GE Energy Management

Not yet rated.

Mark W. Begor

Lack of direction

Foxboro, MA

ProsFriendly people, nice facility, good benefits

ConsMangement lacks a realizable vision for the business.

Increasing workloads/expections without equitable compensation or chance for advancement.

Prosflexible schedule, lots to learn

ConsWith restructuring, retirements and releases of new products (hardwar and software), work loads increase year after year, workloads far outpace compensation. There is no performance incentive or bonus structure for most employees. There is poor vision on career path and internal training on our product offerings.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore stacking more work on your employees, consider what you can do for them. Value your employees, the mindset that all GE employees should consider their employment a privilege is terrible culture to promote.

Slim chance that GE-IP can survive.

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Charlottesville, VA

ProsFantastic co-workers. Great location. Good benefits. Good name to have on a resume. Can see all of the organization's functional areas all on the same campus. Previously would have considered new product development as a positive, but that has drastically changed.

ConsNo leadership accountability: they make bad decisions and punish others for the results. There is no hiding this fact.
    No safe avenue to voice concerns or provide potential solutions: another recent reviewer mentioned the RITE initiative (Retaliation Isn't Tolerated Ever) being a farce and they are completely correct. To be fair, I only know this in the Product Development area under the current leadership (effective May, 2013 until present). However since this is a technology company Product Development is very central. If you recognize a problem being perpetuated by the leadership team you better not mention it, EVEN if you have a simple solution readily available.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou better start listening to your employees with an open mind before you are the only people left. It may already be too late to save this organization since so many people have willingly left, and continue to leave. When they walk out the door GE-IP loses a lot of experience and history. You better recognize this as a problem rather than cheering each loss bypretending it is the removal of another employee that can't cut it.
    Best advice: leave now before you have to continue witnessing the downfall of the organization due to your poor management and leadership. It may save your ego while possibly saving the company.
    I made my decision to leave when I realized that future plans were all heading in the same direction. Others are realizing this now too and that's why the Engineering team is down to 20% of its former size. Market share has plummeted and will continue to do so without any new products from the non-existent Engineering team. Then GE closes the doors on the former GE Fanuc Automation organization.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not optimistic about outlook for this business

Human Resources Person (Former Employee)
    Charlottesville, VA

ProsCharlottesville location is wonderful. Mfg team there doing their best with minimal resources and support. Some significant investment in Cville based controls products in 2011-12 but not seeing results in market. Strong hourly and salaried ops teams, strong mid-level managers.

ConsWeak business leadership from Mary Rose Sylvester and questionable capability on Jody's part. Some strong players have left senior and midlevel ranks in engineering, finance, manufacturing, HR and marketing. Too much focus on quarter by quarter results; business lacks staying power. Gutted the business in 09 for good reasons, but never added back resources commensurate with business recovery.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement bonus below executive band like 75% of your competitors. Celebrate your long service employees instead of treating them like furniture.

I had 18 years of experience at GE Zenith as an Administrative Assistant and Indirect Buyer assisting Engineers and PMs.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsIf you are Engineer with great experience in AutoCAD 2013 working with Switchgears and Transfer Switches, this place is for you.

ConsIt's a manufacturing environment. If you are looking for casual environment, it's for you but if you don't want manufacturing environment, then don't apply here.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more pro-active and appreciate what the engineers does to this organization because they work hard to finish project.

Great coworkers, lacking leadership

Firmware Engineer (Former Employee)
    Charlottesville, VA

ProsThey're trying to move toward a true Agile Continuous Development environment, which makes it a great place to learn about all software development processes to move faster if you're on the right team. They're also willing to pay for some training occasionally. We were able to take a week long Test Driven Development course in the fall of 2013.

ConsLeadership had a tendency to blame engineering for creating the wrong rock, even if that was what was asked for.

Interesting work, good people, mediocre management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosinteresting, new tech, good prople

Consmediocre upper management at best

No Leadership, Wrong Path

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Charlottesville, VA

ProsFlexible work schedule. Lots of parking now.

ConsEngineering resources are grossly misused. Senior Product Managers are clueless, so are many of the Engineering Managers. It is like they have never executed a plan before in their lives, and just make crap up as they go along. People with absolutely no credibilty are given the reigns. Have a stupid idea, get a few million to go do it with absolutely no customer validation. Executive Leaders will only listen to people that tell them exactly what they want to hear. When the truth hurts, it is held against the messenger. R.I.T.E is all wrong there. Fast track managers are all about themselves. They leave a wake of destruction and never have to face the music as they move on to their next rotation before their results are really seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to help the company, quit.

FMP Internship at GEIP

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAllow interns to take on challenging projects from the very start; good values (i.e. merit and ethics); everyone is willing to help

ConsHighly bureaucratic; low pay relative to hours worked

Shortsighted

Production (Former Employee)
    Charlottesville, VA

ProsVery good pay, but leader bonuses should be shared a bit more. I say this and I am not a socialist. Their bonuses are that good.

ConsGoes for the Headcount first for cost reduction as lives by the quarterly reports. After so many layoffs and thinning, the company loses great people-- not deadwood. These people are hard to replace.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the workforce more. The workforce has great ideas regarding both innovation and cost reduction. Also, decide the service level that is accepatable to the customer, or that the business leaders support and than plan for that service level. Do not expect a service level that is not funded or supported by the business.

Worked for GE Energy Management? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GE Energy Management reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GE Energy Management CEO Mark W. Begor. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by GE Energy Management employees.