GE

2,675 Reviews

GE Chairman & CEO Jeffrey R. Immelt
Jeffrey R. Immelt
1,093 Ratings

Pros
  • Provides ample opportunity for growth in career , work -life balance is encouraged (in 141 reviews)

• Lots of opportunities to advance if you're willing to move around a lot (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • Also most of the people i know who work here don't have much work life balance (in 147 reviews)

• Can be long hours but if you are good at planning your day, you will be more than fine (in 86 reviews)

More Highlights

48 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to grow in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I have been working at GE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn how to become an effective manager and influential leader. Freedom to steer your own career. Learning opportunities and entry-level and experienced leadership programs are world-class.

Cons

Compensation is not tied to to geography putting people living in high-wage parts of the country at a steep disadvantage to their peers. Raises are very small each year in order to keep up with inflation rather than actual value to the company. This is usually the opposite at upper bands.

Develop a distinguishable pay scale and equity bonuses like other peer companies so employees feel an incentive to go above and beyond.

Opportunities as long as you willing to relocate

Current Employee - IT Leader in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - IT Leader in Stamford, CT

I have been working at GE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Invests in its employees who are in the right business or growth area, great training program. Many opportunities to explore as long as you're willing to relocate. Many supportive colleagues, great network of professionals.

Cons

Health benefits declined over the years. Raises are mediocre.

One size fits all stifles creativity.

Safe, but boring

Former Employee - FMP Intern in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - FMP Intern in Stamford, CT

I worked at GE as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Established company
    Friendly work environment, first name basis culture
    Career mobility and growth opportunities
    Development and rotational programs

Cons

No clear goal
    Bureaucratic
    Slow
    Few forward thinking initiatives apparent in culture/workplace

Good experience

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Stamford, CT

I worked at GE as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great brand and reputation. Excellent training programs. High quality people throughout the organization. Even if GE is not for you long-term, it's a great stepping stone to other opportunities.

Cons

Bureaucracy, which would be virtually unavoidable in a company of this size. GE handles it pretty well though, all things considered.

Junior employees are eager to make a meaningful contribution and would benefit from more opportunities to do so.

GE Response

Jul 26, 2014Recruitment Marketing Leader

Thank you so much for your review. Very sound advice! We value this platform to show transparent feedback and help us to always improve.

well organised and structured

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Stamford, CT

I worked at GE as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

good learning at every steps

Cons

I am contractor not a full time

GE Response

Jul 26, 2014Recruitment Marketing Leader

Thank you for your review. We value platforms like this where we can have transparent feedback to improve GE event more.

Not a good place to work for

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Stamford, CT

I worked at GE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary above industry average. Moving around different functions may be easier given the size of the company.

Cons

Nepotism, backstabbing, and discrimination ran rampant in the GE division I worked. Management is blatant about "company over family" philosophy. You have to be a "GE guy" otherwise you are out. The stock price was $50 fifteen years ago and now is $25, which truly reflects the direction of the company, going downward.

Find a job outside GE and you may find good life after GE as I did.

Process fail

Former Employee - Director (Executive Band) in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Director (Executive Band) in Stamford, CT

I worked at GE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of the people are really good, really helpful, and know their jobs well.

Cons

Though GE talks a lot about its HR processes (EMS, training), some managers ignore completely it for years, and HR does nothing. Until one days 5 years have passed, and you learn your career has been stymied by a dysfunctional manager talking behind your back.

Your mileage may vary

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Stamford, CT

I worked at GE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You are surrounded by many intelligent people, managers are usually very experienced, and you learn a great deal vs. other companies. Development is top notch and second to none. I would say that I learned more at this company than where I am currently. I worked hard but learned a great deal.

Cons

If you aren't on the fast track in certain key leadership programs or working in an area they need expertise (Tax, Legal, any government facing compliance role) you will be underpaid. Most employees will be paid less than market, and there is no incentive to stay with the company if you aren't in the select group they pick their leaders from and don't breathe and live the culture. Work life balance in finance was nonexistent. Unfortunately, the company for many is a resume builder.

Management knows that the company's culture is so strong that they can retain most of their top leaders and develop up and coming leaders who will stay; the other employees who are not on that track will leave once they learn that they are not compensated fairly. In order to retain your employees, especially the younger generations, you will need to compensate them more. As the economy improves and younger workers show less and less company loyalty, relying on your culture won't cut it.

Practically unlimited career opportunities, fantastic professional development

Former Employee - Sourcing in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Sourcing in Stamford, CT

I worked at GE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Practically unlimited career opportunities - can do just about any type of job, just about anywhere in the world... if you want to.
    Great professional development - both from training as well as learning from colleagues.

