GE Aviation Reviews

Updated September 26, 2014
3.7

GE Aviation President and CEO David L. Joyce
David L. Joyce

Pros
  • There's lots of opportunities to grow as an engineering student (in 10 reviews)

• Work-life balance is great, at least in my department (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to achieve any work-life balance, even at the beginning of your career (in 16 reviews)

• Large company and you can be lost in the shuffle if you do not "buddy up" to the powers in charge (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent, wide variety of opportunities for career growth on a variety of engines, hardware types, design cycles.

Current Employee - Lead Engineer/Technologist  in  West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer/Technologist in West Chester, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Satisfaction in utilizing technical skill. Mentorship by other technical leaders. Team leadership.

Cons

Bureaucracy. Presenting the same pitch to multiple levels of management. Demanding work/life balance.

Hire technical managers more often than "well networked" managers who lack either technical or managerial skill.

GE Aviation Response

Sep 30, 2014Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your transparent feedback! We appreciate your response and will certainly include your feedback and advice in looking at ways to improve our company. Thanks!

Great company

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time

Pros

Inclusive leadership team. Very intelligent people to work with

Cons

Healthcare plan changes in recent years

GE Aviation Response

Thank you for your feedback on this site. We know we always have room for improvement at GE. Transparent reviews and feedback like this will help us to continue to improve. We appreciate your pros ... More

UDC Student Software Engineer Intern

Current Employee - UDC Student Engineer  in  Manhattan, KS
    Current Employee - UDC Student Engineer in Manhattan, KS

I have been working at GE Aviation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very friendly environment. Everyone is great to work with. Pay is very competitive for internships. The training process is thorough. Coworkers are more than happy to help you. Hours are very flexible, and allows for remoting in from home. Paid philanthropy's to do charity work for the community. The management is great, and provides explanation whenever necessary.

Cons

Work is monotonous, and programming languages are outdated. Most of the programming is auto testing flight management software. This corporation is huge, so it's a constant hurry up and stop feeling the entire way.

I was very pleased with the management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience

Former Employee - Finance Co-Op  in  Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Finance Co-Op in Durham, NC

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great environment
    Great people
    Flexible around my school schedule
    I really enjoyed my time at G E Aviation
    And would recommend it to anyone

Cons

Work day starts at 7 am
    But other than that I have no complaints about my experience at G E Aviation

Keep up what you are doing

GE Aviation Response

Thank you so much for your review! There are great things going on at GE... great to see that our employees see them as well!

Great Experience! Well Structured Company that makes every employee happy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone you work with is always willing to help no matter how busy they might be with their own work.

Cons

If you do not take network and take initiative to meet other employees you might get stuck in a small group and not know what is going on elsewhere in the company.

Improve retention rate on interns

GE Aviation Response

Thank you so much for your review. We value the feedback on this site. There are good things going on at GE... thank you for pointing that out!

Lead Design Engineer

Former Employee - Lead Engineer  in  Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Lead Engineer in Lynn, MA

I worked at GE Aviation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

GE Aviation offers a great possible breadth of work experience and internal training
    GE has tuition reimbursement for higher degrees
    The workplace is generally a meritocracy, with nearly all employees interested in doing their jobs well
    For a design engineer, there are a broad array of challenging parts that need to be designed

Cons

Department determines what type of work you get, there are good and bad departments
    Company has a huge amount of bureaucracy and some double work (engineers and drafters both make models)
    Workload is program dependent and management often puts in too short of a schedule, making it engineering's problem
    Crushing hours on some new product programs, 80-90 hrs/week at times with no bonuses or appreciation for exceptional effort
    Evendale, OH and Lynn, MA employees are compensated the same amount (cost of living much higher in Boston)
    Management stresses cost and schedule deliverable but does not place emphasis on employee development or job satisfaction

I view GE as a very good place to work, but one needs to be very proactive. GE would be glad to pay you minimum wage and have you grind away on work at your desk, never giving you a higher title or significantly higher pay. If you work there you need to be actively seeking out your next position which will challenge you more than your current position. Otherwise you will get defaulted into the same role and no development, and have too much work put on your shoulders.

Focus on developing and rotating employees more.
    Identify what will keep employees working at GE, and focus on keeping them challenged and on a development path.

GE Aviation Response

Sep 23, 2014Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your review . We are trying to use new platforms such as Glassdoor to collect transparent feedback and make changes to continue to make GE better. We appreciate your review and comments ... More

Engineering intern

I have been working at GE Aviation as an intern

Pros

Fun and challenging assignments that relate to your field of study, very helpful staff, and a great place to get to know more people. I really enjoyed my time there and got to learn a lot.

Cons

None that I noticed. I interned for three months and enjoyed my time there

None specifically. Everyone seemed to be doing there job well.

GE Aviation Response

Good company to work for. Pays well, positive work environment, understanding of personal life and time needs.

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op  in  West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in West Chester, OH

I worked at GE Aviation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Was offered challenging projects that helped me understand the business. The people I worked with were friendly and always happy to help with what I needed. Boss was understanding when I needed time off for the death of a friend.

Cons

Was not made a part of a group as much as I would have liked. Not that I was ostracized, but most of my projects were done solo, which didn't necessarily offer the most room for learning

GE Aviation Response

Mad rush to deliver numbers

Current Employee - Senior Finance Analyst  in  West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Analyst in West Chester, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart People, Promotions, Lateral movements, Work Environment

Cons

Work-life balance, No bonus or rewards, Highly Metrics oriented

Run the business on the basis of economics and not to deliver quarterly result

GE

Former Employee - Product Support Engineer  in  Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Product Support Engineer in Lynn, MA

I worked at GE Aviation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

consider discussing: work-life balance, compensation, office culture

Cons

consider discussing: leadership, personal growth, perks

Consider discussing: leadership, personal Growth, perks

GE Aviation Response

Sep 4, 2014Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your response. We appreciate platforms like Glassdoor to help us make GE better.

Worked for GE Aviation? Contribute to the Community!