GE Aviation Reviews

Reset

1. Lead SW Engineer

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Evendale, OH
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Evendale, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Highly technical and motivating work

Cons

Highly stressful Job with long hours

GE Aviation Response

Apr 23, 2015Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your response. We appreciate platforms like Glassdoor to help us make GE better.

Tides of Change

Current Employee - Program Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation

Pros

Great technical product, plenty of challenges and opportunities to be a self starter.

Cons

Benefits are disappearing fast. Instead of granting additional vacation for years of service they have now removed all vacation, sick days and personal business. You are told to use only what you need.

Advice to Management

Promote your top talent into the Director/Executive roles. Else they will not stay.

GE Aviation Response

Thank you for your review. We love the transparent feedback we receive on this site. We appreciate your advice to management. Thank you!

3. Intern

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Evendale, OH
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in Evendale, OH

I worked at GE Aviation

Pros

-Good Manager who gave me opportunities to contribute to team
    -Good Pay

Cons

-Forced to learn from book/binder often, not always trained by associates

GE Aviation Response

Thank you for your transparent feedback! We appreciate your response and will certainly include your feedback and advice in looking at ways to improve our company. Thanks!

5. Overall Great Employer

Former Employee - CNC Operator in West Jefferson, NC
    Former Employee - CNC Operator in West Jefferson, NC

I worked at GE Aviation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay for the area I was in, decent benefits, good community involvement , lots of opportunities to expand as an employee.

Cons

Leadership rotates frequently and often leaves a mess for the long-term team members to deal with/correct. There is ample opportunity to grow as an employee but not so much room to grow at your craft. Example: I was a CNC operator there for 6.5 years , this was the only place I ever worked in that field. I thought I had valuable experience but my job hunt over the past roughly 6 months has shown me that GE operates so differently/narrow mindedly from the rest of the machining world , my time there means next to nothing in interviews. You can grow tremendously as an "employee" (committees , presentations, meeting rep, outside volunteer activities, etc.) but I left there being a very basic machine operator , not a "machinist" and I have come to find the hard way there is a very big difference.

Advice to Management

Get leaders who want to help grow long term not just pad their resume for 6 months to a year.

6. Test engineer, Supply Chain

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Lynn, MA
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Lynn, MA

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent relocation package
    Good for an engineer in the engineering departments. Not so good for a test engineer in supply chain
    Large organization (too large)

Cons

Management is too transient: three plan leaders in 4 years. Leadership doesn't care about keeping a mission. Management is most focused on making themselves look good (making production numbers), and not on integrity.
    Leadership promotes people who don't know that job, but have a good "company image."
    Be prepared to be micromanaged!
    Benefits are average, expected better as one of the world's largest companies
    Compensation is lack-luster. Pay raises are paltry, if any. Leadership and management get first dibs, and they expect you work 10 hours of casual (=free) overtime a week.
    For a multi-billion dollar company, they are obsessed with nickle and dime-ing everything
    Everyone has the feeling that the place is going to shut its doors in the next few years. Buildings have been demolished, lay offs, site VP is a "closer"
    Promotions are only a possibility if you're a favorite of management
    Expect zero work-life balance. Expect the company to take away all PTO for high level exempt

Advice to Management

Install a plant leader that is committed to the business, not committed to his/her next step after LATO
    Get rid of the 10 hour mandatory-casual OT policy

7. assemble experimental airplane harnesses communicate with ME to correct discrepancies on the work instructions

Current Employee - Production Associate III in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Production Associate III in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at GE Aviation

Pros

good paying job, friendly workers no stress love to go to work everyday

Cons

minimize meetings to improve productivity

Advice to Management

avoid favoritism

GE Aviation Response

Mar 16, 2015Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your feedback and advice to management! We love having platforms like Glassdoor so we can hear from our employees. Thank You!

8. a learning experience

I worked at GE Aviation

Pros

the benefits are great including ins. and payrate

Cons

turnover of management creates disfunction in the work place

penny pinching at the jet motor factory

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

International business experience. Fantastic product, challenging technical problems.

Cons

GE has become, at its soul, a finance company. There is nothing more important here than managing the quarterly results. Nobody does "cost out" better than GE. Cost out of salaries, cost out of health insurance, cost out of office space. If you like the spartan life, you will be a good fit

Advice to Management

Enough with the buzz words. If I hear pivot, fast works, bucketize (the word is categorize) or beliefs one more time, I think I will lose it. Be imaginative in your use of language. There are thousands of words you bunch of parrots.

10. Positive experience.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Hattiesburg, MS
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Hattiesburg, MS

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive atmosphere. Lots of oppurtunity for growth

Cons

Startup facility. Leadership in process of gaining experience.

Advice to Management

Define responsibilities.

GE Aviation Response

Mar 5, 2015Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your response. Platforms like Glass door help us to make GE a better place for our employees. We appreciate your feedback!

11. Co-op

I have been working at GE Aviation

Pros

Exciting High tech field that means something

Cons

Deadline pressure could be difficult sometimes

GE Aviation Response

Thank you for your review we appreciate your feedback!

RSS Feed </> Embed