GE Transportation Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
179 reviews filtered by
3.4
GE Transportation Senior Vice President and President and Chief Executive Officer Russell T. Stokes
Russell T. Stokes

Pros
  • work-life balance, very flexible, competitive salaries (in 6 reviews)

• Great people, supportive, lots of activities for the interns, everybody is eager to help out (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much work load & work pressure , Need to struggle to have work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Often employees work long hours and efforts go unnoticed (in 6 reviews)

1. Summer intern for mechanical engineering

Former Intern - Internship in Erie, PA
    Former Intern - Internship in Erie, PA

I worked at GE Transportation as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very nice people, opportunities for professional development if they are sought.

Cons

Disorganized at times, much of the intern work is just busy work

Give intern

2. GE Transportation - ITS - Melbourne, FL

Current Employee - Engineering in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Engineering in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at GE Transportation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Technically challenging opportunities, advantages of working for a big company including career moves within other businesses.

Cons

One would have to consider carefully before accepting to take on challenges. Your responsibilities may increase significantly in short time and you would be expected to work and perform at much higher capacity compared to your pay band and salary for a long time. The company is very slow matching compensation for the contribution. Benefits significantly reduces since I started working.

Compensate your employees fairly matching the industry standards.

3. Great experience, good pay, no benefits and can only last a year at a time.

Current Contractor - Validation Engineer Contractor in Melbourne, FL
    Current Contractor - Validation Engineer Contractor in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at GE Transportation as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

If you need something now and has decent pay, then this is a good job for that. GE Transportation hires many contractors and as one of them you get to come in and touch a lot of their equipment. It is a great place to work at while you look for a permanent position. Maybe even with them if you take the time to go a little beyond what they are asking.

Cons

It is a contract position. Meaning it is either side can say I am done rather abruptly. Luckily for them, Trains and the equipment to support trains is in growing demand. This translates to keeping the contract going for the maximum duration. Which for this type of contractor is one 12 month span. A which point a 3 month breather has to be taken and then can come back for one more 12 month period. No Holiday pay, No time off, No benefits, and spotty on overtime pay but this is a contract gig. That is why it pays $45 an hour.

5. Program Manager

Former Employee - Program Manager in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Erie, PA

I worked at GE Transportation

Pros

Challenging, Face Paced, excellent training programs

Cons

Work Life Balance is not a priority

Value your People Assests

6. Little opportunity but great money

Former Employee - Customer Support Intern in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Support Intern in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at GE Transportation

Pros

- Great money and benefits, especially for part-time
    - Not micro-managed
    - Pretty good office environment

Cons

- Corporate environment not as fun before merger
    - Higher expectations of new supervisors
    - Tons of training, ethics, and office behavior tutorials and videos

- Lighten up, toots!

7. Challenging, fast-paced environment.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Erie, PA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Erie, PA

I worked at GE Transportation

Pros

People are good to work with and the environment is challenging and fast-paced. Lots of work to accomplish, clarity in role expectations.

Cons

Sometimes work / life balance can be a challenge and things can get overwhelming. Need to make progress quickly.

Focus on employees

8. Dynamic Environment

Former Contractor - Program and Logistics Coordinator for TFR South Africa in Erie, PA

I worked at GE Transportation as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The work is interesting and challenging. There were many departmental "cross-overs" allowing for a broad range of interaction with other departments and individuals. Gained much "new" experience with elements such as, GE Global Finance, contract proposals, Oracle system.

Cons

Downside is that there is a difficult time trying to get in. Direct hire positions seem to be hard to come by. Contract positions are ok , but they provide limited time for additional training and last only 12 months and once you have been a contract employee twice, you cannot go back. Additionally, in my case, my first contract was for a position they created because they needed to take the load off 4 other personnel and after a successful 12 months and was even put in for a 3 month extension, I was let go and have no idea if they ever hired anyone else to fill my job. It was disappointing because I owned Program and Logistics Coordinator for South Africa, I cleaned it up and streamlined it and eventually GE won a large 400 Locomotive contract to TFR South Africa which would have meant at least 8 years of work for me in that position.

I think management needs to take a more careful look at the efforts and contributions of "contract" workers and assess more accurately their continued need as a full time GETS employee. Once I was gone, they either had to start all over again with someone else, or re-distribute the work back to the 4 other people who were doing it before. That seems highly in-efficient to me.

9. Excellent company

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Erie, PA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Erie, PA

I worked at GE Transportation as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

- Good pay.
    - Opportunity to meet many different employees/managers across the business.
    - Leadership programs & training to build career.

Cons

Some positions don't provide you with challenging work.

Make sure all of your employees are involved and feel valued. My first internship wasn't enjoyable or educational because the work was easy and I didn't feel like I was contributing anything valuable to the company. However, my second internship was enjoyable and valuable because I felt like I made significant contributions and I had the opportunity to learn about the business and meet senior management.

10. Summer Intern

I worked at GE Transportation

Pros

Fast paced work environment. Learn a lot very quickly, sink or swim mentality.

Cons

Little to no training, must be very independent to get things done. Little power to finish projects.

11. Drive Control FPGA Engineer

Current Employee - Drive Control FPGA Engineer in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Drive Control FPGA Engineer in Erie, PA

I have been working at GE Transportation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You can learn some design that you can not learn in other company, since GE have contract with big companies.

Cons

You should on your own, or you will be left behind. Not so much communication between coworks.

Big company, everyone in GE should consider themselves as lead