GE Capital Reviews

Reset
3.8
GE Capital CEO Keith Sherin
Keith Sherin

Pros
  • Good work life balance, Talented People from different Background (in 55 reviews)

• Opportunities to learn through world-class training sessions (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it's hard to maintain work life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Difficult environment for people in sales jobs, lots of pressure from senior management (in 20 reviews)

1. GE - we bring good things to life.

Current Employee - Senior Collector in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Senior Collector in Cedar Rapids, IA

I have been working at GE Capital

Pros

They genuinely care about their employees and the community in general. The volunteerism in the community is abundantly evident of that. This site is a center of excellence and its employees are one huge family, ready to help each other when a need arises. Am proud to be a member of this family, GE. The benefit package is stellar, none in the area can compare. The opportunity to advance is there for the ones willing to put in the hard work. The rewards are abundant. The management team leads by example by taking you along with them,notby being above you.Great place.

Cons

Some people don't realize how good they have it and they complain more than they should.

Advice to Management

Thanks for caring enough to reach out.

GE is the best place to work.

Current Employee - ECLP Associate in Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - ECLP Associate in Norwalk, CT

I have been working at GE Capital

Pros

The reason I chose to work for GE was its focus on integrity and the abundant opportunities available within the company. GE is constantly changing, therefore you are continuously challenged. The company also makes training a priority and provides a wide-range of resource tools. You are also surrounded by intelligent, hard-working, ethical people whom you can admire and learn from. Also, GE also has a great work-life-balance environment. I am expecting a baby this fall, and they have been extremely supportive and understanding during this exciting time in my life. I am proud to work for GE and feel very fortunate to be part of such an elite company.

Cons

I thought one of the downsides of working at GE Capital would be its size. I thought it would be too big, and that I would often feel like a number, but that is not true at all. Actually, each business operates like a smaller firm and there is constant communication so you always feel aware of what is going on within GE. I don't believe there are any downsides of working at GE Capital. It is a company that requires every employee to learn quickly, adapt to change, and retain a lot of information, which may be difficult for some.

Advice to Management

I would advise Senior Leadership to continue its focus on training and people development. I would also suggest that during turbulant times to continuously communicate with fellow employees, to increase the confidence within the firm. Overall, I think Senior Leadership has done an excellent job and I'm proud to be part of their team.

3. Great place in a small town.

Current Employee - Systems Specialist in Moberly, MO
    Current Employee - Systems Specialist in Moberly, MO

I have been working at GE Capital

Pros

Here in Moberly, it's one of the best jobs available without having to commute. With the low cost of living, a GE salary goes a pretty long way. The people here act more like a family than just a bunch of co-workers. We do our job and we do it well, and that's why we're one of the best in the business. You don't have to know a lot about leasing when you walk in the door, because the training available is first rate and you will learn on the job. Best of all, the managers really listen to their staff.

Cons

Because we're here in Moberly, we don't feel as connected with what's going on in other locations, and we sometimes feel like we get the short end of the stick because we're in a rural location. We're two and a half hours from a major airport, which means the most senior managers maybe visit once or twice a year. We're a fairly independent shop because of that, but I think it also sometimes leaves us out of the considerations or lowers us in the standings when major decisions are being made at the uppermost strategic levels. You sometimes feel isolated from having any input or control over the overall status out here.

Advice to Management

Come out here more often and talk to the general employees more.

5. GE Capital is a great place to work.

Former Employee - Vice President, Risk Management in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Vice President, Risk Management in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at GE Capital

Pros

Job challenge, training and opportunity. It is a huge organization with opportunity all over the world in a large variety of job types. The culture is open and direct and good teamwork skills are a must. Associates are given adequate technology to accomplish their jobs. Lots of stress is placed on compliance and ethical behavior.

Cons

Might have to relocate for the next opportunity, frequent management changes. Management is frequently too focused on the short term numbers instead of building long term value. In '06 and '07 everything focused on growth and the predictable outcome was a huge loss in the morgage sector that should have been prevented.

Advice to Management

Don't let the lust for growth overcome risk discipline.

6. A company like no other!

Current Employee - Marketing Leader
    Current Employee - Marketing Leader

I have been working at GE Capital

Pros

Unparalled opportunities for growth and leadership development - no other company I've worked for in 15 years comes close. Also, lots of extremely smart people to learn from who also happen to be fun to work with and are worth getting to know. The Company's commitment to diversity and culture of high integrity and strong values are also key differentiators - these are the things that make GE a great 'fit' for me.

Cons

Not really a "downside" - but it's a demanding and very competitive environment. You have to be ready and willing to step up to new challenges every day, which may call for personal sacrifices at times (but don't worry, they usually don't go un-rewarded).

Advice to Management

Not sure

Great Company before this credit crisis.

Former Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I worked at GE Capital

Pros

Admirable leadership team, learning opportunities are unlimited if you ask for them and impress the right people, compensation & perks are very competitive.

Cons

VERY long hours, no work-life balance. Missed out on plenty of family events, taking care of aging family members, no time to devote to charity work despite the company's encouragement of this type of activity. Position was eliminated because of problems at GE Capital.

Advice to Management

Find ways for employees to have more work life balance. More balanced lifestyles lead to happier, more creative and productive employees.

8. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Program Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at GE Capital

Pros

Loved it! Good management, good communication, good opportunity to learn and grow.

Cons

Positions are very focused on specific responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Hire me back!

9. Great Firm and Great People.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst-FX Accounting and Analytics in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst-FX Accounting and Analytics in Stamford, CT

I have been working at GE Capital

Pros

Great career developments, great training and enormous opportunities for advancement for the right people. I would definitely recommend GE to any prospective candidate.

Cons

Salary not the most competitive; probably around 75th percentile but other benefits and opportunities for career development and training make up for this.

Advice to Management

Great job so far but some improvements could be made by giving capable employees greater responsibilities regardless of years of experience.

10. Great Company

I have been working at GE Capital

Pros

Challenging job, advancement, learning opportunities, co-workers and network

Cons

Not many. Advancement requires drive and energy

Advice to Management

Keep going

11. Great

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at GE Capital

Pros

Great company to work for. You will get excellent training. Knowledge sharing throughout the company is a plus. Innovative deals.

Cons

The company is very centered around politics. To advance, you have to play the game. They recognize smart people, but you also have to suck up to management to get ahead. Salary is not comparable to investment banks.

Advice to Management

Reward employees more for their hard work and less for their political expertise. Also, the company does not have a very flat structure-too much heiarchy.

RSS Feed </> Embed