GE Aviation Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.7

GE Aviation President and CEO David L. Joyce
David L. Joyce

Pros
  • There's lots of opportunities to grow as an engineering student (in 14 reviews)

• Work-life balance is great, at least in my department (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to achieve any work-life balance, even at the beginning of your career (in 14 reviews)

• Large company and you can be lost in the shuffle if you do not "buddy up" to the powers in charge (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

great and interesting in meeting new people

Current Employee - Staff Engineer  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great benefit in knowledge and get the best out of excellent people

Cons

leadership training, training in general work environment.

promoting faster

Learn a lot as an Intern

Former Employee - Test Systems Design Engineer  in  Lynn, MA
    Former Employee - Test Systems Design Engineer in Lynn, MA

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great people, interesting work, good pay and benefits. LOT of learning.

Cons

Government bureaucracy brings everything to a standstill

None

Production Associates

Current Employee - Production Associate  in  Batesville, MS
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Batesville, MS

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for less than a year

Pros

the hourly pay is one of the most competative around Batesville Mississippi delta area. Actually spend time every week to address health and ergonomic issues.

Cons

The company, GE, is always push people to improve more and then more on productivity. ten or fifteen percent improvement for this year may not last /good for next year.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learning Experience

Former Employee - Test Engineer  in  Peebles, OH
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in Peebles, OH

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Cons

Because we're here in Peebles, we don't feel as connected with what's going on in other locations, and we sometimes feel like we get the short end of the stick

Very easy to get pigeon holed into one job and get stuck there if you don't play the game.

Current Employee - Engineering Designer  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Engineering Designer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Biggest company in the world, lots of potential for advancement
    -After hours classes, development opportunities

Cons

-You have to be good at playing the corporate game to advance, doing your job well doesn't matter as much as drinking the kool-aid.
    -Developing yourself with offered courses / development programs is great but doesn't guarantee you will get noticed or even acknowledged.
    -work is very structured, little room for innovation (imagination at work, yea right). tasks become repetitive and monotonous and soul crushing.

Treat employees like people and not a metric on a sheet of paper. Cut the 9-blocker horseshit, when everyone in your group is performing at a top level, you can afford to reward all of them. Don't be a coward.

Front-row seat to engine development

Current Employee - Lead Engineer  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The product couldn't be more challenging and exciting, and the singular industry goal of relentlessly improving fuel economy adds a feel-good factor for someone with a disposition toward environmental stewardship (if we're all gonna fly and burn up all this fuel, lets optimize the machine). I've never worked with so many people who are uninterruptedly driven and goal-focused. The people I've worked with have broad technical aptitude (but my impression is that this has come at the expense of depth in the last decade or two). My work has been interesting, and my direct management has allowed me the space to really learn something, and work toward the basic understanding necessary to build the path from technical problem identification, to physical understanding, to prediction and solution. It's been fun.

Cons

There is a buzzword and initialism culture, which makes it difficult to understand one another. At first, I thought that I was the only one who couldn't understand what most people here mean half the time, but I've come to realize that this is pervasive. Imprecise language plagues this place and makes technical misunderstandings common. For someone whose work requires a lab bench and some lab equipment, the facilities can be painfully lacking and often so poorly maintained that its not feasible to do routine lab work (at least not well). There is a culture among many important people (i.e. not my immediate management, but those who hold the purse strings) that, through their attitude and through funding decisions, disrespects science and physical understanding, but wishfully wants the technical progress that enables anyhow. This sets the conditions for a sometimes slow, painful, and expensive learning process through trial and error, while deeper more broadly-applicable lessons could have been learned with a more deliberate front-end program aimed at understanding. Finally, don't assume management will necessarily allow you to pursue another opportunity within GE, even if that advances your career in the direction you want, and even if that other organization is inviting you to apply. The business can be greedy.

Technology development through brute-force is not always the most useful path.

Large Burocracy

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Many possibilities for career advancement.
    - Many different industries
    - Many locations to choose from so in larger cities you can change from on business / industry to another and still not lose your seniority and accumulated benefits.
    - Tools and processes are the same at all locations within the same business which makes changing easy and smoother
    - GE has an awesome rewards and recognition program that lets any employee nominate another employee or group for monetary rewards from $25 to $1000. That is a real motivator for many.

Cons

It can be very hard to make any changes within the company. Because it is so large and very centralized many things are predetermined and can't be changed. That can be very frustrating for those who want to improve upon what is currently being done, how things are done, or the tools used to do it.
    GE buys and sells businesses frequently. It can happen that you end up in a business that is being sold and then you can't change into a different job at another site anymore. Unless you are in the EB band you will go with the business and can lose decades with a company even if you had no plans to leave.

Let individual businesses run them selves more like individual business and don't try to put the "big GE: stamp on them.

Changed my entire perception of manufacturing and what it meant to work for an American manufacturer.

Current Employee - Co-Op/Intern  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Co-Op/Intern in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Work life balance Encouraged by management to try new things and get involved in The Community. Good Compensation and benefits as well as potential for Climbing the "ladder" In a very large and Successful Company

Cons

getting to work early was sometimes difficult. GE. red tape is always a hassle because of FAA regulations>

Keep training and inspiring Young engineers to pursue their dreams. Make sure the interns feel like they are helping and that You Value their ideas and opinions,

Great for young professionals.

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op  in  Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Durham, NC

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Model Teaming Environment in assembly plant.

Cons

Too many meetings every week.

Great place to have worked. Retired with good benefits.

Former Employee - Electronic/Mechanical Maintenance and Repair  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Electronic/Mechanical Maintenance and Repair in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at GE Aviation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay, working conditions, and benefits.

Cons

Nothing negative to say about GE.

Good company. No advice.

Worked for GE Aviation? Contribute to the Community!