GE Aviation Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
3.7

GE Aviation President and CEO David L. Joyce
David L. Joyce

Pros
  • Great place to work and lots of opportunities for personal growth and development (in 11 reviews)

• consider discussing: work-life balance, compensation, office culture (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to achieve any work-life balance, even at the beginning of your career (in 19 reviews)

• Very large company - can be easy to get lost in the sea of employees (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

GE Aviation

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Newark, DE

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cons

A little too much by the book. Everything has a specific procedure and lots of paperwork to go with it.

GE Aviation Response

Oct 24, 2014Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your feedback. We are always interested in how to make GE Aviation a better place to work.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Assembly Mechanic (Union) in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Assembly Mechanic (Union) in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, overtime, and duties are not strenuous

Cons

Generation gap and some conflict between older and younger workers

Put people in positions that have experience, rather than running a company with 22-28 year olds

GE Aviation Response

Thank you for your response. We appreciate platforms like Glassdoor to help us make GE better.

Global Opportunities

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fair compensation and decent vacation, health and support benefits based on service. Defined contribution retirement. Global opportunities where top performers with the right placement can go as far as they want. Training is career path oriented - continuing education available. Compliance and integrity expected and maintained from the top to the bottom. Plenty of affinity and internal support groups and exemplary GE community support (GE volunteers).

Cons

It is a huge company interested in engaging the entire workforce where it can - sometime tasks are distributed to the point there is more managing than doing. Easy to become a cog. It seems every operation has been six-sigma examined and optimized. Global and finely detailed processes in each function makes it difficult to be proficient across functional silos.

Listen to Ranjay and bridge the silos

GE Aviation Response

Thank you for your feedback on this site. We know we always have room for improvement at GE. Transparent reviews and feedback like this will help us to continue to improve. We appreciate your pros ... More

Excellent, wide variety of opportunities for career growth on a variety of engines, hardware types, design cycles.

Current Employee - Lead Engineer/Technologist in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer/Technologist in West Chester, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Satisfaction in utilizing technical skill. Mentorship by other technical leaders. Team leadership.

Cons

Bureaucracy. Presenting the same pitch to multiple levels of management. Demanding work/life balance.

Hire technical managers more often than "well networked" managers who lack either technical or managerial skill.

GE Aviation Response

Sep 30, 2014Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your transparent feedback! We appreciate your response and will certainly include your feedback and advice in looking at ways to improve our company. Thanks!

Great People and unprofessional management in Bohemia

Former Employee - Engineer in Bohemia, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in Bohemia, NY

I worked at GE Aviation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people and engagement activities. The paid overtime for salary workers was great, too. Other sites seemed to work better.

Cons

Poor procedures and lack of clear direction. The work/life balance is dismal and the expectations are stressful with no support to achieve plausible goals. Everyone does their own thing with no regard to documenting what they do - tribal knowledge reigns. No accountability.

Reduce engagement and focus on value added work to make making a profit the top priority for the short term, at least. Quit with all the Goals that all consider a joke just to appease management. Let managers measure success along with results, not timed reviews.

Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of great engineering experience that will prove valuable in the future
    Many resources to accomplish a variety of tasks
    Was given many projects, but only if I kept asking for more work
    Good people to look up to in higher management

Cons

Big corporate environment where many on my team worked only as much as they had to
    Impersonal to the point that my boss consistently mistakenly called me the wrong name, even after I completed many projects by the end of the internship
    Upward mobility is highly subjective according to other employee feedback and not laid out well
    Often left waiting for others to complete their portion of the task, which causes projects to fall behind schedule

Program Manager

Current Employee - Program Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- You will learn alot
    - You will be able to do as much as you can

Cons

- Dont pay the best
    - Stress will be high
    - Bureaucracy!
    - Change is slow

Mad rush to deliver numbers

Current Employee - Senior Finance Analyst in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Analyst in West Chester, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart People, Promotions, Lateral movements, Work Environment

Cons

Work-life balance, No bonus or rewards, Highly Metrics oriented

Run the business on the basis of economics and not to deliver quarterly result

Great company

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time

Pros

Inclusive leadership team. Very intelligent people to work with

Cons

Healthcare plan changes in recent years

UDC Student Software Engineer Intern

Current Employee - UDC Student Engineer in Manhattan, KS
    Current Employee - UDC Student Engineer in Manhattan, KS

I have been working at GE Aviation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very friendly environment. Everyone is great to work with. Pay is very competitive for internships. The training process is thorough. Coworkers are more than happy to help you. Hours are very flexible, and allows for remoting in from home. Paid philanthropy's to do charity work for the community. The management is great, and provides explanation whenever necessary.

Cons

Work is monotonous, and programming languages are outdated. Most of the programming is auto testing flight management software. This corporation is huge, so it's a constant hurry up and stop feeling the entire way.

I was very pleased with the management.