GEICO Reviews

Reset
3.1
GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely
Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • Geico likes to keep quiet their profit sharing- normally around 20% of your salary- given as a bonus in spring time (in 203 reviews)

• profit sharing & great benefits package (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • No respect for work/life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Offices reflect the 'low cost provider' mantra (in 25 reviews)

1,340 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Great Company

Current Employee - Recruiter in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Washington, DC

I have been working at GEICO (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love working for GEICO. I wish I stated here right out of college. I love the family environment and the awesome management. GEICO has always taken care of me. GEICO is such a great company to work for!

Cons

I don't really have any cons. I have read though a lot of the other cons and I am sad that everyone hasn't had the great experience i have had at GEICO.

Advice to Management

The management is great! They are always working for their people and do everything they can to help them out. One this I will say is that they are really busy. If I had to give management advice i would say please make more time for your people.

Geico is to be avoided at all costs.

Former Employee - TA2 Claims Adjuster in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - TA2 Claims Adjuster in Lakeland, FL

Pros

The only thing I enjoy about working for Geico is the name recognition when speaking to friends and family about where I worked. They are all like “oh yeah, we know geico, we love their commercials”. If they only knew that the commercials were the only highlight of the company.

Cons

Geico has a horrible reputation for underpaying and over working its employees. Salaried employees are given 15 hours of work to do in a 7.75 hour day. Unpaid overtime is a unwritten requirement if you want to keep a positive rating. There is no respect from management. There is no loyalty from the company when posting jobs to promote to. They would rather bring in someone from the outside who has no insurance experience instead of promoting from within. Their attendance policy is ludicrous. You generally get 2 weeks vacation and a week or so of sick time. If you use more than 3 days of your sick time, you better have FMLA or your “dependability” rating will fall below a 97% and you will be written up. If you want to use your vacation time, you must ask off literally 4 to 6 months in advance, otherwise the days will be blocked out. Geico tries to portray itself as an insurance company…but in reality, you are nothing more than a glorified call center phone rep. Geico is the only company I have ever heard of that makes you give back the per diem they give you when they send you on business trips if you don’t spend every single penny. Then they tell you what you can and can’t use it on. Oh they will continually tout that they offer profit sharing…. That’s all you will hear all year long… “we have profit sharing, we have profit sharing” “we can’t give you more than a 1 – 2 % raise because we have profit sharing” The fact is, profit sharing isn’t guaranteed, and while it has been pretty high the past few years, when added to my normal salary, it barely brings it up to the low end of the pay scale for the same position with other companies.

Advice to Management

Learn to respect your employees. Hire competent management staff. Pay decent salaries to ALL employees. Get rid of the “dependability” rating system. Get rid of the “rolling 12 month calendar” and replace it with the Jan – Dec fixed calendar. Stop implementing policies and procedures that are designed to keep employees from getting the highest merit raises and promotions possible. Stop trying to find new ways to dissect every second of every minute of every hour the employee is clocked in. Quality of work is better than quantity. Geico has yet to learn this.

If you're here, use it as an opportunity to go somewhere else soon.

Current Employee - Something That Doesn't Reflect What I Do in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Something That Doesn't Reflect What I Do in Chevy Chase, MD

Pros

People of average intelligence can be seen as geniuses.

Cons

Career opportunities revolve around favoritism, sycophancy, and being slotted for management since you were recruited. Most of the latter though leave for someplace better within a couple of years.

Advice to Management

Our customers don't see the world the way you do. Quit assuming that they do.

5. Geico is ok

Current Employee - Systems Analyst II in Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst II in Chevy Chase, MD

Pros

The reason 99.9% work there is the profit sharing, the individuals grand fathered into pension and alternative work schedules

Cons

I believe Geico is a profitable company, I don't read the profit/loss documents, but they appear to know how to run there insurance business; however the level of internal politics is amazing, the concept of "internal customers" needs to be abolished along with the boot camp The worst hospitality company ever, sodexho, needs to be replaced asap

Advice to Management

Call center does not operate like claim adjusters like IT like sales. you can not apply the same operating procedures to all the different departments, i guess it makes managing the groups easier

6. HORRIBLE

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative 62 in Woodbury, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative 62 in Woodbury, NY

Pros

Its a job and good training to take elsewhere, The training is insane. You are not allowed ANY days off for 6 months. But it is informative. When other insurance companies see you worked for GEICO they are quick to hire. They know you have good customer service training as well as knowledge of Auto insurance.

