GE Healthcare

GE Healthcare Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

GE Healthcare President & CEO John Dineen

John Dineen

Pros:
  • "Great potential for good work/life balance depending on which team you are on"
    in 51 reviews
  • "work from home like Flexibility and good growth opportunities"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "It's slightly below peer standard but a better work-life balance can be reaped as the trade-off"
    in 62 reviews
  • "No work life balance although they bombard you with work life balance tips and information you can't apply"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best in class people

Engineering (Current Employee)

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTalented, and very smart people to work with. Challenge your thought process every day. Good ability to grow your career, tons of opportunity. For the most part all voices and opinions are heard, they are looking for the best idea regardless of who it comes from.

ConsIn the end all roads seem to lead to Wisconsin, which for some it is ok, for others it is not the place they want to live.
Quarterly cost challenges are getting tough and old.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake long term plans and stick to them. Quarter to quarter cost cutting seems short sighted.

Product Regulatory Associate

Waukesha, WI

I worked at GE Healthcare

ProsExcellent visibility, on the job training, exposure, responsibilities and flexibility. Great pay for an internship.

ConsThey appear to have a lot of layoffs at the end of every year. Quality and regulatory is seen in an adversarial role with other departments at times.

Human Resources

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

ProsHuman Resources is highly valued. You're an immediate business partner and have credibility and respect like at no other company.

ConsExtremely aggressive and fast-paced. Burnout is common

The Worst Company I have Worked For

Senior Manager Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time for more than a year

ProsTraining and Leadership Development
Managers are empowered to make own decisions (As long as it doesn't impact budget)

ConsYou have to beg for everything, even after you leave the company.
I have been begging to get a copy of my W2 form for more than 2 months, they don't care, just keep saying that they will send me the document via mail, and I have not received anything....they have so many obsolete and non sense internal processes that only benefit the company but not the employees at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are also stakeholders

Maximum management and processes

Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDecent pay, but below industry standards, and you will earn every dime you make.

ConsSimplification is the buzz word and it is killing people since everything simplified is now more difficult at lower levels. Too many layers in management and always adding more-you never know who you are actually reporting to. Seems to be an atmosphere of fear-no real accountability since everyone is focused on leaving a gap to crawl through to avoid accountability. Rigor doesn't begin to describe this job. Completely unreasonable expectations with long hours and weekends required to meet the demands. Work life balance does not exist. Raises aren't even at COLA levels, insurance is more expensive, coverage is lower, bonuses are gone. Processes are increased, hours are increased, expectations are increased.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to something that works. You're burning out some of your best employees.

Mammoth company, cut throat culture

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time

ProsLots of growth opportunities to be had

ConsNo sense of job security with the cutting of bottom 10% every year

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate performance management system

Insiders and outsiders - sick culture

Senior IT (Current Employee)

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros-Decent pay

-Good dental benefits

-Looks good on resume

ConsIf you are labeled a “leader” – then you can do no wrong. Turn off your brain, engross yourself in GE-double-speak, play the executive kiss-ass game. You will be fine, regardless of competence. You will be rewarded with promotions and plumb assignments.

.. BUT if you are considered a mere “individual contributor”… then you are greatly exposed, watch-out!! If you are considered part of this GE under-class, no amount of success will help your career. You will be considered totally expendable. I saw great employees regularly laid-off, while dead-wood employees and “leaders” was rewarded….sickening.

- High profit margins have created a culture of waste, while assuming they are best-of-breed.

- Confuses “regulatory compliance” with “product quality”…. spooky

- No longer offers pensions to new employees

- Medical benefits are now only average (except dental, which is very good)

- HR is just a protector of management, nothing more, and nothing less

- Reporting issues and concerns can get you punished

- Career development is considered “your problem”… welcome to GE !!

Advice to Senior ManagementSomething is really wrong with the culture at GE Healthcare. It has gotten worse in my 10 years on the job.

At least within the IT groups, executive fiefdoms have developed and need to be dismantled. You are getting neither good value, nor good service to the business, nor high employee morale.

Lastly were you aware that involuntary demotions (“de-band-ing” in GE speak) were happening to well ranked employees? How does this fit with GE values? Do you feel this enhances employee productivity? Do you share this fact demotion actions with prospective employees?

Mixed Bag

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
Barrington, IL

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- Great pay, decent benefits
- Huge company: there are opportunities everywhere
- Amazing learning and growth opportunities
- Work with a lot of smart people
- Great potential for good work/life balance depending on which team you are on

Cons- Yearly layoffs
- Declining benefits (medical plan is currently horrendous)
- Expect major workloads due understaffed / very lean departments & teams, but tight deadlines. Burnout is unavoidable
- If you're in IT, expect to be treated a lot like a contractor even if you're an employee
- Lots and lots of meetings - expect to work 50+ hour weeks to stay on track

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach … you talk a lot about quality and simplification but you are still bent on arbitrary deadlines with a lot of unnecessary bureaucracy. It seems as if you really undervalue IT, which is a shame considering that more IT innovation and dedication could really launch this company ahead of its competitors.

Bad environment, good opporutnity

Global Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of big scope projects and networking within the entire GE family of businesses
The GE name carries weight and opens doors (both while there and after)

Cons90+ hours a week, 50% travel that wasn't disclosed up front
Was literally told to get rid of my dog because having to leave to let her out was a distraction
Total kill or be killed environment that makes "team work" impossible
Your job is your life
Kept having responsibilities piled on, regardless of resources to be successful, then blamed when managing three full-time roles was proving impossible

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can succeed without being horrible. The bad reputation of the work environment costs you candidates. Managers should be expected to manage and lead, not be detractors.

Learned a ton...some of the worst politics of any GE business.

Senior Professional Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent skills and experiences to be learned. A wealth and breadth of fields of expertise to learn (quality, engineering, learning, business operations, HR, sales, etc).

ConsToo much manager turnover, you'll be lucky to have the same manager for more than two years. Too much political favoritism, only the favorites get promoted above the glass ceiling. No accountability of senior leaders when they fail.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold EB+ leaders to the same standards you hold SPB and below employees. If they failed in one role, what makes you think they'll succeed in another?

Worked for GE Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!

GE Healthcare Videos

GE Healthcare – Why Work for Us?

Be a part of something bigger than yourself. GE Healthcare provides transformational medical technologies and services that are shaping a new age of patient care. Our broad expertise in medical imaging and information… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GE Healthcare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GE Healthcare CEO John Dineen. All 806 reviews posted anonymously by GE Healthcare employees.