GEICO Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
3.1

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely
Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • the company offers a profit sharing plan which is the main driver to employee retention (in 197 reviews)

• Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life) (in 97 reviews)

Cons
  • Outdated claims systems and equipment, only reasoning that is given is "low cost provider" (in 26 reviews)

• When originally hired shift made for difficult work life balance (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

It's time to move on.

I worked at GEICO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

stable company

Flexible schedule (depending on which department you work in)

Great benefits

Great opportunity for advancement (depending on who you are and what you do to advance) Will explain more in the cons

Cons

Where do I begin?? Advancement sucks depending on what department you are in. How do you have a department with only 2 people and one person has gotten promoted twice in the last year? The other person... Zero promotions but is going above and beyond with job duties and minimal training. Where is the motivation for the employee that is not getting promoted.

Job post is a joke
    There are so many people who are just put into positions without posting or interviewing for the job. What about others who may want that position and is actually qualified for the position. For example: Sales agent to business analyst... With no IT degree or analyst experience. Another example: Secretary to statical/budget analyst which supposedly is an IT position as well. Again no analyst experience or IT background. Basically geico puts unqualified people into positions. Yes this is ok with the people who get the positions but what about the people who are qualified and have an education for those IT positions. They never get a shot.

This shows you that GEICO doesn't care or recognize a hard earned college degree. What can you expect? Most of the managers and supervisors haven't and don't plan on obtaining a degree so why would they acknowledge or care about their their employees having one.

If you're looking to work in IT for GEICO I suggest bypassing because they don't care about a college degree and they are not competitive when it comes to salaries for IT professionals. Plus others will have the same position and salary as you but not have the knowledge and expertise or education you have which is an insult.

Terrible place of employment

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is good with nice raises. Profit sharing is a bonus, as well as good health insurance. Your coworkers are going to be the best part of your day.

Cons

I've read a vast amount of these reviews and it leaves me wondering... who paid you all to lie so greatly?? Lol. Terrible company with idiotic rules and regulations that truly benefit no one, including the customer. We're told to dance around answers instead of getting straight to the point, but then reprimanded for using extra time on the phone to dance around said answer that we were asked to. If we have a question about something and ask 5 different people (supervisors, pma, managers, etc) we will receive 5 different answers, that of which will get you a "non A" call and you will be in trouble and threatened with losing your job.

Just a little side note, average employee tenure at Geico is 1.5 years.. I repeat 1.5 YEARS! If that's not pitiful, I don't know what is.

I could give advice, but no one would take it. So please, continue to do what you're already doing, it seems to be working at really well!

*sarcasm*

I will be leaving this company soon, with my head hanging down in shame for having to place you on my resume.

Extremely understaffed

I have been working at GEICO full-time

Pros

Pay, vacation time (though I have so much work that I never take it), benefits.

Cons

Management harps on the importance of being proactive not reactive, however, management does not listen to their own advice. They are well aware of how many new customers we have but are unwilling to hire enough employees to cover the rising customer base. Management waits until each employee is stretched as far as possible and then hire just enough new employees to make the suffering employees think that there is hope. I have done the same job for 3 years. I was able to complete my daily workload with ease for the first year or so. Now I come in every day with way more work than any person can complete in 8 hours. And no, they do not pay overtime in my department.

Review the rate that your company is growing and hire in a proactive manner.

don't do it

Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster in Riverside, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

freedom, but you're so busy you won't get to enjoy it.

Cons

VERY high workload, horrible management.

Don't take the job

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster Trainee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster Trainee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Local managers were great.

Cons

Worse experience ever with H.R. during hiring process. You are told you have to be able to travel for 3 months. What they don't tell you is they put you through a training process that is absolutely ridiculous. If you don't keep an 85 percent you get fired. Over a 3rd of our class failed. You go through 8-5 classes and then have to study 3-5 hours every night to try to pass. This wasn't just me this was everyone in the training class. The trainers talk down to you and treat you like dirt. The worse part is the training is over the top with a bunch of things you will never need to do the job. There is a reason they are always hiring. They also pay very poorly and put you in horrible hotels.

