GE Oil & Gas Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014

3.5

Lorenzo Simonelli

Pros
  • Good experience in terms of career development (in 6 reviews)

• Great place to learn people skills (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Management doesn't listen, no growth, and work life balance is non-existant (in 5 reviews)

• politics, inexperienced mangers, long hours, penny pinching, short term views, more concerned about the share price than anything else (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Pretty Good.

Former Employee - ITLP Intern  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - ITLP Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at GE Oil & Gas as an intern

Pros

Lots of emphasis on leadership growth, very easy to contact anyone in any of the GE businesses. I did not contact the CEO, but was able to interact quite a bit with the CIO & CTO of the company, everyone that worked there was very nice.

Cons

The pay felt low for an Oil & Gas position

Managers need development in order to become successful leaders.

Current Employee - Field Service Technician  in  Schertz, TX
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Schertz, TX

I have been working at GE Oil & Gas full-time

Pros

Great benefits and exciting growth potential. On the cutting edge of LNG production. Domestic and international travel. An excellent IT program that provides all the tools you could need whatever your role is.

Cons

Salary offered was based on "plenty" of overtime, which hasn't been the case. A lack of a structured training program for new hires. Managers are overwhelmed and don't know what tools are available to them. A recent acquisition that has plenty of growth potential, but is currently suffering.

Please sit down with your managers, mentor and train them. Your business and product are suffering, you're loosing good people. Identify the problem, develop a solution and implement.

I have been with the company for nine months.

Current Employee - Project Controller  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Controller in Houston, TX

I have been working at GE Oil & Gas full-time for less than a year

Pros

The flexibility of work hours along with great benefits allows for a work/life balance. I don't see many opportunities in my personal business line for personal and career growth. Co-workers are nice.

Cons

I feel compensation is not equal nor high across departments.

Cultivate your team members to allow for their career growth.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great growth opportunities available for those who are adaptable to change.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at GE Oil & Gas full-time for more than a year

Pros

GE is frequently recreating itself. Employees are encouraged to take risks and continue moving forward. Other benefits include Company values, professional development opportunities, global diversity, cross business technologies and a flexible schedule.

Cons

Frequent change. It is important to be adaptable and flexible. That can be a pro or con for some. GE is not a place to get "comfortable" but a place to challenge yourself.

Jul 22, 2014Recruitment Marketing Leader

We appreciate your response and review. You make some valid points about the way that GE operates today and we really appreciate that!

Great company to work for. Enviroment was friendly and laidback.

Current Employee - EID Intern  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - EID Intern in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at GE Oil & Gas as an intern for less than a year

Pros

GE is really great about hiring women engineers. Most women engineers I have ever seen at a company. Friendly coworkers many in their early to mid 20s. GE Oil and Gas also offers great rotational training programs that many other oil and gas companies do not provide.

Cons

New company in Oklahoma City still working out somethings since they are so new. Some training programs require relocation.

Managment was very friendly and welcoming. Coperate managers could be more organized a provide interns or new hires with more information regarding thier work timelines and expectations.

Jul 22, 2014Recruitment Marketing Leader

Thank you so much for your feedback. It is nice to see the efforts we are making are recognized. We appreciate the pros and cons that Glassdoor has for us and look to always improve for the future ... More

Still Learning to trust employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at GE Oil & Gas full-time for less than a year

Pros

I believe this segment of GE offers growth and opportunity. You can get out of this company what you are willing to put in. They have fitness incentives, decent salary, and tuition assistance. Plan to be here for many years.

Cons

Still have trust issues with some of the shop personnel.

Jul 22, 2014Recruitment Marketing Leader

Thank you for your review. We value the information and feedback left on Glassdoor.

great company

Current Employee - Wireline Operator  in  Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Wireline Operator in Midland, TX

I have been working at GE Oil & Gas full-time for less than a year

Pros

great work environment. family oriented. family is always first. benefits are ok. could be better.

Cons

low salary. work life balance. long hrs.

switch to hourly pay for operators. it would slow down the turnover rate.

Jul 22, 2014Recruitment Marketing Leader

We are always striving to be better at GE. We appreciate your feedback and will certainly include it in our thoughts and we continue look to improve.

Great Company, not a great team

Former Employee - Strategic Communications Intern  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Strategic Communications Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at GE Oil & Gas as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Strong, reputable organization
    compensation
    leadership (above my department)
    opportunity for development for full time employees

Cons

don't treat contractors with respect
    worked on a newly acquired organizations team and GE employees did not treat acquired companies team with decency and respect.
    communications manager did not invest in team's personal or professional growth

Observe managers and rate them based on their team's successes, professional growth and of course failures, putting pressure on them to actually interact with and manage their team.

Jul 22, 2014Recruitment Marketing Leader

We appreciate your feedback. This is a great platform to see the transparency of the efforts we are doing good in and those that we need to improve on. Thank you for the feedback and know that it ... More

“Good company to work for.”

Current Employee - QA/QC Technician  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - QA/QC Technician in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at GE Oil & Gas full-time for less than a year

Pros

GE Oil & GAS employment has been a very good to me. Management and Coworkers are very Friendly & supportive . Benefits and compensation are at the top of the industry. Good training programs for career development.

Cons

I can't think of any Cons at this time.

Jul 22, 2014Recruitment Marketing Leader

Thank you so much for your positive review. It helps to have transparent reviews and feedback to always make GE better. Thanks!

Great place to develop and gain experience, but is cut-throat

Former Employee - Lead Buyer  in  Deer Park, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Buyer in Deer Park, TX

I worked at GE Oil & Gas full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent training opportunities, commitment to diverse workplace, good place to learn & develop, service style of leadership

Cons

Too driven by data and not facts on the ground, beware of recent acquisitions (especially mgmt from legacy business), can handle older employees harshly, can be mean spirited if you choose to leave. If you ever have an issue that might give you a possible HR complaint, they'll trash you.

Get GE mgmt moved in quickly with companies that are being integrated. Treat ur older employees with more dignity, don't treat employees that leave like they're traitors. People matter, treat employees better.

Jul 22, 2014Recruitment Marketing Leader

We always look to improve and we do want to treat our employees with respect. Our employees are THE best part of our company. Thank you for your feedback as it is great to see such transparent ... More

Worked for GE Oil & Gas? Contribute to the Community!