GEICO

Updated August 20, 2014

3.2

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely
Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • The benefits are very good with the best thing being the profit sharing (in 180 reviews)

• Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life) (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Outdated claims systems and equipment, only reasoning that is given is "low cost provider" (in 23 reviews)

• Had a long commute to the city where the call center was located (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic pay/benefits with a growing company offering many advancement opportunities.

Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster
    Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster

Pros

As an Auto Damage Adjuster with GEICO, I've discovered the following pros:
    - First and foremost, working as an Auto Damage Adjuster is the BEST entry-level job at GEICO by far. Most of the bad reviews I see on this site for this company are related to the call center cubicle jobs that can be inherently mundane and can have a high turn over rate.
    - Best-in-industry training set me up to hit the road running. I felt very comfortable coming out of training in an industry I've never worked in before. Body shops have also told me GEICO adjusters are noticeably more knowledgable coming out of training than other insurance company's adjusters.
    - Great pay and raises. Pay during training was good and the added overtime offered (which only better prepared me for the real job) made the total pay during training to be fantastic. The company rewards adjusters who do their job as expected. Within the first 12 months after training, the annual salary increased by almost $10k.
    - Benefits for myself and my family have been great. Medical/Dental/Vision coverage is offered. When my wife gave birth to our child, we only paid around $300 out of pocket for the hospital stay and everything else involved in the birth (ie charges for drugs and lab stuff).
    - It is not a desk job. It is refreshing not being stuck in a cubicle all day. I do have a work laptop I have to sit down with and write up estimates, respond to emails and work on other admin tasks, but much of the job is out and about in the body shops, face-to-face with customers, inspecting vehicles at tow yards or driving from place to place.
    - Work is not boring. The work day/week flies by and no two days are exactly the same.
    - A lot of room for growth within the company. GEICO is a large company and is still growing rapidly. This means a lot of opportunities to grow and promote within the company and there are always openings, in many different areas, all over the country.

Cons

- Auto Damage Adjuster training is rigorous. 12 weeks of training, with 4 weeks in Washington DC, was definitely a sacrifice for me and my family. GEICO paid for travel, hotel and food for me, but it was tough being gone for so long. My family could have gone with me (GEICO of course wouldn't cover their expenses, but they could have stayed in the same room as me), but that wasn't a viable option for us. During training there are tests pretty much everyday and high GPAs are required to maintain your spot in training, otherwise you're fired. This made for stressful days, but looking back on it, it is all doable and wasn't THAT bad.
    - Some days can be almost overwhelmingly busy. When reported claims are higher than normal (ie after a hail storm), we can have days or weeks that are extremely busy and have a high workload.

Stay ahead of the growth curve by making sure staffing needs are met.

Great at first

Pros

Great pay and benefits and training

Cons

You can work really hard and get great stats and still never be promoted

Good atmosphere

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in Dallas, TX

Pros

There's no micro managing & everyone wants the best of you, for you. There's constant movement, so a promotion is always around the corner. The benefits are good, although there's no short term disability. The work schedules are diverse with 8 hr/5 day shift times or 10 hr/4 day shift times. If your numbers are good, you can pick the best work schedule for your life.

Cons

Parking- The company has grown so much that there's not enough parking on site, so you have to park off site then take a shuttle to get to the building. Which means you have to get to work earlier & you can't move your car during lunch (takes up too much of your lunch time).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of great opportunities to invest in yourself, both financially and professionally.

Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent  in  Coralville, IA
    Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Coralville, IA

Pros

Benefits are excellent, profit charing is consistent. Corporate culture is enjoyable. Company constantly aiming for growth in every office and department.

Cons

Easy for tenured agents to get passed up by new hires. Primarily a customer service phone job - taking back-to-back calls all day can wear you down.

Geico

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Macon, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Macon, GA

Pros

Good company atmosphere ...a lot of food

Cons

Pay is not where it should be for what you have to deal with...I've heard numerous people complain about promotions .

There are a lot of qualified people from within that are overlooked for promotions/mgmt programs because of brown nosing

As a recent college grad I am making very good money.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL

Pros

Great opportunities for promotions and raises if you are a hard worker. Great pay.

Cons

If you don't like being a total workaholic and never having a home life, it can be a very hard place to advance and earn raises. The metrics system has become far too rigid and allows for little to no error, which is unrealistic, and which makes it difficult to earn raises.

Moderate expectations of employees with opportunities to excel with an outstanding work ethic and creative ideas.

Current Employee - Product Modeling Analyst II  in  Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Product Modeling Analyst II in Chevy Chase, MD

Pros

Decent health care, good profit sharing, and OK time off, good sick and personal time policies. Lots of opportunities to learn and move within the company.

Cons

Pay is not spectacular, building is old and crappy, dress code is outdated for analysts, and a number of your coworkers will be pretty dumb.

Improve the cons above.

It was very fulfilling and rewarding to work here.

Former Employee - Java Developer  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Java Developer in Baltimore, MD

Pros

The work environment was great, as were the people. There were numerous opportunities for personal growth and that's a big plus.

Cons

Not enough company perks or incentives.

Offer more activities for workers to take part in to promote interaction between each other.

Solid position but high turnover

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative  in  Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in Fredericksburg, VA

Pros

Where I live, there are very few companies offering entry-level positions with comparable pay and benefits. There is plenty of room for advancement, tuition reimbursement, and profit sharing.

Cons

Typical call center environment. Many people aren't cut out for this type of work and thus burn out quickly, leading to high turnover. As a result, call volumes tend to remain high and it can be taxing not having a moment between calls to decompress. This is my experience with claims, as the caller will likely be more stressed out than usual, but I imagine it is similar in other phone positions at the company.

Staff more adequately for evening shifts. Call volume spikes significantly when most teams leave at 4:30 and continue to rise as other teams drop off. Wouldn't hurt to have a bit more people taking calls at that time.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

Pros

GEICO really knows what to do if they want you to work for them. They pay most people more than they could find elsewhere with their skillset, they're really good at aligning people to a job they will excel at and they also have pretty good options for upward mobility.

Cons

My experience has been that if the company wants you in a particular position, they're likely to keep you there. Many people feel as if they'll never amount to anything and it's commonly spoken how much hatred their is to being attached to a phone all day (for phone positions, obviously).

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!