GE Aviation Reviews

Updated September 14, 2014
3.7

GE Aviation President and CEO David L. Joyce
David L. Joyce

Pros
  • There's lots of opportunities to grow as an engineering student (in 14 reviews)

• Work-life balance is great, at least in my department (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to achieve any work-life balance, even at the beginning of your career (in 14 reviews)

• Large company and you can be lost in the shuffle if you do not "buddy up" to the powers in charge (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Experience! Well Structured Company that makes every employee happy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone you work with is always willing to help no matter how busy they might be with their own work.

Cons

If you do not take network and take initiative to meet other employees you might get stuck in a small group and not know what is going on elsewhere in the company.

Improve retention rate on interns

Engineering intern

I have been working at GE Aviation as an intern

Pros

Fun and challenging assignments that relate to your field of study, very helpful staff, and a great place to get to know more people. I really enjoyed my time there and got to learn a lot.

Cons

None that I noticed. I interned for three months and enjoyed my time there

None specifically. Everyone seemed to be doing there job well.

Good company to work for. Pays well, positive work environment, understanding of personal life and time needs.

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op  in  West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in West Chester, OH

I worked at GE Aviation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Was offered challenging projects that helped me understand the business. The people I worked with were friendly and always happy to help with what I needed. Boss was understanding when I needed time off for the death of a friend.

Cons

Was not made a part of a group as much as I would have liked. Not that I was ostracized, but most of my projects were done solo, which didn't necessarily offer the most room for learning

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

GE

Former Employee - Product Support Engineer  in  Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Product Support Engineer in Lynn, MA

I worked at GE Aviation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

consider discussing: work-life balance, compensation, office culture

Cons

consider discussing: leadership, personal growth, perks

Consider discussing: leadership, personal Growth, perks

GE Aviation Response

Sep 4, 2014Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your response. We appreciate platforms like Glassdoor to help us make GE better.

Excellent Launch Pad

Current Employee - Edison Engineering Development Program in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay and benefits are extremely competitive; this was the highest offer I received out of every Aerospace & Defense company I had an offer from (including Boeing, P&W, and Northrop Grumman).

Technical education is a huge focus--I came in with my Master's degree, but there are plenty of good programs to get a graduate degree while you work (e.g. you can get paid your full salary while going to school full-time).

Amount of volunteer events and fundraisers is absolutely ridiculous (in a good way). It's hard to choose what to even go to.

Cons

Senior management can feel a bit far away--you will get Q&A sessions with them but only occasionally. It's hard to see the business from their perspective sometimes.

Covering an engine test will destroy your life and schedule for a week or two.

Try and explain the business from your viewpoint more often. We won't understand the decisions that you make unless we have the same information as you.

GE Aviation Response

Aug 26, 2014Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Great feedback and advice! GE has recently made some steps into exactly what you are recommending. This is good feedback to encourage that we are moving in the right direction however, have room for ... More

Co-op

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern for more than a year

Pros

This is a large company with plenty of opportunities. Had chances to have a coop in three different sites during three different rotations.

Cons

Since it is such a big company you feel like a number. They are not a personal company.

Going into my 3rd year of the Edison program (directly hired out of undergrad)

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

GE provides a stable job and a program to help new hires gain experience in the engineering world. The program allows you to rotate into any position you find interesting every year, though I hear they have plans to cut that down. Stability trumps everything here: if you are looking for a place to settle down, have kids, and then retire with little risk and no excitement or adventure, this is the place to do it.

Cons

1)The pay is well below industry standards, but they justify it by saying "you get to work on something interesting, so we can pay you less". This excuse will be used directly to you in "All Hands" meetings.
    2)GE Aviation is in the Midwest (on Ohio, of all places), and thus you will constantly be surrounded by mediocrity. If you are ambitious and have the drive to be "a step above", this is definitely not the place for you. In Cincinnati, you will constantly be surrounded by people who praise mediocrity. Be prepared to be surrounded by people who:
    -Hang out with their high school friends (why meet new people? I'm OKAY with these ones)
    -Work at GE forever, though they aren't passionate about it (why find a new job? I'm okay with this one)
    -Marry the first person who won't dump them (Why meet someone new? I'm okay with this person)
    -Live in Ohio, forever (why see new places? I'm okay with this place).
    This mentality is poisonous. and is constantly within everything that happens.
    3)This is, of course, a big company that doesn't care about the employees. Remember: the second you stop producing for them, the second they forget about you completely.

