GEICO

GEICO Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely

Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros:
  • "The benefits are very good with the best thing being the profit sharing"
    in 169 reviews
  • "Great benefits, generous profit sharing, a lot of advancement opportunities"
    in 77 reviews
Cons:
  • "If "Be the low-cost provider" is improperly administered it could become "penny wise and pound foolish""
    in 22 reviews
  • "When originally hired shift made for difficult work life balance"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

If you like to talk on the phone, this is the job for you

Telephone Claims Representative (Former Employee)

Pros- Pay is solid
    - Medical/dental/vision/life insurance/401k etc. all start on day 1
    - Profit sharing (but see the cons for more info)
    - People are very friendly and welcoming
    - Frequent little morale boosters within the company and departments (potlucks, lunches, raffles)

Cons- Profit sharing begins only after one full year of employment at GEICO. So if you start in February 2014, you aren't eligible for the company profit sharing program until 2016.
    - Promotions are purely based on intercompany metrics and rankings--unless you're in the top 8 or 9 of your department, you probably won't get promoted.
    - Management doesn't like it if you don't answer your phone

Advice to Senior ManagementGEICO believes that if there are very few dropped calls, customers will be happier. It's great that GEICO strives to boast its strength in customer satisfaction when a customer doesn't go to voicemail, but there are numerous customers who are never happy if they don't get to speak with their own adjuster and would rather be connected to their voicemail anyway.

Management, please stop focusing on the dropped calls and let the upper level adjusters focus on their work. Taking your teammate's calls cuts valuable time in trying to build rapport with your own customers, resolve liability, and settle claims without having to stay late or come in on a Saturday.

Many examiners are friendly but stressed out because the job is a lot of work. Multitasking is not an issue if all you're doing is handling your own files and taking your own calls. It gets a bit much when the company sets a goal of trying to catch every call before it goes to voicemail. Stopping and handling your teammates' work can easily burn through at least 2 hours of your own day.

This system is not effective in ensuring you're doing the best work you can as the goal suddenly becomes to end the call as fast as possible so you can attempt to focus on your own work.

If you're all about milking the overtime and staying busy, this might be a great fit for you. The job itself is fine, but I feel that adding in the element of picking up your teammate's work does more harm than good.

Stable company but unnecessarily stressful

Manager (Current Employee)
    Chevy Chase, MD

ProsIt is a very stable company with promotional opportunities if you are willing to relocate.

ConsUpper management micro manages everyone that reports to them. Compliments aren't given as much as negative comments. They want to hire cheaper labor and encourage older associates to retire since retirement benefits are no longer offered.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro managing, encourage your associates to stay, improve morale, allow more associates in staff positions to telecommute and not just a few hand picked favorites.

Not what i thought it would be

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Woodbury, NY

Prospay is okay to start

Consnot as easy as they say to move up, very isolating and number focused

Advice to Senior Managementget on the same page about how to do things

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great place to work, if you like being told what to do all the time

Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee)
    Poway, CA

Pros-great benefits. very nice 401k match, yearly bonus (profit share), very good "paid time off" accrual
    -decent hourly pay
    -job security

Cons-management = micro managers
    -always being told how to and what to say on the phones to a customer
    -youre measured on the time youre logged into the phone systems/sitting down at your desk. if youre late from lunch breaks/bathroom breaks those minutes are counted against yo

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen setting expectations for your agents, try a day or two in the shoes of said agents and see how much can be done.

Lead by example ... if I were a restaurant manager I would never ask anything from my bartenders or dish washers that I know I couldnt possibly do myself.

Learned a lot

Continuing Unit Examiner (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsGreat Benefits
    Emphasize training
    Licensing department to oversee and renew your licenses

ConsNumbers are better than quality files. Clicking an offer accepted button makes a file unsatisfactory although the remainder of the file is excellent. Most of the horrible management in claims is gone. Region V is out of control and they micro manage you during the day and when and how you take your sick time. Don't have a sick kid or family member. It will go against your dependability rating because it was an unplanned absence.

Can be a great company to work for.

ProsThe company offers many benefits, although if you have a family, it can substantially reduce your net pay.

ConsIf you are in a team where the supervisor is not concerned with your personal growth, it is challenging to excel in your position. To stay current with your workload, many employees put in several hours of work before and after work.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees do not leave companies, they leave managers...

Lenghthy hiring process but infinitely fair.

ProsBenefits (especially profit-sharing); promote-from-within culture; long-term employment opportunities

ConsLack of real focus/investment on professional development for non-management employees; non-competetive salary schedule

Not recommended

Telephone Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)
    Macon, GA

ProsGood benefits
    Have met wonderful friends

ConsI work in claims (non-call center). I have a decent supervisor which has made work life more bearable. In a period of 10 years I have seen management turn a family-oriented company into a company that does not care about it's employees or integrity. GEICO only cares about numbers and, in recent months, upper management has gone so far as to literally try to teach good employees how to not handle claims fairly for the sole purpose of making the numbers look good. Things are so bad that even my supervisor is turning into a micromanager. It's hard to find a job that pays this well, but it's also hard to find a company that will stress you to the point of a nervous breakdown.

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy associates are better associates. Teach people how to do the job well and fairly. Then leave your people alone and allow them to do their job. Stop trying to cut corners by not training well; our training was the best and now it is embarrassing.

Good place to work and meet great people

Claims Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Getzville, NY

ProsDecent pay, a lot of promotion potential, dental health vision at good pric, good career coaching

ConsThe grading system. I work in claims and the grading system is insane. Especially for surveys. Geico pushes you go get great survey results which is fine but if someone had a bad experience with a different agent and even if they right it in the survey and say that it hurts you. In claims after taking the initIal call there aren't many reasons to call a customer back so they're experience with you is usually the first call. When they get that survey 2 months later they don't remember you.... If they give it all ones... Still on you. Surveys are huge part of your grade and that's only part of the grading system issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your agents modify the grading to make the illusion of being able to have fair oppertuniy towards a promotion real

15 Years In GEICO IT

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGEICO has a diverse culture and excellent job security. No age, race, sexual orientation, etc. discrimination exists. It is a high integrity company. They truly care passionately about their customers.

ConsPoor management. Highly controlled management style. Not flexible or generous towards employees. Minimal raises. Poor vacation benefits. Expensive medical coverage. While job security is good in that few people ever get fired, they don't really seem to value their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times. You're way to old school and conservative. Listen to your employees. Be more generous and trusting.

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!

GEICO Videos

GEICO – Why Work for Us?

Government Employees Insurance Company. Puzzled, are you? Well, the name goes back to the beginnings of the company. Founder Leo Goodwin first targeted a customer base of U.S. government employees and military… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GEICO reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GEICO CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely. All 752 reviews posted anonymously by GEICO employees.