GE Aviation Reviews

441 reviews filtered by
3.7
GE Aviation President and CEO David L. Joyce
David L. Joyce

Pros
  • Great place to work and lots of opportunities for personal growth and development (in 11 reviews)

• Work-life balance is great, at least in my department (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to achieve any work-life balance, even at the beginning of your career (in 19 reviews)

• Large company and you can be lost in the shuffle if you do not "buddy up" to the powers in charge (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Challenging and Supportive Environment

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very focused on leadership development and challenging roles to grow career
    Very supportive team and leadership environment

Cons

Challenging work / life balance
    Expectation to relocate to grow career

GE Aviation Response

Jan 29, 2015Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you so much for your review. We value the feedback on this site. There are good things going on at GE... thank you for pointing that out!

2. Overall, a very good company and positive work experience.

I worked at GE Aviation (more than 3 years)

Pros

GE is a very large company and they still find and focus on ways to innovate in order to stay at the forefront of technology and improve products and services for both customer and company benefit.

Cons

Being a very large company, one can easily be "just a number" and when a business isn't meeting the bottom line it is often the people that get cut.

Advice to Management

GE spends billions on R&D and other programs, and should look for ways to keep employees employed first, and find other ways to cut costs or makeup for business (sometimes management) deficiencies.

3. Lead SW Engineer

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Evendale, OH
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Evendale, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Highly technical and motivating work

Cons

Highly stressful Job with long hours

5. Fantastic Opportunities as an Intern

Current Intern - EID Intern/Co-op in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Intern - EID Intern/Co-op in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at GE Aviation as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great culture of employees who are passionate about their job and the products that they develop. After 3 internships with GE Aviation I was able to develop my communication skills and learn how to work effectively on my own and in a team environment. Employees are always willing to let you sit in on their work and learn what it is that they are doing. Internships with GE are a great resume boost for any college student.

Cons

More than likely you will spend the first week of work waiting to access to files, servers and programs because your computer isn't there or your key-fob hasn't yet arrived. Sometimes managers get interns without knowing exactly what they will be doing until a week or two into the summer.

Advice to Management

Be prepared for your intern! Nothing is more frustrating then showing up to your internship and being unable to access anything for the first week or two of work.

6. Intern

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Evendale, OH
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Evendale, OH

I worked at GE Aviation

Pros

-Good Manager who gave me opportunities to contribute to team
    -Good Pay

Cons

-Forced to learn from book/binder often, not always trained by associates

Tides of Change

Current Employee - Program Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation

Pros

Great technical product, plenty of challenges and opportunities to be a self starter.

Cons

Benefits are disappearing fast. Instead of granting additional vacation for years of service they have now removed all vacation, sick days and personal business. You are told to use only what you need.

Advice to Management

Promote your top talent into the Director/Executive roles. Else they will not stay.

8. Good learning experience but poorly structured department.

Former Contractor - IT Intern in Hooksett, NH
    Former Contractor - IT Intern in Hooksett, NH

I worked at GE Aviation as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I liked the supervisor, there are plenty of mentors to learn from and a solid resume builder.

Cons

Too small and under-funded of a department. Large system crashes left workers useless for hours.

Advice to Management

The poorly structured and under-funded department was at fault of the corporation's structure and not really the specific branch. There should be more funding to the IT department and better ways to contact higher-level IT.

GE Aviation Response

Mar 30, 2015Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your transparent feedback! We appreciate your response and will certainly include your feedback and advice in looking at ways to improve our company. Thanks!

9. Great co-op program

Former Intern - Engineering Co-Op in Evendale, OH
    Former Intern - Engineering Co-Op in Evendale, OH

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

-Great pay
    -Excellent exposure
    -Funneling to full-time employment
    -Competitive environment

Cons

-Strong union environment may be tough for some

Advice to Management

-keep developing talent and hiring co-op students

GE Aviation Response

Thank you for your feedback on this site. We know we always have room for improvement at GE. Transparent reviews and feedback like this will help us to continue to improve. We appreciate your pros ... More

10. Overall Great Employer

Former Employee - CNC Operator in West Jefferson, NC
    Former Employee - CNC Operator in West Jefferson, NC

I worked at GE Aviation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay for the area I was in, decent benefits, good community involvement , lots of opportunities to expand as an employee.

Cons

Leadership rotates frequently and often leaves a mess for the long-term team members to deal with/correct. There is ample opportunity to grow as an employee but not so much room to grow at your craft. Example: I was a CNC operator there for 6.5 years , this was the only place I ever worked in that field. I thought I had valuable experience but my job hunt over the past roughly 6 months has shown me that GE operates so differently/narrow mindedly from the rest of the machining world , my time there means next to nothing in interviews. You can grow tremendously as an "employee" (committees , presentations, meeting rep, outside volunteer activities, etc.) but I left there being a very basic machine operator , not a "machinist" and I have come to find the hard way there is a very big difference.

Advice to Management

Get leaders who want to help grow long term not just pad their resume for 6 months to a year.

11. Test engineer, Supply Chain

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Lynn, MA
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Lynn, MA

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent relocation package
    Good for an engineer in the engineering departments. Not so good for a test engineer in supply chain
    Large organization (too large)

Cons

Management is too transient: three plan leaders in 4 years. Leadership doesn't care about keeping a mission. Management is most focused on making themselves look good (making production numbers), and not on integrity.
    Leadership promotes people who don't know that job, but have a good "company image."
    Be prepared to be micromanaged!
    Benefits are average, expected better as one of the world's largest companies
    Compensation is lack-luster. Pay raises are paltry, if any. Leadership and management get first dibs, and they expect you work 10 hours of casual (=free) overtime a week.
    For a multi-billion dollar company, they are obsessed with nickle and dime-ing everything
    Everyone has the feeling that the place is going to shut its doors in the next few years. Buildings have been demolished, lay offs, site VP is a "closer"
    Promotions are only a possibility if you're a favorite of management
    Expect zero work-life balance. Expect the company to take away all PTO for high level exempt

Advice to Management

Install a plant leader that is committed to the business, not committed to his/her next step after LATO
    Get rid of the 10 hour mandatory-casual OT policy