GE Healthcare

GE Healthcare Reviews in Barrington, IL

Updated Jul 10, 2014

GE Healthcare President & CEO John Dineen

John Dineen

Pros
  • Great potential for good work/life balance depending on which team you are on(in 60 reviews)

• work from home like Flexibility and good growth opportunities(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • It's slightly below peer standard but a better work-life balance can be reaped as the trade-off(in 65 reviews)

• No work life balance although they bombard you with work life balance tips and information you can't apply(in 12 reviews)

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Short lived but good

Software Engineering Manager (Former Employee) Barrington, IL

ProsEngineering centered workplace. High value placed on collaboration. Willingness to provide software engineers with the best tools.

ConsVery large company, can be easy to get lost in the crowd. Changing business climate leads to uncertainty.

Shocking incompetence at the top levels. Smoke and mirrors show.

Principal (Current Employee) Barrington, IL

ProsInteresting work. Get to work with healthcare institutions to improve their operations.
    Ok benefits.
    Good salary.
    Good training.
    GE name has some cache.

ConsLeadership, specifically CEO ,GMs/managing principals are half-wits. Believe they are experts in healthcare operations and consulting, however, there isn't a one with actual clinical experience.
    Position themselves to clients as "trusted advisors", but too obtuse to realize they are seen as used car salesmen.
    Botched engagements, products with no customers and no accountability at the top. Probably only a matter of time before they jettison the entire organization out of GE Healthcare, since it only generates a tiny fraction of GE Healthcare's overall revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey're only salespeople and not intelligent enough to understand, so why bother? I've already got another offer, so I'm out.

Mixed Bag

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Barrington, IL

Pros- Great pay, decent benefits
    - Huge company: there are opportunities everywhere
    - Amazing learning and growth opportunities
    - Work with a lot of smart people
    - Great potential for good work/life balance depending on which team you are on

Cons- Yearly layoffs
    - Declining benefits (medical plan is currently horrendous)
    - Expect major workloads due understaffed / very lean departments & teams, but tight deadlines. Burnout is unavoidable
    - If you're in IT, expect to be treated a lot like a contractor even if you're an employee
    - Lots and lots of meetings - expect to work 50+ hour weeks to stay on track

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach … you talk a lot about quality and simplification but you are still bent on arbitrary deadlines with a lot of unnecessary bureaucracy. It seems as if you really undervalue IT, which is a shame considering that more IT innovation and dedication could really launch this company ahead of its competitors.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Environment

Lead Software Engineer (Former Employee) Barrington, IL

ProsProcess Oriented. Very managed and Technically Challenged

ConsManagement and employees interaction should be more. HR should easy some policies

Advice to Senior ManagementTo speed up things.

Barrington is a brutal environment to be part of.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Barrington, IL

ProsYou get a pay check every other week.

ConsGood old boys network is the only advancement possability.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan beyond the next quater.

Software Edison

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Barrington, IL

ProsThe atmosphere and the team i worked on was amazing. Easy going and at the sametime very motivated to get work done. They loved their job and it showed.

ConsAt times i felt the internship program was not as organized as it could have been

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time placing interns in locations and position that they have experience in. This was not a problem for me but other interns found themselves doing things they had no experience in.

Good company to work for

Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Barrington, IL

ProsLots of opportunities to change careers within the company
    Growth is unlimited based only on your potential
    Great work-life balance

ConsNot as hungry as smaller companies or startups
    Not the most competitive salaries
    Benefits are not as they used to be but that is a general trend in all major corporations

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed a healthy mix of management. Add from more aggressive companies that have a proven track record of driving organic growth. Need more risk takers.

Great place to work once you understand the politics.

Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) Barrington, IL

ProsThere are lots of places to move around within the company if you put in the time. Direct managers truly care for your career and long-term happiness. There is a lot of work to do, you won't ever feel like you've grown out of a position - those that perform will be given more responsibilities.

ConsGE is like a bunch of mom and pop shops all doing their own thing - the only thing in common is the name. Even within the same business there are many teams doing things completely differently. It makes for confused customers and employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeaders across the businesses should be selling the same stuff - some consistency would be nice.

Neutral

Training Leader (Current Employee) Barrington, IL

ProsThere are plenty of opportunities in other GE businesses.

ConsWork-life balance is a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Overall good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Barrington, IL

ProsTalented people, diverse products, backing of larger GE, leadership development

ConsWill try to grow profitability by cutting people then wonder why they don't have new products to sell. Sub businesses within GE Healthcare compete with each other and do not have any motivation from leadership to work together on products. Business is unwilling to walk away from a bad investment once they say they are doing it(Qualibria).

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow when to say enough is enough. Do not let your business units compete with each other, it is bad for business, teams and most importantly customers. Finance 101, you can only cut your way to profitability for so long and replacing all the leadership will not solve the problem that created.

Worked for GE Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!