GEICO

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely
Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • the company offers a profit sharing plan which is the main driver to employee retention (in 203 reviews)

• Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life) (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • When originally hired shift made for difficult work life balance (in 26 reviews)

• If "Be the low-cost provider" is improperly administered it could become "penny wise and pound foolish" (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

49 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

long process

Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Auto Claims Adjuster in San Diego, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time

Pros

good money possible advancement

Cons

long hiring process extensive interviews not very flexible for trainig, must be away from home for extended period of time, not good for all people

nothing yet

My first real grown up job

Former Employee - Claims Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at GEICO

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits, schedule choices, and bonus/reward incentives. Opportunity to move up and they'll pay for your schooling as long as you're pursuing something business related.

Cons

can be tedious, on phones all day and talking to sometimes irate people. Hours can be long and stationary

Pay is good, but do more to support team members in advancing in the company

Unrealistic Expectations

Former Employee - Geico Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Geico Customer Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I worked at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary, room for growth if you make the right friends. Training is definitely the best part.

Cons

Belittled by customers 40 hours a week. Management expects perfection even when situations are always different and have extenuating facts. Very vague sets of rules since like I said every situation is different.

Listen to calls in context, realize that the customer is not always right.

horrible, they want you to become a robot

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Poway, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Poway, CA

I worked at GEICO

Pros

good pay, benefits, and treat educated employees different

Cons

the metric system you are graded on, bad management. live eat sleep geico,

Lose the metrics,

Best company I've ever worked for!

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They really aim to make every day fun but still work oriented. Great training, very positive environment, really cares about customers and employees, great health benefits, on site gym, nurse, HR, cafeteria, security, bank, and enterprise. Very stable career with so many opportunities for growth. College degrees make a difference and they will reimburse tuition for business degrees.

Cons

Dedication really matters. Non-dedicated individuals will have a harder time because everyone wants you to try your hardest and want more for yourself. Some people learn that after already digging their own hole.

Keep up the great work!

It began well for my entry level position 10 years ago but has worsened with the years

Current Employee - Bodily Injury Adjuster in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Bodily Injury Adjuster in Poway, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Profit sharing, pay, benefits, gym

Cons

Unrealistic expectations, micro managing, no work/life balance, high stress, most my my department (Claims BI) is in antidepressant/anxiety medication.

You're Just A Number

Current Employee - Supervisor in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Poway, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great peers and I like the majority of people I supervise
    -Decent benefits
    -Very stable and well known company
    -No lay offs unless you cannot perform
    -Career development and paths for advancement if you put in the work
    -Promote from within culture
    -Great support for newly hired employees
    -Good pay if you don't have a college education

Cons

-No stable scheduling. As an insurance agent you won't get M-F for at least 5 years unless you're a top performer, you'll get anything you want. As a supervisor, expect having split days off until you're there for 10 years.
    -Extremely micromanaged, my director/manager yell and me to yell at my associates for using time to go to the restroom/taking a few minutes extra on a break or lunch.
    -Goals are constantly and dramatically raised with little or no time to prepare my team or associates.
    -Once you're a supervisor, really no place to go since manager is selling your soul to the company.
    -Underpaid for the amount of work done. As a supervisor you run a team of at least 10 associates and do as much work as people who are managers in other companies. The worst part is maintaining associates HR issues with leave and chasing down your associates to come to work today.
    -Lack of appreciation for associates and supervisors. Managers and Directors create a work environment where success and accomplishments are expected and not celebrated. Company culture that constantly focuses on what you're doing wrong and not doing enough. Complete lack of positive reinforcement and even when you are doing well, it's not enough.
    -An illusion of a "meritocracy" where people are promoted based on qualifications. Directors know who they want as supervisors and managers and only hold interviews to make the selection process seem like a competition.
    -The company is extremely cheap considering they made $20 billion in 2013. When we get free coffee in the department, it is celebrated like Christmas. Good luck trying to get some pens, paper, or a decent keyboard for your computer. You'll have to buy that on your own.

GEICO used to be a fun place to work. I used to be the number one promoter of all things GEICO when I was hired. We seemed to have lost our ways with people in management who forgot that having a happy workforce leads to a prosperous company. There is so much talent in the company that dreads work and gets burned out. We need to refocus on making work a fun place to be and not a grind. I wish this company the best.

Great Customers Suck, Employees are Great

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Poway, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will never stop receiving feedback, and your peers are amazing

Cons

sitting for long hours, expectations are kind of lame and split days off

Amazing

Current Employee - Liability Claims Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Liability Claims Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great promotion opportunity! Job security, great feedback, continuous improvement, positive industry outlook, great customer interaction, amazing compensation

Cons

If you don't like feedback, including constructing feedback, you won't do well here

Keep up the good work!

YOU'RE A NUMBER, NOT AN EMPLOYEE

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Poway, CA

I have been working at GEICO full-time (more than an year)

Pros

profit sharing, really competitive pay, full benefits, set schedule, paid training

Cons

This company treats you like a number. NOT AN EMPLOYEE. Because they only pull and grade a handful of calls, if you have one error and you're at a 98% - you're automatically at the bottom of the pack. You can go above and beyond and be praised for everything you do but if you are a fraction off of their number, you will be stuck forever. They say that there is plenty of room for growth but only if you fit their mold - which is predetermined from day one. There are so many people who are stuck in the same position for years because it is impossible for them to move. When you get hired, everyone is a GEICO cheerleader. Once you realize that their turn around rate is extremely high you realize that most people quit right after they get that profit sharing bonus check. Problem is, it's so hard to find a job that pays you as much, it's hard to get out. The numbers and guidelines are constantly changing so those who get hired after you get the major advantage of having these guidelines benefit them whereas they won't ever allow you that upper hand. Need time off for family or you're sick? They could care less.. if you call in sick, you will be treated in a condescending tone and threatened with a warning even after calling in one time. So don't ever get sick or need time off unless it's planned vacation. It's a huge mess of a company with no consistency. Nothing is ever black and white and there's gray areas for everything depending on which supervisor or manager you talk to. Don't like your answer? Go to someone else and I guarantee it'll be different. NO COMPANY SHOULD WORK THIS WAY.

Take note of the cons that your employees have. This can easily be fixed and you give the employees the opportunity to say something but never put forth any change or actually take action.