GE

3.6 2,342 reviews

GE Chairman & CEO Jeffrey R. Immelt

Jeffrey R. Immelt

2,342 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great Work/ life Balance and above market perks and benefits in a global company"
    in 92 reviews
  • "Lots of opportunity to grow your career and continue to take on new challenges"
    in 43 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-Life Balance can be challenging if you choose to climb the corporate ladder"
    in 107 reviews
  • "Can be long hours but if you are good at planning your day, you will be more than fine"
    in 65 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsIt gives you the potential to learn a lot, many opportunities to move to other divisions, and the engineers are all helpful to have you grow.

ConsYou have to work long hours to meet deadlines. Sometimes over weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the health of the family when employees are working extra hours. Without a solid foundation, production falls as well as moral.

Ea

ProsGood opportunity to learn new skills

ConsToo many mgmt layers and no growth

Your mileage may vary

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Stamford, CT

ProsYou are surrounded by many intelligent people, managers are usually very experienced, and you learn a great deal vs. other companies. Development is top notch and second to none. I would say that I learned more at this company than where I am currently. I worked hard but learned a great deal.

ConsIf you aren't on the fast track in certain key leadership programs or working in an area they need expertise (Tax, Legal, any government facing compliance role) you will be underpaid. Most employees will be paid less than market, and there is no incentive to stay with the company if you aren't in the select group they pick their leaders from and don't breathe and live the culture. Work life balance in finance was nonexistent. Unfortunately, the company for many is a resume builder.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement knows that the company's culture is so strong that they can retain most of their top leaders and develop up and coming leaders who will stay; the other employees who are not on that track will leave once they learn that they are not compensated fairly. In order to retain your employees, especially the younger generations, you will need to compensate them more. As the economy improves and younger workers show less and less company loyalty, relying on your culture won't cut it.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HR

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThere is a tremendous amount of opportunity, IF you know how to work the careers.ge.com system.

ConsNo such thing as work life balance.

Many talented people but...

Contract Engineer (Former Employee)
    Lawrence Park, Erie, PA

ProsGood people to work with.

ConsOrganization and facilities are disjointed. Contract rate was the lowest I've ever worked. Facilities are extremely old and run down. Offices are shabby.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your planning on continuing business in Erie then fix the place up for gosh sake!

Severe issues in Platform team - Nepotism and Unprofessional conduct is common.

Engineer (Former Employee)
    San Ramon, CA

ProsGE as a company is good. They hired the worst possible Sybase rejects to lead the platform. If GE hires people with people skills this could be a good place to work.

ConsPeople in manager positions have no clue what a platform is.
    Serious lack of people skills.
    There is widespread behavior bordering ethical misconduct.
    You will be *told* to work on weekends and not paid for it. If you don't there will repercussions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo beyond fancy numbers in ppt. Management is about people and not about a cherry picked numbers on a ppt slide.
    Address serious lack of integrity.
    Software is about human capital. Focus on employees who get the work done.

Test engineer

ProsGood company with a lot of standard process

Conscontributors have little say and very little control of what happens in the co.

Advice to Senior Managementflatten the totem pole

Talk a good game

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsLots of smart people; generally a very professional atmosphere; opportunities for advancement, if you're willing to play the game.

ConsVery aggressive and overbearing work schedule, work-life balance suffers. Their commitment to 'Lean' methodologies is almost a joke; you must get certified to help your career, but projects are done for the sake of doing projects, not really to help; every project I saw enacted actually made things worse. People are transient - you're expected to move around and change jobs every 2 years or so, or else you're seen as there being something wrong with you. People will implement some new process to make a name for themselves, and then move on and let someone else clean up the mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the emphasis placed on Lean projects and how they're evaluated. Let people develop competency and stay put for a while if desired without being stigmatized. Especially for middle leadership - take responsibility for actions; if you implement some new program or process, stick around to make sure it works or fix it.

GE

ProsFloating holidays and vacation days

ConsNot a meritocracy. Promotion based on race and gender.

Quality

Lead Quality Supplier Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Leadership training grounds for future leaders. You own your destiny at GE.

Consneed to move faster and drive further simplification in our reporting structure. Need to return to "start up approach"

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the middle man

Flag Review
    GE Strategist responded to this review May 21, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback about training leaders. We certainly take pride in that at GE. Simplification is certainly an area that we continue to work on. Great ... More

Worked for GE? Contribute to the Community!

GE Videos

GE – Why Work for Us?

At GE, we are building, curing, moving, and power the world. It goes beyond businesses, brands and infrastructure. With several businesses and operations in over 170 countries, GE employees have an unparalleled… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GE reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GE CEO Jeffrey R. Immelt . All 2,342 reviews posted anonymously by GE employees.