GE Capital Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.5

GE Capital CEO Keith Sherin
Keith Sherin

Pros
  • Good work-life balance, standardized rating system so you know where you stand (in 52 reviews)

• Opportunities to learn through world-class training sessions (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Company advertises a work-life balance however the reality is there is little time for anything but work (in 24 reviews)

• Conformist environment with a weak HR that is more of a mouthpiece of the senior management (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Great management, Learned a lot about the company as a whole!

Former Employee - Information Management  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Information Management in Dallas, TX

I worked at GE Capital as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Not micro-managed. I was able to take time off when needed and plan my own work schedule (7:30 - 3:30) instead of 8-5 if I needed. Great relationships within the office as well. Good culture all around. I was given the chance to meet all of the interns and they had bonding activities as well. Located in a not so busy suburb of Dallas compared to Downtown.

Cons

Slightly less pay than some other departments. Expensive city. No benefits for interns but as is expected.

Maybe consider talking to other managers to see what they are paying each intern to make sure it is consistent for the work.

GE Review

I have been working at GE Capital

Pros

Learn about a lot of businesses

Cons

People who manage up get a lot farther than those doing the work

Manager reviews should be required

Great Benefits and lots of career mobility, including greographical relocation. Love the flexibility.

Current Employee - Portfolio Analyst  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Portfolio Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at GE Capital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits including health insurance, tuition reimbursements and corporate discounts. You can work from home if needed. A highly developed organizational culture that praises human capital and empowers leadership. If you are up for the challenge and willing to lead projects for the love of the company you will be successful here.

Cons

So big, this company can seem quite disorganized. Changes are too often. If you are not planning to be mobile in your career, you will not get very far. GE will at some point require you to move.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Know the values and demonstrate them.

Former Employee - Vice President  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I worked at GE Capital full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The culture is very structured and well defined. If you demonstrate the values, you will likely get the results. If you don't get the results right away, demonstrating the values consistently will give you more time to get the results.

More openness to work-at-home.

Cons

The goal of eliminating the bottom 10% of each unit can be problematic. Some units need to lose 20% of their workers,some only need to lose 1%.

There are parasitic types who fake the values and think work is a fashion show. They last longer than you'd like and they compete internally in a negative way that brings down morale.

Sell off divisions more often. Use the cash to build infrastructure in the poor areas of the Americas which will always be politically stable. Keep expanding work-at-home. Employees like it and you don't have to pay for their heat, rent, electricity, etc.

Great Company.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at GE Capital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, smart management, driven employees. Strong office culture and employee engagement. So many resources, in and out of the office (GE does everything).

Cons

Bureaucracy. What you'd expect at most Fortune 500 companies. Poor data management systems. Still a meritocracy, but not as much as it once was under Welsh.

Excellent Company

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at GE Capital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing career opportunities, fantastic leaders

Cons

Many layers of management, can be difficult to navigate at times

Great place to grow

Current Employee - Lead Risk Analyst  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Lead Risk Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at GE Capital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very high quality of employees, surrounding skills and requirements - if you want to succeed within the GE framework, there is nothing that will stop you.

Cons

Structure, although good and purposeful in intent, can be limiting and demotivating. Ensure you have the right manager that mathes your style and aspirations, otherwise you can get lost in the masses. If you're not near HQ you miss out on a lot of opportunities.

Keep doing what you're doing - especially in terms of driving innovation while protecting the core.

great!

Former Employee - FP&A Analyst  in  Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - FP&A Analyst in Stamford, CT

I worked at GE Capital full-time for more than a year

Pros

the pros of the company are the culture, people, moving around, co-workers, networking, fast pace work environment

Cons

the cons to the company are work life balance and they could pay more. But other than that no other cons i see in the company.

training and compensation

The people I worked with were great!

Former Employee - Intern  in  Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Intern in Stamford, CT

I worked at GE Capital as an intern for more than a year

Pros

From my experience, the team I was on was great and welcoming. There were also days we would go volunteering or workshops hosted by GE to help is grow in aspects that did not relate to work. I felt that they tried to help their employees professionally and help them find a good work-life balance.

Cons

Difficult to learn about other areas of the company. This would create a challenge if you wanted to be able to move around in the future and work on different teams. There was also a lot of change happening at the time.

Great Company

Former Employee - Customer Service (CSR)  in  Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service (CSR) in Frisco, TX

I worked at GE Capital full-time for more than a year

Pros

great benefits for medical, dental and vision.

Cons

Always want you to sell something
    dealing with rude customers

stop with sales

Worked for GE Capital? Contribute to the Community!