GE

3.7
2,495 Reviews

GE Chairman & CEO Jeffrey R. Immelt
Jeffrey R. Immelt

Pros
  • Provides ample opportunity for growth in career , work -life balance is encouraged (in 123 reviews)

• Lots of opportunities to advance if you're willing to move around a lot (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Also most of the people i know who work here don't have much work life balance (in 132 reviews)

• Can be long hours but if you are good at planning your day, you will be more than fine (in 76 reviews)

More Highlights

77 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I am learning a lot of new things from the company, culture, efficency, communication skills and so on.

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at GE as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Culture is to make things work and make progress. GE believes that new technoloy and latents are most important to change the world and make people's life better.

Cons

TIme-off policies are reasonable, Benefits are different, depending on what department you work for. Maybe for nonprofit generating department, benefits should be higer.

No more advice, very good!

Best company to work for

Current Employee - Lead Engineer/Technologist  in  Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer/Technologist in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at GE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work Culture, Growth opportunity, Retirement packages, benefits

Cons

Little low salary than standard,

NA

Aug 19, 2014Recruitment Marketing Leader

Thank you for your review. We are always looking to make GE better that is why we love Glassdoor. We can see what we are doing right and what we still need to work on. Thank you for your time!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Principal  in  Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Principal in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at GE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

GE provides an excellent opportunity to work with extremely smart people and on a variety of different projects. Every day brings a different challenge. Flexible work arrangements possible. Ample opportunities to try out different things/career choices in the company

Cons

Big organization creates challenges of its own: lot of process steps that can be time consuming and frustrating sometimes.

Aug 8, 2014Recruitment Marketing Leader

Thank you for your transparent feedback! We appreciate your response and will certainly include your feedback and advice in looking at ways to improve our company. Thanks!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer  in  Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at GE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Innovation starts right at GE. Pay is great. Demographically equal.

Cons

Buzz words get old. Use of acronyms is crazy at times.

No comment.

Jul 26, 2014Recruitment Marketing Leader

Thank you for the review. I could not agree more about the acronyms! That comment made me smile. We always have room for improvement and platforms like this will help us make great efforts forward ... More

GE is one of the best places to work

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at GE full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very good company for long term career development and growth. They invest in employee development and have plenty of job opportunities to challenge you over your career.

Cons

salary increases are low unless you change jobs frequently (2-3 years), can be very bureaucratic and has pockets of if it's not invented hear, it has no value.

need to value long term employees more. They have significant work experience that can avoid future issues

Jun 9, 2014Strategist

Thank you so much for your feedback. We do feel that GE is a great place to work as well however we always want to improve. This form of feedback is so helpful as we strive to always make GE better!

Mechanical Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Schenectady, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schenectady, NY

I worked at GE as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great exposure to different projects, engineers I worked for/with were willing to give interns and co-ops challenging assignments.

Cons

Creating an identity in such a large, corporate environment. I enjoyed working here but will aim to be employed in a smaller business (of course, any business us smaller than GE!).

The intern program was great, keep it up!

May 21, 2014Strategist

Thank you for your feedback! We enjoy gathering this feedback to make improvements at GE!

Um, evil empire anyone?

Current Employee - Ops Leader  in  Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Ops Leader in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at GE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good paycheck for the job I guess and neat to learn new processes. Very historic area as well, so you can poke around locally or hope over to Boston or NYC.

Cons

Union is pretty hardass about everything and our pay is pitiful in comparison.
    Pretty bureaucratic, surprised me how little salaried folks know each other from other departments. Also surprised me how many problems we see on incoming parts and how fly by the seat of the pants everything is. I thought that wouldn't be the case with GE.

Office culture is pretty sterile, how about focusing on making production happen? Enforcing the contract and etc.

Very Social Culture, Poorly Organized

Current Employee - Sourcing Leader  in  Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Sourcing Leader in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at GE full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people, full of overachievers - can be cut-throat.Doing a good job is not enough. Someone else will take credit if you dont. Culture is always changing. Trying to streamline.
    Lots of growth opportunities, you are expected to move up every two years. Great opps for women and minorities. Lots of public services also. People are very responsive and expect you to be as well. Pay is low for country but high for the depressed area. People are very friendly, almost family like, once you are in and they know you're name.

Cons

Work with union can be frustrating. Expect long hours and little to no appreciation. Lots of bureaucracy. IT is very behind and networks are slow and it takes forever to do simple tasks. Too many meaningless Reorgs with too many levels of high paid managers and no one to do the actual work. Busy work can be redundant and a bit ridiculous at times.

Top Down Leadership is Needed. Vic Abate is doing this and was very needed. (Keep up the good work). Union needs to go if GE wants to stay competitive in long term. Lower level managers are given way too much power and take advantage of it without being properly training in people and leadership skills. HR needs more transparency and more support for employees. Also - invest in IT and find ways to recognize your people at all levels - positive feedback and regular recognition would go a long way. Better more relevant training is very needed, especially for the plethora of it programs that dont interact and one must use.

Unfortunate Waste of 6 of my Best Career Years

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist  in  Schenectady, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Schenectady, NY

I worked at GE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The money was good for the area.

Cons

No matter how hard you work, if you're not one of the "chosen ones" you probably will not get the training needed to advance. To me, it seemed corrupt, far too competitive, and strategically controlled to benefit very few carefully chosen individuals. Not for me. Many others were unhappy but wouldn't dare say so for fear of retaliation, despite the "most ethical company" reputation they have somehow "earned."

A little fairness goes a long way.

Good or bad depending on the manager

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at GE full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good name
    Access to other GE companies

Cons

Some managers may not favor minorities
    Too many managers
    Managers focused on keeping their jobs and not benefit the company

Eliminate some layers of managers

Worked for GE? Contribute to the Community!