GE Power & Water Reviews

Reset
3.5
GE Power & Water President & CEO Steve Bolze
Steve Bolze

Pros
  • There is an immense respect for work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great opportunities to move to other positions within GE (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is always a struggle (in 4 reviews)

• I have been with GE Water heading on 17 years (in 5 reviews)

1. Be part of powering the planet

Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - IT Program Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GE Power & Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is truly inspiring to know how GE Power & Water contribute to powering the planet and what we are doing to get power to people who most need it and keep power up and efficiently run for those who are already connected to the grid. The electricity grid is Earth's biggest network and we are part of it! We work for a company that expects a lot of us but that gives in return. Great benefits, strong company culture, travel, training, opportunity... If you put the effort in, a career at GE Power & Water will definitely reward you.

Cons

It can be daunting to work for such a large enterprise and the pressure to continue to deliver can feel relentless. Our size sometimes makes decisions harder or longer to arrive at than smaller companies and our risk-averse nature often means that we lose the opportunity to be nimble because of a desire for perfection - whatever that means!

Advice to Management

Encourage the philosophy of understanding what really is good enough to serve our customers well and act upon it. Be more open to change and more willing to adjust course as needed rather than plotting the perfect route at the outset.

2. Working at GE

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GE Power & Water

Pros

I am proud to work for GE because it is a meritocracy, my experience is that if you work hard you get rewarded. Your are respected as an individual, your culture, ethnicity, race, back ground etc....will not hold you back, also this culture has been embedded in the company for decades. I know that I could not have had my career growth if I was not in GE.

Cons

You have to be careful about maintaining your work life balance.

3. Amazing experience

Current Employee - Projects and Services Leader in Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Projects and Services Leader in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at GE Power & Water full-time

Pros

As a GE employee you get to work at global level every day. Travel to different countries make you realize how similar we all are. People to people connections and relationships are essential to be successful in a large company as GE. I get to work with amazing people who want to do the right thing and win for the customer and for GE. One of only few companies where you'll find third generation GE employees.

Cons

Anything big moves slow and cultural change required in the face of disruption in the industry is coming slow.

Advice to Management

More focus on innovation and agility.

5. Awesome on All Fronts

Current Employee - Quality Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Quality Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GE Power & Water

Pros

Diversity in people, cultures, industries and functions Flexibility for work/life and career options Career growth opportunity Strength of reputation and longevity

Cons

Pay raises can be lower than other local industries, which makes leaving more attractive; particularly when the economy is bad

Advice to Management

Continue your focus on growing and developing the people and in return you will continue to see incredible achievements for the company

6. Performance Engineer

I worked at GE Power & Water

Pros

Decent people to work with and benefits

Cons

At times, not treated the same as peers, over the same work performed.

Advice to Management

None

7. Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Edison Engineering Development Program in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Edison Engineering Development Program in Greenville, SC

I have been working at GE Power & Water full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A masters in engineering degree and books are paid for and we take courses with people who are in the same position. We get to rotate through 4-5 positions in two years and have 3 years to complete our masters. Able to attend multiple conferences, leadership opportunities, and internal courses that develop a better understanding of GE and the industry that we are working in.

Cons

There is a 4 year commitment after we have finished graduate school

Greatful to Work for One of the World's Great Companies

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Greenville, SC

I have been working at GE Power & Water full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working at General Electric has given me the opportunity to work on projects that matter in a great working environment. The need for reliable, cost efficient and environmentally responsible power has long been present. At GE Power and Water I get to help better meet that need. Additionally, working in the gas turbine division gives me the chance to contribute by working some of the hardest and most fascinating engineering challenges that exist. GE also offers: - Competitive compensation and benefits - World class leadership training - Flexibility - A corporate culture of integrity, safety and continual improvement

Cons

Occasionally you see efforts to "make the numbers" that lead to hitting quarterly goals, but seem unnecessary or even counter to long-term objectives. I think that's unfortunate baggage that comes from being publicly traded company. From my experience it is no worse than any large company.

9. Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at GE Power & Water (More than 8 years)

Pros

General Electric is a great company, there are lots of opportunities to learn. You can learn about all sorts of things, anything your heart desires. Great management and career development programs.

Cons

Sometimes you work lots of hours to meet business commitments.

Advice to Management

Get to know the people who work for you. Listen to what they consider to be important. Have more team build in opportunities.

10. Edison Engineering Development Program

I have been working at GE Power & Water full-time

Pros

Opportunity to rotate through 4 different positions in the business. Rotations are not very restricted and it is easy to go where you want to. Management is easy to work with and interested in advancing your career however possible. Exposure to many technical trainings. Option to complete Master's degree. Access to huge network of peers that will help your later career.

Cons

Compensation is a little below average compared to other companies, and the rigor of the program is intense for two years.

Best company I have ever worked for!!!!

Current Employee - Manager in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Manager in Greenville, SC

I have been working at GE Power & Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GE will empower you to succeed. The ideal employee will desire and seek out new challenges, ask questions, and grow from an apprentice to a master with minimal supervision. New opportunities will arise if you prove you can manage previous challenges. The management team has recognized any successes I have had at GE. I truly enjoy coming to work each day.

Cons

GE has high expectations, and you must be constantly willing to learn new things. Some people may prefer a more unchanging environment and be less adaptive to change. Personally, I enjoy this and feel like it makes me a stronger person and makes my job more interesting.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great communication concerning new products and business strategies. I appreciate being kept in the loop.

RSS Feed </> Embed