, good benefits and the stability of a big name like GE is nice.

ConsCan sometimes be top heavy, I think the management structure could probably be reworked a bit, as with any large corporation sometimes things move slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf simplification is the name of the game then make it easier for the lower level engineers to get ideas up the food chain faster. Simplify the simplification processes.

Worked for GE Aviation? Contribute to the Community!

GE Aviation Videos

GE Aviation – Why Work for Us?

At GE Aviation, we are imagination at work. Whether we’re manufacturing components for our GEnx engines or driving innovation in fuel and noise reduction, the GE Aviation teams are dedicated to turning imaginative ideas… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GE Aviation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GE Aviation CEO David L. Joyce. All 335 reviews posted anonymously by GE Aviation employees.