GEICO

GEICO Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely

Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros:
  • "The benefits are very good with the best thing being the profit sharing"
    in 169 reviews
  • "Great benefits, generous profit sharing, a lot of advancement opportunities"
    in 77 reviews
Cons:
  • "If "Be the low-cost provider" is improperly administered it could become "penny wise and pound foolish""
    in 22 reviews
  • "When originally hired shift made for difficult work life balance"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Awful.

Inside SIU (Former Employee)
    Getzville, NY

ProsSteady paycheck. Job security. Good health benefits. Room for advancement, especially if you make the right friends & know the right people.

ConsMicromanaged to a fault. Poor, unprofessional upper management. "Boy's Club". Terrible supervisors. Terrible training. No coaching/mentoring for new employees. Poor total compensation when compared to other companies in industry. The time off allotted has impossibly strict guidelines regarding how it can be used. NO work/life balance. Upper departments treated same as entry level. Rated goals often impossible to meet with the workload given. Not provided quality/working equipment to do the job you are required to do (ie. phones, computers, monitors, a working printer...) "Low cost provider" but sadly it's the employees that end up paying for that philosophy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTear down current business model regarding employees & start over.

who are you kidding

Staff Attorney (Current Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsThe economy is getting better so find some place else to work

ConsThe work load is tremendous. The equipment is obsolete as well as the managers are slave drivers left over from biblical times. The only thing missing is the whip. However the belittling of the employee is a common practice as if the corporation actually trained managers on how to do it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful how you treat people and your support staff. You claim to be on the same team well treat us like a team. I am from staff council and know the cause and effects of the abuse going on in the office. Like I said the economy is getting better and eventually your employees will leave with out notice and all at the same time!!!!!!

Lots of job fairs= lots of turnover

Claims Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Poway, CA

Pros-Profit sharing
    -Benefits
    - Had to write 5 words...this should do it

ConsFirst, I am almost positive that nearly all of the 4&5 star reviews on this site are "purchased reviews" to make the company look better. Just read them, and note how 4 or 5 great reviews are all back to back. They can't get people into their job fairs unless they counter the negative reviews out there.

Second, I was a claims supervisor in Poway and I can say that the negative reviews are true. There is little "good" happening at Geico. After drinking the Kool-Aid for 10+ years I started realizing the grass isn't blue and the sky isn't green. Seriously, it's that bad! I felt brainwashed into believing that micromanaging my associates was normal. I was an angry and anxious person while there, and bought into the corporate abuse they required that I impose on the line adjusters. Once I woke up from the daze I knew I had to escape. I feel like I left a cult!

I am not a bitter ex employee- I quit. I was moving up but my conscience got in the way. As bad as these reviews sound NOTHING comes close to describing the true environment inside Geico. Nepotism, retaliation, harassment- all exist in abundance. I left and took a job for less money but my new employer does not engage in or condone emotional abuse.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow kindness and be "human." Your employees are traumatized and medicating to cope with their job. You can change, and should change....make the change!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They reel you in with so many promises and never follow through.

Lakeland, FL

ProsThe pay along with profit sharing can't be beat. Also the benefits are pretty good.

ConsEvery move you make, every breath you take is being watched and tracked and if it can be held against you- it will. That sentence sounds crazy, but it is literally true. I work a 11hr shift and have to sign out 'personal' to use the rest room and receive only 10mins per day! This isn't a small building where I can be in and out within 3mins, ESPECIALLY if you're having other restroom issues. If you go over your 10mins, be prepared to be yelled at and have it go against your 'dependability'. Which is something else that is ludicrous, the rules for missing work are outrageous and if you fall below the company standard of 97%, you immediately are put on a 'warning' and told you can't even be 5 mins late for 3 entire months or YOU'RE FIRED! If you're below the insane 97% you can't switch departments, you can't attend school, you can't do anything until ONE YEAR from the day where you "lost" the day that made your dependability go down. They run there company with no compassion or care, you could work there 10 years and if your "numbers" aren't that great for 2 months, that is grounds for termination... and they WILL terminate. BTW the numbers consist of how many calls you handle a day and survey results, etc. Because those are things that YOU can determine, right? Ha! Ridiculous. The stress isn't worth it. And just a side note: the average tenure of all employees is 1.5yrs!! I wonder why, if it is such a great company to work for? Because it isn't. RUN!

