GE

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.6 2,370 reviews

GE Chairman & CEO Jeffrey R. Immelt

Jeffrey R. Immelt

Pros
  • Provides ample opportunity for growth in career , work -life balance is encouraged(in 123 reviews)

• Lots of opportunities to advance if you're willing to move around a lot(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Also most of the people i know who work here don't have much work life balance(in 132 reviews)

• Can be long hours but if you are good at planning your day, you will be more than fine(in 76 reviews)

2,370 Employee Reviews

Good place to start

ProsHeavy investment in training and development

ConsWork consists primarily of data management and populated pitch pages

Great learning experience

Intern (Current Employee) Vega Baja, PR

ProsThey give you a good amount of responsibility which will helps you to grow professionally pretty fast. The people are really nice and they treat you as family.

ConsOverall a good company but not so good with organization and you have to be prepared to deal with a great amount of stress because sometimes things don't go as planned.

GE Strategist responded to this review

Jul 1, 2014

Thank you for your feedback! We are always working on simplifying. Your thoughts are very helpful.

Great place to work at

ProsGood training, fast paced, good management

ConsNot enough travelling, not enough bonuses

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Process Engineer

Process Engineer (Current Employee) Grove City, PA

ProsGreat company for using your imagination to do what is right. New blood and direction has sparked a flurry of motion to bring GE ahead in technology.

ConsThe internal systems are out of date and tedious

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep reaching for the future.

A great place to work if you're old and need to provide for your family

Lead Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA

Pros- Great benefits
    - Not very demanding hours

Cons- Pay is directly proportional to how many years experience you have (not skill)
    - Initiating change is difficult, border-lining impossible
    - Product owners do not have technical expertise, which causes problems
    - Money is wasted on un-necessary items, which could otherwise be better spent

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify everything, focus on our own internal software, pay our talented employees more (lest they keep leaving), and stop wasting money.

Hate the place

ProsFamous and well known company to work for. You get the awe and attention of everyone in a bar.

ConsEverything else.
    Pay is average.
    High Stress
    Leadership sucks. All they care about is bonuses. Everybody hits each other on the head to get the job done.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of worrying about your bonuses help make GE better. I'm off to Lockhead Martin

Great place to start a career

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) Fairfield, CT

ProsStrong focus on development
    Global opportunities
    Fast paced
    Smart co-workers
    Great leadership foundation

ConsWill have to relocate often
    Like other big corporations political and very structured

Advice to Senior ManagementThink differently, the majority of decision makers have 25+ years of GE experience.

This is a good company to work for as long as you plan on putting in the extra time it takes to advance your career.

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI have worked with some great people and there are plenty of opportunities to learn but you have to look for them.

ConsThere seems to be an overall lack of training for newer employees. Also most of the people i know who work here don't have much work life balance. It seems as though you are supposed to work extra time just to cover your workload. This over working just seems to be part of the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be better system for training new employees. Also might be a good idea to consider how overworked some of the employees are, in my opinion a less stressed employee is more productive.

Good Leadership program.

ProsFair employment. Good opportunities for leadership growth regardless of race or sex.

ConsHealthcare insurance needs improvement. Less days time off unless completed 5 years of service.

Great company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits excellent. Time off policy very good. Able to research and apply for positions throughout the company in all divisions and subsidiaries. Leadership training very good. GE employees are looked at by other companies and recruiters.

ConsVery high expectations so be ready to put in some long days. In some areas there is management overkill.
    Too much training overlap in some GE business.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay in tune with your co-workers. Remember they work for GE, not you.

GE Strategist responded to this review

Jun 17, 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are always trying to improve and feedback like this really helps to provide a transparent look from our former and current employees.

Worked for GE? Contribute to the Community!