GE

Updated January 22, 2015
2.2

GE Chairman & CEO Jeffrey R. Immelt
Jeffrey R. Immelt

Pros
  • Provides ample opportunity for growth in career , work -life balance is encouraged (in 142 reviews)

• Lots of opportunities to advance if you're willing to move around a lot (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Also most of the people i know who work here don't have much work life balance (in 152 reviews)

• Can be long hours but if you are good at planning your day, you will be more than fine (in 87 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Valuable experience

Former Intern - Power Systems and Project Management in Rugby, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Power Systems and Project Management in Rugby, England (UK)

I worked at GE as an intern

Pros

Exciting project that are based around the world. Good training and introduction to the company and its core values. A lot of site tours visiting GE infrastructure and understanding the supply chain.

Cons

Pay wasnt great, but was an intern so wasnt expecting much. Organization of work was sometimes not done properly. Introduction was slow, laptops, access cards, and emails all took 2 weeks to come into place.

Management very friendly but often busy, so any issues were regularly diverted to other members of staff.

Disillusioned

Current Employee - Service Manager in Rugby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Rugby, England (UK)

I have been working at GE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable compensation package, co-workers genuinely try to support one another and the tea trolley.

Cons

Far too much focus on meeting monthly and quarterly financial targets. The fear of failing, despite not having the resources to do the job properly. Horrible office environment.

Need to focus on employee engagement and future strategy.

No Development , Lack of Professionalism, Too many Managers and Not Many Engineers

Current Employee - Power Engineer Naval in Rugby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Power Engineer Naval in Rugby, England (UK)

I have been working at GE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

To have GE on your CV if you are a young engineer, an dto get some travelling of you are lucky and your manager doesnt get it first!

Cons

No Development Plan for young Engineers, Lack of Professionalism from your Line Managers, No Development and No Good pay . Stay in GE for a year not more, its very unpleasant and unprofessional environment to progress as a young engineer! Never Again!

My line manager blocked my transfer to other departments 6 times! The HR does nt do absolutely anything! There is no grievelance procedure.
    I have applied to transfer to other department within GE 6 times and my manager blocked me even though I had very good reason. I got involved the HR, line managers, Obdusman, Union in order to be able to transfer to another department to develop and my managers and HR blocked me 6 times!After that , my manager made my life so miserable! calling on the phone other managers while I was sitting net to him to let them know that I suck as an engineer! He gave me no job to do! He ignored me ! And he made me want to leave!

"OK" Company but very bureaucratic and chaotic

Current Employee - Engineer in Rugby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Rugby, England (UK)

I have been working at GE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Exceptional benefits such as pension, shares scheme, insurance, health incentives...
    Challenging work.

Cons

Significantly below market salary and extremely low salary increment.
    You can climb fast if you are in managerial or executive role.
    Managers and leaders move every year or two, hence there is no ownership of actions.
    Need to change post every year or two if you want promotion.
    On a cost-saving rampage but wasting cost at obvious places.
    Unrealistic project planning and expectation.
    Incongruent actions relative to what are saying from the top management.
    Any process are heavily bureaucratic and full of red tapes.

Good experiance with the company; Good experiance with the company;

Current Employee - Expert in Rugby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Expert in Rugby, England (UK)

I have been working at GE full-time (more than a year)

Pros

technically challenging; Good experiance with the company;Good experiance with the company;

Cons

no job security'no job security;no job security;no job security;no job security