Advice to Senior ManagementBack off. You're torturing people just to meet some "numbers" somebody with a grand idea came up with.

Extremely stressful

Sales Agent (Former Employee)
    Macon, GA

ProsBenefits, pay is good but not good enough for the amount of stress you go through, and I lost weight due to stress.

ConsNo work life-balance, very micro managed. Every move you make you are watched. You have to sign out to go to the restroom and don't dare stay out over a minute because you will be counseled! Goals are unfairly set. You have to pull up every application on a customer and each call counts against you. I you can't turn a "I just have a question" into a sale, don't go to geico. If you are not meeting goals you will be fired, no second chances. They will give you an opportunity to get a job in another department, but the other departments judge you on how you were doing in your current department! If you're doing bad in your current department then of course your numbers are going to be low so duh…that's why you're trying to go to another department. So in the end you end up being fired. Yes this happened to me. I left a job of 4 years to go to go Geico and be fired after 8 months. Now I'm unemployed and on the job hunt again! Thanks Geico!!

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, they won't listen.

Just don't

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI can't think of any pros.

ConsDon't work here unless you enjoy being screamed at by customers all day.

poor choice

Senior Outside Investigator (Former Employee)

ProsYou can work from home

ConsCurrent manager micromanages closed minded.

Terrible Management and HR

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee)
    Virginia Beach, VA

Proscafeteria is ran by Aramark; very organized and great food

ConsRe-evaluate management in claims area;

Advice to Senior ManagementEven though this person is no longer at VA BEACH location they need to re-evaluate upper management for buddy system, because I should have never been fired due to a retaliation from a claim annotated incorrectly by another representative that was forwarded to me!! When I asked Floor manager to have this reviewed by the previous reps sup and call center they did NOTHING!

I scratch your back, you don't scratch mine

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Poway, CA

ProsThe pay is competitive for a job that doesn't have education requirements. There are also very good benefits.

ConsEven if you are very good at what you do, this job is stressful. Five times more energy is put into telling you what you did wrong (and I'm not talking about coaching) than commending you for what you did right. Preach education, but not flexible enough to work with you on an internship needed to graduate.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that people are NOT perfect. The things that are "required" within your conversations will change every week. If someone who normally adapts well to changes, and is overall a very good agent, has trouble adapting to one of the many changes, a brief conversation would be nice rather than calling them out in front of the team and telling them in an email that you "expect" them to be "perfect." A good manager knows that there is no such thing, and does not joke about the situation later asking, "are you still mad about the email?"

Would not recommend to ANYONE

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Buffalo, NY

ProsThe hours were very steady, and the pay was very good for an entry level job. I didn't personally need it, but it is nice that health care was offered. Profit sharing is another great benefit, but that's about it.

ConsThe criteria for quality phone calls was never properly conveyed to me. I always asked for more help in order to better my performance, but I was never supplied with said information. How am I supposed to adhere to company guidelines when I am not made aware of what is expected of me? Additionally, the constant changes in what was, and wasn't required is dizzying. To be told to do something so you don't lose a call, and then scolded for your lack of efficiency is really disheartening. Company culture is very political, and negative overall.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is all of this talk about company growth, and advancement potential, but this is a myth. There was nowhere to go, and the seriously negative atmosphere was giving me real axiety issues. The support says they are there for you, but when you really need help your supervisor doesn't have the time to help you. Also, don't lie about promoting from within when you're hiring managers, and supervisors off of the streets with no experience of what the job actually entails. If a manager can't answer an insurance based question they shouldn't be managing.

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!

GEICO Videos

GEICO – Why Work for Us?

Government Employees Insurance Company. Puzzled, are you? Well, the name goes back to the beginnings of the company. Founder Leo Goodwin first targeted a customer base of U.S. government employees and military… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GEICO reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GEICO CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely. All 754 reviews posted anonymously by GEICO employees.