GE Aviation

Updated December 18, 2014
3.7

GE Aviation President and CEO David L. Joyce
David L. Joyce

Pros
  • Great place to work and lots of opportunities for personal growth and development (in 11 reviews)

• Work-life balance is great, at least in my department (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to achieve any work-life balance, even at the beginning of your career (in 19 reviews)

• Large company and you can be lost in the shuffle if you do not "buddy up" to the powers in charge (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Product Support Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Lynn, MA

I worked at GE Aviation

Pros

- Competitive Pay
    - Flexible Schedules
    - Interesting Work
    - Huge Plant (not just engineering but also manufacturing is incredible at this location)
    -Good exposure to different aspects of the business

Cons

Because it is a big company, tends to be a lot of red tape and procedure involved with getting anything substantial done. Can feel like your hands are tied a lot of the time.

I had a great experience working with GE Aviation.

Former Employee - Applications Development Co-op in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Applications Development Co-op in Irving, TX

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They have really good benefits even for interns. They paid a monthly stipend for living which was around $600 and it was not taxed. Salary was pretty good, they pay based on class status and graduation date. They were really flexible for taking days off. I really enjoyed working with my team, composed of well diverse group of people from different cultures and age groups.

Cons

At the time I was the only intern, but that was because it was within one year since that location had started up.

GE Aviation Response

Dec 6, 2014Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your positive feedback! We value avenues like Glassdoor to receive feedback on what we're doing right. Thanks!

I can provide for my family but job is unfulfilling.

Current Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Job Stability
    Focus on Integrity
    Significant amount of technology both used to make final product and the final product itself
    Laid back dress code in manufacturing
    Focus on Safety

Cons

If you are not a leadership program graduate (i.e. OMLP, EDP, etc), you have little chance of advancement
    Lack of accountability. Business will create roles for poor performing employees in lieu of letting them go. Their work is then given to others
    Lack of personnel to support business- See previous point
    Training is all online and is mostly to check the box
    More focus on power point files than substance
    Health benefits continue to be reduced
    When users are reading reviews on this site from interns consider they are only onsite for 2 - 3 months. Ultimately they are only given projects that won't impact the business adversely if they fail. They don't have to live with the decisions they make.
    New plant manager every 2 - 3 years

Consider talents of employees that are not OMLP graduates when it comes to training and career opportunities. There are other options for employees. The economy is turning, employees are starting to leave. Are you ready for this?

Riding on there name

Former Employee - Stress Analyst in Middle River, MD
    Former Employee - Stress Analyst in Middle River, MD

I worked at GE Aviation

Pros

I worked at middle river aircraft systems in Maryland. They were a recent acquisition of GE. The facility has a lot of history

Cons

They don't have very senior staff, and run development projects on a skeleton crew. They are unwilling to do due diligence to understand the processes and materials they are trying to implement. They use a high level of Eastern European design staff, about 1:10 oversight. That makes from poor initial quality and high levels of rework. They are not known for quality or high volume production. The main GE won't even use them for GE engine programs. They are forced to find work with third party also runs, but the high wage and benefit burden of there Union craft staff makes them uncompetitive for all but the most obscure Military work.

Develop a design basis that is reusable, transition to more damage tolerant materials, and hire more capable design staff.

Miserable Experience

Former Employee - Engineer in Pompano Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Engineer in Pompano Beach, FL

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Cost of living in Pompano Beach is low, not much to blow paycheck on. At the office there were occasional corporate health programs where we took a break from work to stretch in the break room. That was kind of fun, I guess. I think they also have a ping pong table.

Cons

No real work for interns. I spent several months being told more or less not to touch anything and to sometimes match components on schematics to bills of materials. Not chalenging engineering work is an understatement.

Give interns more responsibility.

Sourcing Co-op

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern

Pros

Great individuals to work with who are committed to delivering as much knowledge as possible during a short rotation. There are numerous opportunities to learn more about the aviation industry and the engines that GE builds

Cons

Given the complexities of sourcing there is a steep learning curve, but you have very knowledgable coworkers to counteract this.

GE Aviation Response

Nov 22, 2014Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your review and positive feedback! We appreciate you pointing out the good things going on within GE Aviation.

Company Review

Current Employee - Software Engineering in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at GE Aviation as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly people. Nice facilities. Flexible hours.

Cons

The Florida heat can be brutal.

None

Excellent experience, Great People, Great Company

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Muskegon, MI
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Muskegon, MI

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Laid back work environment everyone was very willing to help out and give advice.

Cons

There were no readily discussable cons to speak of, supervisor and work associates were excellent

No specific advice to give to management.

GE Aviation Response

Thank you for your response. We appreciate platforms like Glassdoor to help highlight what's working within GE!

Very good company coming of age...

Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good steady people. Level leadership. Ambitious.

Cons

Too Conservative. Must continue to diversify to other OEM's

Ensure there is an adequate balance of home grown vs outside talent in the top end in order to stay nimble.

GE Aviation Response

Thank you for your feedback on this site. We know we always have room for improvement at GE. Transparent reviews and feedback like this will help us to continue to improve. We appreciate your pros ... More

completed

Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Wells, ME
    Former Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in Wells, ME

I worked at GE Aviation (more than 10 years)

Pros

always completed and believed mangers on top

Cons

happy with job and mangers on top

management has always wonderful

GE Aviation Response

Thank you for your positive feedback! We truly value you pointing out the good things going on at GE!