GEAR for Sports

Not yet rated.

Robert M. Wolff

Great position!

Embroidery Operator (Current Employee) Lenexa, KS

ProsPay is reasonable, benefits include a fairly good health insurance plan, paid holidays off, paid sick days, and 2 weeks of vacation per year (which you're eligible for after only 10 months). They're usually willing to work around your schedule, even on very short notice. The job is fairly straightforward and doesn't require a bunch of back-breaking labor.

My favorite part is that I'm pretty much left alone. Once you're trained, they seem to trust you to get the job done without someone constantly hanging over your shoulder. It's also a nice switch from working with the general public (after 2 years at Walmart) and you don't have someone screaming at you all the time for things outside of your control.

Another cool perk is that they allow you to bring radios and CD players to play while you work. No headphones allowed unfortunately, but it's still pretty cool to be able to listen to whatever you want while you work (assuming you can hear the radio over the noise of the machines haha).

ConsThe building we work in is boiling hot when the outside temperature gets above about 40 degrees. It is poorly air-conditioned, and in the summer months it can be almost unbearable.

You don't get a lot of time to get to know your co-workers, as the machines are loud (meaning any conversation has to be shouted) and you work on orders alone. The people are friendly, but I do miss having close friends at work.

It would be nice to be allowed to sit down while you have nothing to do. My department has 8 hour shifts, with one 10 minute break and a 30 minute lunch period. Other than that, you're standing the whole time. Sometimes, if you have a really long order, you'll have periods of time (usually only 2-5 minutes) where you literally have nothing to do but watch the machines to make sure they're running. You're not supposed to sit down during this time, and just standing there quickly takes a toll on your feet, while walking aimlessly up and down the machines is just pointless when they're clearly running fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementCrank up that air-conditioning, but otherwise keep up the good work :)

Creative Director

Creative Director (Former Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsGreat people to work with
    Work Stations

ConsPolitical environment
    Employee review system is not the same across the company

Advice to Senior ManagementBe yourself and stand for your decisions

OK company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosa great place to work

Consno problems working with this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It wasnt what i thought it would be.

Runner (Current Employee) Lenexa, KS

ProsThe work is somewhat easy

ConsVery low pay/ Very long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your workers the same in every position

Great people don't compensate for low salaries

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lenexa, KS

ProsThe people are great, like a family!

ConsVery little opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage ideas, don't inhibit!

Fun Place to Work

Certified Printer (Current Employee) Lenexa, KS

ProsRewarding
    Hours (3 - 4 days/week)
    I moved up quicklly
    Progressive environment

ConsHours (12 hour shifts are hard)
    Some associates

Advice to Senior Managementnone - this was a good job

Not an ideal workplace

Graphic Artist (Former Employee) Lenexa, KS

ProsGood benefits...
    high quality coworkers...
    overtime is paid

ConsThe company hires the cheapest help they can find, which rarely includes quality help.
    Low salaries, required Sunday work and sometimes past midnight.
    No trust from management to do a job without constant supervision.
    No support for advancement within the company.
    New Corporate parent stifles compensation and limits the already limited perks.
    Most employees are narrow-minded, both professionally and socially.
    Almost everyone, when asked to help out, will say "That's not my job" and collaboration is frowned upon.
    Hard to find anyone who is happy to be working there!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet off your high horse, stand up for your team, and treat them like adults.

Customer Service

Customer Service (Current Employee) Lenexa, KS

ProsGreat team, family atmosphere and environment. Promotions/Growth available from within. Great starting point for young professionals.

ConsThere aren't any cons. More pressure from Hanes after buy out but the company is still strong and independent.

Friendly Fun Environment and Great Opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lenexa, KS

ProsI disagree with the previous review. I have been promoted several times in several years. If you work hard, it is recongnized and they always try to promoted from within whenever possible.
    + Work Schedule
    +Flexible
    +Company Benefits
    +Community Outreach

Cons- Starting wages are lower than some competitors but offer lots of opportunity for advancement.

Mediocre.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lenexa, KS

ProsBenefits, discount on apparel, overtime is compensated.

ConsManagement is incompetent, they don't like promoting or moving associates to other departments so people end up leaving in frustration.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreasure your current employees bc they're looming to get out.

Worked for GEAR for Sports? Contribute to the Community!