GEICO Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated September 15, 2014
3.1

GEICO Chairman and CEO Olza (Tony) Nicely
Olza (Tony) Nicely

Pros
  • The benefits are very good with the best thing being the profit sharing (in 180 reviews)

• Great benefits that start on day 75 (medical/dental/vision/life) (in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • Outdated claims systems and equipment, only reasoning that is given is "low cost provider" (in 23 reviews)

• Had a long commute to the city where the call center was located (in 47 reviews)

More Highlights

158 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Not Bad

Former Employee - Intern  in  Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at GEICO as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great place to work, great benefits, some decent management

Cons

Slave hours, sometimes crack the whip. They just expect a ton of hard work. It's a call center, so not that great.

Snr Analyst

Former Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible work hours, good profit-sharing benefit

Cons

Management need trained people, need a different corporate culture

Impartial and wise, less nepotism.

Very good

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at GEICO full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits and availability to move around inside the company. Vacation time. Fmla. Getting experience in multiple fields.

Cons

Very to the book. No room for failure. Must be on time. Goal oriented. Not very stable workforce.

Treat all the same

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Commercials For A Great Laugh

Current Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at GEICO as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I just love their commercials. They always make me laugh out loud. It also makes work a lot more fun, because we can laugh about how funny the commercials were last night.

Cons

Sometimes we get so caught up in laughter that we forget to do our jobs. But, that's OK because our manager is also laughing too.

Please stop making us laugh so hard with those crazy commercials. Ha ha!

Moderate expectations of employees with opportunities to excel with an outstanding work ethic and creative ideas.

Current Employee - Product Modeling Analyst II  in  Chevy Chase, MD
    Current Employee - Product Modeling Analyst II in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at GEICO full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent health care, good profit sharing, and OK time off, good sick and personal time policies. Lots of opportunities to learn and move within the company.

Cons

Pay is not spectacular, building is old and crappy, dress code is outdated for analysts, and a number of your coworkers will be pretty dumb.

Improve the cons above.

Solid position but high turnover

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative  in  Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Where I live, there are very few companies offering entry-level positions with comparable pay and benefits. There is plenty of room for advancement, tuition reimbursement, and profit sharing.

Cons

Typical call center environment. Many people aren't cut out for this type of work and thus burn out quickly, leading to high turnover. As a result, call volumes tend to remain high and it can be taxing not having a moment between calls to decompress. This is my experience with claims, as the caller will likely be more stressed out than usual, but I imagine it is similar in other phone positions at the company.

Staff more adequately for evening shifts. Call volume spikes significantly when most teams leave at 4:30 and continue to rise as other teams drop off. Wouldn't hurt to have a bit more people taking calls at that time.

A terrible place to work, employees are overworked and always stressed. THERE IS NO WORK-LIFE BALANCE

Former Employee - Management Development Program, Claims  in  Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Management Development Program, Claims in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at GEICO full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, opportunity for career growth and movement within company. The Management Development Program has a fun community feel and a good place to make friends.

Cons

The environment is a difficult one to work in as people are very overworked, overwhelmed and stressed out. It is hard to get time off, and the job is nothing like the training that you receive. It is nearly impossible to complete the job duties in the given work day, so overtime is necessary to complete tasks, but no compensation is given for working early, late or on weekends. You are confined to a small cubicle and tied to your phone and cant leave your desk without permission. THERE IS NO WORK-LIFE BALANCE, its all work, work, work. Good luck if you have a family, because you won't see them as much time as you have to be in the office.

Listen to employees and don't treat them like a claims factory, trying to maximize the number of claims per associate. Stop focusing on quantity rather than quality. Employees are people, not just numbers. Treat them like people.

Great People, Deceptive Salaries

Current Employee - Summer Intern  in  Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at GEICO as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Profit Sharing - averaging a 21.5% bonus per year is no joke. Makes up for lower base salary.
    People are friendly and always willing to help.
    Promote from within and based on merit, not tenure.

Cons

Can bring poor work-life balance.

Market profit sharing more. This will bring in better candidates who are turned away by the apparent low compensation.

Too much stress..culture of intimidation. Workload impossible to keep up with

Current Employee - Claims Service Representative  in  Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Claims Service Representative in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at GEICO full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I like getting a pay check every 2 weeks. Decent benefits.

Cons

The workload is abusive. Impossible to keep up with. They are constantly making new rules that create even more stress. They claim to have an open door policy, but that is far from the truth. They don't want to hear it. Their attitude is do your job and keep your mouth shut. There's the door if you don't like it. All they care about is their growth, customer survey results, and standing with JD Power associates. I agree those are all important, but instead of having enough employees so that the job can get done without stressing everybody out to the absolute max, they just crack the whip harder if they don't see the results they want. The turnover is extremely high..yet they claim to be one of the best companies to work for. Everybody there is miserable.They don't care about their employees at all. Not one bit. Do your job, don't get behind, keep your mouth shut and pretend you're happy.

This is almost certainly a waste of time because upper management doesn't care what their employees think. But here it goes anyway: You people think that by feeding us and "rewarding" us with trinkets you're improving morale.You think that people like me who comment on these websites about the company are just negative and disgruntled. WAKE UP. The little minions you have that scramble around and kiss up to you are just pretending because they want to get ahead. I would estimate that 85% to 95% of the employees HATE working for GEICO.
    It's because you people stress us out. Let up on some of the pressure and hire enough people for every department. Stop the favoritism and really treat everybody fairly like you claim to.

Stable and decent company, boring

Current Employee - Senior Program Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at GEICO full-time for less than a year

Pros

You pretty much can retire here if you decide to carry all the way

Cons

Pay is not good. No short term disability benefits. No vacation in first 6 months of employment. Boring.

Focus less on working hours of employees, and more on productivity

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!