GENCO Distribution System

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014

GENCO Distribution System Chairman and CEO Herb Shear
Herb Shear

Pros
  • Benefits are good, work environment is professional with systems, HR, quality and accounting support (in 4 reviews)

• Fast paced, challenging, great Teammates (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Quote, "It is cheaper to replace you than hire full time employees, you are cattle" (in 3 reviews)

• There is not a lot to say wrong (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Very fun to work here

Current Employee - Forklift Operator in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Forklift Operator in Mechanicsburg, PA

I have been working at GENCO Distribution System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are lots of overtime work opportunity to make more money

Cons

We work a lot of weekends here

OK could definitely better.....

I have been working at GENCO Distribution System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Accessibility is awesome. You can reach out to any member of management and expect a response. This is from the owner on down.

Cons

There needs to be more direction. Decisions are made on emotional basis and often not fact based. Resources get misplaced on new ventures when they would have more impact on current business.

Need to focus on accountability and less on loyalty. The loyalty is valued but not when it causes more pain and difficulty when issues are ignored.

Long standing aggressive private company.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at GENCO Distribution System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Losts of job opportunities for personal growth. Competitive salary and health benefits. Great working atmosphere. Your coworkers make you feel like this is your second home.

Cons

Outdated software technology. Corporate offices built within a warehouse; therefore, tight parking space. The corporate building is far from becoming a green building.

Upper management should not play favorites. Reward smart employees with true monetary incentives. No sweepstakes gift, please.

Not a Bad Organization To Be A Part Of - But Not Memorable Either

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at GENCO Distribution System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A leader in the industry.
    Work life balance is acceptable.
    Benefits are acceptable.

Cons

Depending on which business unit you work for you can get stuck.
    Management does not follow through with new company-wide initiatives.
    Offices are run down which can be an embarrassment when bringing a customer in for meetings.

Strange

I worked at GENCO Distribution System

Pros

A few really great people there.

Cons

The culture was odd and I never really fit there.

Good company to work for if in need of steady paycheck, but not what you would call a good "career opportunity"

Current Employee - Forklift Operator in Groveport, OH
    Current Employee - Forklift Operator in Groveport, OH

I have been working at GENCO Distribution System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Steady Paycheck, Fast Paced Environment, Decent Work Environment, Some Opportunity for Promotion.

Cons

Lack of Qualified Leadership, Leadership very Disorganized, Mandatory Overtime without being informed beforehand.

My advice is to simply work on your organization skills, reform management especially a lower levels (i.e. Leads, Supervisors). Employees should not feel like their supervisor knows absolutely nothing. Employees should be able to go to their supervisor with a question and get an answer, not "go ask so and so"....

Nice job for College student

Former Employee - Warehouse Processor in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Warehouse Processor in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at GENCO Distribution System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flex-Time
    Overtime opportunities (40-65 hours!)
    Nice People

My supervisor was great, we all knew what we had to do so this cut down on micro management.

Cons

Short Breaks due to security protocols

I would warn potential employees to be aware of changes within the company, especially warehouse employees.

Wasn't there long enough to access this question,

Challanging and rewarding workplace

I have been working at GENCO Distribution System full-time

Pros

growing company with challenging work

Cons

Company has grown very rapidly and management is at times challenged with that growth.

Better than flipping burgers

Former Employee - LTO in Pontoon Beach, IL
    Former Employee - LTO in Pontoon Beach, IL

I worked at GENCO Distribution System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's a steady paycheck, overtime available

Cons

Managements plays favorites, especially if you're related.

Ok as a temporary gig. Horrible as a career choice.

Former Employee - Scanner in Lockbourne, OH
    Former Employee - Scanner in Lockbourne, OH

I worked at GENCO Distribution System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Generally chill floor supervisors and leads as a scanner. Small warehouse. Annual employee appreciation events.

Cons

Where to start? First of all the pay is crap. Second of all you start the job as a scanner thinking it is going to be a 8 hr long a day job. Only soon after to find that you will be on overtime of 10 hours a day for pretty much everyday often "until further notice" so that you have no idea most of the time what hours you work, even while working until 8 o clock. When ether you go on break or have to wait till 8:20 am. Usually having to work a straight 4 days of 10 hour days at the "management's" discretion. The days as a computer parts scanner, are some of the longest and repetitive days you will ever face. If your a guy you will most likely be pulled to the back to the "PNP" area "Printers and Projectors" Where you will have to lift, with the help of one other person, 15-120 pound commercial printers out of the boxes, scan them and then place them back in the shipping boxes and them palletize them. It's literally back breaking archaic labor. To which none of the head people have any care to fix, or make a smoother process.

The management as a whole is a joke. They have no idea of what they are even managing. They send "Engineers" "to streamline the production of printer processing, and make it easier" who come to research the work only one day, and you never see them again. Yet whenever there is a visitor, the management is suddenly full of bright ideas to pitch to heads of contracted companies. These "ideas" are more then empty ideas that wouldn't effect the job you do as they know nothing about what it is you actually do anyway, as they spend all of the time in their offices.

I was a scanner since Feb. of this 2014, Mind you this is a feat that is unheard of in this company as they can't keep people to save their life. I was actually fired unjustly without warning after almost 8 months of smudge free performance for a comment I said undirected towards anyone, walking out the office about getting my time wasted because of being told by my department floor Genco supervisor, to head back to the 'Abacus' temp office in the back of the warehouse to be only be told to stop coming back to the Abacus temp supervisors office by the Abacus supervisor. Of which there was no work-interrupting habit even occurring, as I had only the week before visited the Abacus office to talk about company conversion a couple times the week before. This message was Directed through Abacus supervisor by way of one Genco office's supervisors bored un-weighted complaints. In the end it cost them one of their most loyal and hardworking temporary employees who was a signature away from direct hire company conversion. If you're in need of a job while looking for a job, sure otherwise stay far away from this company.

Step out of the office and actually learn about what your managing. Get off the pedestal and recognize the people, not machines that make it so that you can sit in your office look good and get paid.