The front-line managers have all been great - they know their stuff, they put in the hours, and they really care about the team. Upper management doesn't really care about anything outside of the bottom line, and everyone knows that you have to suck the power-teet to grab the attention of the execs to move up.

Infra Engineering Co-Op/Intern

Former Employee - Infra Engineering Co-Op/  in  Evendale, OH
    Former Employee - Infra Engineering Co-Op/ in Evendale, OH

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great working environment. Lots of opportunities to grow. Great mentoring overall. Very good benefits.

Cons

Could encounter some projects where you have very little time to come up with the final solution but the overall teamwork compensates for the stress. Some projects could take some time depending on the availability of the coworkers. Usually things get solved easily.

Lower your GPA requirements. The minimum GPA required is 3.00 and you are very strict about it. Perhaps a person with a 2.8 or 2.9 GPA might be better prepared based on experience. There's a few colleagues that did not make it into the Edison Program because of this requirement. However, within 2-3 years their grow in other companies has been exponential. You missed out on having great Leaders by judging them just by their GPA.

GE Aviation Response

Aug 19, 2014Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your transparent feedback! We appreciate your response and will certainly include your feedback and advice in looking at ways to improve our company. Thanks!

Opportunities for any career path

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Leadership training. Product ownership. Interfacing with customers and suppliers. Can take a variety of career paths from purely technical to project management to team management.

Cons

Site access issues. Multiple logon domains. Really this company is going to give you what you put into it. Like anywhere, it's up to you to manage your career and get the opportunities you want.

Constantly seek to sharpen and challenge your engineers, especially young ones, technically. Too often I hear engineers complaining that they are process managers and not product developers.

GE Aviation Response

Thank you for your feedback on this site. We know we always have room for improvement at GE. Transparent reviews and feedback like this will help us to continue to improve. We appreciate your pros ... More

An enormous and high-tech company committed to education and leadership development

Current Employee - Edison Engineering Development Program in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best part about GE is the people who work there. I've never come across such a vast collection of industry experts who truly care about the company, the product, and one another. Nearly everyone is friendly and eager to help you get questions answered, and develop and grow as a professional, while you are expected to deliver your share of the work on time with minimal oversight. Equally important is the commitment they have to education. Through the various development programs, which were largely pioneered here, one can quickly accelerate their growth as an industry and business professional while seeing multiple components of the business to find a niche, building technical depth, and in some cases earning a paid Master's degree simultaneously.

Cons

While large organizations are rife with opportunity, they can also face many obstacles which come with enormous growth- these include disorganization of information, productivity hindered by complex layers of bureaucracy, and a seemingly long climb to the top, compared with more entrepreneurial organizations. While there are many elements in motion to simplify day-to-day work and recognize and train talent, it is easy to get lost at a company like this if you don't stay on your toes. GE is very traditional and conservative; however, I sense more openness recently to new ideas and ways of thinking. Hopefully this is indeed a trend.

Higher level management should meet with young people at the organization to discuss ways to improve the business, recruit and retain new talent, and develop more efficient and modern tools for employees to use which leverage technology to get things done. While this company is big on innovation, I think more risks could (and should) be taken to really push the status quo instead of increase it incrementally over long periods of time, and inject truly groundbreaking technology into the industry. In other words, I believe GE is capable of innovating at an exponentially higher level than we currently do. Be bold. Change the world. We certainly have the capital and the internal infrastructure to do it.

GE Aviation Response

Great feedback and advice! GE has recently made some steps into exactly what you are recommending. This is good feedback to encourage that we are moving in the right direction however have room for ... More

Worked for GE Aviation? Contribute to the Community!