GE Healthcare

GE Healthcare Reviews in Salt Lake City, UT

Updated Jul 11, 2014

GE Healthcare President & CEO John Dineen

John Dineen

Pros
  • Great potential for good work/life balance depending on which team you are on(in 60 reviews)

• work from home like Flexibility and good growth opportunities(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • It's slightly below peer standard but a better work-life balance can be reaped as the trade-off(in 65 reviews)

• No work life balance although they bombard you with work life balance tips and information you can't apply(in 12 reviews)

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fantastic place to work!

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsManagers trust the employees to do their job. No micromanagement. 3 weeks PTO. Christmas parties. 401k matching. Health insurance was almost nothing.

ConsReally big company; you can get lost in the woodwork. Training was not great. There is online training that is annoying to go through. Lots of meetings. Little time to do actual work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the meetings. Let us do our job instead of talking about it.

Full Time Engineer

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsSkilled employees in various fields. A lot on engineering expertise.

ConsProductivity is stymied by paperwork and over complicated and cumbersome processes. Most processes are paper trails with no emphasis on digital data management. Numerous data systems that require you to re due the same information over and over.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better at managing and understanding you are the problem by not understanding your own processes.

Very stressful and demanding

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGreat career opportunities and advancement

ConsVery stressful and demanding. Advancement limited somewhat unless you worked thru entry level programs (i.e. IMLP, FMP)

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay to better match the market. Allow for better work-life balance.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Heavy-weight trying to break in

Lead Systems Designer (Former Employee) Murray, UT

ProsGE has a lot of resources to try very ambitious projects. They have lean processes and a manager training track that is top notch.

ConsThrowing money at a project is usually a way to waste lots of resources. Instead of going big, GE needs to go small and find a winner. Then grow the winner.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't give the architects so much control over the deliverable.

Giant bureaucracy with smart, talented people.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsMost of your co-workers and managers are bright and motivated. You get to work on meaningful and life saving projects with virtually unlimited resources.

ConsDon't work here as a contractor! You will be treated as a second-class citizen. Bureaucracy has retarded progress on every project I've worked on.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your contractors better! Don't lock us out of the gym or tell us we can't participate in volunteer day. The simple things go a long way to improving job satisfaction for us.

GE Healthcare OEC Division

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGE Healthcare, in general, can be a good place to work. The OEC division is very different from the rest of the company. I can understand why they are under a Consent Decree,

ConsThis office was the worst office I have ever worked in. The lack of communication between people and offices was deadly. The office management was terrible, with little to no support from those managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain direct managers better, or give them a better understanding of how to manage people with respect and positive reinforcement.

Great products, but waterfall process made it hard to innovate.

Edison Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGreat, talented people, interesting products. Really had fun working and learning so much during my internship. Felt like a real member of the team.

ConsWaterfall process hampered employee ideas, that could have had a disruptive influence in the marketplace.

Great vision, important project, terrible follow through

Lead Software Engineer (Former Employee) Murray, UT

ProsI was working on an important project to the future of healthcare IT, with a great partner. I had the best boss I have ever had. I was part of a great team.

ConsGE eventually spun off our group into a joint venture with Microsoft. That is going very poorly. The merging of the two cultures has been a failure. The leadership don't really know where they are going and we have spent the first year flailing. In yet another drastic change of direction, they laid off and/or relocated our entire office.

Great company with solid product. Questionable corporate leadership

Lead Engineer (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGreat diversity, result driven organization that helps people grow. Multiple programs to help people outside of work (exercise facilities, diversity forums, etc.)

ConsNot always a meritocracy, and the corporate leadership doesn't always make the most sense nor always communicate consistent messages.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent with messages. One week the CEO announces the company is doing great, the next there is a large reduction in force.

Great people, but too big and slow to react to market needs

Project Manager (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThey finally value Marketing, and there are opportunities to do meaningful work. You are empowered to spend money when needed and given autonomy to own your product.

ConsThere is very little on-boarding training, you kind of have to figure things out on your own.

The local people are great, but ultimately decisions are made by corporate folks looking only at a P&L.

Worked for GE Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!