www.gepowerandwater.com

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
2.9

Steve Bolze

Pros
  • There is an immense respect for work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great opportunities to move to other positions within GE (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone I work with (>40) are doing the jobs of multiple people, impacting work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• I have been with GE Water heading on 17 years (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

I worked at GE Power & Water

Pros

Fun with interns. had a great time. Work was straightforward and easy. Had fun events with managers and staff. Professional presentations and trainings. Lots of free lunches

Cons

Not very challenging work for most. Some interns received great and interesting tasks, however most were stuck in the quality department.

Be direct with what department interns are being put into.

Great company to work for, expected to move every couple of years, but not the case.

I worked at GE Power & Water

Pros

Immediate supervisor was a micro-manager, but that was fine. Significant opportunity for training.

Cons

Information is on a need to know basis, which often resulted in minimizing team work.

Micro managing limits ownership to the manager, resulting in low employee ownership of work products.

Advice to new emoloyees

Current Employee - Maintenance Plumber
    Current Employee - Maintenance Plumber

I have been working at GE Power & Water

Pros

Overall, a good place to work

Cons

Upper management does not like to listen to the hourly employees

Poor Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trevose, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trevose, PA

I worked at GE Power & Water

Pros

Great opportunity to learn and do something about the world's most precious resource.

Cons

Middle management has a habit of over promising and under delivering. Some use emotional blackmail to bully and thus create a hostile work environment, even treating vendors the same way. With this behavior, good employees have left.
    Building environment is from the 70s and depressing, unless you have a windowed office.

Spend some cash to create a pleasant work environment. This could change moral and
    Conduct semi-annual 360 reviews - including vendors - on middle management to promote the best and leave the mediocre behind or looking for a new job.

Good overall experience.

Current Employee - Lead Engineer/Technologist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer/Technologist in Houston, TX

I have been working at GE Power & Water full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced work. You are expected to hit the ground running. For a young engineer that is self driven, this can be a great experience. Some nice perks like paternity leave, vacation, and a good amount of sick days. A lot great people to work with.

Cons

Constant scope changes on projects. Business case for some projects seem like they lack some crucial details. Pay and raises could be better, although it seems like it is improving.

Continue to listen to employees. Allow engineers that are working on a project to understand the business case and assumptions of the project in order to fully buy into the work. Core expertise for individuals should be considered a priority.

Mechanical Engineer Intern

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at GE Power & Water as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great experience in a manufacturing environment that allows you to both conceptualize new designs and get hands on experience.

Cons

Location is somewhat isolated down by the ship channel in Houston, so I had to commute a long distance. They do reimburse for relocation but only if you are more than 40 miles away, I was 38...

When considering interns for Edison program, consider accomplishments during internship in addition to answers from interview.

No Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Edison Engineering Development Program
    Current Employee - Edison Engineering Development Program

I have been working at GE Power & Water full-time

Pros

GE offers many different jobs and the ability to move around. You start with 2 weeks vacation and get bumped up to 3 weeks after 1 year of service. Many of their internal training and development programs look really good on paper.

Cons

The down side is that the workload is too high to be able to utilize or enjoy the vacation you do get. Also found that the "top tier training" they provide is just a fancy way of saying you're going to work 80 hours per week for free. For about 2 years I was apart of the Edison Engineering Development Program and had one of those "light at the end of the tunnel". I pushed through the 80 hour weeks for 2 years straight only to find that the light I was working towards was just a train about to run me over... Workload has no decreased and I don't plan to work 13 hours per day, 6 days per week for the rest of my life. Also the salary is significantly less than competitors. They argue its because they provide you value through "training" although I found it to be rather poor training.

Managements current mind set is, "why hire more workers when we can make the workers we already have just work more for free..." In order to retain top talent they need to compensate their employees better. If we are under paid to begin with on a 40 hour per week salary, when our jobs require 60-90 hours of work per week with no extra compensation it is very hard to justify staying. Or if salary increases aren't possible (based on company culture I already know this isn't possible) management should at least strive to create a better work/life balance for employees and not rely upon "guilt tripping" employees into staying with the company.

TECI contract company in Greenville

Former Employee - Greenville in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Greenville in Greenville, SC

I worked at GE Power & Water

Pros

The guys that work for TECI not management are a great family.

Cons

The head people that work in the office are not good leaders.

In Greenville they may have looked good going in but there are not good things for the people that work for them.

GE is great!

I have been working at GE Power & Water full-time

Pros

No micro management. they allow you to actually work

Cons

None that I am aware of

Great work hours and over all involvement with the community

Former Employee - Project Team Logistics Analyst in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Project Team Logistics Analyst in Greenville, SC

I worked at GE Power & Water full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Office Culture and office hours are great, tons of community activities.

Cons

poor communication with management and hard to find information.

GE Power & Water Photos

GE Water Towers (Photo thanks to Geograph user Paul Fisher, Some Rights Reserved)
work