GE Capital Reviews

4.2
GE Capital CEO Keith Sherin
Keith Sherin
1 Rating

Pros
  • Good work life balance, Talented People from different Background (in 55 reviews)

• Opportunities to learn through world-class training sessions (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it's hard to maintain work life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Difficult environment for people in sales jobs, lots of pressure from senior management (in 20 reviews)

1. I can't believe I get paid to work here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I worked at GE Capital (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun working environment, very friendly. Free fruit and drinks, beautiful office! Best benefits ever.

Cons

Parking downtown is a bit of a challenge. Workspace is open table, not everyone gets a desk.

Advice to Management

Keep cultivating inclusion! The work environment and office culture is outstanding!

Information Security Project Manager

Current Employee - Information Security Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Information Security Manager in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at GE Capital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and 401k, other smaller perks make the package worthwhile. Culture of sharing ideas. Alos allows some telecommuting (can vary based on your manager).

Cons

Decision making from management is cumbersome and hinders employees from developing further.

Advice to Management

List to your employees and offer defined training programs. Fund professional certifications for your employees as this is how we stay current with technology.

3. Frustration and lack of vision

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in New Orleans, LA

I worked at GE Capital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was above average for our area and the benefits were above average as well. The location was ideal for those that like fast paced downtown life. There was always something to do after work which made it a great place to be during spring time/festival season. Getting involved with community volunteer initiatives was fantastic and rewarding. (See note in Cons) Available options to learn with the amount of vendors and "toys" were plentiful. The people there REALLY tried to make it a great place to work.

Cons

Offsite downtown parking could be a nightmare and "the inner circle" were always allowed to park in the building. Two blocks in the rain can be quite annoying. Two blocks when it got dark early could also be scary... The expectation that you would volunteer was unwelcome. Management from up North didn't help anyone grow their career unless you were "picked" to join the inner circle. Hearing, "We've always done it this way." is a sure sign the legacy folks like the status quo. They have lost a tremendous amount of people through the frustration of a missing vision that all can buy into and go attack. The lack of communication here is a huge bottle neck as well.

Advice to Management

Lack of a vision, leadership and mentoring were the biggest issues I had. The amount of uncertainty and confusion on what my job role was after a re-organization of the group I worked in was mind blowing. Confusion and chaos ensued. No one really knew who was responsible for what. Advice, curb the constant search for something new to work for those feather in the cap moments and finish working on a project/application deployment that will help release the teams from mundane work. Listen to employees in a forum setting at least yearly and ensure that it isn't just a moan and groan session, come away with the issues and then options to address those issues from the employees. Make them own it too. Overall, less grandstanding with promises of making it better, be proactive in figuring out what the employees struggle with day in and day out.

5. Amazing Internship Experience

Former Intern - Software Developer Intern in New Orleans, LA
    Former Intern - Software Developer Intern in New Orleans, LA

I worked at GE Capital as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is very supportive of interns, you can work under several professionals within your COE, company buys you whatever books or software you need to become a better developer, access to amazing amount of GE resources and conferences.

Cons

Worse pay than is expected of someone with the talent to be accepted in a GE internship.

RSS Feed </> Embed