GEICO

GEICO Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely

Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • The benefits are very good with the best thing being the profit sharing(in 179 reviews)

• Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life)(in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Outdated claims systems and equipment, only reasoning that is given is "low cost provider"(in 23 reviews)

• Had a long commute to the city where the call center was located(in 47 reviews)

Great Place to Start

Claims Service Representative (Former Employee) Macon, GA

ProsThis company has great structure. GEICO is a really great place for young professionals to learn how to work hard. The pay and benefits are very good. What is required of you is clearly defined and you will get plenty of training and thus feel confident in your work.

ConsThe jobs that are in the call center are not for everyone. One must be thick skinned to be able to handle this type of work day in and day out. Sometimes there is a bit to much micromanagement which can in a way created a bit of chaos. However, policy's usually balance out and employees will sooner or latter be told what the official method or regulation is.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a better way to handle claims. I feel the direct handler method has too many flaws. It may be worth it to have reps who just service claims as in answer questions about them, solve issues and track down upper level adjusters.

horrible

Telephone Claims Representative (Former Employee) Fredericksburg, VA

Prosgreat benfits, room for advancement depending on who you are

Conspoor management, poor pay , long hours, lies, lies and more lies get told to you.

Advice to Senior Managementget it together, stop sleeping your way to the top , took much playing around, a bunch of drunks

Great salary, great benefits, great atmosphere!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Woodbury, NY

ProsThere are always contests that promote success, and they really keep you motivated. Each department has a lot of energy and great people who work alongside of you.

ConsDepartments are very focused on employees achieving their goals, so you need to make sure that you are consistently focused and motivated.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall it's a great first full time job

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Poway, CA

ProsDecent pay, great benefits, positive environment, opportunity for enhancement

ConsPay is good, just not the best

Advice to Senior ManagementBase level pay is good would like more increase with promotions

Unknown

Claims Service Representative II (Current Employee) Macon, GA

Prosbenefits and opportunities to grow

ConsIt is all about the numbers.

The best place to work at

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsWork with you with your schedule. Great pay and benefits. They provide all the recourses to preform your job.

Conslack of communications between sections.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some to spend with the employees under management to get a feel of what is going on with each section.

Awful.

Inside SIU (Former Employee) Getzville, NY

ProsSteady paycheck. Job security. Good health benefits. Room for advancement, especially if you make the right friends & know the right people.

ConsMicromanaged to a fault. Poor, unprofessional upper management. "Boy's Club". Terrible supervisors. Terrible training. No coaching/mentoring for new employees. Poor total compensation when compared to other companies in industry. The time off allotted has impossibly strict guidelines regarding how it can be used. NO work/life balance. Upper departments treated same as entry level. Rated goals often impossible to meet with the workload given. Not provided quality/working equipment to do the job you are required to do (ie. phones, computers, monitors, a working printer...) "Low cost provider" but sadly it's the employees that end up paying for that philosophy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTear down current business model regarding employees & start over.

If you like to talk on the phone, this is the job for you

Telephone Claims Representative (Former Employee)

Pros- Pay is solid
    - Medical/dental/vision/life insurance/401k etc. all start on day 1
    - Profit sharing (but see the cons for more info)
    - People are very friendly and welcoming
    - Frequent little morale boosters within the company and departments (potlucks, lunches, raffles)

Cons- Profit sharing begins only after one full year of employment at GEICO. So if you start in February 2014, you aren't eligible for the company profit sharing program until 2016.
    - Promotions are purely based on intercompany metrics and rankings--unless you're in the top 8 or 9 of your department, you probably won't get promoted.
    - Management doesn't like it if you don't answer your phone

Advice to Senior ManagementGEICO believes that if there are very few dropped calls, customers will be happier. It's great that GEICO strives to boast its strength in customer satisfaction when a customer doesn't go to voicemail, but there are numerous customers who are never happy if they don't get to speak with their own adjuster and would rather be connected to their voicemail anyway.

Management, please stop focusing on the dropped calls and let the upper level adjusters focus on their work. Taking your teammate's calls cuts valuable time in trying to build rapport with your own customers, resolve liability, and settle claims without having to stay late or come in on a Saturday.

Many examiners are friendly but stressed out because the job is a lot of work. Multitasking is not an issue if all you're doing is handling your own files and taking your own calls. It gets a bit much when the company sets a goal of trying to catch every call before it goes to voicemail. Stopping and handling your teammates' work can easily burn through at least 2 hours of your own day.

This system is not effective in ensuring you're doing the best work you can as the goal suddenly becomes to end the call as fast as possible so you can attempt to focus on your own work.

If you're all about milking the overtime and staying busy, this might be a great fit for you. The job itself is fine, but I feel that adding in the element of picking up your teammate's work does more harm than good.

Stable company but unnecessarily stressful

Manager (Current Employee) Chevy Chase, MD

ProsIt is a very stable company with promotional opportunities if you are willing to relocate.

ConsUpper management micro manages everyone that reports to them. Compliments aren't given as much as negative comments. They want to hire cheaper labor and encourage older associates to retire since retirement benefits are no longer offered.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro managing, encourage your associates to stay, improve morale, allow more associates in staff positions to telecommute and not just a few hand picked favorites.

Lenghthy hiring process but infinitely fair.

ProsBenefits (especially profit-sharing); promote-from-within culture; long-term employment opportunities

ConsLack of real focus/investment on professional development for non-management employees; non-competetive salary schedule

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!