GE Software

William Ruh

Anonymous

Current Employee - Lead in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Lead in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at GE Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

After working in the bay area for many years in start-ups, turnarounds and mid-size organizations, GE Software feels like home. I love the culture that has been cultivated over many years. I like that GE is courageous enough to venture into software and the bay area marketplace. I really appreciate the people and values of the organization. I love working for GE and am proud to say that I do.

Cons

The expectations are high, because they should be. GE makes stuff that matters. We are expected to make our work matter..

Keep up the great work. Thanks for making me proud of to work for GE.

Few tweaks...and its a great company to work for

Current Employee - N/A in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - N/A in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at GE Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great co-workers
    - Great benefits
    - great location
    - decent salary
    - 0 politics and drama

Cons

- Extreme , in your face, mandatory trainings that is super-irrelevant to software techies and other time-wastage tasks
    - you do really need to make an effort to tune out bureaucraZy
    - changes of vertical growth depends on your team
    - there are around 20 -30 % of co-workers who are really wanting in their skill sets

- remove mandatory six sigma training for CoE
    - reduce by 100% the focus on Agile..its just a methodology to do software....but shipping code needs to take precedence if you really want to be pioneer in internet of things

Predix Platform Engineer

Current Employee - Platform Engineer in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Platform Engineer in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at GE Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Close to home, and nice environment

Cons

Poor management, and lack of innovation technology. Just take whatever from open source project and drop them together. Not even spend time to integrate them. All managers are liar. Only know how to turn a bad news to good news and present to the upper management.

Just drop the platform, and redirect all money to solutions which will make real money.

Too much focus on navigating political scene rather than performance

I worked at GE Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Based in East bay - one the few options one has.
    Great GE Brand name and discount on appliances

Cons

This is the most that I have ever worked - on presentations, data and irrelevant numbers while being an IC

Growth values are useless if you cannot do your job.

Great place for career growth

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at GE Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

* Herman Miller everything
    * Conference rooms & monitors everywhere
    * Whiteboards everywhere
    * Catered food Fridays
    * Farmers market Thursdays
    * Bishop Ranch

Cons

* Corporate
    * To many people to make quick changes

* Act like a start-up

Work not as advertised, unclear direction, and too much politics

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Ramon, CA

I worked at GE Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No commute if you live in San Ramon, free beverages, use open source technology, work from home, lots of time-off (3 weeks paid vac, 1 week personal business, 2 weeks sick leave, 2 weeks paid parental leave.

Cons

Fake start-up vibes. When interview, it's sold as if a lot of cools interesting work and technology but the reality when I came in it was boring, unchallenge and there wasn't much things to do. What good use of cool technologies when there are no real projects to do it. I don't mind being laid back but just writing the same applications for 1 year with no real use cases, I was bored to death. Developers are expected to function as project manager, developer, QA, and release engineer at the same time to save cost. You can see not much good quality work you can do here as an engineer. Agile Scrum process feels like waterfall (too much ceremony, reports and paperworks). Lots of politics, corporate red tapes, and some amount of favoritism. Performance review is unfair and very subjective such as external focus, courage and imagination (how do you measure it???). It's really a dog eats dog environment. When company doesn't need you anymore, they will give you no notice but when you leave the company, you're treated like dirt, e.g, HR won't see you for exit interview and health benefits cut right away to give you impression not to to come back.

Stop advertising as start-up environment because it isn't. Stop the false advertising for interesting work and what cool things you can do for the company when it's not.

Uninspired work culture, lack of transparency, always catering towards higher ups

I have been working at GE Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Provides some of the most interesting work in the Bay area. The company is giving an earnest attempt at trying to ramp up GE to Silicon Valley standards in terms of pay, work-life balance, and culture. Work hours are reasonable, not too many weekends spent heads down. Stable job for older people.

Cons

Lack of transparency -- they sell you a great vision when hiring, then do something completely different when you are there. Product management is a joke. Agile is loosely adapted due to internal GE processes, creating a terrible planning workflow. Also, too many meetings. No workout room. San Ramon location creates a terrible commute from anywhere that isn't San Ramon.

Stop catering towards the executives are treating employees like lower-class citizens. Don't build a million dollar design center and keep the keys stashed away. Build true innovation, not just the image of it.

Great company and culture!

I have been working at GE Software full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Positive supportive work environment with career advancement. Love the collaborative team environment. Hard working management. Great perks with food trucks and meals.

Cons

Hectic and too many internal meetings

Senior management needs to be more visible

Meaningful work.

I have been working at GE Software

Pros

I enjoy the environment and atmosphere. The setting is agile and open making for a collaborative environment. I’m also passionate about working for a company that is helping create the Industrial Internet and making real world impact.

Cons

Things move fast. We are still getting grounded and not all processes are in place.

Continuing to check in with employees about what is working and what can be improved.

Terrible Management

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at GE Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good building and good location in San Ramon Bishop Ranch. Good business opportunity. Big company that provide at least 2 more years of stable environment. Good solution product.

Cons

Unprofessional and a lot of unqualified managers and directors in platform team. Messy and no direction in platform team. Poor platform architecture, and a lot of security hole. For example, using based 64 encoding instead of 128 bit encryption.

For executive management, please keep the eye on your fellow directors and make sure they follow GE standard and procedure.