GEICO Reviews

Reset
3.1
GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely
Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • Geico likes to keep quiet their profit sharing- normally around 20% of your salary- given as a bonus in spring time (in 203 reviews)

• profit sharing & great benefits package (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • No respect for work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Offices reflect the 'low cost provider' mantra (in 25 reviews)

1,340 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Great Company

Current Employee - Recruiter in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Washington, DC

I have been working at GEICO (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working for GEICO. I wish I stated here right out of college. I love the family environment and the awesome management. GEICO has always taken care of me. GEICO is such a great company to work for!

Cons

I don't really have any cons. I have read though a lot of the other cons and I am sad that everyone hasn't had the great experience i have had at GEICO.

Advice to Management

The management is great! They are always working for their people and do everything they can to help them out. One this I will say is that they are really busy. If I had to give management advice i would say please make more time for your people.

2. Customer Service Specialist

Former Employee - Professional Insurance Counselor in Hamburg, NY
    Former Employee - Professional Insurance Counselor in Hamburg, NY

I worked at GEICO (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful career opportunities and great culture

Cons

A bit more patience during the training process

3. Great Company to work for. Always room to grow.

Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and many departments to chose from. Growth potential is unlimited. Great family atmosphere and working environment. Flexible schedules. Great pay.

Cons

Some hours can be complicated. Alot of drama in some departments. Show less favoritism. Be less strict on dependability and monitor on a case by case.

Advice to Management

Focus less on numbers and more on the people and their skills

5. Good Company but Very stressful Job

Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Poway, CA

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits and great opportunities

Cons

Very high goals to handle 2 major parts of your job. You have to take a certain amount of claims and handle a certain amount of claims.

Advice to Management

Review the claims handlng job itself. The job could be more organized in the sense that you can have a team take new claims and a team that handles claims. That would be less stressful to have to do both.

6. Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The training is excellent. If there is ever a question it will be answered by knowledgeable and experienced agents. The benefits and pay for this position are good. While the standards of service are difficult to meet, your supervisor will always work with you to improve.

Cons

There are a couple of areas in scoring that have ridiculously high standards that are nearly impossible to meet. I understand that customer service is important, but such strict standards as 100% compliance (so, no errors) is a bit ridiculous.

Management Development Program

Current Employee - Management Development Program in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Management Development Program in Fredericksburg, VA

Pros

Good Pay, Decent Training, Management cares. Great job for an entry level position. Reputable company, good benefits

Cons

Interview process was long and difficult, other then that, no real complaints yet- just started and as far as I can tell, should be a great position...

8. Good company, conservative business plan

Pros

Good benefits Great co-workers and decent management.

Cons

Do not support work and home life balance. Overworked and understaffed.

9. Service Representative (Auto)

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at GEICO (More than a year)

Pros

I thoroughly enjoyed working for GEICO. They have an exceptional benefits package and options within that allow an employee to truly personalize their coverage according to their needs. The culture and environment of the workplace was both professional and stimulating. One of the things that really stood out to me was the incredible opportunity for advancement. GEICO promotes from within, which is great for any employee looking to grow and gain experience in a booming industry. With that in mind, supervisors and members of management genuinely understand and appreciate the "day to day" work of each employee. Most of them were in the same position at one point in their respective careers. They're clear about expectations and various opportunities available to each employee and will help you get to where you want to go. I would certainly recommend GEICO to any job-seeker. They provide employees with a marketable skill set and an invaluable experience in a professional/corporate culture that can lead to a prosperous career.

Cons

I'm having a hard time thinking of any real cons. The only thing that I suppose could be portrayed as a con (for entry-level service representatives) is their grading and evaluation of each agent and calls handled. They evaluate everything and are very results (numbers) driven. To be fair, they are very clear on what to expect. This position is not ideal for an individual that has difficulty working under direct supervision and has difficulty accepting (sometimes frequent) constructive criticism. They are always looking for ways to improve and get better. Of course, there are plenty of alternative positions within GEICO to consider as well.

10. Treat you like family

Former Employee - Management Development Program in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Management Development Program in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at GEICO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Promotes from within. Supportive management, pushes employees to their full potential. Supportive co-workers and management.

Cons

Geico was a great company overall to work for, including great benefits. While some departments offer competitive salaries, some departments seem to pay slightly below the average salary for the industry.

Advice to Management

Management was extremely supportive of their staff and are well disciplined in their underwriting. They are very conservative in nature and sometimes slow to adopt new technologies.

11. Great company

Current Employee - Spp Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Spp Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, really interesting work in claims with something new every day. Days go by fast

Cons

Work/life balance, process driven. Not enough time to get all the work done that is needed.

Advice to Management

Ease off a bit on micromanagement

Showing 1,340 of 1,359 reviews