GEICO Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
3.1

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely
Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • The benefits are very good with the best thing being the profit sharing (in 180 reviews)

• Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life) (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Outdated claims systems and equipment, only reasoning that is given is "low cost provider" (in 23 reviews)

• Had a long commute to the city where the call center was located (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

GEICO is a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits and job training. GEICO believes in promoting internally.

Cons

Salary is lower than average compared to similar companies. You have to rank high to be considered for a promotion. This is fair for most departments but the metric system that is used to rank employees for some departments are not fairly calculated.

Consider a salary increase for some departments. Consider revamping the metrics for some departments.

Its what you make of it

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative II
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative II

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunity for advancement, steady pay check, benefits are pretty good, promotional opportunities

Cons

Micro-management, unrealistic metrics management always changing their minds on how they want things completed usually with little or no notice until you are reprimanded for it and their response for it is well we sent out a email about. Well when am i suppose to read your email when on average I handle anywhere between 50-75 inbound and outbound calls a day giving excuses for other adjusters that are not returning their calls because they are too busy eating or gossiping in a break or the caller that when they don't like the answer even though it is correct and legal decision ( example pending a liability decision until you have the chance to speak with your insured i mean geez you just reported the claim I haven't even had a chance to get their facts of the accident yet before you want me to just write you a 35,000 dollar check for your 1999 Toyota Camry with 300,000 miles on it )

Stop putting so much weight on JD Power surveys and let adjusters do their jobs that's what you pay us for. Revamp your metric system the grading scale is 1-5 how can I score 4/5 in one metric and be rated a 1 where that same 4/5 rating in another metric I am over a 3.5 doesn't make any scene

Constant demands, good rewards.

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tons of opportunity for advancement, and great pay throughout the claims department at any level. Immediate supervisors are hit-or-miss, but most genuinely care and try to go above and beyond for you.

Cons

The crappy constant demands of customers and your supervisors will have you leaving work drained and ready to quit, like literally every day. The work is constant and the rules for making sure you're doing it right are constantly changing. They are very inflexible and if you're providing for a family, they are NOT a family friendly company. Also, if you don't mind being micromanaged down to every last little thing you do, this wouldn't be a bad place for you.

Stop the constant changes that have no bearing on how claims are actually handled; maybe run it by the people actually doing the work. The dependability standards need to be re-worked for the modern world, where most families have two people working.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great at first

I have been working at GEICO

Pros

Great pay and benefits and training

Cons

You can work really hard and get great stats and still never be promoted

Lots of great opportunities to invest in yourself, both financially and professionally.

Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent  in  Coralville, IA
    Former Employee - Licensed Insurance Agent in Coralville, IA

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are excellent, profit charing is consistent. Corporate culture is enjoyable. Company constantly aiming for growth in every office and department.

Cons

Easy for tenured agents to get passed up by new hires. Primarily a customer service phone job - taking back-to-back calls all day can wear you down.

Geico

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Macon, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Macon, GA

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company atmosphere ...a lot of food

Cons

Pay is not where it should be for what you have to deal with...I've heard numerous people complain about promotions .

There are a lot of qualified people from within that are overlooked for promotions/mgmt programs because of brown nosing

As a recent college grad I am making very good money.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunities for promotions and raises if you are a hard worker. Great pay.

Cons

If you don't like being a total workaholic and never having a home life, it can be a very hard place to advance and earn raises. The metrics system has become far too rigid and allows for little to no error, which is unrealistic, and which makes it difficult to earn raises.

Moderate expectations of employees with opportunities to excel with an outstanding work ethic and creative ideas.

Current Employee - Product Modeling Analyst II  in  Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Product Modeling Analyst II in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at GEICO full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent health care, good profit sharing, and OK time off, good sick and personal time policies. Lots of opportunities to learn and move within the company.

Cons

Pay is not spectacular, building is old and crappy, dress code is outdated for analysts, and a number of your coworkers will be pretty dumb.

Improve the cons above.

It was very fulfilling and rewarding to work here.

Former Employee - Java Developer  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Java Developer in Baltimore, MD

I worked at GEICO as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The work environment was great, as were the people. There were numerous opportunities for personal growth and that's a big plus.

Cons

Not enough company perks or incentives.

Offer more activities for workers to take part in to promote interaction between each other.

Solid position but high turnover

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative  in  Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Where I live, there are very few companies offering entry-level positions with comparable pay and benefits. There is plenty of room for advancement, tuition reimbursement, and profit sharing.

Cons

Typical call center environment. Many people aren't cut out for this type of work and thus burn out quickly, leading to high turnover. As a result, call volumes tend to remain high and it can be taxing not having a moment between calls to decompress. This is my experience with claims, as the caller will likely be more stressed out than usual, but I imagine it is similar in other phone positions at the company.

Staff more adequately for evening shifts. Call volume spikes significantly when most teams leave at 4:30 and continue to rise as other teams drop off. Wouldn't hurt to have a bit more people taking calls at that time.

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!