GE Healthcare

GE Healthcare Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

GE Healthcare President & CEO John Dineen

John Dineen

Pros
  • Great potential for good work/life balance depending on which team you are on(in 60 reviews)

• work from home like Flexibility and good growth opportunities(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • It's slightly below peer standard but a better work-life balance can be reaped as the trade-off(in 65 reviews)

• No work life balance although they bombard you with work life balance tips and information you can't apply(in 12 reviews)

its getting worst

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee) Chattanooga, TN

Prosworking from home, salary and benefits

Conscut cost cut cost cut cost and cut people

Advice to Senior Managementwe make the money not the managers, stop having more and more managers.

Reasonable employment

Product Sales Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay. Great co-workers.

Cons800 pound gorilla. Make money uber alles corporate mentality. Customer-centric talk, corporate-centric walk. Management was excellent early then weak (only guy to apply got the job). Tend to acquire products and companies that are mediocre due to intense focus on spend and quarterly, stock-holder driven results. Long term vision articulated but not evident in the trenches.

Too many unqualified middle managers jockeying for personal gain and not company success

Commercial Operations Minion (Former Employee) Wauwatosa, WI

Pros*good name recognition on resume
    *ability to learn a lot (but that's unfortunately due to being overworked and stretched very thin)
    *you can find plenty of people who don't drink the GE Kool-Aid and understand what benefit you can get out of the company, so you can commiserate with those who know this is a stepping stone to a greater opportunity.

Cons*worst work-life balance in the world. It completely depends on the role you're in whether you get worked to death or not, so if anyone tells you that you'll have good work-life balance, take that with much trepidation as it may exist in your current role, but never again if you stay more than a couple of years.

* poor benefits. used to be good (so I heard) but they have never been good in the 5+ years I was there and are inferior to even smaller companies where you should see better than smaller companies.

*horrible salary for lower level employees. take advantage of you, limiting your ability to advance when they know you're in a crappy job (as they can't fill that job later). They rely significantly on name recognition to try to get you in the door, and underpay you.

*middle managers are abundant. They are shuffled around and repeatedly placed in roles in which they do not belong (I am an attorney and had a guy with a bachelors degree in Lord knows what as my boss and also several "finance" people who had never worked with attorneys nor understand basic legal concepts. Clueless.

*different rules for different roles re: benefits. Some roles get to take "summer hours" some don't, despite all working on the commercial aspects of the company. Really builds resentment across the teams.

*very short-sighted President/CEO of the US/Canada region. He's constantly using "war" references (which is really demeaning to the efforts of military folks who actually experience true life and death situations in their jobs protecting this company's interests) to explain how to do the job of selling medical products v. competitors. He is overvalued and John Dineen would be better off without him.

*There are constant (and I truly mean constant) worries about job security as there are annual or twice-annual reductions in staffing and many times for no reason--could have a good quarter or be doing well in the current quarter, but then you find out hundreds of people just lost their jobs. Makes it very difficult to experience progress when you're having to start all over explaining things and getting someone new up to speed.

*Goals and objectives are a farce. They are only the tools of the middle-managers to advance themselves into bigger/higher paying roles and really speak nothing to the roles that the actual working population at GE do. They don't point to any advancement of the company so they need to be completely scrapped and re-done. They are done to show a fancy powerpoint slide, not to actually get to more sales, better processes, etc.

*No opportunity to advance if you're not in one of their internship programs out of college. If you are in Finance Management Program, or Commercial Leadership Program, you will not fail as that would mean they have failed in holding your hand through the company from college to retirement. They won't tell you that when you're interviewing, so it's incredibly misleading to people. Even if you are a rock star, they would let you go or promote a lesser performing FMP/CLP over you just to make themselves look good. 100% cut throat environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of underperforming middle and upper managers, try to find the right fit, rather than shuffling around "orphans" in the company who have no true marketable skills just to save their jobs.

Promote from within--do a better job trying to work with employees to genuinely help them with their job progression. Otherwise quality, high performing people will continue to leave the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Extremely Stressful and unproductive due to staff management.

Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) Aurora, OH

Proslooks good on resume for future opportunities

Consyou only want to work there three years and then leave

Advice to Senior Managementget out of the way of progress

Good to work and have many chances to adopt different managerial style

Operation (Former Employee) China Village, ME

ProsGood GE Value
    Many chances to have new challenges

ConsLittle chance to get promotion / money even you put lots of effort

Case of overpaid managers and underpaid work horses

ProsIt's a job! Great for steady-eddy workers without many aspirations.

ConsHaven't seen a raise in years. Bonuses to lower level employees cut, while management still enjoys theirs. Basically a "shut up and keep working, or look elsewhere to work" type of environment. High managers to-actual workers ratio.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of rewarding your (too) many mid-level managers, try rewarding the people that have boots on the ground, who actually earn you the money.

Manufacturer of Medical Equipment

Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsThe process and the products mostly top of the line. The set up on the production floor is very advance. Very clean work environment. Good place to learn new stuff. Got a lot of experience in lean.

ConsExtremely structured company with virtually no flexibility in what you can do. A lot of politics and you have to play the game if you want to stay employed. Big focus on outsourcing and moving production out the country. Low job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould promote people base on their performance, skills level, expertise, not based on the notion who can play politics better and who can support top management regardless the outcome.

Good to average place for a global company experience

Product Surveillance Engineer (Current Employee) Waukesha, WI

ProsGood career growth opportunities. GE is not very orthodox from career perspectives. If you are striving fro growth, this is the place. You may jump from function to function, from one business segment to other, or definitely you may go a step up the ladder.

ConsWork-life balance is a major thing to consider. You may be spending some extra hours or working from home during your vacation.

Standard of benefits have reduced over years. The health insurance that GE provides is totally messed up. You will end up paying almost everything out of your pocket with high deductibles.

Politics

Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPersonal development is good. Good to have in CV

ConsPolitics..hard to get things done.. if you are a mastermin creating Powerpoints fyou can be successful. To many managers protecting thir carer instead of performing.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle management to GM's needs to be more close to reality.

Centricity Enterprise, on it's deathbed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosmy teammates were great to work with, very supporting

Conslack of resources to deliver a good EHR product, caused a strong customer base to chose other EHR vendors

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the staff in the trenches not management who tells you what you want to hear.

Worked for GE Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!