GE

3.7
2,490 Reviews

GE Chairman & CEO Jeffrey R. Immelt
Jeffrey R. Immelt

Pros
  • Provides ample opportunity for growth in career , work -life balance is encouraged (in 123 reviews)

• Lots of opportunities to advance if you're willing to move around a lot (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Also most of the people i know who work here don't have much work life balance (in 132 reviews)

• Can be long hours but if you are good at planning your day, you will be more than fine (in 76 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience, slightly below average pay

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager

I have been working at GE full-time

Pros

You can't beat the leadership skills and breadth of experience you can acquire at GE. In a huge, successful, global company like GE, you can get the experience in 1 job that could take you 4-5 jobs elsewhere.

Cons

Change is a constant. While positive change is good, the changes are often wasted energy as a result of constant organizational movements and new leaders marking their territory or making their presence felt.

We need to place a higher premium on the leadership traits that make employees want to rally behind our leaders. I see too many people getting promoted who play good politics and align themselves with the right sponsor, but they often aren't the people you want want to work with or for.

An Entire Career in one place

Current Employee - Engineering Manager
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager

I have been working at GE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you like to challenge yourself working on fascinating problems that matter, this is the place for you. GE is loaded with some of the best and brightest minds in the world. Here you can champion an idea and take it all the way to market if you wish, or become a world expert in the area of your choosing. Be prepared to work hard, this is an aggressive "type A" workplace, and you will reap the benefits if you can hang with the pack.

Cons

The culture can be a bit conceded and entitled (We are GE, look how great we are, people love us for our name). With all the great things, GE is a large company and weighs "risk" very seriously; this can make the company feel slow and bureaucratic, but if you understand the machine you are working in, the behavior makes sense.

Keep up the good work, you don't stay one of America's top companies for decades without knowing what you are doing. The corporate education programs are the best I have ever seen... Keep making them available to all employees. Lastly, remember who you are, make sure the corporate strategies work for the market you are in by listening to the experts in those businesses.

Great Place

Current Employee - Sourcing Program Leader  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sourcing Program Leader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GE full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

GE is a great place to work and you will be surrounded by many peers who are among the elite A-type personality performers. There are tons of opportunities within GE and with it being such a worldy company, the opportunities afforded are almost limitless.

Cons

The culture can be a very "sink or swim" mentality, so coming in from the outside can be tough as there is not much guidance or instruction given. They expect you to figure it out. Also, in order to really move up in one's career path, you really need to be open to moving around in terms of location in order to open up your available opportunities.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opportunity to grow your career

Current Employee - Director of Software Engineering  in  San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Software Engineering in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at GE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to learn and grow your career. GE is a Fortune 6 company and builds infrastructures of the world. You will be working on really interesting problems in the industrial space. You will meet the best and the brightest. You will be given the support you will need to succeed.

Cons

Has over 300,000 employees and it feel like it. There is a large amount of bureaucracy. Almost 50% of your work time is spent working thru GE processes.

Work more like a start up. Take chances. Thin out rigor and internal processes which are "thick and heavy".

Coating operator

Current Employee - Coating Operator  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Coating Operator in Houston, TX

I have been working at GE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great job, excellent pay and benefits, happy work environment.

Cons

closed the shop moved it to Brazil

Great group of people to work with

Great Company

Former Employee - Lead Project Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at GE full-time for more than a year

Pros

great for company values and culture. a unique place for professional development and growth

Cons

Long working hours, but tipically flexible

Tried but lost

Current Employee - Lead Design Engineer  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Lead Design Engineer in Louisville, KY

I have been working at GE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

GE level benefits and payment
    Proud employee

Cons

Lost know-hows of manufacturing and technology
    Losing in competition

Admit the capability

Solid Place to Work!

Current Employee - Seniot Counsel  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Seniot Counsel in Chicago, IL

I have been working at GE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is decent and hours are great.

Cons

Not a job that requires too much imagination!

A company that makes you feel proud.

I have been working at GE

Pros

GE is a company that is on the leading edge of technology and innovation. Every day I worked at GE I felt proud that I was working for a company that developed class-leading technology to address global needs around the world. You truly feel like you are making a difference in the world around you.

GE is also great advocate for flex-work arrangements. Although the hours are often long, and travel is sometimes extensive (depending on your role), it was comforting to know that I could adjust my work location to accomodate my family needs.

Cons

As a publically traded company, GE is often forced to respond too quickly to the reactions of Wall Street. In my time at GE I have seen wave after wave of layoffs of some very valuable and experienced people just so that the business could report better numbers for the year. The result is that those remaining face a dramatic increase in workload with no decrease in expectations. Then when the market turns, as it always does, there is not enough staff to support the growth.

In a perfect world, it would be great if GE could set more realistic expectations with Wall Street. Since we know that is impossible in today's economy, it would be recieved well by the employees if GE demonstrated a little more loyalty and support to their employees. Award positive behaviour more rigourously, better communicate if changes are coming, do a better job of giving employees opportunities for advancement.

IT Intern

Former Employee - IT Intern  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at GE as an intern for less than a year

Pros

GE provided me with challenging, meaningful work in which I could take initiative, develop myself, and gain exposure. Good emphasis on work life balance. GE Aviation totally dominates the industry and has a very healthy outlook.

Cons

As an intern, i could think of no cons, comparitive to what other companies would be providing me. The only con i could think of is that pay is not meritocratic for the intern program I was in (everyone was paid the same amount (unlike Facebook) in the intern program- but that is pretty standard industry wide)

Worked for GE? Contribute to the Community!