GE Aviation Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
3.7

GE Aviation President and CEO David L. Joyce
David L. Joyce

Pros
  • There's lots of opportunities to grow as an engineering student (in 14 reviews)

• Work-life balance is great, at least in my department (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to achieve any work-life balance, even at the beginning of your career (in 14 reviews)

• Large company and you can be lost in the shuffle if you do not "buddy up" to the powers in charge (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience

Former Employee - Finance Co-Op  in  Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Finance Co-Op in Durham, NC

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great environment
    Great people
    Flexible around my school schedule
    I really enjoyed my time at G E Aviation
    And would recommend it to anyone

Cons

Work day starts at 7 am
    But other than that I have no complaints about my experience at G E Aviation

Keep up what you are doing

Great Experience! Well Structured Company that makes every employee happy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone you work with is always willing to help no matter how busy they might be with their own work.

Cons

If you do not take network and take initiative to meet other employees you might get stuck in a small group and not know what is going on elsewhere in the company.

Improve retention rate on interns

Lead Design Engineer

Former Employee - Lead Engineer  in  Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Lead Engineer in Lynn, MA

I worked at GE Aviation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

GE Aviation offers a great possible breadth of work experience and internal training
    GE has tuition reimbursement for higher degrees
    The workplace is generally a meritocracy, with nearly all employees interested in doing their jobs well
    For a design engineer, there are a broad array of challenging parts that need to be designed

Cons

Department determines what type of work you get, there are good and bad departments
    Company has a huge amount of bureaucracy and some double work (engineers and drafters both make models)
    Workload is program dependent and management often puts in too short of a schedule, making it engineering's problem
    Crushing hours on some new product programs, 80-90 hrs/week at times with no bonuses or appreciation for exceptional effort
    Evendale, OH and Lynn, MA employees are compensated the same amount (cost of living much higher in Boston)
    Management stresses cost and schedule deliverable but does not place emphasis on employee development or job satisfaction

I view GE as a very good place to work, but one needs to be very proactive. GE would be glad to pay you minimum wage and have you grind away on work at your desk, never giving you a higher title or significantly higher pay. If you work there you need to be actively seeking out your next position which will challenge you more than your current position. Otherwise you will get defaulted into the same role and no development, and have too much work put on your shoulders.

Focus on developing and rotating employees more.
    Identify what will keep employees working at GE, and focus on keeping them challenged and on a development path.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Engineering intern

I have been working at GE Aviation as an intern

Pros

Fun and challenging assignments that relate to your field of study, very helpful staff, and a great place to get to know more people. I really enjoyed my time there and got to learn a lot.

Cons

None that I noticed. I interned for three months and enjoyed my time there

None specifically. Everyone seemed to be doing there job well.

Good company to work for. Pays well, positive work environment, understanding of personal life and time needs.

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op  in  West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in West Chester, OH

I worked at GE Aviation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Was offered challenging projects that helped me understand the business. The people I worked with were friendly and always happy to help with what I needed. Boss was understanding when I needed time off for the death of a friend.

Cons

Was not made a part of a group as much as I would have liked. Not that I was ostracized, but most of my projects were done solo, which didn't necessarily offer the most room for learning

GE

Former Employee - Product Support Engineer  in  Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Product Support Engineer in Lynn, MA

I worked at GE Aviation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

consider discussing: work-life balance, compensation, office culture

Cons

consider discussing: leadership, personal growth, perks

Consider discussing: leadership, personal Growth, perks

GE Aviation Response

Sep 4, 2014Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your response. We appreciate platforms like Glassdoor to help us make GE better.

Co-op

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern for more than a year

Pros

This is a large company with plenty of opportunities. Had chances to have a coop in three different sites during three different rotations.

Cons

Since it is such a big company you feel like a number. They are not a personal company.

Excellent Launch Pad

Current Employee - Edison Engineering Development Program  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Edison Engineering Development Program in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay and benefits are extremely competitive; this was the highest offer I received out of every Aerospace & Defense company I had an offer from (including Boeing, P&W, and Northrop Grumman).

Technical education is a huge focus--I came in with my Master's degree, but there are plenty of good programs to get a graduate degree while you work (e.g. you can get paid your full salary while going to school full-time).

Amount of volunteer events and fundraisers is absolutely ridiculous (in a good way). It's hard to choose what to even go to.

Cons

Senior management can feel a bit far away--you will get Q&A sessions with them but only occasionally. It's hard to see the business from their perspective sometimes.

Covering an engine test will destroy your life and schedule for a week or two.

Try and explain the business from your viewpoint more often. We won't understand the decisions that you make unless we have the same information as you.

GE Aviation Response

Aug 26, 2014Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Great feedback and advice! GE has recently made some steps into exactly what you are recommending. This is good feedback to encourage that we are moving in the right direction however, have room for ... More

Infra Engineering Co-Op/Intern

Former Employee - Infra Engineering Co-Op/  in  Evendale, OH
    Former Employee - Infra Engineering Co-Op/ in Evendale, OH

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great working environment. Lots of opportunities to grow. Great mentoring overall. Very good benefits.

Cons

Could encounter some projects where you have very little time to come up with the final solution but the overall teamwork compensates for the stress. Some projects could take some time depending on the availability of the coworkers. Usually things get solved easily.

Lower your GPA requirements. The minimum GPA required is 3.00 and you are very strict about it. Perhaps a person with a 2.8 or 2.9 GPA might be better prepared based on experience. There's a few colleagues that did not make it into the Edison Program because of this requirement. However, within 2-3 years their grow in other companies has been exponential. You missed out on having great Leaders by judging them just by their GPA.

GE Aviation Response

Aug 19, 2014Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your transparent feedback! We appreciate your response and will certainly include your feedback and advice in looking at ways to improve our company. Thanks!

Opportunities for any career path

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Leadership training. Product ownership. Interfacing with customers and suppliers. Can take a variety of career paths from purely technical to project management to team management.

Cons

Site access issues. Multiple logon domains. Really this company is going to give you what you put into it. Like anywhere, it's up to you to manage your career and get the opportunities you want.

Constantly seek to sharpen and challenge your engineers, especially young ones, technically. Too often I hear engineers complaining that they are process managers and not product developers.

GE Aviation Response

Thank you for your feedback on this site. We know we always have room for improvement at GE. Transparent reviews and feedback like this will help us to continue to improve. We appreciate your pros ... More

Worked for GE Aviation? Contribute to the Community!