GE Global Research

GE Global Research Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

GE Global Research Senior Vice President and Director GE Global Research Mark M. Little

Mark M. Little

Pros
  • Great people, lots of opportunity for growth, strives to allow work/life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Witness cutting edge technology being created (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • I understand that processes are important for any big company (in 3 reviews)

• Management is concerned about high turnover rate, but has struggled to impact this issue (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

a great company for first job

Scientist (Former Employee)

Proshas the opportunity to work on projects in different fields, some projects are research-type and supported by government grant, possible to go to academia later

Conspromotion is slow, may lack focus on your projects if you are interested in specific areas

Advice to Senior Managementshould do better to keep top talents

Refrain if you are into software

Computer Scientist (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, great benefits, high compensation

ConsWork is no good. Projects dont last long because of management clutter. Management has lost direction. Too many middle layer management people who have no idea where projects are going. If you are into software, you basically work as a consultant looking for opportunities..
    Time management system (eTIM) is a mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together before the place falls apart.

Good Start

Lead Scientist (Current Employee) Niskayuna, NY

ProsGreat exposure to every GE business and tons of opportunities to learn/grow.

ConsAfter the novelty wears off, the annual turnover of work gets tedious. Only feasible way to really have an impact is to be lucky enough to have an opportunity to work for one business for multiple years. Beyond that, the yearly dynamic generally results in things just getting figured out by the time things are wrapping up.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a trend toward Fast Works and brining in software analytics people to solve specific problems. While effective, it is crushing the creative culture. I loved GRC when I started, but this trend has made work life feel more like a treadmill.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to start

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Niskayuna, NY

Prosvery interesting projects
    very capable and intelligent crowd

Conscareer growth path not clear
    very poor benefits compared to other companies
    The upstate area location might be unappealing to some for long term stay

Advice to Senior ManagementMake an effort to keep employees from transitioning to other places.......You ask the employees to take pride in the company but they need to know that the company takes pride in them !!

Great place to start your career as a fresh grad, Definitely NOT a place to start work 3+ years into your career

Lead Researcher (Current Employee) Niskayuna, NY

ProsCutting edge work; expert colleagues; exposure to the breadth of GE businesses (aviation, energy, transportation, oil & gas); opportunity to make a real difference

ConsCareer stagnation; project fiefdoms; too many labs that claim the same expertise causing territorial fights; managers/colleagues that fixate on how things were in the past; poor benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementArticulate a clear vision (long-term research vs. short term consulting projects), develop a strategy to achieve that vision, and make the employees a part of that strategy.

Great Environment

Research Summer Intern (Current Employee)

ProsAwesome benefit and great values of GE. People are very nice and very friendly. And it is amazing that engineers and scientists here have a passion for what they do. As only an intern, they would even consult me on something just because I have a little more experience with the software.

ConsAlthough there is no restriction on working hours, I heard from my manager that they usually worked for much more than 40 hours/week.

Awesome place to work at, great people

ProsFreedom to choose projects, large research budget

ConsNo, particular drawbacks or deficiencies. As with any big organization, it takes time to develop contacts and working relationships.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great company to start with

Lead Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Niskayuna, NY

ProsFlat structure. Lots of intelligent people around. You work with PhDs from different areas. Great culture. Flexible hours. Opportunities to learn from multiple GE businesses. It spends effort to develop new hires.

ConsAlthough company advocates Work Life Balance, the workload is actually pretty high. The salary grows slowly, not recognizing people's experience. Not easy to get promoted. You may stuck at the lower level engineer/scientist job for a long time.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the top talents with higher pay

Intellectual stimulated, flexible research environment

Research Summer Intern (Former Employee) Niskayuna, NY

ProsIntellectual stimulated, flexible/open research environment with great colleagues

Conssometimes could have more effective meetings

Advice to Senior Managementcould be more engaging

Okay place to work, but lacks focus and feels old

Data Analytics (Current Employee) Niskayuna, NY

ProsWork-life balance is not bad. Fellow researchers are generally nice. Pay is not bad for upstate new york. Flexible work hours. Huge breadth. Decent immigration support for internationals. Staff is generally good. Okay company to start with. Some groups are very strong so if you are joining in them and you know what you are doing, then a good career platform.

ConsLacks focus. Too much driven by the whim of the business, or at least that's the way it appears to the individual contributors. Research technologies worked here are only cutting edge in a handful of areas. Different levels of management say different things. Upper upper management wanna go for commercial products and mid-level management wanna go for external funding through darpa, nsf, nih. Massive budget cuts in terms of traveling. Also the area is not very happening for younger professionals, but for older professionals with families looks like a good relaxing gig. But then that causes it to be flooded by older professionals. For entry-level, initially huge learning opportunity to see corporate r&d, but saturates in 6-8 months. They have horrible daily time sheet and project expenditure system and after a while you don't feel you are doing research, but just finishing one service order after other. The key decision makers are not thought leaders of some of the newly emerging areas and it shows up in the decisions. Too many trainings. IT infrastructure is 20th century. They pay decent $$$ but don't spend $ in making the 8 hour work experience enjoyable with sleek computers and better furniture. Lacks character and energy. Project staffing is lousy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to do something about too much breadth and no focus. Cutting so much travel budget is very bad for the moral of the researchers. Not sure what you can do about the up state location, but its dull for young professionals.

Worked for GE Global Research? Contribute to the Community!