GEICO

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely
Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • the company offers a profit sharing plan which is the main driver to employee retention (in 203 reviews)

• Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life) (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • When originally hired shift made for difficult work life balance (in 26 reviews)

• If "Be the low-cost provider" is improperly administered it could become "penny wise and pound foolish" (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Great opportunities for growth for determined & ambitious people! (claims)

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative

I have been working at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training process for claims is VERY thorough. I have heard differently about sales and service but my experience in training was 5 star. I felt very prepared once I got to the floor to do the job I was hired for. Also, I expressed interest in management during my interview due to my degree & previous management experience and I really felt like the HR recruiter, and my training and transitions managers fought to push me and other high performing associates forward--even telling me about positions that I hadn't heard about while I was still in training and encouraging me to apply. Once I was promoted, everyone was very supportive-- not like the "crabs in a barrel" mentality I've experienced with promotions at other jobs. I feel like a lot of how successful you can be at Geico depends on 2 things: what you put into it - you have to be high performing, ambitious and assertive- and what connections & impressions you make early on. It's important to know that going in. First impressions are VERY important.

Cons

Most of the positions (and I can really only speak to claims specifically) you can get hired for even with a degree are entry level. This can be discouraging for someone who has prior work -even management-experience and a degree.
    In addition to that, if you are one of those willing to speak up about process issues-- be prepared for most of that to go unheard. There are a lot of criteria that seem nit-picky related to performance on the floor and they constantly change the things you are judged on without communicating it. You can ask 5 floor supervisors & associates the same question and get 5 different answers on any given day. Some processes & criteria make no rational sense and aren't value-adding at all. You have to be able to slog through all that stuff and perform well despite it. I've also noticed that having a good supervisor and being on a high performing team is hit or miss and that stinks because it can affect your performance a lot, especially when you're new. But that is true of any job. Also if you don't like talking on the phones or public critiques then this wont be a good fit at entry level claims. You need a thick skin to work in customer service at any place but especially here.

Geico does a good job of soliciting regular feed-back in training and transitions, but it seems to taper off a LOT after that. As far as process improvement goes, you can never have too much feedback from the people actually applying those processes every day. Also communicating those process changes quickly and clearly is very important because nothing kills morale & performance more than being judged by an ever-changing invisible standard.

Generally nice people, good business practices

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Well run organization, so you learn a lot just through observation and being there everyday.
    Reasonable performance metrics and ability to advance through hard work.
    My manager was a delight to work with.
    I feel like things that I learned helped me with my later career at other organizations.

Cons

Sometimes ultra low cost mentality can be a bit of a nuisance, but I guess that's a result of the cost management

For your software systems, don't flip flop between architectures / codes all the time. It creates unnecessary cost and risk for the business (and stress for the IT employees). Get someone with a more balanced set of both technical and managerial skills for the top IT management team.

Great company to work for, tons of opportunity to advance

Current Employee - Glass Claims Representative in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Glass Claims Representative in Macon, GA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Geico really tries to show their employees they appreciate them. During certain parts of the year the workload can get crazy and extra hours will be expected but the company knows how to show their gratitude.

Cons

It's s call center, so that speaks for itself. If being tethered to a phone all day doesn't bother you then no worries.

Analyst

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Macon, GA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity for advancement is great, benefits are good, stable company, competitive pay.

Cons

Depends on the department. I have had an above average experience in my 8 yrs at geico in 3 different departments.

None

Fantastic pay/benefits with a growing company offering many advancement opportunities.

Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster
    Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As an Auto Damage Adjuster with GEICO, I've discovered the following pros:
    - First and foremost, working as an Auto Damage Adjuster is the BEST entry-level job at GEICO by far. Most of the bad reviews I see on this site for this company are related to the call center cubicle jobs that can be inherently mundane and can have a high turn over rate.
    - Best-in-industry training set me up to hit the road running. I felt very comfortable coming out of training in an industry I've never worked in before. Body shops have also told me GEICO adjusters are noticeably more knowledgable coming out of training than other insurance company's adjusters.
    - Great pay and raises. Pay during training was good and the added overtime offered (which only better prepared me for the real job) made the total pay during training to be fantastic. The company rewards adjusters who do their job as expected. Within the first 12 months after training, the annual salary increased by almost $10k.
    - Benefits for myself and my family have been great. Medical/Dental/Vision coverage is offered. When my wife gave birth to our child, we only paid around $300 out of pocket for the hospital stay and everything else involved in the birth (ie charges for drugs and lab stuff).
    - It is not a desk job. It is refreshing not being stuck in a cubicle all day. I do have a work laptop I have to sit down with and write up estimates, respond to emails and work on other admin tasks, but much of the job is out and about in the body shops, face-to-face with customers, inspecting vehicles at tow yards or driving from place to place.
    - Work is not boring. The work day/week flies by and no two days are exactly the same.
    - A lot of room for growth within the company. GEICO is a large company and is still growing rapidly. This means a lot of opportunities to grow and promote within the company and there are always openings, in many different areas, all over the country.

Cons

- Auto Damage Adjuster training is rigorous. 12 weeks of training, with 4 weeks in Washington DC, was definitely a sacrifice for me and my family. GEICO paid for travel, hotel and food for me, but it was tough being gone for so long. My family could have gone with me (GEICO of course wouldn't cover their expenses, but they could have stayed in the same room as me), but that wasn't a viable option for us. During training there are tests pretty much everyday and high GPAs are required to maintain your spot in training, otherwise you're fired. This made for stressful days, but looking back on it, it is all doable and wasn't THAT bad.
    - Some days can be almost overwhelmingly busy. When reported claims are higher than normal (ie after a hail storm), we can have days or weeks that are extremely busy and have a high workload.

Stay ahead of the growth curve by making sure staffing needs are met.

Insurance Sales

Former Employee - GEICO Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - GEICO Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at GEICO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They take very good care of their employees!

Cons

I do not agree with their hiring/firing process.

Great Company

I have been working at GEICO

Pros

+ Pay
    + Job Security

Cons

- None that I can think of

Surprised they are listed as fortune 500 company.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at GEICO full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Immediate benefits and potential to earn more money. Also offers many different areas to work in and offices to transfer to.

Cons

Not family oriented. Does not work with employees when they are sick or in need of time off. Many long term employees are forced into early retirement or fired for company to avoid paying full pension.

Although most of the problems stem from middle management it should be the job of upper management to review the termination procedures and make sure they truly are in the best interest of the company.

Great Place To Work

I worked at GEICO

Pros

The company is growing and there are very good opportunities to advance with the company. With a good number of regional offices, there may even be opportunities to relocate (mostly at your own expense) for opportunities as well. The training is top-notch. The benefits are great. The only exception to this would be their vision benefits. These are slated to change in 2015 though, and not sure how it will compare.

Cons

I like to think of the environment as being that of an "old business" and so some of the policies are very old-school. I would prefer a more flexible time off policy, but that's not to say what they offer is bad. The company's "low cost provider" mentality is, IMO, somewhat detrimental to advancements particularly in technology.

Great Customers Suck, Employees are Great

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Poway, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will never stop receiving feedback, and your peers are amazing

Cons

sitting for long hours, expectations are kind of lame and split days off