GE

GE Chairman & CEO Jeffrey R. Immelt

Jeffrey R. Immelt

44 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

well organised and structured

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
    Stamford, CT

Prosgood learning at every steps

ConsI am contractor not a full time

Good experience

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
    Stamford, CT

ProsGreat brand and reputation. Excellent training programs. High quality people throughout the organization. Even if GE is not for you long-term, it's a great stepping stone to other opportunities.

ConsBureaucracy, which would be virtually unavoidable in a company of this size. GE handles it pretty well though, all things considered.

Advice to Senior ManagementJunior employees are eager to make a meaningful contribution and would benefit from more opportunities to do so.

Process fail

Director (Executive Band) (Former Employee)
    Stamford, CT

ProsA lot of the people are really good, really helpful, and know their jobs well.

ConsThough GE talks a lot about its HR processes (EMS, training), some managers ignore completely it for years, and HR does nothing. Until one days 5 years have passed, and you learn your career has been stymied by a dysfunctional manager talking behind your back.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Your mileage may vary

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Stamford, CT

ProsYou are surrounded by many intelligent people, managers are usually very experienced, and you learn a great deal vs. other companies. Development is top notch and second to none. I would say that I learned more at this company than where I am currently. I worked hard but learned a great deal.

ConsIf you aren't on the fast track in certain key leadership programs or working in an area they need expertise (Tax, Legal, any government facing compliance role) you will be underpaid. Most employees will be paid less than market, and there is no incentive to stay with the company if you aren't in the select group they pick their leaders from and don't breathe and live the culture. Work life balance in finance was nonexistent. Unfortunately, the company for many is a resume builder.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement knows that the company's culture is so strong that they can retain most of their top leaders and develop up and coming leaders who will stay; the other employees who are not on that track will leave once they learn that they are not compensated fairly. In order to retain your employees, especially the younger generations, you will need to compensate them more. As the economy improves and younger workers show less and less company loyalty, relying on your culture won't cut it.

Practically unlimited career opportunities, fantastic professional development

Sourcing (Former Employee)
    Stamford, CT

ProsPractically unlimited career opportunities - can do just about any type of job, just about anywhere in the world... if you want to.
    Great professional development - both from training as well as learning from colleagues.

ConsWorking for the wrong person can be devastating to your career. Generally not a problem, but if you are in the wrong department at the wrong time, job cuts or shut downs could end a long, successful career before you know it.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

In like a lion, out like a lamb (a lamb who went 12 rounds with the lion in a cage match)

Senior Band Professional (Former Employee)
    Stamford, CT

ProsMany of GE companies are great to work for. GE Capital, Commercial Finance, former VFS (Vendor Financial Services), etc. Others, not so much. I was fortunate that Jack Welch was CEO for approx. 67% of my career with GE. Throughout this era employees BELIEVED in GE Values, embraced fantastic training tools such as Six Sigma, CAP (Change Acceleration Process), Leadership Training. Customer Satisfaction (referring to internal customers..GE Employees who engaged IT Client Services for support) was top priority. Employees/Teams worked in the office..together..engaged everyday with various teams. I loved getting up in the morning and going to work. Goals and Objectives were established during the first quarter of every year based on solid data. Projects/Tasks made sense. If an employee was a top performer there was no doubt she/he was on a solid, very timely career path. to be continued below.

ConsThen Mr. Welch left. All GE Capital IT employees were transferred to a centralized IT department under GE Corporate for phase one of the OneGE initiative. A centralized IT group serving all GE Verticals. Only a select one or two small GE divisions (small in regards to number of employees, but extremely integral to GE as a whole), Sigal Zarmi, one of the few female CIO's in Corporate America had the vision and foresight and COURAGE to push back. While the rest of GE IT..now Corporate IT..disintegrated quite rapidly with multiple cost cutting initiatives, outsourcing, so many re-orgs and name changes, team changes..impossible to keep count. Morale of the majority of IT personal desperately treaded water but couldn't hold out. It began sinking and continues to sink to this very day. GE Values mean nothing, Spirit letter means nothing.

