GE Healthcare Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

3.3

GE Healthcare President & CEO John Dineen
John Dineen

Pros
  • Great potential for good work/life balance depending on which team you are on (in 60 reviews)

• work from home like Flexibility and good growth opportunities (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • It's slightly below peer standard but a better work-life balance can be reaped as the trade-off (in 65 reviews)

• No work life balance although they bombard you with work life balance tips and information you can't apply (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Management's lack of understanding the business

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time

Pros

Strong technical people. Retirement benefits are strong. 401k matching is strong. Much more perks are offered to upper management than what is offered to rest of organization

Cons

People developing strategy not aligned with what is real world situations. Too many people making decisions do not know how business is run or what the client wants

Pretty good company

I have been working at GE Healthcare as a contractor

Pros

Huge, possibilities are endless. The technical abilities of the folks working there is second to none.

Cons

Too huge; the right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing.

Slow down!!!

Good environment

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer Intern
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer Intern

I have been working at GE Healthcare as an intern

Pros

Pretty flexible about the way you fill your hours
    Team environment is super welcoming from most of what ive heard

Cons

As an intern not really the opportunity for overtime
    big company so sometimes its hard to grasp the overall role you play

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place knowledgeable co-workers forward thinking in terms of product line

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Wealth of knowledge, decent middle management team, flexibility most of the time, very global

Cons

long hours, quarter to quarter goals, focus on this quarter results not the long term, too much separation in groups, sometimes staff is look upon as disposable.

Personal Growth

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time

Pros

Strong support of personal development. Employees are treated fairly. Expectations are clear.

Cons

Office processes can be complex, but there is awareness and action to simplify. Acquisition of companies tends to heavily burden existing staff with onboarding and resolving legacy issues.

Fantastic place to work!

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Managers trust the employees to do their job. No micromanagement. 3 weeks PTO. Christmas parties. 401k matching. Health insurance was almost nothing.

Cons

Really big company; you can get lost in the woodwork. Training was not great. There is online training that is annoying to go through. Lots of meetings. Little time to do actual work.

Get rid of the meetings. Let us do our job instead of talking about it.

Deceptive and Unethical Management

Former Employee - Analyst, Commercial & Sales Analytics  in  Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Analyst, Commercial & Sales Analytics in Princeton, NJ

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good location. Great salad bar.

Cons

Deceptive and unethical management. Management unwilling to invest in employees and very little desire to see them succeed. Was surprisingly let go after one month at this company and only 2 weeks of doing actual work, simply because my Excel skills were rusty. Was essentially lied to by my manager. Was only given 1 week of training and was expected to do my work flawlessly. Management more interested in working against you, rather than with you.

My manager seemed like he was more interested in appeasing his superiors and less interested in wanting to see his employees succeed. Management has typical "corporation" mentality; all about what can you do for me. Manager more of a boss mentality; does not care about employees. Very bureaucratic environment.

Invest in your employees and allow ample time for your employees to mature into the position and to acclimate with operations/systems! Employment must be mutual, where there is potential to grow within the position and job responsibilities are equally challenging for the employee.

How can you manage with the perspective of wanting to see your employees fail?

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in New Orleans, LA

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, Really took care of employees after Hurricane Katrina

Cons

It's corporate structure and you're not people anymore

If you like corporate lifestyle and set rules with no lee way then this is for you.

You do the work of 5 people without reward - low pay - treats employees poorly

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of the people - used to be great place to work a few years ago but top leadership has destroyed the company

Cons

They do not care about their employees at all - you have to be plugged in 24/7 - improperly staffed - beyond lean - everyone is expected to work 5 jobs with no reward - pay is very low - company does not value it's employees

Lip service does nothing for your employees who are keeping your business running - treat us much better - understand our value - invest in proper resources rather than burning everyone out all the time doing 5 jobs at once - simplification means nothing when you just shift the burden from sales to in house and do not staff properly

GE Healthcare IT - Terrible Place to Work

Former Employee - Director, Software Engineering  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Director, Software Engineering in Boston, MA

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity to work at home
    I received top notch training when I worked at GE, especially management/leadership training. The Crotonville facility and the training offered there was amazing and such a great experience. It was interesting to interact with GE employees from other businesses.
    It is a powerful organization with good benefits
    It is nice to be part of such a well known, long term brand
    I was able to send a direct report to the Olympics
    I was able to buy appliances at a discount.

Cons

Arrogant leadership & very powerful controlling HR organization
    The focus is on the bottom line and constant need to report up to senior leadership
    Lack of focus on customers and strategic vision
    Expectation that employees should be willing to give leadership updates and participate in meetings at 9/10 pm
    GE acquired the company I worked for. That company had great culture and customer service. Once GE took over it fell to pieces and became a terrible place to work. GE brings in leaders from other GE businesses and industries that know nothing about healthcare, so the strategic direction was also completely wrong.
    Despite having and promoting a GE Women's Network, it is a farce because there is no interest in promoting women.
    Despite constantly talking about work/life balance, there is none. The expectation is to be available at all times.
    There are lay-offs every year at budget time, which is very demoralizing for the staff
    GE should not be on the list of top places to work on Working Mother magazine.
    Vacation time must be used by the end of the year or lost. If you go on maternity leave you can only use the time that you have accrued up to that point in the year. So if you go on maternity leave in January, you might get a couple of days off paid.

Hire leadership who has acumen in Healthcare IT. Screen out arrogant leaders. Start to focus on your customers and what you can do to make them happy and to provide software that will make their businesses easier to run every day.

Worked for GE Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!