GE Capital

GE Capital Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

GE Capital CEO Keith Sherin

Keith Sherin

Pros
  • Good work-life balance, standardized rating system so you know where you stand(in 52 reviews)

• Opportunities to learn through world-class training sessions(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Company advertises a work-life balance however the reality is there is little time for anything but work(in 23 reviews)

• Conformist environment with a weak HR that is more of a mouthpiece of the senior management(in 19 reviews)

Lost the drive for growth and relevance...

ProsFinance is highly valued as a function

ConsCompany constraints & not the focus of GE

Decent Company

Assistant Controller (Current Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsGood work / life balance.
    People are friendly and easy to work with.
    Lot of communication emails.

ConsUnless you joined GE as an intern or part of FMP program, advancement is very difficult.
    Compensation is lower than market standards
    Benefits are lower than market standards

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus a lot on surveys and scores, but do not take the time to drill down into details to see where and how feedback can be improved upon

Good opportunities for career advancement

Senior Finance Manager (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsPromotion every 2 years
    On the job learning

ConsChallenging work life balance
    Limited salary increases for top perfomers

Advice to Senior ManagementSalaries should be based on performance and value added from the employee, not on the years of experience.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Innovative

ProsLeaders inspire within and promote diversity and imagination

ConsPay is not competitive within the market / industry

Advice to Senior ManagementReward all levels of leaderhsip and grow and develop each person

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

It has been challenging and rewarding

ProsLarge Company with great benefits

ConsLimited upward mobility with the company

Great coworkers

Escalations Specialist (Former Employee) Rapid City, SD

ProsNice people, ok training, great benefits.

ConsNo room for advancement they prefer to hire new employees instead of promotions. No feedback from managers unless it is bad. Call times can't be met because of short staff. Turn over is bad because the expectations are set high and the company is really aggressive.

Learned a lot, great experience, average culture

Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee) Danbury, CT

ProsThe power of the GE brand. Lots of trust placed in entry level, mid-level employees. Relatively hands off management style from leadership. Good pay for first job out of college. Great paid time off. Opportunities to learn through world-class training sessions + conferences (if you can get your boss to approve). Fantastic opportunities to work with huge national vendors + hone communication skills

ConsFor my first job out of college, the culture was really difficult. Most people are relatively older than a recent college grad, so after work happy hours and opportunities to meet similar people are non-existent. Only met my direct supervisor twice in person. Direct job training + onboarding was also non-existent. Inflexible work schedules (you won't find work-from-home, results only work environment, odd-hours, etc. available at GE) Very traditional in the sense that you better be there from 7:30-6pm.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild better mentorship/on-boarding practices for employees at all branches. Have conversations with entry-level employees about career pathing within the first 6 months so employees can have realistic expectations about timing/timelines. Become more flexible in work schedules + work cultures.

Customer Service Representative

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Kettering, OH

ProsAs a position to "get your feet wet" in a corporate environment and if you want to start low on the pole, it's okay. It had a cafeteria and was able to stretch my wings of responsibility. Good attention to detail is always required and it's not what you could call a boring job. Always work to do.

ConsCall center environment very limiting and management, although reasonably friendly, is unwilling to discuss or move toward positive change. Rigid hierarchy prevents upward mobility and contributes to corporate stagnation. It's just a job and if you want to move up, you will have to play the politics. Coworkers are genuine but management is blind to the carnage around them.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would invest heavily into putting systems in place where employees are not treated as though just another number. Permit them to genuinely move up and toward career goals when available. Metrics aren't everything. There's a soft side to business that can help you in ways efficiency can't.

Toxic

Rates and Terms Specialist (Former Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsThey had free coffee. They also have free indoor parking. If you are part of the SLT (Senior Leadership Team).

ConsThe last survey by employes working in this position, I would say 10 out of 12, rated the position and the department "toxic". I think that's enough said.

Advice to Senior ManagementMind manipulation and playing favorites never really works in a team environment.

Great company to work for those looking for stabillity!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay is great and really fair. There are plenty of opportunities to make some money. Training used to be rough but has been revamped and is now much more in depth. Benefits are awesome. Plenty of contests and gift cards spread around to make you feel appreciated.

ConsCollections is rough and can be depressing.

Worked for GE Capital? Contribute to the Community!