GE Healthcare

Employer Engaged

Excellent Place

Current Employee - PSEL in Totowa, NJ
    Current Employee - PSEL in Totowa, NJ

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Love Strong leadership team. Dedicated to technology and Advanced Materials. Management is focused on overall employee well being. Strong emphasis on regulatory compliance and customer satisfaction. Great place to work. I will recommend to anyone.

Cons

Not a lot of cons. Great company to work for overall. Need more companies to benchmark to GEHC standards.

Dec 1, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate the feedback.

Dharmacon site: excellent team, interesting science

Current Employee - R&D Manager in Lafayette, CO
    Current Employee - R&D Manager in Lafayette, CO

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The local team for the Dharmacon business is tight-knit, informal, and very, very bright. It is fun to work with these people, many of whom have built their careers here and stayed with the business through the various acquisitions and divestitures by parent companies. It is also a really top-notch place for female professionals/managers; the site has many strong female managers, and the business really appears gender-blind in its promotions. The science being done here is usually fascinating and much more hard-core than that in many other for-profit institutions.

Cons

The site has been passed through three different parent companies, with the latest change coming in early 2014, and every one of these transitions requires a lot of bureaucratic work that takes away from building the real business; these changes also make people understandably nervous.

Continue to insulate site employees as much as possible from red tape involved in becoming part of GE Healthcare. Strive to maintain professional development opportunities for all staff (including junior ones) so good, dedicated scientists remain committed to staying here.

Dec 1, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Overall I am quite satisfied

Current Contractor - Technical Writer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Contractor - Technical Writer in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at GE Healthcare as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance. Helpful co workers. Friendly atmosphere. Managers understand you have a life outside the company and they do too. Good perks like generous break room, lots off different coffee and teas available for the taking. A lot of sponsored lunches with good food. Work is usually pretty fast paced at times, but never really overwhelming. Well appointed as far as equipment like PCs printers, scanners, and network very efficient.

Cons

If there is one major downside, it would be the pay. GE seems to pay their employees about 20% under the going rate compared to other companies. Also training is not uniform and in many cases is non existent. If you are the type who thrives being a self starter, you will love it here. If you need more structure, however, this is not the company for you.

Management needs to decide on their goals, policies and procedures BEFORE they initiate a project. I personally have redone the same support material three times because they couldn't decide on a format.

Dec 1, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

We appreciate hearing your thoughts as we continue to improve our processes.

Great Way to Start a Career

Former Intern - Software Intern in Barrington, IL
    Former Intern - Software Intern in Barrington, IL

I worked at GE Healthcare as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Didn't work on "intern project", interns will work on actual products. Other interns are very friendly. I was so blessed to have two great managers in a row, and I had a great team this last year. It is also the best way to get into a GE Leadership Program. In software a fair percentage of your team might work from home and your manager might invite you to do that as well sometimes. There are some teams that have amazing chemistry and are very inviting to interns.

Cons

Office was quiet. I have heard negative reviews about other managers. Depending on your project you might want to put in more than 40hours a week, but you won't be paid for the OT. I don't feel my projects really challenged my skill set. Some teams have a higher percentage of people who work from home so you might be on your own for periods of time. (On the other hand if you are considering full time, you have the ability to work from home)

Dec 1, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

We appreciate your thoughts. Thank you!

Great experience overall

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They will give you interesting projects to work on when there are big NPIs or AT work.

Cons

When money is not flowing for NPI, AT, design work, job becomes extremely boring and unfulfilling.

Dec 1, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate it.

Independent contractor

Former Contractor - Contract Graphic Designer in Pewaukee, WI
    Former Contractor - Contract Graphic Designer in Pewaukee, WI

I worked at GE Healthcare as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely focused workforce. Great environment to get work done. Pays well.
    I worked within the GE Community as a contractor and an employee over a period of 7 years. The company did not treat me any differently as a contractor or an employee other than the benefits and that is a strong tribute to how things get done within the departments.

Cons

Departments work and compete in a silo atmosphere. The review process is very intense and difficult for managers to move a great team forward due to limitations placed on the review process. The best advise is to document all of your work and prepare to promote your accomplishments come review time. Sometimes a large reduction of workforce is unavoidable.

Would like to see best practices shared throughout the departments.

Dec 1, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

Great insight. Thank you for sharing.

Field Service Eng - Stressful job with not enough resources or manpower Paperwork and parts return can be overwhelming

Current Employee - Field Eng
    Current Employee - Field Eng

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very good pay and you control your own schedule. Training center facility and instructors are overall very knowledgable and helpful.

Cons

Hours are extremely long and not enough people to cover all your issues. Management pushes and grades you for your ability to sell contracts and parts. Makes it hard if your not a sales person.

Hire more skilled labor

Dec 1, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

We appreciate your feedback as we continue to strive to make GE an employer of choice.

tough environment, but learned a lot

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

learned a lot, flexible time

Cons

tough environment, over time work, no bonus

Nov 18, 2014Recruiting Manager/Marketing Leader- US Talent Recruitment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

More talk, less action

Current Employee - Program Manager in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at GE Healthcare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great talent - highly under utilized
    Great processes - on paper
    Great training opportunities

Cons

Leaders not in for the long haul - make changes short term to make their resume look great and jump roles.
    Highly matrix - to the point of no accountability
    Poor out of box quality - focus on time to market over robustness of design

Spend less time on reviews (and PPTs), and more time on doing actual work
    Make decisions and don't suffer from analysis - paralysis
    Hire leaders who are knowledgeable about business they are leading

not disclosed

I worked at GE Healthcare

Pros

pay and benefits are great, and GE is always developing their employees

Cons

High company values, office culture varies dept./group depending on the leader. The atmosphere with many of the employees is they live their life around GE and get burned out or don't have the work life balance. High stress environment.

If applying for a job make sure your questions to the hiring manager are based on their leadership expectations.

I experienced a wide range of management - most are great leaders and lead by example. I have also worked for leaders that micro-manage their employees or question the work of an employee but have no clue of everything they have going on. Let your leadership staff lead their teams, that's what you pay them to do.