GE

3.6 1,771 reviews

GE Chairman & CEO Jeffrey R. Immelt

Jeffrey R. Immelt

1,771 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Great Work/ life Balance and above market perks and benefits in a global company"
    in 86 reviews
  • "Lots of opportunities to advance if you're willing to move around a lot"
    in 39 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-Life Balance can be challenging if you choose to climb the corporate ladder"
    in 101 reviews
  • "Can be long hours but if you are good at planning your day, you will be more than fine"
    in 63 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Where Leaders are created

Lean Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at GE full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat place to develop skills

ConsA lot of red tape

Advice to Senior Managementlean out the dead wood!

Stable Job

I have been working at GE

ProsStable job. Good pay. Good balance

Constoo many projects on the plates

Great til it was taken away from me

I have been working at GE

ProsWas a great place to work

ConsUpper management was tough

Advice to Senior ManagementMore training

Operations Director

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at GE full-time

ProsGE is a great organization! A company with great reputation and integrity!
The meritocracy here is real and all the leaders take it in consideration for promotions and recognition.
We also have a great portfolio of products that add value to our clients and community!

ConsHigh level positions are filled with expats. International career outside the region became a challenge.
The local executives have no empowerment and the position is not so porwefull than in the past (lack of empowerment, poor trainings and limited opportunties).

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company should be more care more with their executives!

First satisfying job post-Navy.

Field Service Engineer (Current Employee)
Mobile, AL

I have been working at GE full-time for more than a year

Pros-Competitive pay
-Excellent benefits
-Overtime
-Annual pay raise considerations

Cons-A lot of travel
-Emergent tasking

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great learning environment

Process Engineer (Current Employee)
Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE full-time for more than a year

ProsMultiple options for career advancement. I literally felt as though I could be anything I wanted to be in the company. They have a great training program and with the abundance of opportunities within the company, you are sure to find positions that fit your wants or tailor a path to your needs.

ConsThere are very many smart people that work here and you have to be willing to deal with the egos that come with this.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

System Engineer/Program manager for Smart Grid initiatives

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at GE full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFast pace, access to lots of technologies

Conslarge company, highly political, no established process for Software or technology career paths

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a network with actual worker bees

Great overall company

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at GE full-time for more than a year

ProsStrong company with a great focus. A lot of innovation and they treat their employees with a lot of integrity

ConsCan be long hours but if you are good at planning your day, you will be more than fine. Overall I can't say too much here

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course, you are doing a great job.

Hard working, Intelligent people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at GE as an intern for more than a year

ProsWorked as an intern an had the opportunity to work across many teams. This cross functionality allowed me to grow as a young professional and improved my skills in various areas. Many employees work hard and are willing to help out.

ConsSome of the employees have been there since High School and lack outside knowledge of business. They are stuck in their ways and can only see one way of completing a task. Can become tedious,

Very Social Culture, Poorly Organized

Sourcing Leader (Current Employee)
Schenectady, NY

I have been working at GE full-time for more than a year

ProsSmart people, full of overachievers - can be cut-throat.Doing a good job is not enough. Someone else will take credit if you dont. Culture is always changing. Trying to streamline.
Lots of growth opportunities, you are expected to move up every two years. Great opps for women and minorities. Lots of public services also. People are very responsive and expect you to be as well. Pay is low for country but high for the depressed area. People are very friendly, almost family like, once you are in and they know you're name.

ConsWork with union can be frustrating. Expect long hours and little to no appreciation. Lots of bureaucracy. IT is very behind and networks are slow and it takes forever to do simple tasks. Too many meaningless Reorgs with too many levels of high paid managers and no one to do the actual work. Busy work can be redundant and a bit ridiculous at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop Down Leadership is Needed. Vic Abate is doing this and was very needed. (Keep up the good work). Union needs to go if GE wants to stay competitive in long term. Lower level managers are given way too much power and take advantage of it without being properly training in people and leadership skills. HR needs more transparency and more support for employees. Also - invest in IT and find ways to recognize your people at all levels - positive feedback and regular recognition would go a long way. Better more relevant training is very needed, especially for the plethora of it programs that dont interact and one must use.

Worked for GE? Contribute to the Community!

GE Videos

GE – Why Work for Us?

At GE, we are builders. It goes beyond businesses, brands and infrastructure. With four businesses and operations in over 160 countries, GE employees have an unparalleled foundation on which to build their careers… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GE reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GE CEO Jeffrey R. Immelt . All 1,771 reviews posted anonymously by GE employees.