GE Healthcare

1,008 Reviews
3.3
1,008 Reviews

John L. Flannery

Pros
  • Great potential for good work/life balance depending on which team you are on (in 73 reviews)

• There is no accountability, so you can basically take off or work from home at your leisure (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • At times unreal expectations from the boss makes it very difficult to manage work-life balance (in 70 reviews)

• No work life balance; said I'd travel 10-20% and it was 50-70% of my time (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Dharmacon site: excellent team, interesting science

Current Employee - R&D Manager in Lafayette, CO
    Current Employee - R&D Manager in Lafayette, CO

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The local team for the Dharmacon business is tight-knit, informal, and very, very bright. It is fun to work with these people, many of whom have built their careers here and stayed with the business through the various acquisitions and divestitures by parent companies. It is also a really top-notch place for female professionals/managers; the site has many strong female managers, and the business really appears gender-blind in its promotions. The science being done here is usually fascinating and much more hard-core than that in many other for-profit institutions.

Cons

The site has been passed through three different parent companies, with the latest change coming in early 2014, and every one of these transitions requires a lot of bureaucratic work that takes away from building the real business; these changes also make people understandably nervous.

Continue to insulate site employees as much as possible from red tape involved in becoming part of GE Healthcare. Strive to maintain professional development opportunities for all staff (including junior ones) so good, dedicated scientists remain committed to staying here.

Excellent Place

Current Employee - PSEL in Totowa, NJ
    Current Employee - PSEL in Totowa, NJ

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love Strong leadership team. Dedicated to technology and Advanced Materials. Management is focused on overall employee well being. Strong emphasis on regulatory compliance and customer satisfaction. Great place to work. I will recommend to anyone.

Cons

Not a lot of cons. Great company to work for overall. Need more companies to benchmark to GEHC standards.

Great Way to Start a Career

Former Employee - Software Intern in Barrington, IL
    Former Employee - Software Intern in Barrington, IL

I worked at GE Healthcare as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Didn't work on "intern project", interns will work on actual products. Other interns are very friendly. I was so blessed to have two great managers in a row, and I had a great team this last year. It is also the best way to get into a GE Leadership Program. In software a fair percentage of your team might work from home and your manager might invite you to do that as well sometimes. There are some teams that have amazing chemistry and are very inviting to interns.

Cons

Office was quiet. I have heard negative reviews about other managers. Depending on your project you might want to put in more than 40hours a week, but you won't be paid for the OT. I don't feel my projects really challenged my skill set. Some teams have a higher percentage of people who work from home so you might be on your own for periods of time. (On the other hand if you are considering full time, you have the ability to work from home)

Great experience overall

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They will give you interesting projects to work on when there are big NPIs or AT work.

Cons

When money is not flowing for NPI, AT, design work, job becomes extremely boring and unfulfilling.

Field Service Eng - Stressful job with not enough resources or manpower Paperwork and parts return can be overwhelming

Current Employee - Field Eng
    Current Employee - Field Eng

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very good pay and you control your own schedule. Training center facility and instructors are overall very knowledgable and helpful.

Cons

Hours are extremely long and not enough people to cover all your issues. Management pushes and grades you for your ability to sell contracts and parts. Makes it hard if your not a sales person.

Hire more skilled labor

Independent contractor

Former Employee - Contract Graphic Designer in Pewaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Contract Graphic Designer in Pewaukee, WI

I worked at GE Healthcare as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely focused workforce. Great environment to get work done. Pays well.
    I worked within the GE Community as a contractor and an employee over a period of 7 years. The company did not treat me any differently as a contractor or an employee other than the benefits and that is a strong tribute to how things get done within the departments.

Cons

Departments work and compete in a silo atmosphere. The review process is very intense and difficult for managers to move a great team forward due to limitations placed on the review process. The best advise is to document all of your work and prepare to promote your accomplishments come review time. Sometimes a large reduction of workforce is unavoidable.

Would like to see best practices shared throughout the departments.

tough environment, but learned a lot

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

learned a lot, flexible time

Cons

tough environment, over time work, no bonus

Nov 18, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Innovative, leadership and strategic focused company. You have to put your brain on everyday.

I worked at GE Healthcare

Pros

Best R&D company on the planet. Multiple layers of global resources and a strong internal account driven community.

Cons

Navigating the layers of resources internally is a daily task in order to maximize and leverage the breath of the companies network.

Simplification initiative was the best solution to stay fast paced

Nov 18, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

We appreciate your feedback.

Good experience.

I have been working at GE Healthcare

Pros

Great opportunity if you are willing to move. Great people to work with and flexible work hours.

Cons

Big company politics. Business reorganizes resources and commercial focus every six months.

Communicate better. Don't just focus career growth on the commercial teams. Remember the support teams standing behind them.

Nov 13, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback.

Overall great experience and employer

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at GE Healthcare

Pros

Quality people, great products, quality stable company

Cons

Very large company so communication sometimes an issue

Nov 18, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

Thank you for sharing your opinion.