Don't take my word for it..survey Corporate IT employees. Give them the following list of GE Core Values that drive Leadership and employees to excel.

*Strong Work Ethic: Valued employees who work hard and work smart
    *Dependable/Reliable: Take Accountability for the teams they lead or projects they manage
    *Positive Attitude and Embracing Change
    *Adaptable and Flexible: Projects don't always go as planned. Adapt, think outside of the box, and motivate your team.
    Ask them to rate them in order of importance. Also give them an option to rate ALL of them as EQUALLY IMPORTANT.

Now lets make a charitable David vs Goliath bet. Me v.s. Glassdoor. $5000 donated to the charity of choice. I will wager that over 94% will select the option that All of them are equally important. It does not matter how many employees actually rate them. My wager? Less than 6% will reply back that the values listed are important but are NOT the GE CORE Values that are critical to the growth and success of General Electric

The real GE Values which truly ARE critical when INDIVIDUAL Goals and Objectives are identified in a one one one meeting with a manger. They are the following:
    External focus
    Show imagination and courage
    Drive inclusiveness,
    Have expertise
    Clear thinkers

Most teams are virtual, in silos, have no idea what related teams are doing. The teams that were outsourced work in sweat shop environments. They are treated as lepers, beaten with a stick, not embraced as teammates. In my last months at GE, after engaging HR and the Ombudsperson because my boss was a bully, a former Army vet who treated employees as if they were in the Army at boot camp, not part of a team. Sticking up for the team who STRONGLY advised me NOT to go to HR as it is the kiss of death and told me flat out they would plead the fifth if approached. They all advised me to shut up, collect the paycheck, pay the bills, and be grateful I have a job. I couldn't do that. I dreaded going to work each day. I was depressed..desperately searched for another job at GE and FOUND a perfect fit.
    But it was AFTER I went to HR. I was not allowed to move. I was put on a performance plan.
    When I was informed by my boss that I was being put on a performance plan (even though I achieved ALL my Goals and Objectives along with additional stretch goals) I explained that I needed a change after working for 4 years on a team that was constantly in flux, no stability, four managers in four years...my manager informed me that I COULD interview for the position, saw no reason why I couldn't move but he wanted to discuss it with HR first. End result, I was NOT allowed to interview..was put on a plan.

The rest is history. I could literally write a book about Corporate IT. It would be incredibly entertaining. Solidly backup my claims with data. The scandal stories alone would make it a best seller. I decided not too because I am grateful for the fantastic managers I had in my early years. Grateful for the wide skill set I developed in those early years. And my last 4 or 5 years? I was schooled with 500+ examples of how NOT to lead, manage projects, treat people.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor GE Corporate I have none. Every year we were surveyed, every year survey data spelled out (make some serious changes) and nothing ever changed. The advice I would give would endorse (x, y, z) and that goes against Glassdoor Rules.

Solid people

Trade Operations Specialist (Current Employee)
    Stamford, CT

Prosgreat mobility, great vacation, great people

Conspay could be higher for sure

Program Manager

Program Manager (Current Employee)

ProsLeadership Training is Excellent with Hardvard teachers

ConsExtremely Demanding and Competitive environment

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter compensation

GE, Great place to work

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Stamford, CT

ProsGreat training programs and benefits. Opportunity to experience a variety of businesses. Get to work with lots of smart people with diverse backgrounds.

ConsHave to deal with lots of bureaucracy

It was a very rewarding, enriching and valuable opportunity

FP&A Financial Analyst, In Addition to Other Roles (Former Employee)
    Stamford, CT

ProsBecome part of great business teams which are made up of talented and high caliber individuals

ConsReady to put in long hours, which is pretty much the norm in the financial industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide additional resources to improve life/work balance.

Worked for GE? Contribute to the Community!

GE Videos

GE – Why Work for Us?

At GE, we are building, curing, moving, and power the world. It goes beyond businesses, brands and infrastructure. With several businesses and operations in over 170 countries, GE employees have an unparalleled… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GE reviews and ratings in Stamford, CT — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GE CEO Jeffrey R. Immelt . All 44 reviews posted anonymously by GE employees.