GEICO

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely
Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • the company offers a profit sharing plan which is the main driver to employee retention (in 203 reviews)

• Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life) (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • When originally hired shift made for difficult work life balance (in 26 reviews)

• If "Be the low-cost provider" is improperly administered it could become "penny wise and pound foolish" (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Good people, lots of opportunity for advancement, but work/life experience is tough at times.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Macon, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Macon, GA

I worked at GEICO full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They pay for licensing. Also a great bonus package if in Sales, and many opportunities to increase salary during the year. Open door policy so able to speak with management at any time. The people working there are pretty nice.

Cons

Hard to balance work/life schedule. Very strict as far as sick days even with a doctors note. Sometimes care more about the phones being answered than your overall health.

Consider revamping time off policy. If you miss a day and you fall under a certain dependability standard then you are ineligible for raises even if you are meeting your goals. I think at least absences with a doctors note should be excused and not count against someone. Or at least maybe have the normal hit. Also give more fluidity in schedule making. When I started there you could just work every weekend if you wanted too, but now at least in the Macon office you have to work every other weekend. I know it's easier for scheduling if everyone does this, but it makes things harder to plan and lot's of people actually like working weekends.

it was a great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Seattle, WA

I worked at GEICO as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

great benefits, great co-workers, great place

Cons

I have absolutely no cons for this job.

keep up the good work!!

Geico

Current Employee - PIp Adjuster in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - PIp Adjuster in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment
    Profit sharing
    Yearly raises

Cons

Work load is to much.

Great Place to Start a Career

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at GEICO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of time spent training employees and making sure they are familiar with the processes. Leadership varies, depending on what department you are in, but there is opportunity for growth. However, turnover is low so management positions are not offered frequently. Promotions are steady and evaluated each year, though pay increases are very limited. It is a great place to start your career since entry level pay is competitive, a lot of young and fresh team members, strong corporate culture, and the place has a very slow and steady pace to make for a good transition from college to professional.

Cons

Once you get the hang of things, things can get monotonous and kind of boring.

They've built a great corporate culture in the past, but things are getting too bureaucratic that it hinders on innovation and creativity.

Great Experience/High Stress Job

Former Employee - Liability Claims Adjuster in Macon, GA
    Former Employee - Liability Claims Adjuster in Macon, GA

I worked at GEICO full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits. There are many advancement opportunities. Fast growth potential early. Excellent training programs for the job. Good Wages for the area.

Cons

The workload is unreasonable. Your results are set by company goals which can be unobtainable or not within your control. Workload and goals make it almost impossible to be a "Team Player". Constant pressure to succeed. Company growing pains causing many Management re-assigning. Too much negative feedback with little positive feedback.

"It is easy to find things wrong. Look for the things that are right"

geico is a great atmosphere

I worked at GEICO

Pros

geico has a great company culture.

Cons

Work can be tedious at times

Great company to work for, great benefits. Very focused on numbers and goals.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, Benefits. Great support for career development

Cons

Strict "percentage" based attendance and huge focus on numbers

Legal secretary

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in Miami, FL

I worked at GEICO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits! GEICO offers medical dental insurance, 401K and profit sharing. You have the opportunity to work with attorneys and learn from them. This is a good place to work if you want to be an attorney or if you just graduated.

Cons

There's no room for growth, unless you move to Lakeland, Florida where there corporate office is located. It's really hard to get a a raise or get promoted. There's no annual review.

GEICO should open a corporate office in Miami.

Best company I've ever worked for!

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They really aim to make every day fun but still work oriented. Great training, very positive environment, really cares about customers and employees, great health benefits, on site gym, nurse, HR, cafeteria, security, bank, and enterprise. Very stable career with so many opportunities for growth. College degrees make a difference and they will reimburse tuition for business degrees.

Cons

Dedication really matters. Non-dedicated individuals will have a harder time because everyone wants you to try your hardest and want more for yourself. Some people learn that after already digging their own hole.

Keep up the great work!

You're Just A Number

Current Employee - Supervisor in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Poway, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great peers and I like the majority of people I supervise
    -Decent benefits
    -Very stable and well known company
    -No lay offs unless you cannot perform
    -Career development and paths for advancement if you put in the work
    -Promote from within culture
    -Great support for newly hired employees
    -Good pay if you don't have a college education

Cons

-No stable scheduling. As an insurance agent you won't get M-F for at least 5 years unless you're a top performer, you'll get anything you want. As a supervisor, expect having split days off until you're there for 10 years.
    -Extremely micromanaged, my director/manager yell and me to yell at my associates for using time to go to the restroom/taking a few minutes extra on a break or lunch.
    -Goals are constantly and dramatically raised with little or no time to prepare my team or associates.
    -Once you're a supervisor, really no place to go since manager is selling your soul to the company.
    -Underpaid for the amount of work done. As a supervisor you run a team of at least 10 associates and do as much work as people who are managers in other companies. The worst part is maintaining associates HR issues with leave and chasing down your associates to come to work today.
    -Lack of appreciation for associates and supervisors. Managers and Directors create a work environment where success and accomplishments are expected and not celebrated. Company culture that constantly focuses on what you're doing wrong and not doing enough. Complete lack of positive reinforcement and even when you are doing well, it's not enough.
    -An illusion of a "meritocracy" where people are promoted based on qualifications. Directors know who they want as supervisors and managers and only hold interviews to make the selection process seem like a competition.
    -The company is extremely cheap considering they made $20 billion in 2013. When we get free coffee in the department, it is celebrated like Christmas. Good luck trying to get some pens, paper, or a decent keyboard for your computer. You'll have to buy that on your own.

GEICO used to be a fun place to work. I used to be the number one promoter of all things GEICO when I was hired. We seemed to have lost our ways with people in management who forgot that having a happy workforce leads to a prosperous company. There is so much talent in the company that dreads work and gets burned out. We need to refocus on making work a fun place to be and not a grind. I wish this company the best.