GEICO Reviews

Updated September 11, 2014
3.1

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely
Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • The benefits are very good with the best thing being the profit sharing (in 180 reviews)

• Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life) (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Outdated claims systems and equipment, only reasoning that is given is "low cost provider" (in 23 reviews)

• Had a long commute to the city where the call center was located (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

Get ready to pop a Xanax

Current Employee - GEICO Sales Representative  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - GEICO Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at GEICO for more than 5 years

Pros

benefits , profit sharing ...nothing else

Cons

Unprofessional management, getting time off is just about impossible unless its scheduled two weeks in advance...micromanagement, racist situations get brushed under the table by hr..and the same people you report get promoted.You are only a number, no matter how long you have worked there no slack is given if you are not hitting the numbers (which they change at the drop of a dime). Horrible schedules catered to workaholics w/out family life. Geico would rather hire outside of the company (people with no insurance experience will become supervisors within a year or two)while you are still sitting on the phone taking call after call lol. If you are gay or bisexual its a perfect place to work very open. Apparently the tattoos and jade green hair and piercings are acceptable now (they werent at my interview)because thats all i see in the halls now. The computer systems are always crashing more money needs to be spent on this and retraining clueless supervisors instead of flying Geico banners attached to planes across the sky. Geico prides itself on no layoffs...true...this is because you will be fired if you do not conform to the happy go lucky culture, brown nose or basically become a super agent. My department hires a lot of younger women without children, who actually have been heard saying they dont like children (which is fine) but disturbing when you have to request a schedule change because of a child .Everyone knows your business. If you discuss something with a supervisor there is no confidentiality. You will be wrote up for numbers constantly so keep track of them because their system wont,take my advice and write down every sale you get The IT department is never around and neither are the supervisors. They are walking off and laughing together or complaining because associates have questions or need assistance...they get paid at least $55000 a year...thats the least they can do. In a nutshell you are micromanaged, underpaid ,unappreciated...if you can hold out profit sharing or the illusion of a bonus check is the only thing that will keep you there but the company is unprofession down to the people that work in their Credit Union (but thats a whole new review!) hope this helps i could write a book about this place.

people are more than numbers ALL supervisors should be required to take SM18 AND SM19

Turn and burn

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great health insurance offered to their employees.

Cons

Employees are constantly told/made to feel like they are never good enough as a motivational tactic, as well as, dangling the idea that you could lose your job at any moment. Management leads through fear and intimidation. Upper management speaks poorly (makes fun of them) about the line employees behind their backs.

Be careful of the way you talk about employees... you never know who is listening.

Terrible Experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, profit sharing, great coworkers, challenging work, good licensing instructors

Cons

EXTREME micromanaging, nepotism from all corners, constantly changing goals, horrible time off policy, lack of incentive to stay, lack of promotional opportunities,

Less micromanaging, more treating the employees like humans and not herding them around, constantly changing goals and making it seem that unless they produce high numbers, they are nothing but cattle. The profit sharing is nice but it's just a small drop in the bucket when compared to how awful they can make you feel for making one mistake and how terrible senior management can be at communicating changes until the very last minute.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Impossible Expectations. (Sales Assoc)

Current Employee - GEICO Sales Representative
    Current Employee - GEICO Sales Representative

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great benefits.
    -Profit Sharing
    -Competitive Pay (For the Area)
    -Vacation Time After 6 Months

Cons

Where do I start?

Management always speaks down to you in a condescending tone. If you're not hitting your "numbers" they will hold your job over your head as a scare tactic. Their coaching always outweighs any praise of your accolades. You're only an employee number to them at the end of the day.

I've had a supervisor call me his subordinate. I've also been told that I was only getting paid to talk (although I've made the company thousands of dollars). The atmosphere is a pressure cooker. No wonder the average career for associates are 1.5 years. The only thing that matters to upper management is the bottom line... How much money the company is making & how little they can pay their employees.

Whenever you voice your opinion you're look at as having a bad attitude/creating a bad work environment. "This is the way it is-If you don't like it work somewhere else." No wonder associates choose employment elsewhere for less compensation. It's not worth the stress. If I knew what I was getting into, I would of never signed up.