Cons

Working for the wrong person can be devastating to your career. Generally not a problem, but if you are in the wrong department at the wrong time, job cuts or shut downs could end a long, successful career before you know it.

none

In like a lion, out like a lamb (a lamb who went 12 rounds with the lion in a cage match)

Former Employee - Senior Band Professional in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Senior Band Professional in Stamford, CT

I worked at GE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many of GE companies are great to work for. GE Capital, Commercial Finance, former VFS (Vendor Financial Services), etc. Others, not so much. I was fortunate that Jack Welch was CEO for approx. 67% of my career with GE. Throughout this era employees BELIEVED in GE Values, embraced fantastic training tools such as Six Sigma, CAP (Change Acceleration Process), Leadership Training. Customer Satisfaction (referring to internal customers..GE Employees who engaged IT Client Services for support) was top priority. Employees/Teams worked in the office..together..engaged everyday with various teams. I loved getting up in the morning and going to work. Goals and Objectives were established during the first quarter of every year based on solid data. Projects/Tasks made sense. If an employee was a top performer there was no doubt she/he was on a solid, very timely career path. to be continued below.

Cons

Then Mr. Welch left. All GE Capital IT employees were transferred to a centralized IT department under GE Corporate for phase one of the OneGE initiative. A centralized IT group serving all GE Verticals. Only a select one or two small GE divisions (small in regards to number of employees, but extremely integral to GE as a whole), Sigal Zarmi, one of the few female CIO's in Corporate America had the vision and foresight and COURAGE to push back. While the rest of GE IT..now Corporate IT..disintegrated quite rapidly with multiple cost cutting initiatives, outsourcing, so many re-orgs and name changes, team changes..impossible to keep count. Morale of the majority of IT personal desperately treaded water but couldn't hold out. It began sinking and continues to sink to this very day. GE Values mean nothing, Spirit letter means nothing.

Don't take my word for it..survey Corporate IT employees. Give them the following list of GE Core Values that drive Leadership and employees to excel.

*Strong Work Ethic: Valued employees who work hard and work smart
    *Dependable/Reliable: Take Accountability for the teams they lead or projects they manage
    *Positive Attitude and Embracing Change
    *Adaptable and Flexible: Projects don't always go as planned. Adapt, think outside of the box, and motivate your team.
    Ask them to rate them in order of importance. Also give them an option to rate ALL of them as EQUALLY IMPORTANT.

Now lets make a charitable David vs Goliath bet. Me v.s. Glassdoor. $5000 donated to the charity of choice. I will wager that over 94% will select the option that All of them are equally important. It does not matter how many employees actually rate them. My wager? Less than 6% will reply back that the values listed are important but are NOT the GE CORE Values that are critical to the growth and success of General Electric

The real GE Values which truly ARE critical when INDIVIDUAL Goals and Objectives are identified in a one one one meeting with a manger. They are the following:
    External focus
    Show imagination and courage
    Drive inclusiveness,
    Have expertise
    Clear thinkers

Most teams are virtual, in silos, have no idea what related teams are doing. The teams that were outsourced work in sweat shop environments. They are treated as lepers, beaten with a stick, not embraced as teammates. In my last months at GE, after engaging HR and the Ombudsperson because my boss was a bully, a former Army vet who treated employees as if they were in the Army at boot camp, not part of a team. Sticking up for the team who STRONGLY advised me NOT to go to HR as it is the kiss of death and told me flat out they would plead the fifth if approached. They all advised me to shut up, collect the paycheck, pay the bills, and be grateful I have a job. I couldn't do that. I dreaded going to work each day. I was depressed..desperately searched for another job at GE and FOUND a perfect fit.
    But it was AFTER I went to HR. I was not allowed to move. I was put on a performance plan.
    When I was informed by my boss that I was being put on a performance plan (even though I achieved ALL my Goals and Objectives along with additional stretch goals) I explained that I needed a change after working for 4 years on a team that was constantly in flux, no stability, four managers in four years...my manager informed me that I COULD interview for the position, saw no reason why I couldn't move but he wanted to discuss it with HR first. End result, I was NOT allowed to interview..was put on a plan.

The rest is history. I could literally write a book about Corporate IT. It would be incredibly entertaining. Solidly backup my claims with data. The scandal stories alone would make it a best seller. I decided not too because I am grateful for the fantastic managers I had in my early years. Grateful for the wide skill set I developed in those early years. And my last 4 or 5 years? I was schooled with 500+ examples of how NOT to lead, manage projects, treat people.

For GE Corporate I have none. Every year we were surveyed, every year survey data spelled out (make some serious changes) and nothing ever changed. The advice I would give would endorse (x, y, z) and that goes against Glassdoor Rules.