GE Aviation Reviews

Updated April 22, 2015
443 reviews filtered by

1. Challenging and interesting work; Upward track is up to you working your career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH

I worked at GE Aviation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting industry and leading edge in field
    Many different opportunities to find your place
    People in the area I worked have become lifelong friends

Cons

Runs lean on the resources side so always challenging to meet objectives without working a ton
    Can get lost in upward track of your career unless you manage your career which should anyway

Advice to Management

Don't run so lean on resources; Work/Life balance and health are sold as necessary but not in line with expectations and resources available

2. Hits & Misses

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Highly intelligent people, lots of opportunities for lateral or vertical moves (inside and outside the business unit); competitive pay for mid-career transfers, slightly better-than-average benefits

Cons

Work-life balance can be challenging if one goes into the New Products space; extremely subjective employee rating system; no process for mid-year performance feedback; lifers seem to have an edge on jobs (who you know).

Advice to Management

Find and place competent and personable leaders in direct-reporting management roles; often, I have seen highly technical people have management roles for "growth" or "stretching" that don't work on personnel development or career mentoring, or day-to-day coaching.

3. The best place I have ever worked!

Current Employee - Fleet Data Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Fleet Data Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work/Life balance is the best I have ever seen! Management is very understanding of any personal issues and work closely to help you as much as possible. The staff are incredibly friendly and greatly care about the things they and the company achieve.

Cons

The work is not the most stimulating, and can get slow at times making it difficult to progress through the day.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

GE Aviation Response

Feb 13, 2015Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your response. We appreciate platforms like Glassdoor to let us hear what we're doing right. Thank You!

5. Good enough

I have been working at GE Aviation

Pros

It is good enough job for a long while. You can stay there for a long time.

Cons

It is stressful and need to commit a lot of time outside of work to get the job done.

6. Coop

Current Employee - Engineering Coop in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Engineering Coop in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at GE Aviation

Pros

Staff is nice, jobs are fun

Cons

snow and lots of it in michigan,

7. Good People to WOrk With

Former Intern - Pse in Lynn, MA
    Former Intern - Pse in Lynn, MA

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of really bright people to work with. Many different aspects of the design and manufacturing process on the same site, giving a lot of exposure to many different things

Cons

Tends to be a lot of administrative red tape, which is to be expected with a big company. Can just take a long time to get anything done.

GE Aviation Response

Great feedback and advice! GE has recently made some steps into exactly what you are recommending. We're always looking for ways to make GE better. Thank you!

Great place to gain experience

I have been working at GE Aviation

Pros

GE is a great place to work for a young engineer. I feel like through the Co-Op/Intern program I have both grown as an engineer as well as a person. Some of my most highly regarded mentors are people that I worked with at GE. It is a great place to meet leaders and learn about Aircraft Engines.

Cons

Sometimes the sheer size of GE can be overwhelming. As a 20 year old college student starting my first rotation with GE, I felt like what I was doing wasn't being recognized. This is simply due to the massive infrastructure that is GE.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the Co-Op program. This is the program that feeds the future leaders of GE. Also, make sure operators and laborers understand they are important. Nothing worse than having one of the largest and greatest companies in the world and having the people who make the products feel like their opinions aren't heard.

GE Aviation Response

Jan 29, 2015Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your transparent feedback! We appreciate your response and will certainly include your feedback and advice in looking at ways to improve our company. Thanks!

9. Outstanding Products, Training, and Co-Workers; You get out what you put in.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very exciting product and incredibly complex business. Opportunity to work with world class engineers and leaders. Excellent work-life balance if you want it. Good compensation. Comprehensive leadership training for those that desire it.

Cons

Slow computer systems; little accountability for under-performing team members; Many decisions made by committee; Potentially long and politically arduous path to executive ranks; Little to no performance based compensation if not executive.

Advice to Management

Continue to strive to move faster.

GE Aviation Response

Thank you for your response. We appreciate platforms like Glassdoor to help us make GE better.

10. Cool

I have been working at GE Aviation

Pros

Cool place to work loved it

Cons

To big for little old mr

Advice to Management

Ns

11. Great Company

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Piedmont, SC
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Piedmont, SC

I have been working at GE Aviation

Pros

Overall it's an impressive place to work. I feel a since of pride being an employee.

Cons

Constant management changes in every position.Makes me wonder if they aren't seeing a good future for the company itself. I wonder about the job security.

Advice to Management

Make the right decisions for the company regardless of the complaints! Just keep our job security!