GE Energy Management Reviews

Reset
3.1
GE Energy Management President & CEO Mark W. Begor
Mark W. Begor

Pros
  • Salary, Benefits, Work culture, Work Life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Wide exposure to variety of technologies throughout the company giving a diverse knowledge base and a great place to start or grow your career (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little career upward mobility, lack of true direction from upper management, no bonus structure (in 5 reviews)

• It's a big company and you're just a number (in 2 reviews)

1. Great Company

I have been working at GE Energy Management full-time

Pros

Dynamic and relevant, there is a strong sense of ownership and purpose for the results we deliver. We are filled with pride to work in surrounded by tremendous talent and expertise.

Cons

I have worked at only a few organizations (5) and I can not think of a better place.

Advice to Management

Keep what you are doing and GE will be here for another turn of the century.

2. Operations finance analyst.

Current Employee - Operations Finance Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Operations Finance Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at GE Energy Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GE Invests in you. They want to develop you as a leader, a critical thinker and innovator. You can push your career as fast as you would like to and are able to. There are also a meritocracy where hard work is rewarded.

Cons

ERP Systems can be difficult to work with. There is a fair amount of bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

I haven't been working here long enough to Give advice.

Not a promising outlook

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Plainville, CT
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Plainville, CT

I have been working at GE Energy Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment is good, with people generally getting along well. Benefits and pay are also competitive. Overall it is a decent place to work.

Cons

A lot of budget cuts and restrictions lately. Multiple trips have been cancelled, a lot of hiring freezes and even some layoffs. Raises are fairly minimal, and sometimes it seems like upper management cares more for their own own paycheck than the benefit of the company.

5. Great Opportunities

Current Employee - OMLP Intern in Salem, VA
    Current Employee - OMLP Intern in Salem, VA

Pros

Great market potential, supportive co-workers, high level of viability, good opportunities

Cons

Somewhat unorganized in terms of manufacturing and direction of company but it is drastically improving

6. ITLP Intern

Pros

GE keeps their interns working and busy throughout the entire internship. GE pays for relocation, traveling and a good hourly wage.

Cons

GE locations are in the south and out of major cities. Not many interns were at my location.

Advice to Management

n/a

Your experience will vary greatly with your manager

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in West Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in West Melbourne, FL

I worked at GE Energy Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GE is good for early career growth. Good entry-level salaries in engineering. Comfortable work environment. Exposure to many opportunities in and out of Energy Management. Some good training opportunities, (Six Sigma, CAP, etc.)

Cons

Long work hours are the rule, and I personally have had some managers who frowned upon anyone seeking "work/life" balance. GE is terrible for midlevel career growth. Average to below average salaries in engineering. There is a definite lack of career path for anyone wishing to stay on the technical-side of the business. Too much re-organizational churn, (in one year I reported to 4 different people.) EM business overall is not strong and layoffs are likely. Many people promoted to management levels do not have the necessary skills to manage people. Specific to Energy Management, the product managers seem to lack vision for the future, and follow the current trend. Given their long release cycles this puts their products at a distinct disadvantage. Pricing and product delivery strategy are also well behind the times.

Advice to Management

The current management training is not enough! The people who want to be in management positions should be up to the task. When I had a good manager at GE, I had many excellent experiences and opportunities. When I had a poor manager at GE, my day to day work life was miserable. Sadly I had to work for too many of the latter. Regular refresher courses in best practices in resource management are a must. The products need to start anticipating their markets. Prices need to come down and the product delivery must be faster.

Tragic downward spiral

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GE Energy Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Large company, globally recognized, pockets of tremendous talent

Cons

Reward not based on performance, major cost cutting in benefits, staff, travel. Complete lack of direction with the Alstom integration... GE employees left in limbo

Advice to Management

Value your performers, make your team that has delivered feel like they matter.

9. Intelligent Platforms

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at GE Energy Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

GE is a good name to have on your resume. GE is a great place to start as a junior engineer. As a global company, there is a lot of opportunity to work with teams across the world.

Cons

Questionable management. The business is lacking true leaders. Management has made several risky decisions in the past 5-6 years that have not worked out because the wrong people were initially put in charge. The company has paid for it in many ways. Many of the key decision makers responsible for the failures have not only not been held accountable for their decisions, but have prospered from them while others have been scapegoated. GE management likes to get milk for free where it can. Promotions are non-existent for those that keep their mouth shut and execute on their tasks. Pay is well below market, but benefits can make up for it depending on what you need or value.

Advice to Management

Value your employees and hold the decisions makers (yourselves) accountable for the failures. Listen to the smart people you hire. Those that do nothing but repeat what you say are not worth the money you pay them. Get rid of them and hire independent thinkers. Follow through on your promises.

10. My experience......

Current Employee - Senior S/W Engineer in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Senior S/W Engineer in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at GE Energy Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Projects variety, collaboration with other teams in US and globally, career advancement

Cons

Like any big corporate organisation, it has its slow moments, however there is a massive drive and many initiatives to reduce red-tape, innovate and make things go faster like in small firms.

sourcing buyer

I worked at GE Energy Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great support for learning, and advancement

Cons

micro manage too much, tends to stifle the creativity

Advice to Management

let the employees do their jobs first

RSS Feed </> Embed