Cons

Lack of room for advancement, pigeon hole you as far as salary, the management is crap. They apply policies when and to whom they please. Having time off is impossible. If you are sick you better have a DR note and make sure its notarized.

Advice to Management

My advice to Woodbury Service management would be to quit. You are horrible at your job and your employees have no faith in you and pretty much hate you.

Sad place to work

Former Employee - Human Resources Professional in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Human Resources Professional in Washington, DC

Pros

decent benefits package, steady working environment, friendly people

Cons

low salaries, discrimination, bad interviewing process, poor management

Advice to Management

please get a clue, speak to all your associates candidly and figure out what is actually happening in your departments

GEICO- Even a caveman wouldn't want to work here.

Current Employee - Senior Employment Specialist in Woodbury, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Employment Specialist in Woodbury, NY

Pros

The benefits are good and what future employer hasn't heard of GEICO? My coworkers were friendly and helpful. I can't thank them enough for making the experience bearable.

Cons

Favoritism, incompetence of upper management, zero respect, no way to advance to anything meaningful.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to the feedback from the employee surveys. You may have noticed how horribly the company did on the last one.

Think twice before applying -- must be willing to put GEICO before your family

Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Stafford, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Stafford, VA

Pros

The benefits are great, however it's not enough to compensate for the stress and pressure workers are put under day to day. Delivery dates are aggressive often requiring 10 hours days to complete and reach set goals.

Cons

GEICO is known as the "low cost provider" for a reason. Workers suffer the most with low pay increases and limited parking options. GEICO also expects workers to show for work regardless of weather and illnesses.

Advice to Management

Management should be mentors and set an example for others.

Don't Ever Apply To Work Here

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Poway, CA

Pros

They will pay for you to get your license. Once you get it, run like hell to another insurance company. The only legal sweatshop in America.

Cons

New employees no longer get a pension because the company is so cheap and greedy. The average raise is 75 cents per hour each year, provided you are not on a warning. It is an "at will" employment with GEICO, which means you can be fired for any reason at any time. They like to instill fear and intimidation with employees. Turnover is really high due to how they treat their employees. The goals they set are difficult to achieve so they don't have to pay you a raise. They like to hire new employees who make less to replace employees who have been there a while who make more money.

Advice to Management

Clean house and get rid of all the poor managers and supevisors.

RUN - Do not walk As Fast As You Can Away From The Application For Employment

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

GEICO, or more appropriately called by those of us who work here, "SLAVECo" has to be the worst employer and job that I have ever dealt with in my life. SLAVECo will interview you and smile, pat you on the back, shake your hand and love you all the way to training. Once training begins, it's like they've pushed you down a very high slide. You enjoy the ride until you hit bottom, face first into the dirt ... the actual job itself. Once you're on the floor you are expected to be an autonomous robot claims drone - read everything you say from a script that changes weekly, be careful how you conjugate your verbs! And dread the feared "A Call" when you get scored down for the pick of the week in mark downs. Wait until your Manager talks to you about why you arent meeting your goals - and you tell her that its because you dont know exactly what your goals are because they change every week. She'll look at you with her eyes bulged out of her head and tell you you should have got in in your email. Along with the 400 other pieces of garbage that pop up every day telling about free this or come and get something but that's only for the people who arent tied down to a phone and aren't even allowed a potty break without it counting against theire rating. SLAVECo is a horrible company. They treat their employees worse that dirt. Of course that is my opinion and my experience. RUN , do not walk away from applying for a job here!

Cons

Management ... Zero Respect for employees Management ... Unrealistic goals and expectations

Advice to Management

Clean house with management. Promote people who have actually done the job and know what they are talking about and can do more than read stats on spreadsheets showing how many seconds someone was in the bathroom in a week.

Showing 1,340 of 1,358 reviews