GE Power & Water
www.gepowerandwater.com Schenectady, NY 5000+ Employees

GE Power & Water Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Steve Bolze

Very laid back environment. Good place to work.

Machine Operator (Current Employee)
    Wilmington, NC

ProsJob security and plenty of opportunities to move into different jobs.

ConsThe new payscale is not right. You work with people who make $10 an hour more than you doing the same job.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more ethnic diversity in upper management and engineering!

Eddie Dean Stewart

Cdl A Driver (Former Employee)
    Baytown, TX

ProsEverything was very good working there.

ConsLayoff, I am very sad to be out of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease Call back us from Layoff

GE Analytical Instruments

Manager (Current Employee)
    Boulder, CO

ProsGE benefits and opportunity to move to other positions within GE organization.

ConsLack of opportunities for promotions and career development, management keeps organization separate from rest of GE, negative attitudes throughout organization, lack of creativity and innovation - this group is stuck in time. GE offers excellent training for managers and employees but this group offers little opportunity for employees to attend and participate in most GE training. Poor communications from management to teams throughout organization. Little opportunities to attend conferences to improve organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage and develop skills of the employees within the organization. Start to offer and send managers to training offered by GE since it will have a positive benefit to the entire organization.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Few opportunities in a company struggling with strategy and identity.

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsBetzDearborn was a globally respected leader in innovative water chemistry solutions, research, and trusted name to customers. However, after 10 years of GE, research was offshored then shutdown, and countless people have been laid off while trying to achieve GE's required profit margins. There are still a few good people left, but too often GE managers don't understand the business well enough to be successful.

ConsThe last 2 years have been wave after wave of layoffs, retirements and job elimination. Everyone I work with (>40) are doing the jobs of multiple people, impacting work/life balance. There is no bench for talent, technical experts are a dying breed. Very few promotional opportunities for early/mid career, unless you're a female/minority (GE loves diversity metrics!) or a graduate of a GE rotation program. The end result is unqualified managers, poor leadership, no strategies, and bad culture with low trust and overworked people.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop laying off the talent, get rid of mediocre managers instead! Put strong experienced leadership team in place with passion, vision, and strategy, then align tactics to be successful. Start hiring NOW to train replacements for people who will retire in 2-5 years. Stop discrimination; promote based on ability not for sake of "diversity". Value the expertise in-house, don't rely on intracompany promotions like GE Light Bulbs / Dishwashers / Locomotives - those are different businesses!

Disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe salary at GE was competitive. The people that work there are generally smart. There really wasn't anything else to write home about.

ConsThe only thing that matters to GE is the bottom line; at times it feels as though management has no conscience. Quality control and product integrity is secondary. Personal development is reserved only for those in the leadership development program. Processes are paralyzing and attempts to improve them are futile. It was a very frustrating experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo words

Lead Engineer (Current Employee)
    Greenville, SC

ProsGym on facility; flexible hours; work from home allowed; was able to negotiate on salary; lots of learning opportunities, if one is willing to do it himself

Consvertical Growth opportunities are rare, & only limited for few (either for the leadership program or the one, who knows people higher up); Sr Management discourage movements between different dept; Very little trust/respect for senior management; lot of redundant processes; raises are below average; employee rating system does not appear to be fair;

Not what you think.

Lead Engineer (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsYou will definitely learn a lot. It's a good place to start off your career.

ConsManagement are in direct competition with each other. Too many levels of management can create disconnects between the top and lower level employees. Their timesheet mgmt. system known as Kronos is ridiculous. You have to account for every minute of your work day and they watch this like a hawk causing you to spend a significant amount of time each week working on your time sheet. Also, GE is metrics driven which causes management to pressure their employees to show a great deal of productivity even at the expense of ignoring important issues that can really help the business. Instead, employees can be left feeling like they're just fluffing their numbers to improve their productivity, sometimes by working on meaningless things. Also, their yearly evaluation known as EMS can be stressful. Even if you have been working there for 10 years, you still have to prove yourself or you can get a bad review which will then cause you to have some benefits taken away and get little or no raise. Even if you have a good year and you come out clean on your EMS, your raise will probably be a joke. You will hear this often at GE, "Visibility". This means that you have to show people how good you are and what your're working on. I will never get used to this butt-kissing culture of "visibility" and have already begun interviewing with other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementI always wanted to work for GE, I finally got my chance after working with several other companies. I can tell you that in my experience, it was better working with smaller companies that really cared and valued their employees. GE has become a revolving door where mgmt. doesn't value their employees for their worth, they focus too much on the metrics. Get rid of the metrics system and truly motivate your employees to work on significant issues. Stop saying "Get some Visibility"! This is annoying and promotes the butt-kissing culture.

Good early career

Engineer (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsExtensive Training. Smart people. Got to take leadership on projects even as a young engineer. There is no culture of "waiting your turn." There is an immense respect for work life balance.

ConsSometimes personal growth can be a little stagnant. You don't get promoted very quickly in certain company areas.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Norfolk, VA

ProsGreat group of people who work together well. As part of a large corporation, there are lots of resources, but working in a small office gave it the feel of a smaller company. There was always something challenging to work on and you were given the tools you need to do the job.

The "Fun at Work" committee was always coming up with fun activities such as movie day, Halloween office decorating contest, and others. There is also a lot of community involvement in the group; we helped clean the bay, feed the hungry and keep our road free of litter, as well as helping underprivileged kids have a merry Christmas.

ConsSome decisions were long in the making due to the higher-ups being elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to involve your team in the workings of the business and making them feel valuable.

Great company, the ship has turned

ProsGreat pay, much better commission than competitors.

ConsA ton of politics

Advice to Senior ManagementMake things simple

Worked for GE Power & Water? Contribute to the Community!

GE Power & Water – Why Work for Us?

The world’s most complex problems stem from accessibility to clean and sustainable sources of power and water. Our teams are swiftly advancing these technologies, focused on productivity and efficiency. With a full… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GE Power & Water reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GE Power & Water CEO Steve Bolze. All 77 reviews posted anonymously by GE Power & Water employees.