Fully disclose what happens in training, no one ever told me about the classes being a either you make it or your out.

Geico the little lizard is a slave driver

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Woodbury, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Woodbury, NY

I worked at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits. People you work with a

Cons

Timed bathroom breaks for the week. Repetitive tedious environment. Followed strict call maps that excluded common sense.

A terrible place to work, employees are overworked and always stressed. THERE IS NO WORK-LIFE BALANCE

Former Employee - Management Development Program, Claims in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Management Development Program, Claims in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, opportunity for career growth and movement within company. The Management Development Program has a fun community feel and a good place to make friends.

Cons

The environment is a difficult one to work in as people are very overworked, overwhelmed and stressed out. It is hard to get time off, and the job is nothing like the training that you receive. It is nearly impossible to complete the job duties in the given work day, so overtime is necessary to complete tasks, but no compensation is given for working early, late or on weekends. You are confined to a small cubicle and tied to your phone and cant leave your desk without permission. THERE IS NO WORK-LIFE BALANCE, its all work, work, work. Good luck if you have a family, because you won't see them as much time as you have to be in the office.

Listen to employees and don't treat them like a claims factory, trying to maximize the number of claims per associate. Stop focusing on quantity rather than quality. Employees are people, not just numbers. Treat them like people.

Get ready to pop a Xanax

Current Employee - GEICO Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - GEICO Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at GEICO (more than 5 years)

Pros

benefits , profit sharing ...nothing else

Cons

Unprofessional management, getting time off is just about impossible unless its scheduled two weeks in advance...micromanagement, racist situations get brushed under the table by hr..and the same people you report get promoted.You are only a number, no matter how long you have worked there no slack is given if you are not hitting the numbers (which they change at the drop of a dime). Horrible schedules catered to workaholics w/out family life. Geico would rather hire outside of the company (people with no insurance experience will become supervisors within a year or two)while you are still sitting on the phone taking call after call lol. If you are gay or bisexual its a perfect place to work very open. Apparently the tattoos and jade green hair and piercings are acceptable now (they werent at my interview)because thats all i see in the halls now. The computer systems are always crashing more money needs to be spent on this and retraining clueless supervisors instead of flying Geico banners attached to planes across the sky. Geico prides itself on no layoffs...true...this is because you will be fired if you do not conform to the happy go lucky culture, brown nose or basically become a super agent. My department hires a lot of younger women without children, who actually have been heard saying they dont like children (which is fine) but disturbing when you have to request a schedule change because of a child .Everyone knows your business. If you discuss something with a supervisor there is no confidentiality. You will be wrote up for numbers constantly so keep track of them because their system wont,take my advice and write down every sale you get The IT department is never around and neither are the supervisors. They are walking off and laughing together or complaining because associates have questions or need assistance...they get paid at least $55000 a year...thats the least they can do. In a nutshell you are micromanaged, underpaid ,unappreciated...if you can hold out profit sharing or the illusion of a bonus check is the only thing that will keep you there but the company is unprofession down to the people that work in their Credit Union (but thats a whole new review!) hope this helps i could write a book about this place.

people are more than numbers ALL supervisors should be required to take SM18 AND SM19

Turn and burn

I worked at GEICO full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great health insurance offered to their employees.

Cons

Employees are constantly told/made to feel like they are never good enough as a motivational tactic, as well as, dangling the idea that you could lose your job at any moment. Management leads through fear and intimidation. Upper management speaks poorly (makes fun of them) about the line employees behind their backs.

Be careful of the way you talk about employees... you never know who is listening.

Terrible Experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at GEICO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, profit sharing, great coworkers, challenging work, good licensing instructors

Cons

EXTREME micromanaging, nepotism from all corners, constantly changing goals, horrible time off policy, lack of incentive to stay, lack of promotional opportunities,

Less micromanaging, more treating the employees like humans and not herding them around, constantly changing goals and making it seem that unless they produce high numbers, they are nothing but cattle. The profit sharing is nice but it's just a small drop in the bucket when compared to how awful they can make you feel for making one mistake and how terrible senior management can be at communicating changes until the very last minute.