GE Capital

GE Capital Reviews in Norwalk, CT

Updated Jul 18, 2014

GE Capital CEO Keith Sherin

Keith Sherin

Pros
  • Good work-life balance, standardized rating system so you know where you stand(in 52 reviews)

• Opportunities to learn through world-class training sessions(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Company advertises a work-life balance however the reality is there is little time for anything but work(in 24 reviews)

• Conformist environment with a weak HR that is more of a mouthpiece of the senior management(in 19 reviews)

44 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company, especially if you come in at the mid-management level

Manager (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsOutstanding work/life balance, with flexibility in work schedule. Excellent opportunity for growth, with knowledgeable and supportive management team.

ConsHigh demand, lofty expectation work environment. Promotions generally require personal sacrifice, flexibility and at least one or more foreign assignments. If you are not intelligent, independent and adventurous, please stay clear - you'll be run over.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey're not perfect, but most do an outstanding job! Not much to complain about - keep up the good work.

10 Years w/ GE Capital

Finance Manager (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsGE has a great culture and excellent training programs. Work-life balance, at least in my group, has been amazing.

ConsCompensation is not competitive with the rest of Fairfield County/New York financial professionals. Very bureaucratic with decisions and action taking far too long to execute.

GE Capital Recruitment Marketing Leader responded to this review

Jul 24, 2014

We appreciate your review. We are always trying to get better. Reviews such as this are a great way to collect transparent feedback to do so. Thank you!

Good opportunities for career advancement

Senior Finance Manager (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsPromotion every 2 years
    On the job learning

ConsChallenging work life balance
    Limited salary increases for top perfomers

Advice to Senior ManagementSalaries should be based on performance and value added from the employee, not on the years of experience.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Intern at GE Capital

Sales Intern (Former Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsDirect access to executives and upper level management. Friendly employees and management who want to help your career development.

ConsMuch of the work is trivial, you are given little responsibility and very little room is allowed for creativity or suggestions. This is mostly due to GE's size and the bureaucratic nature of the organization. Much time was spent running through hoops.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to different ways of thinking and different personalities.

Great people and brand, overly complex organization, and alignment around growth in need of some tweaking

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsGreat brand and global reach opens doors. Mostly smart, dedicated people, across levels. Generally cooperative and collaborative environment, at least within each business unit. Ethical culture. Can be very competitive when they want to be. Most managers seem to support relatively reasonable work-life balance, within the requirements of the business. Great place to learn a corporate function like risk, finance, or HR.

ConsEasy to get hamstrung by overly risk averse, sometimes stiflingly complex structure, where everything requires multiple levels of approval and slow decisions. Shrinking the balance sheet since 2009 has meant less internal career opportunity for most people, and far more focus on expense reduction and getting out of businesses, than on new customers, new products, and growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company remains too risk averse since the crisis, and control functions tend to dominate cultural behavior. Better align around customers and commercial growth.

Overall great experience

CDP Intern (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsGood environment
    Great name on your resume
    For the most part, great people who want to see you grow and develop

ConsNot too many cons. Your experience here will no doubt reflect the tasks you're given and the people you're assigned to work for/with. More good people here than bad. Some great HR people here but some are just rude and extremely unhelpful.

Great brand name and pedigree...less than satisfactory experience

ECLP (Former Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsGE invests a great deal in their people via training; the company carries a great name recognition

ConsI was part of its Experienced Commercial Leadership Program at GE Capital. Program management did not know what to do with top B school grads who sought responsibility, team management, and an intellectually rewarding career.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from other, perhaps smaller companies who do a great job elevating people with the right skill sets and attitudes. Make it truly about performance versus perception management.

Great organization

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsLot of focus on training employees

ConsIt can get political at times

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on culture ..

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

GE is great for growing and having responsibility ownership, but they don't pay well.

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsWork at GE for the benefits and the leadership. Though salary is low, the benefits are fantastic. The tuition reimbursement program is amazing. The exposure to senior leadership is great.

ConsThe worst part about working at GE is that they don't pay well. They don't pay at the market rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries. The FMP program is a premier program and the best in class. Losing FMP graduates due to salary issues is idiotic.

GE is a place to create a career.

ECLP Associate (Current Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsEndless growth opportunities due to the size of the organization. If you're willing to be geographically flexible, you can succeed.

ConsCompany is huge and difficult to navigate at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider earlier pay increases to retain top talent.

Worked for GE Capital? Contribute to the Community!