GE Healthcare

1,022 Reviews
3.4
1,022 Reviews

John L. Flannery

Pros
  • Great potential for good work/life balance depending on which team you are on (in 73 reviews)

• There is no accountability, so you can basically take off or work from home at your leisure (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • At times unreal expectations from the boss makes it very difficult to manage work-life balance (in 70 reviews)

• No work life balance; said I'd travel 10-20% and it was 50-70% of my time (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Paralysis by analysis

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a lot of potential for this company even though we avoid doing anything innovative. Results based work is appreciated here rather than just punching the clock which is nice.

Cons

It seems as though everyone is scared to think outside of the box due to previous regulatory issues.

Dec 2, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We have recently launched our new GE Beliefs (how we work together and service the customer) and one of those relates to innovation...Learn and Adapt to Win.

I learned a lot about office politics

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of focus on lean six sigma. The lean experience was great.

Cons

The salaries are okay. I find that managers leave to get a bump in salary and then come back.

Oct 29, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

Thank you for sharing your experience and feedback. We continue to work towards making GEHC an employer of choice.

GEHC Review

I have been working at GE Healthcare

Pros

Smart, driven employees with a common goal

Cons

short-term focus at the expense of long term gains

Dec 2, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

We appreciate your feedback.

Decent place to work, ok benefits, growth opportunities but stymied by politics

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1) Career growth potential
    2) Gain experience quickly, typically 2-3x faster than anywhere else
    3) Deep-rooted belief in giving back, volunteerism, and community advocacy

Cons

1) Politics cloud how opportunities are distributed
    2) Unfair pay practices - low pay for some and higher for others in a seemingly haphazard way
    3) Benefits continue to dwindle, higher employee benefits cost, low annual increases (2% average) culminating in lower pay for regular employees in real terms from every angle

Focus on truly developing employees' careers, fight for their opportunities and equitable pay compared to market, eliminate politics and focus on skill-sets that you are working with employees to develop

Oct 29, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

We appreciate your feedback and sharing your experience. We continue to work on making GEHC an employer of choice.

Application Process

I have been working at GE Healthcare

Pros

They make a big talk about being fair about hiring people

Cons

In truth the company in my opinion is discriminating against age, when was the last time they hired anyone at age 59. I applied there and have the qualification that are needed . I know it for a fact. Yet now that I am 59 they will not look at me. So much Equal Opportunity Employment.

Look at the cons and do whats right , You will get more work out of a person my age foe m8-9 years than you will of a 30 year old from todays standardItasks me if I was or am an employee , no never was

Great company, great working environment!

I worked at GE Healthcare

Pros

Great people to work with, great learning experiences, open office culture

Cons

Only as an intern, I cannot see how they are promoted, but the culture is pretty open and welcoming

More chances to mingle

We were hired for a one-year contract and then dumped after three months.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Burlington, VT

I worked at GE Healthcare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers were alright most of the time.

Cons

No direction, no training whatsoever, no tools to do the job, and every IT drone having to deal with four or five "project managers," mostly via remote sites and phone call meetings.

Strip out about a dozen or more layers between the CEO and the lowest drone. Treat employees like they are worth more than a number on a spreadsheet.

Oct 29, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

Thank you for sharing your feedback and experience.

Punishing Work Environment

Former Employee - Director in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Director in Waukesha, WI

I worked at GE Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The brand looks fantastic on a resume. Benefits are good and pay is also good.

Cons

Brutal work environment. Turn and burn (80 hr work weeks) if things are going well and absolutely HELL when things are not. LOTS of unnecessary layers of opinions, politics, passive aggressive behavior and CYA across the org. If you are not an absolutely god at powerpoint - you will not succeed here. I have seen much of the top talent from the industry be hired in only leave this place in 12 months or less because of the negative environment.

The days of management by intimidation, telling people what to do and watching them do it, went out at the turn of the century. Paradox with what you should be teaching at Crotonville. Take a hard look at the new workplace and next generation of leaders needed or the stock will stay in the ~$30 range for the next century.

Dec 2, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

Thank you for sharing your experience. Your feedback is valuable.

If you are looking for a competitive, stuck up atmosphere, GE Healthcare is for you

Former Employee - Information Technology Leadership Program (ITLP) in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at GE Healthcare as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

GE has some great people who are more than happy to talk with you and help you achieve personal goals, but there are also people that are just the opposite. As an intern I was paid very well, and received a relocation stipend. They planned a lot of activities for the interns that was fun.

Cons

My assignment leader and mentor really did not care about me, the project they gave me for my internship was very abstract and almost impossible for me to explain.

The atmosphere between the interns was childish and very competitive, many people where throwing people under the bus just to get ahead.

I also felt that GE Healthcare was not living up to the diversity they always talk about, I felt uncomfortable and targeted.

They would say the internship is not about you, its about the company, when in reality it was my first time in corporate america as a college intern. One employee even told me during my first week that she did not even want to meet with me because I did not have an agenda. DURING MY FIRST WEEK!

It was a terrible experience for my first time working in corporate america. The executive in charge of the interns would curse at us like we were her children, and some of the HR staff even referred to themselves as "the mother" and we as interns were "the children."

Particularly an internship should be a learning experience and not a race to see who can do the most work. The intern assignments should be something concrete that the intern can learn from and gain experience doing. Assignment leaders should not get an intern assigned to them if they cannot even handle their own work.

Dec 3, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

We really appreciate your feedback about your internship and continue to work towards making GEHC a great learning experience.

Good company being run into the ground

Current Employee - Program Manager in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of growth opportunity, average pay, average benefits. Some managers are very good, and a lot of people really want to do a good job and make quality medical equipment.

Cons

leadership vision is limited by quarterly earnings. Leadership consistently makes very poor management decisions in order to make quarterly numbers, even though it may cost millions next year to make up for it. Lay offs and turn over have forced far too much work on too few remaining people, and quality has suffered dramatically as a result. Focus on shifting work overseas has cost in terms of quality and responsiveness to business needs. The only reason GE remains competitive in the Healthcare sector is because they've still got enough cash to bail themselves out of the truly terrible management they're suffering under. Culture turns leadership team over every 2-3 years, so leaders don't have to live with the consequences of their poor management practices and decision making.

There will be a quarter after this quarter, and a year after this year. Stop trashing the business to make quarterly numbers and remember your obligation to your stockholders and employees. Manage!