GE

GE Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated Jul 14, 2014

GE Chairman & CEO Jeffrey R. Immelt

Jeffrey R. Immelt

Pros
  • Provides ample opportunity for growth in career , work -life balance is encouraged(in 123 reviews)

• Lots of opportunities to advance if you're willing to move around a lot(in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Also most of the people i know who work here don't have much work life balance(in 132 reviews)

• Can be long hours but if you are good at planning your day, you will be more than fine(in 76 reviews)

84 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working at GE

ITLP (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat work culture
    Enjoyed my project
    Great people
    The training really helped

ConsPay was a bit on the low side for my qualifications.
    The location options were fairly limited for my business.
    The relocation package was a bit on the low end.

GE Recruitment Marketing Leader responded to this review

Jul 26, 2014

We appreciate your response and review. We value this information to make GE a better place to work.

This is a good company to work for as long as you plan on putting in the extra time it takes to advance your career.

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsI have worked with some great people and there are plenty of opportunities to learn but you have to look for them.

ConsThere seems to be an overall lack of training for newer employees. Also most of the people i know who work here don't have much work life balance. It seems as though you are supposed to work extra time just to cover your workload. This over working just seems to be part of the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be better system for training new employees. Also might be a good idea to consider how overworked some of the employees are, in my opinion a less stressed employee is more productive.

Wide breadth of possible finance experience

Senior Finance Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGE invests in it's finance employees with programs such as FMP and Corporate Audit Staff. The portofolio of GE businesses across both the Capital and Industrial industries is limitless and a core set of GE finance skills enables long-term employees move among them.

ConsThe salary and benefits GE offers do not match the number of hours finance employees typically work. The company is pushing to make work easier by simplifying processes, but in such a large company, nothing is ever simple.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are not given the freedom to make decisions and be held accountable to those decisions. You continually have to go through layers and layers of approvals. If something doesn't pan out, the person on the bottom is held accountable even if leaders have approved their decision but have done nothing to help clear roadblocks.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company

AREA SALES MANAGER (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLots of support to get your work done.

ConsEasy to get trapped in specific role

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate major changes early and better

Jun 24, 2014

This is priceless feedback. Thank you for your review. We hope to build reports and learn more about how we can improve. This will help!

A good place to begin career

Process Engineer (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsDiversity growth and opportunities for overall development. Emphasis on leadership and quality. Overall a good place to work

Conshuge corporation and visibility is a concern. Some businesses do not have clear path forward.Overall a good place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall a good place to work with some improvements on training and mentor ship. train young talent and provide opportunities to diversify

Jun 9, 2014

Thank you for this feedback! We hear you loud and clear! We appreciate the pros and cons as that will always help us improve. Thank you again for this priceless information!

Invests in their employees and has great talent

Senior Sales Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGE has the resources to move mountains. The vacation time is great. Salary is very good. Internal training and career development course offerings are excellent.

ConsThe company's structure is very matrixized. It often can be cumbersome and complicated to get things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the efforts on simplification.

Jun 18, 2014

We appreciate your feedback! We always try to balance the big organization that we are with moving things forward quicker. This feedback is priceless. Thank you!

Engineer

Engineer/Technologist (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat Place, Flexible,friendly,you can learn a lot, fast paced

Consmoderate utilization of resources leading to pressure in a few departments

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Going!Utilize resources to the best.

Jun 9, 2014

Thank you for this feedback. As you know we are a large organization so it really helps to have specific feedback such as this to help us narrow in where we can improve. We continue to work on ... More

Large Company, Largely Political

Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe company is very good at allowing work-life balance, and offers great training courses. The pay is equivalent to the averages.

ConsVery complex company politics that usually hinder performance. The company politics usually cause information to be slowed and sometimes not transferred as it should be. This can be very stressful for everyone with tight deadlines that have metrics tied to your performance. This is a large company so that disconnect can be expected, but it seems to be so large that it may never be corrected.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean out the systems to have one uniform communication. Allow the employees/managers to set the metrics that best show their performance. Have dedicated facilities for high priority tasks that only the EB has access to. Realize that the cookie cutter roll-outs which the employees, IT, and interfacing parties are going to follow is not always better than what was done before.

Horrible company

Engineer/Technologist (Former Employee) Houston, TX

Pros401K, 9/80 schedule (even though my manager would not allow me to take it), vacation and personal days

ConsLack of training, no mentors for new hires. You will be fired if the manager doesn't like you. The manager would say, " you suppose to know this already", with no training what so ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up and realize you can't do it all by yourself. You don't know all of the answers.

Good exposure, but highly matrixed

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsStrong performance gets higher responsibility
    Team atmosphere - everyone is in it together
    Great annual performance evaluation process
    Good time-off benefits

ConsGood performance isn't always recognized
    Highly matrixed - too many "bosses", takes too long to get a decision made
    Sometimes you feel very stuck in our your own site, not necessarily part of such an enormous corporation

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to truly make things easier, don't just say you're going to simply but actually do it at all levels.

Worked for GE? Contribute to the Community!