GE

2,521 Reviews

GE Chairman & CEO Jeffrey R. Immelt
Jeffrey R. Immelt
1,007 Ratings

Pros
  • Provides ample opportunity for growth in career , work -life balance is encouraged (in 123 reviews)

• Lots of opportunities to advance if you're willing to move around a lot (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Also most of the people i know who work here don't have much work life balance (in 132 reviews)

• Can be long hours but if you are good at planning your day, you will be more than fine (in 76 reviews)

More Highlights

fair

Former Employee - Planner  in  Schenectady, NY
    Former Employee - Planner in Schenectady, NY

I worked at GE full-time for more than a year

Pros

very laid back company. as long as you are working and productive you don't have to worry about harsh working conditions or ridiculous hours

Cons

the pay is not that great. yes you can stay home on a Friday and not put it in but at the end of the day the pay is very low.

One horrible place to work

Current Employee - Lead Engineer/Technologist  in  Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer/Technologist in Fremont, CA

I have been working at GE full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Only good thing which I can think of is employees are pushed very hard so they learn a whole lot more

Cons

Not a great company to work. Tons and tons and tons of bureaucracy. Literally we had meetings for meetings for meeting.

I have given the management several inputs earlier and it all went to garbage. So I dont think its necessary

GE Appliances

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Louisville, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in Louisville, NY

I have been working at GE full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are above average performers

Cons

Appliance business is terrible. No way to survive

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was a CNC lathe operator 3rd shift. I did benching and ran the tumble area

Former Employee - CNC Lathe Operator, Tumbler, Bencher  in  Rutland, VT
    Former Employee - CNC Lathe Operator, Tumbler, Bencher in Rutland, VT

I worked at GE as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I liked the opportunity to feel like I was helping my country with the machine parts that we made for the military. Also for the financial stability that is offered there

Cons

I worked for a temp agency and I feel that someone had it out for me, I was a hard worker and they listen to rumors instead of looking at job performance and how I worked on the job. I got along with everyone I worked with and did above what was expected with overtime when I worked second shift.

I feel that if you don't have pull you don't get into GE, which is not fair. I feel that people put there personal instead of who can get the job done and who would make a great asset to the team. I had excellent reviews from my supervisors but both times I could not get hired. I heard if someone on your assessment team as it in for you, you don't get hired.

HR will make or break you

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at GE full-time

Pros

Good company with plenty of opportunity for advancement and movement. Benefits plans have decreased dramatically in recent years, which is a big negative. If you are already with the company a number of years you feel stuck to see it through to retirement, but if you don't have many years in or were hired in after the big changes to benefits and pension then it's a good company to have on your resume and move on.

Cons

HR is very powerful within GE. You need to be very careful not to make an enemy of someone in HR because they can make life miserable for you.
    No real training opportunities and management is unable to hold people accountable especially in the union environments.

HR and Legal need to get a back bone and start holding people accountable, especially in the union environments.

Dysfunction and disorganization

Current Employee - Operations Leader  in  Fairfield, CT
    Current Employee - Operations Leader in Fairfield, CT

I have been working at GE full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pro's of working at GE are getting GE on your resume because it has such wide recognition. The salary is just ok and raises are low but it's comparable to most companies.

Cons

GE tries so hard to be more efficient they don't stop to ensure if the projects they are doing make sense. Leadership and employee work ethic varies greatly in that some people are loaded up with work while others are not. Leadership is self serve and middle management is the dumping ground for all things from the bottom up and the top down. If you are a worker you will have zero life balance and you'll get maybe a .5 or 1% more raise than your co worker who did the bare minimum.

GE is a self serve culture and does not foster collaboration among peers. HR does not engage with staff and there is no talent management. The employees that stay there are the long term ones that got a pension and are no longer productive contributors. There is nothing to keep the bright, hardworking and high potential employee there so after 3 years more of that talent leaves.

Ge sale of App. Division

Current Employee - Maintenance  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Maintenance in Louisville, KY

I have been working at GE full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good pay and benefits, 401k match

Cons

sale of divison to electrrolux

Treat all employees the same.

Fair

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at GE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall the company was good to employees. They treated everyone equal which was nice. Perks were pretty good like 401k but health insurance was high.

Cons

Cons were that the pay was a little below the average for the area. Huge company so it was pretty easy to get lost when you come in at an entry level employee

Promotions were few and far between.

Great company to work , provide unique training opportunities

I worked at GE full-time

Pros

Constant learning opportunities, to upgrade your skillsets

Cons

You have always have to be on your toes

OK experience

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Irvine, CA

I worked at GE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people and products produced

Cons

Complex organization, lots of reports

Spend more time with individuals

Worked for GE? Contribute to the Community!