GE Reviews

2,960 Reviews
GE Chairman & CEO Jeffrey R. Immelt
Jeffrey R. Immelt
1,208 Ratings

Pros
  • Provides ample opportunity for growth in career , work -life balance is encouraged (in 142 reviews)

• Lots of opportunities to advance if you're willing to move around a lot (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Also most of the people i know who work here don't have much work life balance (in 152 reviews)

• Can be long hours but if you are good at planning your day, you will be more than fine (in 87 reviews)

1. GE is a good place to work with lots of opportunity and good benefits

Current Employee - Maintenance in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Louisville, KY

I have been working at GE full-time (less than a year)

Pros

good work environment, benefits and pay

Cons

Unsure of future with sale to Electrolux

Planner/Buyer

I worked at GE

Pros

GE has great benefits and there is so much opportunity to advance or relocate. You have access to so many difference culture's and meet people.

Cons

The management where I worked had no clue how to manage and it was family oriented. Only family or people who are in the "click" got promoted amd received decent raises.

Make sure the people who are being promoted are qualified for the job. Have a standard position description allowing fewer modifications so jobs cannot be modified to fit a certain individual just be they are friends or family.

Great Company for Leadership

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at GE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Highly Competitive and results oriented. Company trying to focus on innovation and new HR approaches for performance evaluation.

Cons

Have to be on top of your trade all the time. You go down on ratings if you even take a bit of a breather

5. Good financial development opportunities

Current Employee - Operations Finance Leader
    Current Employee - Operations Finance Leader

I have been working at GE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Keen focus on development of employees, fast paced work environment, financial focus to management

Cons

Long hours, many layers of management and reporting due to the dual Corporate & Business structure, may require relocation in order to advance

In poor business environments, GE seems very quick to cut any benefits - no raises, low bonuses, no internal travel. While some of this is necessary, the inequalities between P&Ls (even within the same Tier 1) may be very demotivating

6. Great Company

Former Intern - Intern in Detroit, MI
    Former Intern - Intern in Detroit, MI

I worked at GE as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very smart people, great work

Cons

There are no cons for this employer

7. Best company for the starting engineers. Good work environment.

Former Intern - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at GE as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, young engineers and lots of leadership roles.

Cons

Long work hours sometimes depending on the industry

Pay should be competitive

GE Response

Mar 26, 2015Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your response. We appreciate platforms like Glassdoor to help us make GE better.

8. I Look forward to working with this company again.

I have been working at GE

Pros

Great company (people) to work for.

Cons

Travel away from home to work with them.

9. Quality Engineer

I have been working at GE

Pros

Very large company with many opportunities

Cons

Can easily get lost in this huge company.

Challenging, but great place to work

Current Employee - Buyer in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - Buyer in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at GE

Pros

You will be pushed to be better than even you could have expected yourself to be. I am constantly challenged and surrounded by incredibly intelligent people which helps motivate me to win.

Cons

They will beat you up and put a drain on your life if you let them. Your goals are often set high to inspire you to achieve more, but sometimes are ultimately tough to reach.

In my experience GE seemed to try to run before it could walk on certain things. In my role in particular we would tackle a project without the proper infrastructure in place to efficiently tackle it and deliverables were often set high. My suggestion would be to recognize that delivering and developing are different and must be done individually. Don't ask me to eat an elephant without atleast giving me a fork.

GE Response

Thank you for your transparent feedback! We appreciate your response and will certainly include your feedback and advice in looking at ways to improve our company. Thanks!

11. Great summer internship experience

Former Intern - EID Intern in Billerica, MA
    Former Intern - EID Intern in Billerica, MA

I worked at GE as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of solid experience in product design and development and collaboration with engineering teams throughout the company. Culture is relaxed and friendly, definitely good work/life balance. Younger employees and managers spent a lot of time with the interns/co-ops and we definitely felt welcome and valued. Networking and future career opportunities were excellent. Managers were approachable and helpful with all areas of work and especially with career advice at GE. Office/manufacturing space is beautiful and in a great location outside Boston.

Cons

The work isn't very challenging, but it is difficult to get needed info and resources from other employees and branches of the company as an intern. Did not get many meaningful experiences in labs despite goals laid out at beginning of internship. Most work was done with CAD software.

Don't be afraid to expect more of interns. I feel like managers were hesitant to give us too much work or responsibility. Most interns will value challenges and high expectations in the future.

GE Response

Thank you for your feedback on this site. We know we always have room for improvement at GE. Transparent reviews and feedback like this will help us to continue to improve. We appreciate your pros ... More