Listen to your employees!

Disappointed

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at GEICO full-time

Pros

Made some great friends that's about it!

Cons

Poor raises, no respect, dirty office, never cleaned, broken chairs, outdated computers, mice, roaches, bed bugs, dictatorship environment, rules don't apply to all, if you weren't hired into management trainee program you will rarely get promoted, low morale, management states you should stay late and come in on weekends to work for free and give up your personal life and family to succeed, care more about customers than employees, never closed no matter the weather and you get an attitude from management if you don't come in when there is 2 feet of snow or a hurricane, lots of cliques and 2-faced people. Trust no one. Lots of lies and false promises!

Remember the time when you weren't a manager and some treated you like crap!

HIGH turnover rate makes sense now..

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at GEICO full-time

Pros

They pay is fair. At first everything is fun and they really sell it to you. once you get on the floor and on the phones its a different story. you have to like talking on the phone literally all day with back to back calls.

Cons

I can only speak for customer service. Inconsistent information when youre trained. I agree with what someone said before. its kind of a popularity contest. if you are doing well you are praised but if you make an error they are not so nice. they look at you like "why would you do that" and the answer is...IM NEW SORRY! very stressful!! they have a high turnover rate for a reason. you have to like the call center environment agreed. you talk all day with back to back calls. have to remember ALOT and expect to get yelled at by customers. I would not recommend this to any of my friends. I wont be sticking around for long and know of other people that have left and plan to leave. good luck!

Reconsider the way you train the "coaches" and "mentors". they all give different information. They are that nice when they are coaching you. Supervisors are inconsistent as well.

Never let you get anywhere

I worked at GEICO

Pros

Great benefits and other employees are great but company is controlling

Cons

They micro manage and will change the rules of what they expect from you just to keep you down
    If you are not in the managers click or sleeping with one you will never get ahead in this company

Stop micro managing you have had a lot of good people in and out of your company

Management needs to seek higher learning and integrity.

Former Employee - Senior Applications Analyst  in  Chevy Chase, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Analyst in Chevy Chase, MD

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You will learn the objective of the role or position in writing, but in practice you will hit many obstacles due to unhappy staff with low morale all due to incompetent managers.

Cons

Psychological warfare to not pay you your due.
    Guilt trips if you have family or need sick leave.
    Organizational culture is the saddest.
    No inspiration or mentoring ever.
    Management in most of corporate needs to be given the boot or required to get MBA's so they know how to run and manage a business.

Show some respect and pride when managing your group. Take prep classes on people skills and motivation. Be a role model not a fear monger. Cancer and high turnover are high due to some of your tactics...I saw it plenty when I worked there. I advise job seekers to keep looking for an opportunity NOT in GEICO.
    Become an All State customer or Nationwide or Statefarm customer..

Turnover is high for a reason! !

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Woodbury, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Woodbury, NY

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The best part of the job is the pay, profit sharing, and fellow employees. I like that when people fall ill or have a death in their family they will raise money in support. The experience will give you skills that you can use elsewhere.

Cons

I wish I had listened to the reviews and never applied to work here. It's true you aren't anything but a number. One small mistake could bring you from a 5 rating to a 1 rating. The goals are extreme and they constantly change for the worse. I used to love my job. I loved having challenges. Why fix what's not broken. Micro manage everything and favoritism is shown. What's not ok for you will be ok for someone else. So much for the operating principal of integrity. You can't have a family and work here. A doctors note doesn't mean anything. You better pray to God your out for 3 days in a row to qualify for fml. There is no consistency in the answers that you receive from management. If there's a question about anything each supervisor or management will give you a different answer. They train you to speak in certain ways on the sales end to mislead the customer. When I started of course there were guidelines in place but now the "professional" agent is becoming robotic.

Why ask employees what do we think on our intranet and then force us to be silent when we speak up? Revamp the dependability, understand we have families, and give hard workers a fair chance of being promoted.

The Service that is Provided to customers is great, however the way they treat their employees stink.

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent  in  Woodbury, NY
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Woodbury, NY

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Service that is Provided to customers is great

Cons

However the way they treat their employees stink.

Learn to treat your employees better

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!