GE

93 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Working at GE

Current Intern - ITLP in Houston, TX
    Current Intern - ITLP in Houston, TX

I have been working at GE as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great work culture
    Enjoyed my project
    Great people
    The training really helped

Cons

Pay was a bit on the low side for my qualifications.
    The location options were fairly limited for my business.
    The relocation package was a bit on the low end.

Jul 26, 2014Recruitment Marketing Leader

We appreciate your response and review. We value this information to make GE a better place to work.

This is a good company to work for as long as you plan on putting in the extra time it takes to advance your career.

Current Contractor - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Project Coordinator in Houston, TX

I have been working at GE as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked with some great people and there are plenty of opportunities to learn but you have to look for them.

Cons

There seems to be an overall lack of training for newer employees. Also most of the people i know who work here don't have much work life balance. It seems as though you are supposed to work extra time just to cover your workload. This over working just seems to be part of the culture.

There should be better system for training new employees. Also might be a good idea to consider how overworked some of the employees are, in my opinion a less stressed employee is more productive.

Good company

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Houston, TX

I have been working at GE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of support to get your work done.

Cons

Easy to get trapped in specific role

Communicate major changes early and better

Jun 24, 2014Strategist

This is priceless feedback. Thank you for your review. We hope to build reports and learn more about how we can improve. This will help!

Wide breadth of possible finance experience

Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at GE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

GE invests in it's finance employees with programs such as FMP and Corporate Audit Staff. The portofolio of GE businesses across both the Capital and Industrial industries is limitless and a core set of GE finance skills enables long-term employees move among them.

Cons

The salary and benefits GE offers do not match the number of hours finance employees typically work. The company is pushing to make work easier by simplifying processes, but in such a large company, nothing is ever simple.

Employees are not given the freedom to make decisions and be held accountable to those decisions. You continually have to go through layers and layers of approvals. If something doesn't pan out, the person on the bottom is held accountable even if leaders have approved their decision but have done nothing to help clear roadblocks.

Invests in their employees and has great talent

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at GE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

GE has the resources to move mountains. The vacation time is great. Salary is very good. Internal training and career development course offerings are excellent.

Cons

The company's structure is very matrixized. It often can be cumbersome and complicated to get things done.

Continue the efforts on simplification.

Jun 18, 2014Strategist

We appreciate your feedback! We always try to balance the big organization that we are with moving things forward quicker. This feedback is priceless. Thank you!

A good place to begin career

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at GE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Diversity growth and opportunities for overall development. Emphasis on leadership and quality. Overall a good place to work

Cons

huge corporation and visibility is a concern. Some businesses do not have clear path forward.Overall a good place to work

Overall a good place to work with some improvements on training and mentor ship. train young talent and provide opportunities to diversify

Jun 9, 2014Strategist

Thank you for this feedback! We hear you loud and clear! We appreciate the pros and cons as that will always help us improve. Thank you again for this priceless information!

Engineer

Current Employee - Engineer/Technologist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer/Technologist in Houston, TX

I have been working at GE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Place, Flexible,friendly,you can learn a lot, fast paced

Cons

moderate utilization of resources leading to pressure in a few departments

Great Going!Utilize resources to the best.

Jun 9, 2014Strategist

Thank you for this feedback. As you know we are a large organization so it really helps to have specific feedback such as this to help us narrow in where we can improve. We continue to work on ... More

Large Company, Largely Political

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at GE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is very good at allowing work-life balance, and offers great training courses. The pay is equivalent to the averages.

Cons

Very complex company politics that usually hinder performance. The company politics usually cause information to be slowed and sometimes not transferred as it should be. This can be very stressful for everyone with tight deadlines that have metrics tied to your performance. This is a large company so that disconnect can be expected, but it seems to be so large that it may never be corrected.

Clean out the systems to have one uniform communication. Allow the employees/managers to set the metrics that best show their performance. Have dedicated facilities for high priority tasks that only the EB has access to. Realize that the cookie cutter roll-outs which the employees, IT, and interfacing parties are going to follow is not always better than what was done before.

Good exposure, but highly matrixed

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at GE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong performance gets higher responsibility
    Team atmosphere - everyone is in it together
    Great annual performance evaluation process
    Good time-off benefits

Cons

Good performance isn't always recognized
    Highly matrixed - too many "bosses", takes too long to get a decision made
    Sometimes you feel very stuck in our your own site, not necessarily part of such an enormous corporation

Take the time to truly make things easier, don't just say you're going to simply but actually do it at all levels.

Rewarding if your willing to work for it.

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Houston, TX

I have been working at GE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of room for growth. If your willing to put forth the effort leadership typically notices and rewards you with it through promotions. The people that GE hires are on a caliber unlike any company out there. They spend the money to get better people and the DJIA is proof of that from a longevity stand point.

Cons

Although I can see how it wasn't sustainable for Jack Welch's 10% mentality, GE has grown "soft" in that they will let dead weight hang around for a little to long (industry specific of course). The management doesn't come around unless its a photo opportunity. Not a good way to "rally the troops". In my 16 months with GE I have not heard and or seen our division President visiting any place or attempting to reach out to us. Our business unit is not very big so its a shame that they don't take the time to visit those driving the actual profit. Money isn't made in cubicles, its made with the products we sell.

Visit your people. Don't let HR drive the boat....they can help navigate....maybe backup navigate. Don't drive unattainable margin increases, all you are doing is setting up mediocrity and disappointment.