GEICO Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
3.1

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely
Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • the company offers a profit sharing plan which is the main driver to employee retention (in 197 reviews)

• Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life) (in 97 reviews)

Cons
  • Outdated claims systems and equipment, only reasoning that is given is "low cost provider" (in 26 reviews)

• When originally hired shift made for difficult work life balance (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Generally nice people, good business practices

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Well run organization, so you learn a lot just through observation and being there everyday.
    Reasonable performance metrics and ability to advance through hard work.
    My manager was a delight to work with.
    I feel like things that I learned helped me with my later career at other organizations.

Cons

Sometimes ultra low cost mentality can be a bit of a nuisance, but I guess that's a result of the cost management

For your software systems, don't flip flop between architectures / codes all the time. It creates unnecessary cost and risk for the business (and stress for the IT employees). Get someone with a more balanced set of both technical and managerial skills for the top IT management team.

Analyst

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Macon, GA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement is great, benefits are good, stable company, competitive pay.

Cons

Depends on the department. I have had an above average experience in my 8 yrs at geico in 3 different departments.

None

Insurance Sales

Former Employee - GEICO Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - GEICO Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at GEICO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They take very good care of their employees!

Cons

I do not agree with their hiring/firing process.

Great Company

I have been working at GEICO

Pros

+ Pay
    + Job Security

Cons

- None that I can think of

Great Place To Work

I worked at GEICO

Pros

The company is growing and there are very good opportunities to advance with the company. With a good number of regional offices, there may even be opportunities to relocate (mostly at your own expense) for opportunities as well. The training is top-notch. The benefits are great. The only exception to this would be their vision benefits. These are slated to change in 2015 though, and not sure how it will compare.

Cons

I like to think of the environment as being that of an "old business" and so some of the policies are very old-school. I would prefer a more flexible time off policy, but that's not to say what they offer is bad. The company's "low cost provider" mentality is, IMO, somewhat detrimental to advancements particularly in technology.

Great Customers Suck, Employees are Great

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Poway, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will never stop receiving feedback, and your peers are amazing

Cons

sitting for long hours, expectations are kind of lame and split days off

GREAT COMPANY FOR THE MOST PART

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A great company to work for overall and Geico has great benefits with profit sharing on a yearly basis.

Cons

Can be stressful at times since you are required to meet certain metrics in your job which can sometimes be difficult.

Work life balance is hard depending again on the position.

Fantastic pay/benefits with a growing company offering many advancement opportunities.

Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster
    Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As an Auto Damage Adjuster with GEICO, I've discovered the following pros:
    - First and foremost, working as an Auto Damage Adjuster is the BEST entry-level job at GEICO by far. Most of the bad reviews I see on this site for this company are related to the call center cubicle jobs that can be inherently mundane and can have a high turn over rate.
    - Best-in-industry training set me up to hit the road running. I felt very comfortable coming out of training in an industry I've never worked in before. Body shops have also told me GEICO adjusters are noticeably more knowledgable coming out of training than other insurance company's adjusters.
    - Great pay and raises. Pay during training was good and the added overtime offered (which only better prepared me for the real job) made the total pay during training to be fantastic. The company rewards adjusters who do their job as expected. Within the first 12 months after training, the annual salary increased by almost $10k.
    - Benefits for myself and my family have been great. Medical/Dental/Vision coverage is offered. When my wife gave birth to our child, we only paid around $300 out of pocket for the hospital stay and everything else involved in the birth (ie charges for drugs and lab stuff).
    - It is not a desk job. It is refreshing not being stuck in a cubicle all day. I do have a work laptop I have to sit down with and write up estimates, respond to emails and work on other admin tasks, but much of the job is out and about in the body shops, face-to-face with customers, inspecting vehicles at tow yards or driving from place to place.
    - Work is not boring. The work day/week flies by and no two days are exactly the same.
    - A lot of room for growth within the company. GEICO is a large company and is still growing rapidly. This means a lot of opportunities to grow and promote within the company and there are always openings, in many different areas, all over the country.

Cons

- Auto Damage Adjuster training is rigorous. 12 weeks of training, with 4 weeks in Washington DC, was definitely a sacrifice for me and my family. GEICO paid for travel, hotel and food for me, but it was tough being gone for so long. My family could have gone with me (GEICO of course wouldn't cover their expenses, but they could have stayed in the same room as me), but that wasn't a viable option for us. During training there are tests pretty much everyday and high GPAs are required to maintain your spot in training, otherwise you're fired. This made for stressful days, but looking back on it, it is all doable and wasn't THAT bad.
    - Some days can be almost overwhelmingly busy. When reported claims are higher than normal (ie after a hail storm), we can have days or weeks that are extremely busy and have a high workload.

Stay ahead of the growth curve by making sure staffing needs are met.

STRESSFULL JOB

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Macon, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Macon, GA

I worked at GEICO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company pays you well.

Cons

The company did not care about the employees.The company pays you well but they stress you out so much that your health declines and you can not enjoy it

Management care about you as long as you put the numbers on the board and doing a good job but the care less about life circumstances that may cause you to stumble for instance, your mom died or you were just diagnosed with Lupus or MS.

Intern

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at GEICO as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

During my short stay, I did acquire a lot of information in a corporate environment I have ye to be a part of considering it was my first internship experience.

Cons

The office culture was not very lively and as a young intern it was not a place to be able to speak you opinions to higher management.