GE Healthcare Reviews

Updated October 31, 2014
Updated October 31, 2014
3.3

John L. Flannery

Pros
  • Great potential for good work/life balance depending on which team you are on (in 69 reviews)

• There is no accountability, so you can basically take off or work from home at your leisure (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • At times unreal expectations from the boss makes it very difficult to manage work-life balance (in 70 reviews)

• No work life balance; said I'd travel 10-20% and it was 50-70% of my time (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Learned a Ton

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, opportunities working for a global team with a huge product portfolio. Leadership overall was strong and did recognize and take care of top talent.

Cons

Need to be thick skinned to handle the GE Edge and be prepared to work a lot of hours

Need a little more work/life balance...

Oct 3, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

Thank you for your thoughts. We are always trying to improve GE Healthcare and we appreciate your response.

Great Company to work for.

Former Employee - Lead Systems Designer in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Lead Systems Designer in Waukesha, WI

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, Great Vision , Very determined leadership, Great benefits and work life balance

Cons

some time too much process since its Healthcare so a lot of regulations to deal with

Oct 3, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

Really appreciate your feedback!

This is a bubba company take the VP to stripe club you can wreck and receive a DWI in the company car with no problem!

Current Employee - Biomed in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Biomed in Houston, TX

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

NONE to mention this company has went down hill and lies to the customer ALL the TIME!!!!

Cons

They use to have great insurance not any more. The CEO needs to get out of bed with Obama!

Change all management, the people you promote steal ideas and get promoted from this.

Application Process

I have been working at GE Healthcare

Pros

They make a big talk about being fair about hiring people

Cons

In truth the company in my opinion is discriminating against age, when was the last time they hired anyone at age 59. I applied there and have the qualification that are needed . I know it for a fact. Yet now that I am 59 they will not look at me. So much Equal Opportunity Employment.

Look at the cons and do whats right , You will get more work out of a person my age foe m8-9 years than you will of a 30 year old from todays standardItasks me if I was or am an employee , no never was

We were hired for a one-year contract and then dumped after three months.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Burlington, VT

I worked at GE Healthcare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers were alright most of the time.

Cons

No direction, no training whatsoever, no tools to do the job, and every IT drone having to deal with four or five "project managers," mostly via remote sites and phone call meetings.

Strip out about a dozen or more layers between the CEO and the lowest drone. Treat employees like they are worth more than a number on a spreadsheet.

Oct 29, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

Thank you for sharing your feedback and experience.

Decent place to work, ok benefits, growth opportunities but stymied by politics

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1) Career growth potential
    2) Gain experience quickly, typically 2-3x faster than anywhere else
    3) Deep-rooted belief in giving back, volunteerism, and community advocacy

Cons

1) Politics cloud how opportunities are distributed
    2) Unfair pay practices - low pay for some and higher for others in a seemingly haphazard way
    3) Benefits continue to dwindle, higher employee benefits cost, low annual increases (2% average) culminating in lower pay for regular employees in real terms from every angle

Focus on truly developing employees' careers, fight for their opportunities and equitable pay compared to market, eliminate politics and focus on skill-sets that you are working with employees to develop

Oct 29, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

We appreciate your feedback and sharing your experience. We continue to work on making GEHC an employer of choice.

Punishing Work Environment

Former Employee - Director in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Director in Waukesha, WI

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The brand looks fantastic on a resume. Benefits are good and pay is also good.

Cons

Brutal work environment. Turn and burn (80 hr work weeks) if things are going well and absolutely HELL when things are not. LOTS of unnecessary layers of opinions, politics, passive aggressive behavior and CYA across the org. If you are not an absolutely god at powerpoint - you will not succeed here. I have seen much of the top talent from the industry be hired in only leave this place in 12 months or less because of the negative environment.

The days of management by intimidation, telling people what to do and watching them do it, went out at the turn of the century. Paradox with what you should be teaching at Crotonville. Take a hard look at the new workplace and next generation of leaders needed or the stock will stay in the ~$30 range for the next century.

If you are looking for a competitive, stuck up atmosphere, GE Healthcare is for you

Former Employee - Information Technology Leadership Program (ITLP) in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at GE Healthcare as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

GE has some great people who are more than happy to talk with you and help you achieve personal goals, but there are also people that are just the opposite. As an intern I was paid very well, and received a relocation stipend. They planned a lot of activities for the interns that was fun.

Cons

My assignment leader and mentor really did not care about me, the project they gave me for my internship was very abstract and almost impossible for me to explain.

The atmosphere between the interns was childish and very competitive, many people where throwing people under the bus just to get ahead.

I also felt that GE Healthcare was not living up to the diversity they always talk about, I felt uncomfortable and targeted.

They would say the internship is not about you, its about the company, when in reality it was my first time in corporate america as a college intern. One employee even told me during my first week that she did not even want to meet with me because I did not have an agenda. DURING MY FIRST WEEK!

It was a terrible experience for my first time working in corporate america. The executive in charge of the interns would curse at us like we were her children, and some of the HR staff even referred to themselves as "the mother" and we as interns were "the children."

Particularly an internship should be a learning experience and not a race to see who can do the most work. The intern assignments should be something concrete that the intern can learn from and gain experience doing. Assignment leaders should not get an intern assigned to them if they cannot even handle their own work.

Growing Business

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at GE Healthcare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Stable, mature company with good policies in place. Very good manufacturing practices in place. Clean and orderly work environment. Periodic paid lunches are nice.

Cons

Seem to be too focused on quarterly results, often ignoring methods and practices to operate consistently throughout the year in order to avoid the end of month/ quarter panics.

See cons. Get more focused on smoothing the operation to produce better results by the end of each month. The quarterly results will naturally fall in place.

Good work enviroment but low pay

I have been working at GE Healthcare

Pros

The company provides a good work life balance and are accommodating to schedule needs. The benefits are excellent.

Cons

The compensation is very low and I would except better from a company that requires as much from its employees. I was salaried and I had to do a lot of overtime.