GE

2,550 Reviews

GE Chairman & CEO Jeffrey R. Immelt
Jeffrey R. Immelt
1,027 Ratings

Pros
  • Provides ample opportunity for growth in career , work -life balance is encouraged (in 135 reviews)

• Lots of opportunity to grow your career and continue to take on new challenges (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Also most of the people i know who work here don't have much work life balance (in 144 reviews)

• Can be long hours but if you are good at planning your day, you will be more than fine (in 83 reviews)

More Highlights

Why wouldnt you want to WORK here?

I worked at GE

Pros

Working with a thinking moving company with a lot of room to grow. Pay and beenfits are very competitive for engineers. Safety is priority one on manufacturing and other activies. Owns and develops technology, even has an (albeit small) R&D department.

Cons

You can expect to work long hours and it can be a challenging work environment. The training runs by quick so be sure to take mental and physical notes as soon as you start.

Newly acquired by GE however so far so good.

Current Employee - Plant Operations  in  Odessa, TX
    Current Employee - Plant Operations in Odessa, TX

I have been working at GE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, courses offered for professional growth/management

Cons

I.T. is a huge pain.

A great place for professional development and appreciate that they are such a meritocracy.

I worked at GE

Pros

Meritocracy - if you prove you perform, they will give you amazing opportunities.
    Professional development - they provide feedback and continuous development - they are really invested in improving talent.

Cons

It can be very difficult to switch function.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a great company that hires brilliant people.

Current Employee - Corporate Audit Staff  in  Fairfield, CT
    Current Employee - Corporate Audit Staff in Fairfield, CT

I have been working at GE full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pros are the people, the diversity, and the challenging work.

Cons

The cons are sometimes the locations of GE offices aren't in big cities.

Great people

I worked at GE

Pros

Good name recognition, competitive pay

Cons

Locations tend to be remote

A lot o real responsibility as a young professional

Current Employee - OMLP
    Current Employee - OMLP

I have been working at GE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance.
    A lot of training and development

Cons

A lot of beaurocracy. Lack of definition within role.

Good company that loves to reorganize itself frequently.

Current Employee - Services Director
    Current Employee - Services Director

I have been working at GE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

GE acquired the company I previously worked for, so there was an adjustment period. The insurance benefits have changed some, and I think are basically average - which is to say better than some companies, worse than some others. But there are other good benefits - like a pension, plenty of Sick, Vacation, Personal and paid vacation time, and flexibility when needed - at least in the GE business where I am.

Cons

GE loves to reorganize - It has been 8 years since the acquisition and I have seen 5 reorgs in my business. Reorgs are unsettling for staff, and every time a new leader is introduced, they reorg us to their liking. There has also always been a sense that senior leadership is disconnected and really doesn't even know what they are reorging. Leaders move around from GE business to GE business every few years. Also, it is difficult to move up in the company past a certain point. It seems you have to start out of college in one of the programs, and/or join the Corporate Audit staff, to gain the visibility needed to move up. That can be frustrating for people who joined from an acquisition, and who bought into the GE culture and message very early on. The other thing which tends to add to staff morale issues is how frequently we are pushed to do more with less. Teams are combined and peoples jobs are more than doubled, with no salary increases, meager merit increases, and little acknowledgement. It's demotivating.

Employee engagement and recognition is huge. It's not enough to get on an All-Hands call and tell everyone thanks. And it's worse to get on an All-Hands call and repeatedly praise the same people, frequently sales people, without praising or recognizing the staff that actually keeps your day to day business running. Of course new sales are to be commended, but the work that staff does every day to keep current customer happy and loyal is just as important. The sales cycle can be very long - so repeat revenue from existing customers is also very important. Also, compensate your staff. And when there is a huge disparity between peers, make a salary adjustment to get people's salaries in line. When someone stays with a company for a long time they are often paid less than someone new being hired into the position. What does it say to people who have had loyalty and dedication to a company when a peer leaves the company and comes back 2 years later making much more. It is demotivating and says that GE does not value its tenured staff.

as an intern, learned a lot

I have been working at GE as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- learned a lot from the people i interned with
    - good exposure to different departments
    - good thing on resume
    - clear growth patterns

Cons

- staff don't seem happy here
    - staff don't have a clear mission as to why they work here

- address culture issues so staff are happier

Great Place

Current Employee - Sourcing Program Leader  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sourcing Program Leader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GE full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

GE is a great place to work and you will be surrounded by many peers who are among the elite A-type personality performers. There are tons of opportunities within GE and with it being such a worldy company, the opportunities afforded are almost limitless.

Cons

The culture can be a very "sink or swim" mentality, so coming in from the outside can be tough as there is not much guidance or instruction given. They expect you to figure it out. Also, in order to really move up in one's career path, you really need to be open to moving around in terms of location in order to open up your available opportunities.

Awesome company!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at GE full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love the culture! Energetic! Appreciative of their employees....great benefit package.

Cons

Wish I started with them fresh out of college!

Worked for GE? Contribute to the Community!