GE Healthcare Reviews

Updated September 11, 2014
3.3

GE Healthcare President & CEO John Dineen
John Dineen

Pros
  • Great potential for good work/life balance depending on which team you are on (in 60 reviews)

• work from home like Flexibility and good growth opportunities (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • It's slightly below peer standard but a better work-life balance can be reaped as the trade-off (in 65 reviews)

• No work life balance although they bombard you with work life balance tips and information you can't apply (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, great working environment!

I worked at GE Healthcare

Pros

Great people to work with, great learning experiences, open office culture

Cons

Only as an intern, I cannot see how they are promoted, but the culture is pretty open and welcoming

More chances to mingle

If you are looking for a competitive, stuck up atmosphere, GE Healthcare is for you

Former Employee - Information Technology Leadership Program (ITLP)  in  Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Information Technology Leadership Program (ITLP) in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at GE Healthcare as an intern for less than a year

Pros

GE has some great people who are more than happy to talk with you and help you achieve personal goals, but there are also people that are just the opposite. As an intern I was paid very well, and received a relocation stipend. They planned a lot of activities for the interns that was fun.

Cons

My assignment leader and mentor really did not care about me, the project they gave me for my internship was very abstract and almost impossible for me to explain.

The atmosphere between the interns was childish and very competitive, many people where throwing people under the bus just to get ahead.

I also felt that GE Healthcare was not living up to the diversity they always talk about, I felt uncomfortable and targeted.

They would say the internship is not about you, its about the company, when in reality it was my first time in corporate america as a college intern. One employee even told me during my first week that she did not even want to meet with me because I did not have an agenda. DURING MY FIRST WEEK!

It was a terrible experience for my first time working in corporate america. The executive in charge of the interns would curse at us like we were her children, and some of the HR staff even referred to themselves as "the mother" and we as interns were "the children."

Particularly an internship should be a learning experience and not a race to see who can do the most work. The intern assignments should be something concrete that the intern can learn from and gain experience doing. Assignment leaders should not get an intern assigned to them if they cannot even handle their own work.

Growing Business

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at GE Healthcare as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Stable, mature company with good policies in place. Very good manufacturing practices in place. Clean and orderly work environment. Periodic paid lunches are nice.

Cons

Seem to be too focused on quarterly results, often ignoring methods and practices to operate consistently throughout the year in order to avoid the end of month/ quarter panics.

See cons. Get more focused on smoothing the operation to produce better results by the end of each month. The quarterly results will naturally fall in place.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good work enviroment but low pay

I have been working at GE Healthcare

Pros

The company provides a good work life balance and are accommodating to schedule needs. The benefits are excellent.

Cons

The compensation is very low and I would except better from a company that requires as much from its employees. I was salaried and I had to do a lot of overtime.

One Year Playbook.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A huge company with good benefits and public recognition of device manufacturing.

Cons

I really did not like the January playbook method. The goals for the year were planned in January and by the time plans and goals got down to the “bees” it was May/June and already behind schedule. Then busy, busy, busy, until the end of the year, followed by a quite lull until the next year’s playbook goals made it down to the “bees’.

Milk Acquisition Customers

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

invest in process, six sigma and lean; business case rigor

Cons

over time investments are minimized. loyal customers feel un-heard. lack of investment in existing customers.

customer first. it cost more to get a new client than to keep a loyal one.

Good company being run into the ground

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of growth opportunity, average pay, average benefits. Some managers are very good, and a lot of people really want to do a good job and make quality medical equipment.

Cons

leadership vision is limited by quarterly earnings. Leadership consistently makes very poor management decisions in order to make quarterly numbers, even though it may cost millions next year to make up for it. Lay offs and turn over have forced far too much work on too few remaining people, and quality has suffered dramatically as a result. Focus on shifting work overseas has cost in terms of quality and responsiveness to business needs. The only reason GE remains competitive in the Healthcare sector is because they've still got enough cash to bail themselves out of the truly terrible management they're suffering under. Culture turns leadership team over every 2-3 years, so leaders don't have to live with the consequences of their poor management practices and decision making.

There will be a quarter after this quarter, and a year after this year. Stop trashing the business to make quarterly numbers and remember your obligation to your stockholders and employees. Manage!

GE Healthcare

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

some opportunity for growth with other GE businesses.

Cons

mangers are short sighted at times

n/a

Favoritism

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant  in  Barrington, IL
    Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Barrington, IL

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary, Benefits, career advancement, etc.

Cons

Extreme favoritism, lack of internal support and leadership.

Review your Managers objectively and listen to feedback from all employees

Revolving Door

Former Employee - Material Logistics Specialist  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Material Logistics Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits
    Nice gym and hard court for sports
    Able to attract top engineers
    The facilities are modern and clean

Cons

Weak management, constantly laying off employees, poor communication, very little top down communication, good old boy environment, bullying acceptable, meetings for the sake of holding meetings, low morale

Place some emphasis on communication and values

Worked for GE Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!