www.gepowerandwater.com

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
2.8

Steve Bolze

Pros
  • There is an immense respect for work life balance (in 4 reviews)

• GE benefits and opportunity to move to other positions within GE organization (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • I have been with GE Water heading on 17 years (in 5 reviews)

• Senior Management seem out of touch and more focused on moving up the ladder (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work hours and over all involvement with the community

Former Employee - Project Team Logistics Analyst in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Project Team Logistics Analyst in Greenville, SC

I worked at GE Power & Water full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Office Culture and office hours are great, tons of community activities.

Cons

poor communication with management and hard to find information.

great opprtunity

I have been working at GE Power & Water as a contractor

Pros

great to work wit it,

Cons

Not Applicable for this.

Not what I expected...

Former Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at GE Power & Water full-time (more than an year)

Pros

GE has an amazing amount of different opportunities in some of the biggest and most exciting industries in the world. From what I can see, there is a lot of encouragement to grow wherever you see fit.

Cons

As an Account Manager, I felt like my whole job ended up being technical without the time I needed to "work" the account for business or to better strategize the account in relation to workload. I definitely felt trapped by the workload when I was supposed to be building the business and making it more profitable.

Some good, some not as good. Overall, solid place to work.

Current Employee - Risk Management in Trevose, PA
    Current Employee - Risk Management in Trevose, PA

I have been working at GE Power & Water full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart people work here. Always someone nearby who knows something about a work challenge you are facing. GE's resources are huge.

Cons

If you're not one of the "program" people or from audit staff, climbing the ladder can be tough. Many demands put on you, with a constant squeeze on resources. No company uses the "do more with less" idea more than GE.

Share some of the wealth with all employees, not just management.

Amazing co-workers!

I worked at GE Power & Water full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The employees are top notch! People are accountable for their work and have high integrity. Also, their innovation and eye on future trends.

Cons

Long hours, little to no work life balance

Be aware of the changing workforce. The millennial generation is very different and expect work life balance.

I worked with GE for 10 years P&W 1 year

I have been working at GE Power & Water

Pros

Good salary, good culture, some perks

Cons

lay offs happen all of the time, mediocre management, hard to advance

Good company. Room for advancement.

I have been working at GE Power & Water

Pros

Smart people to work with, collaborative environment, very flexible work environment.

Cons

Pay could be much better.

"You can buy better but you can't buy more expensive... " Is how customers refer to GE.

Former Employee - Lead Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Lead Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at GE Power & Water full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Global assignments, autonomy, local management that cared.

Cons

Corporate management cared little about the customer or its employees, little to no opportunity for advancement, no financial incentive to travel yet required long travel assignments. Below industry average compensation levels. Sacrificed quality of products to increase profit margin, knowingly sold equipment that would not work in the application.

Compensate employees for the work they do, concentrate less on the bottom line and more on delivering a quality product that works in the application. Appropriately reward employees that travel extensively for the company.

If I could give it zero stars I would

I worked at GE Power & Water full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management: Good people overall, they are handed a giant pile of worthlessness and expected to make diamonds, they do the best they can. The one downside is their complete inability to hold people accountable for fear of making waves or grievances by the union.

Salaried employees: You can literally do nothing and instead of being held accountable by management, they just talk about how useless that person is but never do anything about it. By the time that person's uselessness reaches a tipping point, a new set of leadership comes in and the game starts all over again. So the benefit is, you can just coast, be a screw up and you are never in any real danger of losing your job, if you are in danger it takes a very, very long time to get rid of the person. If you give a single ounce of effort and have even the basic form of common sense, you are head and shoulders above your peers.

Union employees: You can literally screw up customer product, schedule, costs and nothing ever happens to them because they hide behind their union card. GE is supposed to have this great workforce of skill and expertise, which may have been true at one point in history, but is a far distant memory at this point. So if you want to join a labor force that can literally walk around doing nothing on the customer's time and money and then screw up their product and not be held accountable, GE P&W is the place for you.

Cons

Management: Often times completely out of touch with the reality of what occurs where the work is actually being done. Accountability is merely a talking point, there is no accountability in this business. You will see executives destroy a business and get handed a new one. If you are in the "club", you are in the "club" forever. The common theme is to see who is riding whose coat tails up the GE ladder. It's a shameless game that is played.

Salaried employees: The talent pool is on both sides of the extremes. You have great talent, and completely abysmal "Are you kidding me?" talent. They rely heavily on industry experience instead of hiring fresh, creative talent. They would rather hire the old industry experienced talent since they merely want caretakers instead of someone who wants to make things better. Either that, or they are just horrible at judging people during the hiring process. But in fairness, the salaried employees have to make the union people actually care which is a lost cause, I know I gave up trying...

Union employees: The union labor force is horrible. They are the equivalent of grown children. They make nothing but excuses for everything, never hold themselves accountable, and don't even do great work. On top of that, a lot of them are very racist and aren't afraid to be open about it. I wondered how in the world did this group have so much power over GE when they are as smart as a box of rocks. They could easily be replaced by the next person on the street. It's blatantly obvious that GE is trying to eliminate the union with all the business closure of union specific businesses so you would think this would be a clue to the union leadership that they need to shape up, but their war cry is "I don't get paid to work any faster," so I guess they believe they are irreplaceable.

None, it's a lost cause. Any business that relies on its union labor force...epic fail is in its future..

Two Good Years of Growth with and uneventful end

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager/Black Belt in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager/Black Belt in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at GE Power & Water full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Access to GE Nuclear processes and business improvement practices. Ability to talk and interact with lots of smart people

Cons

Ignorant managers who were mostly interested in their next position and self advancement. Wacked ou procurement 'professionals' who control the show.

I don't know where to start and the management keeps changing

GE Power & Water Photos

GE Water Towers (Photo thanks to Geograph user Paul Fisher, Some Rights Reserved)
work