GEICO Reviews in San Diego, CA

Updated October 3, 2014
3.1

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely
Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • the company offers a profit sharing plan which is the main driver to employee retention (in 197 reviews)

• Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life) (in 97 reviews)

Cons
  • Outdated claims systems and equipment, only reasoning that is given is "low cost provider" (in 26 reviews)

• When originally hired shift made for difficult work life balance (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

42 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Customers Suck, Employees are Great

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Poway, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will never stop receiving feedback, and your peers are amazing

Cons

sitting for long hours, expectations are kind of lame and split days off

Amazing

Current Employee - Liability Claims Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Liability Claims Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great promotion opportunity! Job security, great feedback, continuous improvement, positive industry outlook, great customer interaction, amazing compensation

Cons

If you don't like feedback, including constructing feedback, you won't do well here

Keep up the good work!

YOU'RE A NUMBER, NOT AN EMPLOYEE

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Poway, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

profit sharing, really competitive pay, full benefits, set schedule, paid training

Cons

This company treats you like a number. NOT AN EMPLOYEE. Because they only pull and grade a handful of calls, if you have one error and you're at a 98% - you're automatically at the bottom of the pack. You can go above and beyond and be praised for everything you do but if you are a fraction off of their number, you will be stuck forever. They say that there is plenty of room for growth but only if you fit their mold - which is predetermined from day one. There are so many people who are stuck in the same position for years because it is impossible for them to move. When you get hired, everyone is a GEICO cheerleader. Once you realize that their turn around rate is extremely high you realize that most people quit right after they get that profit sharing bonus check. Problem is, it's so hard to find a job that pays you as much, it's hard to get out. The numbers and guidelines are constantly changing so those who get hired after you get the major advantage of having these guidelines benefit them whereas they won't ever allow you that upper hand. Need time off for family or you're sick? They could care less.. if you call in sick, you will be treated in a condescending tone and threatened with a warning even after calling in one time. So don't ever get sick or need time off unless it's planned vacation. It's a huge mess of a company with no consistency. Nothing is ever black and white and there's gray areas for everything depending on which supervisor or manager you talk to. Don't like your answer? Go to someone else and I guarantee it'll be different. NO COMPANY SHOULD WORK THIS WAY.

Take note of the cons that your employees have. This can easily be fixed and you give the employees the opportunity to say something but never put forth any change or actually take action.

GEICO was a great experience

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Poway, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are very supportive of the home work balance. They truely care about about their employees. GEICO understands that if employees are happy then the company has much better likely hood of success.. compensation isn't bad but could be better.

Cons

The hours are harsh for sales and customer service.. Training is long and arduous at times.( necessary).

Keep up the good work for the most part .. Compensation should be a bit better considering what you are asking people to do.

great place to work, if you like being told what to do all the time

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Poway, CA

I worked at GEICO full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-great benefits. very nice 401k match, yearly bonus (profit share), very good "paid time off" accrual
    -decent hourly pay
    -job security

Cons

-management = micro managers
    -always being told how to and what to say on the phones to a customer
    -youre measured on the time youre logged into the phone systems/sitting down at your desk. if youre late from lunch breaks/bathroom breaks those minutes are counted against yo

When setting expectations for your agents, try a day or two in the shoes of said agents and see how much can be done.

Lead by example ... if I were a restaurant manager I would never ask anything from my bartenders or dish washers that I know I couldnt possibly do myself.

Low Rates Result of Low Compensation and Increasing Outsourcing

Current Employee - Senior Applications Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Systems Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable, consistent environment. No layoffs, and backed by Berkshire Hathaway.

Cons

Training is terrible. In IT areas, the CIO had zero IT experience. Management is largely run by people who are technically adept, but have no managerial background or training.

Despite Warren Buffett's opposition to outsourcing, 1/3 of our technical work is done in India by staff with no understanding of the business they support.

Stop outsourcing, pay for professional trading, and document how systems fit together. Keep jobs in the US.

Overall it's a great first full time job

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Poway, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, great benefits, positive environment, opportunity for enhancement

Cons

Pay is good, just not the best

Base level pay is good would like more increase with promotions

Don't get stuck

Current Employee - Insurance Counselor in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Insurance Counselor in Poway, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits, and incentives if your not in the service department. Any one that shines light anymore so than that is a recruiter or current management

Cons

You are a number. Have a therapist. Learn to deal with toxic levels of stress and turnover. Departmental miscommunication is rampant

Re learn the tasks in which you put on your employees. 1 hour of calls is nothing. NOTHING.

Hard work fair pay.

Current Employee - GEICO Sales Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - GEICO Sales Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay for starting and many opportunities for advancement. Great profit sharing every year. Good benefits with 401k and flexible work schedules. Many departments you can advance to in the same area or nationwide.

Cons

Micro management on all levels with very challenging goals. Almost impossible to meet all goals. The company rules for quality and underwriting a policy can change on a daily basis. You must expect to adapt to a changing environment to be the low cost provider with a max profit margin. Learning new material will be part of your daily requirements so try not to miss any time off of work because there will be a lot of catching up to do. You must be there at least 97% of the time or you will fail to meet dependability requirements.

Need to have a daycare center even if we must pay a little extra for it. Will be better for the office culture. A multi billionaire company should be able to have some program for the GEICO families when comes to daycare.

Lots of job fairs= lots of turnover

Former Employee - Claims Supervisor in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Supervisor in Poway, CA

I worked at GEICO full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-Profit sharing
    -Benefits
    - Had to write 5 words...this should do it

Cons

First, I am almost positive that nearly all of the 4&5 star reviews on this site are "purchased reviews" to make the company look better. Just read them, and note how 4 or 5 great reviews are all back to back. They can't get people into their job fairs unless they counter the negative reviews out there.

Second, I was a claims supervisor in Poway and I can say that the negative reviews are true. There is little "good" happening at Geico. After drinking the Kool-Aid for 10+ years I started realizing the grass isn't blue and the sky isn't green. Seriously, it's that bad! I felt brainwashed into believing that micromanaging my associates was normal. I was an angry and anxious person while there, and bought into the corporate abuse they required that I impose on the line adjusters. Once I woke up from the daze I knew I had to escape. I feel like I left a cult!

I am not a bitter ex employee- I quit. I was moving up but my conscience got in the way. As bad as these reviews sound NOTHING comes close to describing the true environment inside Geico. Nepotism, retaliation, harassment- all exist in abundance. I left and took a job for less money but my new employer does not engage in or condone emotional abuse.

Show kindness and be "human." Your employees are traumatized and medicating to cope with their job. You can change, and should change....make the change!