GEICO

GEICO Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely

Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros:
  • "The benefits are very good with the best thing being the profit sharing"
    in 169 reviews
  • "Great benefits, generous profit sharing, a lot of advancement opportunities"
    in 77 reviews
Cons:
  • "If "Be the low-cost provider" is improperly administered it could become "penny wise and pound foolish""
    in 22 reviews
  • "When originally hired shift made for difficult work life balance"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not recommended

Telephone Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)
    Macon, GA

ProsGood benefits
    Have met wonderful friends

ConsI work in claims (non-call center). I have a decent supervisor which has made work life more bearable. In a period of 10 years I have seen management turn a family-oriented company into a company that does not care about it's employees or integrity. GEICO only cares about numbers and, in recent months, upper management has gone so far as to literally try to teach good employees how to not handle claims fairly for the sole purpose of making the numbers look good. Things are so bad that even my supervisor is turning into a micromanager. It's hard to find a job that pays this well, but it's also hard to find a company that will stress you to the point of a nervous breakdown.

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy associates are better associates. Teach people how to do the job well and fairly. Then leave your people alone and allow them to do their job. Stop trying to cut corners by not training well; our training was the best and now it is embarrassing.

15 Years In GEICO IT

Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGEICO has a diverse culture and excellent job security. No age, race, sexual orientation, etc. discrimination exists. It is a high integrity company. They truly care passionately about their customers.

ConsPoor management. Highly controlled management style. Not flexible or generous towards employees. Minimal raises. Poor vacation benefits. Expensive medical coverage. While job security is good in that few people ever get fired, they don't really seem to value their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times. You're way to old school and conservative. Listen to your employees. Be more generous and trusting.

Good place to work and meet great people

Claims Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Getzville, NY

ProsDecent pay, a lot of promotion potential, dental health vision at good pric, good career coaching

ConsThe grading system. I work in claims and the grading system is insane. Especially for surveys. Geico pushes you go get great survey results which is fine but if someone had a bad experience with a different agent and even if they right it in the survey and say that it hurts you. In claims after taking the initIal call there aren't many reasons to call a customer back so they're experience with you is usually the first call. When they get that survey 2 months later they don't remember you.... If they give it all ones... Still on you. Surveys are huge part of your grade and that's only part of the grading system issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your agents modify the grading to make the illusion of being able to have fair oppertuniy towards a promotion real

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inconsistent

ProsEnough pay, great benefits, amount of time off given, car, majority of weekends off(for my position)

ConsBelow standard pay, especially when you have years with the company and there is no negotiating pay increases. They won't even offer an increase if you are their best employee and mention you are leaving.(Happened to one of my good friends, who took a pay cut to leave).
    Very micromanaged. They try to say they care about customer service, but they give you some many tasks it takes away from that. They try to squeeze blood from a turnip and would rather keep hiring "fresh meat" then keep good employees.
    There are a lot of job opportunities, but if you are not one of the hand picked people from the hiring manager or if you dont have everything that is on their list, you can forget about a promotion. Ex. I have been with the company for 7 years and they needed a new supervisor for my direct area and could not get it filled, but they would not even interview me, because I didnt have my bachelors.(I do have an associates in Business and only need a few more credits to get my Bachelors)

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease start looking outside the box for promotions. Listen more to the people doing the position to truly help the company. Be more open on your salary structure

The Best Employer There Is.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

ProsGreat work culture and environment. Best employer there is! great benefits. Tuition fee reimbursements. Bonuses. Profit sharing. Pay grade increase and promotions and growth opportunities for everyone. All they need is put their heart and mind into it. BEST JOB I HAVE EVER HAD!

ConsThe job scope can be overwhelming at first, but our coaches and supervisors are so supportive and they provide high caliber training to equip you the necessary skills

Great salary, great benefits, great atmosphere!

Woodbury, NY

ProsThere are always contests that promote success, and they really keep you motivated. Each department has a lot of energy and great people who work alongside of you.

ConsDepartments are very focused on employees achieving their goals, so you need to make sure that you are consistently focused and motivated.

Overall it's a great first full time job

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Poway, CA

ProsDecent pay, great benefits, positive environment, opportunity for enhancement

ConsPay is good, just not the best

Advice to Senior ManagementBase level pay is good would like more increase with promotions

The best place to work at

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsWork with you with your schedule. Great pay and benefits. They provide all the recourses to preform your job.

Conslack of communications between sections.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some to spend with the employees under management to get a feel of what is going on with each section.

Unknown

Claims Service Representative II (Current Employee)
    Macon, GA

Prosbenefits and opportunities to grow

ConsIt is all about the numbers.

GEICO is a fantastic place to work. Excellent company with a grand future.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat career opportunities as well as growth potential in a variety of fields. There are sales, service and claims associates as well as everything in between.

ConsLimited movement without a 4 year college degree. Sometimes too many changes that leave an employee confused.

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!

GEICO Videos

GEICO – Why Work for Us?

Government Employees Insurance Company. Puzzled, are you? Well, the name goes back to the beginnings of the company. Founder Leo Goodwin first targeted a customer base of U.S. government employees and military… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GEICO reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GEICO CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely. All 754 reviews posted anonymously by GEICO employees.