GE Aviation

Updated Jun 28, 2014

GE Aviation President and CEO David L. Joyce

David L. Joyce

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good software internship experience with normal frustrations of a big company

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
    Grand Rapids, MI

Proshands-on technical work experience, good team members that were supportive, good pay for an intern position, flexible hours, overtime, subsidized housing/travel costs, inclusive atmosphere, incentives for being healthy (food, gym, etc)

ConsTakes two weeks to get everything settled (software downloads require approval by at least two upper-level executives), big projects can be frustrating when other teams aren't on the same page

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the internship program more structured, and try to find a faster way to make setting up the computers/ software

Great talent, but ack of support, benefits, and pay

Sub-Section Manager (Current Employee)
    Grand Rapids, MI

ProsGE Aviation, Grand Rapids has a great group of talented people. GE offers many training opportunities. GE has on-site health classes (yoga, Zumba)

ConsI wish upper management knew how to appreciate the people. We no longer have bonuses, but upper management does. Our benefits are sub-par. Raises are slight and do not account for cost of living increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize your people. Treat them fairly.

Imagination at Work? I'd like to imagine decent benefits and cost-of-living adjustments.

Engineering Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Grand Rapids, MI

ProsWork-life balance is great, at least in my department.

ConsHealth insurance is almost nonexistent. Deductibles are so high that I can't afford to take my children to the doctor when they need it. We used to have high-walled cubicles, which was bad enough. The company has recently moved us into tiny chest-high cubicles, which we all hate. The work area is freezing, and the layout reminds me of photos of the sweatshops of the early 1900s. I have to believe it makes it hard to recruit new employees when the candidates see these conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer health insurance of a quality commensurate with the size of GE; this isn't a mom-and-pop operation. Devise a salary structure that at least keeps pace with inflation.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for - some of the most talented engineers all in one place!

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee)
    Grand Rapids, MI

ProsGood pay, great work - enjoyed working with so many talented engineers.

ConsJob security - random layoffs happened near years end (Christmas) to help make financial numbers.

Good Company but struggling to find its identity

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Grand Rapids, MI

ProsGreat coworkers and interesting projects

ConsIf you'd like a technical career path you lack opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs to place more emphasis on training and mentoring

Potential to be great, but stiffs interns on projects.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Grand Rapids, MI

ProsLooks great on a resume and coworkers are great.

ConsInterns are used to take of the dirty work. If your team lead doesn't want to edit an XML file or document something, expect it to be passed onto the team. GE also uses archaic tools from the 90s and legacy systems so if you're looking to learn new technologies, please look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive interns real work. Stop treating them like dirt and maybe you can attract talent.

Welcome to 10 years ago....

Grand Rapids, MI

ProsGE is a fairly stable company. It's not immune to downturns, but it is mostly stable. Additionally, since there are so many different businesses within GE, and so many different sites, its fairly easy to move around. Salary pay is alright, and they still do pay for some overtime (up to 55 hours, the first 5 over 40 is unpaid).

Cons- Continual re-organization of each division.
    - Program management continually promises things to customers before even checking if engineering has the bandwidth to do the additional work.
    - All training is management focused. There is very little technical training.
    - Their IT department is one of the most disorganized and inefficient organizations I've ever seen.
    - Most of the tools are old, not well suited for modern development practices like Agile, Continuous Integration, etc.
    - Heath benefits are not great.
    - Your skillset will get stale, there isn't much room for adding in new technologies (web, mobile, etc.)

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that Aviation is an engineering company. Engineers

IMHO

Lead Engineer/Technologist (Former Employee)
    Grand Rapids, MI

ProsLots of opportunities to learn and work on latest aircraft

ConsHigh pressure, sluggish management, click-ey

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees, allow some personal life, listen to your employees when they suggest that something will take a certain amount of time. Just because the PM agrees to an unreasonable schedule, does not make it an achievable one.

Not Recommended for a Career

Grand Rapids, MI

ProsLarge company with diverse career opportunities if willing to relocate.
    Wide range of training programs.

ConsComplex and bureaucratic organization that struggles to keep customers satisfied.
    Cumbersome processes and the lack of basic tools make even the most simple tasks burdensome.
    Extremely internally focused.
    Management views the only place that talent exists is external to the company - maybe good if you're a new hire. However, the majority of the new hires lack industry and domain expertise and experience.
    Aoorly run and disfunctional company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the customer in your actions, not just in your words. Take care of your employees that are not Exec Band. Get out of your offices and communicate.

Good Pay, but not worth the effort

Lead Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
    Grand Rapids, MI

Pros-Good Pay compared to other companies in the area
    -Health benefits aren't great, but other GE benefits and discounts are nice
    -Very good for leadership training
    -Surrounded by very smart people

Cons-Everyone is overworked to the point of mental breakdown
    -Health benefits aren't very good
    -Too much focus on meeting lofty leadership goals while being worked ragged to meet project goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention! Some of the best employees are taking serious pay cuts to leave for better work and the ability to see their family occasionally.

Worked for GE Aviation? Contribute to the Community!

GE Aviation Videos

GE Aviation – Why Work for Us?

At GE Aviation, we are imagination at work. Whether we’re manufacturing components for our GEnx engines or driving innovation in fuel and noise reduction, the GE Aviation teams are dedicated to turning imaginative ideas… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GE Aviation reviews and ratings in Grand Rapids, MI — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GE Aviation CEO David L. Joyce. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by GE Aviation employees.