GEICO

www.geico.com
Employer Engaged

Good Company

I worked at GEICO

Pros

Colleagues and benefits, fun day, felxible schedules

Cons

advancement opportunities, pay is not that competitive, brown nosing folks get ahead of you

If you want to be a "suck-up" and you thrive in a matrix environment with impossible goals then you may do well here

Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at GEICO

Pros

The salary at GEICO is decent for what it's worth with good health and other benefits. Typically, coworkers are pleasant to work with and so is senior management. If you can play within the rules and be a "suck up" and do well in a matrix environment, you will be able to do pretty well. Opportunities are good if you fit the framework and are willing to move around the country. Tuition reimbursement is good if you do not have a degree.

Cons

The company will not pay proper overtime or allow for individual growth due to budget deficits. I asked many times to be sent to professional development programs and was always brushed off or ignored. Overtime hours (if even considered) are classified as "premium pay" which is less than 50% your hourly rate. When going on "CATASTROPHE" duty I was only paid regular overtime not CATASTROPHE pay as illustrated in the HR handbook. Supposedly it is at manager discretion if you receive the proper pay or not. THERE IS A LOT OF WORK. You will need to work unpaid overtime to stay on top of your workload and you will have many impossible goals to maintain. If you want no home/family time then you can succeed in this job.

My advice is: don't keep hiring more staff due to turnaround and instead provide better incentives, professional development opportunities and actually pay overtime for people that put in the effort to go above and beyond.

Its ok at first

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at GEICO

Pros

Benefits and pay are the best part and the profit sharing

Cons

The lies, and stress and the way management works. The schedules will keep you from your family and although everyone looks happy they are not. Its a stressful job.

The metrics should be reevaluated. No one is going to buy a policy that is more than what they already pay. And it counts against you.

The overall experience left something to be desired

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Poway, CA

I worked at GEICO full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for a job not requiring education
    Opportunities for advancement based on performance
    Incentives based on performance

Cons

Spending all day on the phone never knowing what you'll get
    Extremely process-driven
    Very inflexible- I was in need of an internship, which the company does offer, to finish my degree. It was the last semester, and the university was OK with students using their employer for the internship (as long as you performed other duties). Despite the fact that the company offers internships, and the school was fine with it, I was told that they could not do it. I would consider myself a good employee, with very good ratings across the board (being modest), and I had been with the company for 2 years. I decided school was more important, finished that semester (with an unpaid internship), and now have a much (all caps) better job. So the con turned into a pro, but it was unbelievable to be in that situation. No other students with a job had that same problem, by the way.

Practice what you preach. The culture is always pushed on you, and they will tell you all day how important retention is. Unfortunately, in my case, a good employee was lost over a lack of flexibility.

Beware

Former Employee - Telephone Claims Adjuster in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Telephone Claims Adjuster in Lakeland, FL

I worked at GEICO

Pros

Great training program
    great insurance experience
    lots of overtime opportunity
    the profit sharing is nice as is the health insurance benefits although expensive

Cons

Get ready working at geico is extremely challenging. It is a very heavy work load and very numbers driven there is no excuse or room for error the pay is extremely low for the workload compared to other carriers.

There is no advice that management hasn't heard. Your pleas of a more managable workload fall on deaf ears. The management seems to go through a dehumanzing mind numbing training that makes them a metric seeking robot. As long as GEICO stays profitable on their skeleton employee base, it will not change and it will be at the employees expense.

GEICO exp

I have been working at GEICO

Pros

Bonus Op.

Pay is great

become licensed

Cons

No personal Time.

Dependability heavily regulated to a fault. (Have one sick day can get you in the hot seat)

It's who you know not how you perform-promoting incompetent college kids

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable income - health benefits

Cons

Rather than promote leaders from within they set everyone up for failure by fast tracking college kids who have never held a real job into management. Work load is unreasonable for majority of employees.

Convert SLP program into IDP to have these kids actually learn a few things before managing teams. The projects from their sorority and fraternity days just doesn't translate into our environment. Return to the promote from within environment. The reality is everyone who isn't an slp laughs at slps. It's not the kids fault- it's geico's for inflating their heads into thinking they are effective leaders.

A good 'for-now' job

Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Auto Damage Adjuster in New York, NY

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Infinite OT
    -Job stability
    -Paid sick time
    -2 weeks vacation to start (accrued over time)
    -Profit Sharing
    -Ever-growing company
    -Company vehicle

Cons

-Overwhelming workload (generates infinite OT, mostly mandatory to keep up)
    -Consistent turn-over due to workload and management practices (ensure job-stability)
    -Continuous negative re-enforcement
    -No Pension
    -Only 401k company contribution from profit sharing
    -Company expectation to essentially work part of your day for free.
    -You will never take one of your breaks, and you will never be paid for working it either.
    -Want to work up the company? Work for free.
    -You pay for partial use on company vehicle
    -Lack of empathy/understanding.
    -Job responsibilities grow everyday.
    -Statistics determining raise/promotion are competitively based. Meaning there is a guarantee 40% will not receive good reviews (raises or promotions). They are also designed to make any hard work look mediocre due to measuring factors.

-Respect, support and provide opportunity to all associates. Practice it.
    -Accept that your staff has work hours and would eventually like to go home.
    -Coaching is supposed to be encouraging, educational and motivational.
    -Your staff and supervisors are so overwhelmed that every claim, re-inspection, and coaching plan is done as a 'going-through-the-motions' act. You can't manage this under-staffed staff, and you can't keep an adjuster productive or efficient if he/she is unhappy.
    -Improve the morale and treatment. Pretend your staff is your PH (since most are), and that your operation practice borderline un-ethical, for when I leave the company, I will take my policy with me.

Too much micromanaging

Former Employee - Claims Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at GEICO

Pros

Higher pay to start
    Structured Training
    Friendly employees

Cons

Micromanaged
    Run down building
    Inconsistent info on pay scale

We get there is always room for improvement, but not everything needs to be delivered in the good-bad-good sandwich style.

Full Time/19 years

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, 401k, profit sharing, dedicated employees

Cons

structure, associate involvement, workload vs associate ratio

listen to the associates needs. Claims needs to be revamped to adhere to guidelines and thorough investigations. Associates have to work over their shift just to keep up with no compensation. Company has grown yet adding employees has not happened